Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Old SWG with query

Its been a long time since I played this game, and I never thought I would say this but I miss it sorta so I ask...Whats the game like these days and how many are currently playing it? please answer as nuetral as possible.

I cannot believe how MMO's have gone ass backwards since the early days. I thought by now we would have taken ideas to new heights and have vastly improved versions but MMo's get worse daily.

SWG had so many advantages over the mainstream today.... sure it became frustrating for so many and I stand by leaving it but who knew we would go from immersion to oversized battlegrounds they call "worlds" today?

We should be desinging our houses, writing our own music and have 10 times the jobs we have in games today. We should have real farming, real cooking and so on...at least SWG was headed in the right direction there. Now we have 100 versions of EQ and WoW, with WoW reducing the idea to JUST fighitng and the dumbest crafting I ever thought we would see. I am totally shocked that SWG and UO are still the pinnacle of immersion in MMO's  cry cry cry, but my kids wanna try it again so I ask, is it worth  it ? 

I know in my heart it is not what I wanna do but newer games esp sci fi ones break my heart.... Stargate had a chance to really bring immersion back and instead are making warcraftgate..maybe star trek will bring sci fi some online immersion....

MMo's make me sick to the point where we should all start praising SWG just to get developers to see it had the right ideas just bad management.....down with crap up with immersion and simulation!

Comments

• SlangerSlanger Member UncommonPosts: 280

If the SWG you're talking about is around the time you registered for this site (Pre-CU) Then no this game is not what you want or even close to what you're talking about. SWG has been WoWified (NGE) It is not what you remember nor will it ever resemble what it once was. (according to the CEO of SOE) So if you want that old feeling back this game is not going to give it to you , all it will do is give you heart ache. Unless all you want is to play a Star Wars game, then in that case it wont matter to you what a decrepit state the game is in now.

Currently Playing: Eve-Online
    On the Backburner: EQ2
    Retired: EQ, DAoC, WW2Online
    RIP: AC2
    Tried: Ryzom, Roma Victor, RoM, KH2, Forsaken World, AO, AoC, APB
    Quit: SWG PRE-CU(Radiant/Starsider), WoW

Achiever 47% / Explorer 40% / Killer 87% / Socializer 27%

• TheChronicTheChronic Member Posts: 253

- everyone can become jedi now, it is a starting profession and not as powerful as pre-cu jedis

- 32 professions has been compressed to 9 professions, because world of warcraft has 9 professions, so SOE thought swg should get 9 professions as well since wow has over 8 million customers  (no more teras kasi warrior, rifleman, pistoleer, be-medic, ranger etc.)

- skill-point system has been removed and replaced by something similar to the world of warcraft system

- servers have 5 - 10 % of pre-cu popultation now and most of them are light - very light, but always depending on your location time, sometimes there are 3 - 5 serves with "medium" population

- SOE admited that the NGE was a mistake and John Smedley apologized for the NGE (next generation enhancements), so all the complains from the veterans where right and SOE was wrong, veterans have won, NGE-SWG failed and all swg-fanbois are pretty quite now, including Obraik :D

so basicly you throw 10 bucks out of the window, if you resub to swg, though I can understand that you miss the game, I miss it as well and would resubscribe for a pre-cu version of it...

hope I kept you updated, and as I wrote above: veterans where right with their complaints, even John Smedley admits that by now...

"You must be either retarded or a fanboi..."

• treysmoothtreysmooth Member UncommonPosts: 648

Yeah when they activate my account for a come check out the latest update free period I've messed around but it is nothing like it used to be.  I really want to like it because frankly there isn't anything like SWG pre-NGE, but... I always grow bored pretty quick.  People complained because people used to just group and grind bols and the like for lvls but now trying to find a group is like pulling teeth.  They made a good portion of the game completely soloable. 

Then the big problem, forget the fact that they scraped the skill system and the 32 classes and consider what little is left when you hit 90.  You can grind pvp faction and you can PVP, other than those 2 things your options are limited unless you roll a crafter and then your role in the world has been diminished significantly.  Before I left I had completed the Mustafar quest and long ago finished the Kash quest so the little content that they sprinkle in the game every so often just isn't enough.  Couple these facts with the fact that the game will never get an expansion pack again(the last expansion was canceled after NGE failure) and you really have a game that is lacking in content.

With stuff not degrading the economy is a inflated mess as well so those millions you had when you left don't go to far since everything worth anything runs a small fortune.

Each time I try it again I try to like it but there just seems to be less and less to like each time.  When you couple that with the aging graphics and the combat system that really doesn't fit said graphics engine in its current form and the game is really tough to like.

• TheChronicTheChronic Member Posts: 253

Originally posted by treysmooth

Yeah when they activate my account for a come check out the latest update free period I've messed around but it is nothing like it used to be.  I really want to like it because frankly there isn't anything like SWG pre-NGE, but... I always grow bored pretty quick.  People complained because people used to just group and grind bols and the like for lvls but now trying to find a group is like pulling teeth.  They made a good portion of the game completely soloable. 
    Then the big problem, forget the fact that they scraped the skill system and the 32 classes and consider what little is left when you hit 90.  You can grind pvp faction and you can PVP, other than those 2 things your options are limited unless you roll a crafter and then your role in the world has been diminished significantly.  Before I left I had completed the Mustafar quest and long ago finished the Kash quest so the little content that they sprinkle in the game every so often just isn't enough.  Couple these facts with the fact that the game will never get an expansion pack again(the last expansion was canceled after NGE failure) and you really have a game that is lacking in content.
    With stuff not degrading the economy is a inflated mess as well so those millions you had when you left don't go to far since everything worth anything runs a small fortune.
    Each time I try it again I try to like it but there just seems to be less and less to like each time.  When you couple that with the aging graphics and the combat system that really doesn't fit said graphics engine in its current form and the game is really tough to like.

perfectly said..

amen

"You must be either retarded or a fanboi..."

• RamzeppelinRamzeppelin Member Posts: 101

Well I got the answer I expected, thank you very kindly though, I appreciate the honest no nonsesne replies and the time they took.

I think we should find a way to unite and just decimate developers web sites with cries for immersion!

I cannot be the only one that thought of games to come when I first tried SWG. I loved SWG but I kept telling people about the wave of the gaming future. I said soon we would be truly living in amazing virtual worlds.

What we got instead is a joke, it is such a shame people cannot see that warcraft is NOT huge because of what is doesnt have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone playing warcraft right now (of which there are far less now then once was, 8 million is simply a lie) would love self desinged housing, they would ALL love more non essential jobs that were interactive!!! they would all love a crafting system that was involved and rendered varying results on the same items.

We should admit what blizzard did right if for no other reason to show these cloners they have thier heads up thier arses. The mechanics were flawless much like diablo and the gameplay virtually lag free for the most part.... it had nothing to do with them not doing the things they should have. oh well :P

You're singing to the choir.

I'm in the same boat as you, SWG was the first MMO that I really got into and I was blown away.  I kept telling my friends how it was so cool to be a part of the star wars universe.  The game was really an experiment in virtual worlds.  The problem was SOE pushing it out to early even though the beta testers warned them and then not fixing the bugs in a timely manner.

Thats the ironic thing about the whole situation SWG did not fail because it was a bad game it failed because of the choices the Devs made during that crucial first year.  If only they had listened more to Ralph and maybe went with CURB to fix the exploits in the combat system we could all be playing the most deep and immersive game in the world.

Since I quit SWG I've tried every mmo under the sun to get that feeling of being part of a real virtual world and it feel like a world not a theme park.  At this point I don't see any developers going that route when making a MMO, the cost and risk involved are huge and it takes a truly brilliant team to balance that many classes that can be mixed and matched but if it ever does come along I'll see all the other vets happily in game. 

What worries me the most is the visionary behind the game (Koster) seems to be going in a different direction all together in his pursuits then you have Lord British who after UO might have been the savior of the sandbox style game until he comes up with Tabula Rasa and seems to have adhered to the old tried and true WOW style of game.  Heres hoping that a new mind will develop that world we're all looking for.

Peace

• RamzeppelinRamzeppelin Member Posts: 101

I'm in the same boat as you, SWG was the first MMO that I really got into and I was blown away.  I kept telling my friends how it was so cool to be a part of the star wars universe.  The game was really an experiment in virtual worlds.  The problem was SOE pushing it out to early even though the beta testers warned them and then not fixing the bugs in a timely manner.
     Thats the ironic thing about the whole situation SWG did not fail because it was a bad game it failed because of the choices the Devs made during that crucial first year.  If only they had listened more to Ralph and maybe went with CURB to fix the exploits in the combat system we could all be playing the most deep and immersive game in the world.
     Since I quit SWG I've tried every mmo under the sun to get that feeling of being part of a real virtual world and it feel like a world not a theme park.  At this point I don't see any developers going that route when making a MMO, the cost and risk involved are huge and it takes a truly brilliant team to balance that many classes that can be mixed and matched but if it ever does come along I'll see all the other vets happily in game. 
    What worries me the most is the visionary behind the game (Koster) seems to be going in a different direction all together in his pursuits then you have Lord British who after UO might have been the savior of the sandbox style game until he comes up with Tabula Rasa and seems to have adhered to the old tried and true WOW style of game.  Heres hoping that a new mind will develop that world we're all looking for.

Peace

Amen, tabula rasa matter wif you...lol

That game has gone through so many changes already and somehow it sounds worse every time I hear about it.

I too like you have tried just about every game out there that had any chance of success, with the exception of eve, but that game seems too far along for me to jump into now, even if I do hear good things about it.

The only game I see that might have a chance atm is star trek...I am not a trekkie at all, but I do imagine that at least that game will strive to immerse us so I will be trying it. As for the pack of crao coming down the pike soon only heroes journey has me tweaked a bit.

Dont get me wrong, I'll try games like warhammer and conan but I fully expect to be gone after a month for all of these games, inlcuding pirates of the burning sea and several others....I tried ryzom for free andI hear good things but my short trial left me wondering what they were saying. anyone here like that one?

I tend to be more trustful of SWG vets because they seem to know whats up compared to the drones who lost thier MMO virginity to warcraft.

warcraft confirms my theory that 9 out of every 10 people are mentally challenged in this day and age.

My thoughts on the games you named

Star Trek sounded really cool but... I was in the God and Hero's Beta and I wonder if the company can pull off a AAA mmo to be honest.  Gods and Hero's stability was the big issue and I don't mean the occasional crash, I mean the client would crash within 5 mins of logging in almost without fail right up til they shut it down.  I love Star Trek but am really weary of the company.

Ryzom is a very cool game, unfortunately the company just filed for bankruptcy and the games future is anyone's guess at this point which  is one of the reasons I never got to far into the game.

I kind of had the same feeling while trying EVE.  I know they say you can be competitive but there's also that downside of if you wanna be truly competitive and in the best ships you need a way to make money which usually involves a second account, not for me.

I can't say much about Pirates of the Burning Sea(NDA) and will just leave it at you might be pleasantly suprised, it has real potential.

I'm personally keeping a close eye on what Bioware is working on and praying like hell that EA doesn't get to involved in the development.

• xxpigxxxxpigxx Member UncommonPosts: 412

To save space, I will not quote everyone on this thread.

Let's just say that I agree with you all 100%.

EQ was my first MMO.  I played for a month.  SWG was my second and I played for a year and a half.  After I quit, I have tried everything.  MxO, CoX, Eve, WoW, etc. etc.  None have held the magic for me that SWG had.

• =GK=Darkstar=GK=Darkstar Member Posts: 30

Originally posted by Slanger

If the SWG you're talking about is around the time you registered for this site (Pre-CU) Then no this game is not what you want or even close to what you're talking about. SWG has been WoWified (NGE) It is not what you remember nor will it ever resemble what it once was. (according to the CEO of SOE) So if you want that old feeling back this game is not going to give it to you , all it will do is give you heart ache. Unless all you want is to play a Star Wars game, then in that case it wont matter to you what a decrepit state the game is in now.

Rubbish as always

pre-CU people like me still play on there and there are many concentrations of players and new quests to keep you busy if you have been away a while.

Amazing the Bantha Hunting Borefest lovers of the CU still comment on a game they said they left years ago, weird that.  NGE is not pre-CU but its way better than CU.

Creator & Founder of =GK= Clan 2004
    =GK= Founder & Creator 2004
    Multi Gamer

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

As others above has said, don't expect the same SWG you once experienced 3 years ago. The combat queue, 32 profs, skill tree, ubert loot, Nightsister hunting, sweet combat animations, uniqueness among crafters and items, ham and wounds, thriving bazaar market, item decay (except ship parts), and character customization (a la attributes) are all gone.  Everyone is pretty much a carbon copy of everyone else, everyone can get the same loot and rewards you can get, Nightsisters and hazard planets like Endor and Dath are no longer deadly.  I felt that there is really nothing to do around the universe in the NGE other than farm faction, PvP and craft which became irrelevant due to no decay, and do Mustafar quests over and over until you get the items you have been wanting (ORH, Jinsu, HLR, RZK, etc.) and none of the old natural spawn mobs are a challenge anymore (I remember Enraged Rancors doing -1500 health disease ticks every 2 seconds preCU, and NS elders with a stun baton that hit for 4500+ dmg).

• BushMonkeyBushMonkey Member Posts: 1,406

Meh SOE gutted the original game and replaced it with something they thought would bring in WoW numbers at the expence of the vets, 

They WoWified it, treated there custoners like garbage and told them to get lost. 

(And the best part is they are trying to bring back the vets) 

If you like WoW , CoH or any of the other virtual babysitter games you might like it after all it is starwars and they let you start as jedi.

Get a free trial and find out,  most  in here will give it a thumbs down, this is a rebel outpost afterall. 

• dudemantgdudemantg Member Posts: 25

i believe the saying goes "you're preaching to the choir" but yeah i agree with you totally.

Originally posted by dudemantg

i believe the saying goes "you're preaching to the choir" but yeah i agree with you totally.

LOL my mistake wasn't quite awake yet was pretty early in morning.

• eowetheoweth Member Posts: 273

Since I quit SWG I've tried every mmo under the sun to get that feeling of being part of a real virtual world and it feel like a world not a theme park. At this point I don't see any developers going that route when making a MMO, the cost and risk involved are huge and it takes a truly brilliant team to balance that many classes that can be mixed and matched but if it ever does come along I'll see all the other vets happily in game.

That's really the key right there for me. Original SWG really was a virtual world rather than an MMORPG. I really miss that.

My character was a doctor/tailor. I could go hunting with friends and be support or I could concentrate on my shop and making things for people just for fun or sit in town and buff people with medicines I'd researched and tried to make the best of or I'd check out swgcraft.com and look for the newest resources to find, heck sometimes even just look for new ones to add to the database. From that I've seen none of that kind of gameplay is possible any longer.

• =GK=Darkstar=GK=Darkstar Member Posts: 30

Ya what he said

Creator & Founder of =GK= Clan 2004
    =GK= Founder & Creator 2004
    Multi Gamer