Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest II: Exclusive Rise of Kunark Beta Screens!

MeddleMeddle Administrator UncommonPosts: 758

Yesterday I was able to get into the EQ2 Rise of Kunark beta and got some screenshots approved by SOE to be published on our site.  Check out the couple screens below and click on the feature link at the bottom of the news post to view all thirteen!

To view the rest of the new screens, go here.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

Comments

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Looks entirely like the same old crap. Everything in EQ2 is either reskined content or same creatures. This Sarnak looks like garbage and the crabs are nothing more then crabs from all over EQ2 Norrath. Why not special new crabs, maybe blue ones or black? This is the lack of detail I have came to hate with EQ2. Every expansion is the same content it seems, like reskins and just horrible ART. Armors always come out unpopular in the look so ROK will certainly be the same.

• MeddleMeddle Administrator UncommonPosts: 758
    Originally posted by bezado

Looks entirely like the same old crap. Everything in EQ2 is either reskined content or same creatures. This Sarnak looks like garbage and the crabs are nothing more then crabs from all over EQ2 Norrath. Why not special new crabs, maybe blue ones or black? This is the lack of detail I have came to hate with EQ2. Every expansion is the same content it seems, like reskins and just horrible ART. Armors always come out unpopular in the look so ROK will certainly be the same.

Actually these new areas look much different than existing EQ2 content.  Admin and I had a chance to run around in the beta some more today and got some screens of the incredible new areas.  Lots of new mobs and some familiar ones kicked back from EQ1.  Next week we'll have these for you all the check out.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

Originally posted by Meddle

Actually these new areas look much different than existing EQ2 content.  Admin and I had a chance to run around in the beta some more today and got some screens of the incredible new areas.  Lots of new mobs and some familiar ones kicked back from EQ1.  Next week we'll have these for you all the check out.

I dunno, the one reminds me of Village of Shin and the others are not very interesting. Perhaps the other screens I have not seen may change this but my opinion for the most part is better of 2yrs of play. I think every expansion leaves something to be gained. Armor updates and weapons are the biggest problem each expansion. The art on the new armor and weapons is so poor. EOF was a prime example of this. How many threads across the net and on EQ2 players where made about poor artwork and armors not looking all that great. Or weapons. Granted some content was released that gave some cool stuff but for the most part it was really lacking.

ROK seems to be doing the same from what I can see from every update. I just can't help it.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I dunno, the one reminds me of Village of Shin and the others are not very interesting. Perhaps the other screens I have not seen may change this but my opinion for the most part is better of 2yrs of play. I think every expansion leaves something to be gained. Armor updates and weapons are the biggest problem each expansion. The art on the new armor and weapons is so poor. EOF was a prime example of this. How many threads across the net and on EQ2 players where made about poor artwork and armors not looking all that great. Or weapons. Granted some content was released that gave some cool stuff but for the most part it was really lacking.

ROK seems to be doing the same from what I can see from every update. I just can't help it.

I am split between these two opinions. I play EQ2 since launch with breaks, but the graphics were never the strong side of EQ2. But its the engine itself. It all has this platicy and same look. It looks ok, but it doesnt kick me out of my shoes. But to accomplish more they would have to remake the game entirely with some graphic overhaul. I didnt expect the EQ2 graphics look old so fast, tbh.

Some things are nice, but the armor and part of the landscaped textures and mob details are really boring, yes. But it never bothered me so much. For me ROK will be the last expansion I try out. EoF was nice, but techincally it was only more of the same. Super grind, mediocre quests, shabby rewards and ENDLESS preparation to get anything worthwhile done. I want to log in and start something funny right away, and above level 20 or so the game needed FAR too much planning, long-term cooperation and external sources to get things done. If they solve THAT, I dont care if they have blue crabs or not.

But I understand that many complain about the armor. They have those 5 models just with different colors and thats it. Its really with quite little imagination. The players asked for new models and they just recoloured the existing ones. Or hats/helmets. Why they have only a few cool ones for end-game players, and the rest gets ugly cooking pots?

In NWN2 Mask of the Betrayer I found a Stag Helmet with stag antlers! I mean, it looked totally hilarious, but I wore it all the time just for the sake of seeing something fancy and rare. After 3 years the armor selection is GREATLY dissapointing in EQ2. I really hope they make MUCH more with ROK. If its just the same old like in EoF this will be my final try.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Originally posted by Elikal

I am split between these two opinions. I play EQ2 since launch with breaks, but the graphics were never the strong side of EQ2. But its the engine itself. It all has this platicy and same look. It looks ok, but it doesnt kick me out of my shoes. But to accomplish more they would have to remake the game entirely with some graphic overhaul. I didnt expect the EQ2 graphics look old so fast, tbh.

Some things are nice, but the armor and part of the landscaped textures and mob details are really boring, yes. But it never bothered me so much. For me ROK will be the last expansion I try out. EoF was nice, but techincally it was only more of the same. Super grind, mediocre quests, shabby rewards and ENDLESS preparation to get anything worthwhile done. I want to log in and start something funny right away, and above level 20 or so the game needed FAR too much planning, long-term cooperation and external sources to get things done. If they solve THAT, I dont care if they have blue crabs or not.

But I understand that many complain about the armor. They have those 5 models just with different colors and thats it. Its really with quite little imagination. The players asked for new models and they just recoloured the existing ones. Or hats/helmets. Why they have only a few cool ones for end-game players, and the rest gets ugly cooking pots?

In NWN2 Mask of the Betrayer I found a Stag Helmet with stag antlers! I mean, it looked totally hilarious, but I wore it all the time just for the sake of seeing something fancy and rare. After 3 years the armor selection is GREATLY dissapointing in EQ2. I really hope they make MUCH more with ROK. If its just the same old like in EoF this will be my final try.

Yup and I agree, but really if your playing EQ2 you almost always are aware of your appearance and know the feelings that go into it. Your feelings of interjection to these types of things in game, your awareness between EQ1 and EQ2 when knowing how special it was to be different back in EQ1. At least in EQ1 you know you could pull off many looks. In EQ2 you see the same thing no matter where you go, the bland boring same textures and armor models. It is the biggest thing that pulled me away from the game. I just felt like everything I got people already had it. High end raid armors with the same look as items on the broker of lower level stuff. Just a slight color change or whatnot.

EQ2 was suppose to be the biggest fantasy game. Devs use to always boast about the way armors will look so cool and how you would have so many different variations. That never came true. In a big fantasy world where everyone pretty much looks the same isn't to immersive.

If you look at the Korean EQ2 team who made the new Arasi place and armors on those guards you can see that they at least have some good art. All the Asians have awesome art for armor models and colors and weapons. Why EQ2 team that does stuff the same over and over the past 2yrs+ is beyond me.

Check what the Asians can do when creating.

Here i52.photobucket.com/albums/g39/Bezado/EQ2_000258.jpg

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Ah yes, I know this armor, tho I didnt know it was made in Asia.

Yes, yes. The west with its "grey suits" has kinda lost its fashion sense. I mean, its ok to work in an office, but for fantasy the ppl in Asia still have a better connection to fashion. Look at most Asia grinders, they are uber dull but at least your're dressed fashionable, heh.

Eq2 is a good game, but I SO wish they'd expand their selections REALLY.

The landscape looks cool on the shots tho.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

I got tons more screens like 5000 or so lol. That screen above is from arasi area. And yes the Asian team created that part of that update, think Korean team. I would have to search to check my sources again but I know it was 100% asian made but almost 100% sure it was an Korean team.

• magicmnmagicmn Member Posts: 4

c'mon guys, where did u see better armors and weps? In WoW? mb in Lotro or in LA2? or mb in VG? I have play eq2 since dec 2004 till last august without a break, and can say that after KOS models of armor and especially weps becomes better and better: SoD rewards are superb, hats from KoS sets looking nice, chests from eof  too. Yes it could be better, but its the same with any other mmorpg.

And i wonder that u think that graphic of eq2 is bad and old. Till last year there absolutely nothing to compare eq2 with. And even now vg is looking only little bit better and lotro completely sucks with character's models, and only looking nice due to very very nice textures anb colour design.

Originally posted by magicmn

c'mon guys, where did u see better armors and weps? In WoW? mb in Lotro or in LA2? or mb in VG? I have play eq2 since dec 2004 till last august without a break, and can say that after KOS models of armor and especially weps becomes better and better: SoD rewards are superb, hats from KoS sets looking nice, chests from eof  too. Yes it could be better, but its the same with any other mmorpg.
    And i wonder that u think that graphic of eq2 is bad and old. Till last year there absolutely nothing to compare eq2 with. And even now vg is looking only little bit better and lotro completely sucks with character's models, and only looking nice due to very very nice textures anb colour design.

Yup LOTRO sucks for that more then any of the other games. But we didn't mention LOTRO.

Better armors and weapons....WOW to be truthful has the better looking armors and weapons for the type of game it is. At least they got style and good armor models and color. EQ2 armors from start till up to now is all the same, reskined with slight color changes. SOD isn't anything special, the look isn't that great because I had found 2 green weapons off the broker one day that looked almost the same as SOD. Those weapons where lowbie level weapons to! Omg and they where for my alt arasi at the time. Anyway your naming only a select bit of content, content that most casual players will not get or care to have.

The class hats are jokes IMHO, ever seen the coercer one LMAO that looks like a PILLOW. Can you honestly say that is cool looking? EOF chest armors look the same as the KOS armors and before, slight variances. Dude I know this I got screens, I been in game over 2yrs before I quit and know what armors look like playing in ultra settings.

Personally it isn't something I care to debate anymore. EQ2 has dull boring armor models and weapons period. I leave it at that.

• pliskin_wolfpliskin_wolf Member Posts: 1

the graphics are out dated when they are still the best looking for an mmo? i dont think you have your computer turned up all the way, also to that some top end pc's still cant run at max w/o lagging im not talking about 3k or more comps either im talking consumer end top ends which is what the market refers to also.

vanguard might look a little better, but as far as character details EQ2 beats it though VG has some amazing looking landscape

• bonobotheorybonobotheory Member UncommonPosts: 1,007

Originally posted by pliskin_wolf

the graphics are out dated when they are still the best looking for an mmo? i dont think you have your computer turned up all the way, also to that some top end pc's still cant run at max w/o lagging im not talking about 3k or more comps either im talking consumer end top ends which is what the market refers to also.

vanguard might look a little better, but as far as character details EQ2 beats it though VG has some amazing looking landscape

Personally, I think Vanguard has better-looking armor. It's too bad I don't like the rest of the game.  WoW has a better variety of styles, but it's almost wasted on those low-poly models, and some of it looks outright ridiculous.

EQ2 has some good-looking armor, but they picked one of the ugliest sets for those screenshots.

• rock_harryrock_harry Member Posts: 183

The arrmor is not thatbad looking dont know what the hell your on about.

wow grafixs to meare a joke cannot stand the cartoon look probley why they get kids spaming the hell out of u on it

I happy with the way eq2 looks i not looking for some thing perfect as you never find it.

If you played for 2 years they must of been some thing you liked about the game

all in all i thinkthe game not bad at all

Yup LOTRO sucks for that more then any of the other games. But we didn't mention LOTRO.

Better armors and weapons....WOW to be truthful has the better looking armors and weapons for the type of game it is. At least they got style and good armor models and color. EQ2 armors from start till up to now is all the same, reskined with slight color changes. SOD isn't anything special, the look isn't that great because I had found 2 green weapons off the broker one day that looked almost the same as SOD. Those weapons where lowbie level weapons to! Omg and they where for my alt arasi at the time. Anyway your naming only a select bit of content, content that most casual players will not get or care to have.

The class hats are jokes IMHO, ever seen the coercer one LMAO that looks like a PILLOW. Can you honestly say that is cool looking? EOF chest armors look the same as the KOS armors and before, slight variances. Dude I know this I got screens, I been in game over 2yrs before I quit and know what armors look like playing in ultra settings.

Personally it isn't something I care to debate anymore. EQ2 has dull boring armor models and weapons period. I leave it at that.

hmm, WoW is looking better? cant agree: those wow's weps and armors looks like clown's cloth, design is completely childish, also cubism isnt my favorite style too. WoW cannot be compare with eq2 because of so ancient engine, and i wonder how people could say that eq2 has old graphics while they like wow's graphic.

• NeopsychNeopsych Member UncommonPosts: 324

Man this is dull.

Surely we are not soooo shallow that the driving force behind a good game has to be the graphics engine and what colour a bloody crab is?

The screenshots show that this pack, quite sensibly, follows the same style of the existing game. Can you imagine releasing a pack where one zone looks dramatically different to all of the others? I can imagine the "its poils the flow of the game" threads already.

I agree to some extent around the weap and armour skins and they could do with adding new styles to differentiate the different factions and maybe this will start now they have hinted at looking ate th char models.

The main attraction of any game, at least for me, is the lore / story behind it. I like the asian feel of the Villgae of Shin and cant wait to see what else is in these zones based on a more wide ranging set of screenshots than this initial sample of one small area.

As for the WoW vs EQ2 graphics debate - that one is sooo boring I cant be bothered.

I do agree that there is a need for individual customisation in the game though and some new classes to keep us veterens playing but how detailed the sandy beaches and shimmering water effects are leave me a little cold in choosing which game I play. Its important for the immersive nature but I still play many old games liek System Shock 2, Hafl Life, Balders Gate as the story is so compelling.

To err is human....to play is divine

hmm, WoW is looking better? cant agree: those wow's weps and armors looks like clown's cloth, design is completely childish, also cubism isnt my favorite style too. WoW cannot be compare with eq2 because of so ancient engine, and i wonder how people could say that eq2 has old graphics while they like wow's graphic.

I said, Better armors and weapons....WOW to be truthful has the better looking armors and weapons for the type of game it is. At least they got style and good armor models and color.

That does not mean apples to oranges WOW has better. Simply said that WOW armors and weapons are far better for the type of game it is and yes many millions of people would agree with me on that. WOW didn't get the child label till many of the stereotyping on forums became the everyday thing. People call the game childish, cartoony kid game but you know what, WOW has many more adult players then young children. The game has had over what 8million subscribers at one time and you can not honestly say that all them where children. I played with all adults when I played and most like me are old guys. I think you need to play the game or examine the graphics of armors and weapons in WOW because they have much better style and effort.

As far as me playing EQ2 for 2yrs+ was because I enjoyed some parts of the game but the ones I didn't like wasn't enough to make me quit until I became heavily diverse and geared at end game content which to me offered no better looks. I can tell you that many players got sick of EOF content with the way the gear and weapons looked, it was just that bad.

• Jeff44Jeff44 Member Posts: 459

As far as me playing EQ2 for 2yrs+ was because I enjoyed some parts of the game but the ones I didn't like wasn't enough to make me quit until I became heavily diverse and geared at end game content which to me offered no better looks. I can tell you that many players got sick of EOF content with the way the gear and weapons looked, it was just that bad.

Who has the better "look" in armor and clothing is a choice each gamer will have to make for himself, but I want to make sure I am reading you right.

It was the way the gear looked at end game compared to the rest of the game ("no better looks") that finally caused you to quit EQ2 entirely?

And that "many players" didn't like the way the gear and weapons looked in EOF and decided to cancel the entire because of that?

With the depth and complexity and everything EQ2 has going for it, I suspect some people might find that thought ....

uhm... interesting.

Just goes to show, that there is probably a game out there for everyone.

user

Originally posted by Jeff44

Who has the better "look" in armor and clothing is a choice each gamer will have to make for himself, but I want to make sure I am reading you right.

It was the way the gear looked at end game compared to the rest of the game ("no better looks") that finally caused you to quit EQ2 entirely?

And that "many players" didn't like the way the gear and weapons looked in EOF and decided to cancel the entire because of that?

With the depth and complexity and everything EQ2 has going for it, I suspect some people might find that thought ....

uhm... interesting.

Just goes to show, that there is probably a game out there for everyone.

Well if you had spent all your free time raiding each night after a long day and getting the best gear in game since launch of EQ2 then not to find anything actually great looking enough to make your time invested worthwhile you would be somewhat PO. Everyone looking the same essentially is a huge problem hardcore gamers hate. Many of us try to look different but when you are a raider there is that idea you need the best gear. Having the best gear but realizing it all looks the same pretty much even for some lowbie level armor with the same models but not of the same color is very annoying.

I played EQ1 for years, comparing the 2 games you have a huge broad armor range in EQ1 for looks and whatnot. In EQ2 it seems every top end gear is the same armor model but with either a slightly new color or a tint to it. Pink armor? No thanks. Other choices to that made me leave not just the armor problems.

I know we lost a good portion of players after the EOF debacal with the armor models and such. Most hardcore gamers where sick of the same thing over and over. Ask any real end game player about this, im sure they might not agree with me 100% but they can at least speak of the same issues that they had with crappy looking armor.

I have no idea what you mean by depth and complexity, EQ2 is far from complex or having depth. Get quest A. to get quest B. to unlock the next quest, kill this then that then get this and that. Spend 5hrs here then here and get that and this. No thanks, that seems like most games we know of as hack and slash type.  I never enjoyed EQ2 for questing, the only fun part came from raiding which I thrived on. Being with 23 others and coordinating attacks and strategies into defeating the games hardest content was the best fun.

most funny thing that i was hc raiding too, but left eq2 not because of lack of new armor/weapon but because of total absence of new raid content and stupid contested system(we had 2 guilds minimum on each target and it was really bad cause stupid farm was even more stupid then it was before)

items were ok(even more they looks really good for me, especially sod and cloaks), i had full set in june and few contested's items too, but i dont wanna just kill same targets for months and months for any item even for absolutely perfectely designed ones.

And i dont think that lot of new items models will help eq2 with more subscribers, eq2 need something really new in gameplay and content.

• rock_harryrock_harry Member Posts: 183

I raid for itams with good sats not coz the look pritty.

Sounds like bezado wants to be a chav in game lol

• KnivesOnlyKnivesOnly Member Posts: 401

EQ2 looked far better in the early screenshots of the game from like 2002 where it had a much more immersive feel to it and much better armor and character models looked great. I dunno what happened after launch but the humans specially looked real horrible and then they gave them a new look and they looked even worse lol.

I want the old graphics.

• draigdraig Member Posts: 6

You do realise there are alternative armour slots in game "NOW"

my Ratonga Brigand looks teh ubah !

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Have you heard of the phrase 'subjective taste'?

The truth is that EQ2, technically speaking, is graphically still the heaviest hitter out there in most aspects. Art style is something else, but like I say, thats subjective taste and nothing more. As with all art there is no good or bad, just personal like and dislike.

Could there be more variety in the gear? Sure there could, and I think SOE are very aware of this as well (made obvious by their releasing of the content you mention), but to complain about the colour of the frikin crabs is just idiotic...

Just so I get it straight before I judge you too harshly.... Do you really base your opinion of a game mainly on the colour of mobs or the shape of your sword?

Originally posted by vesavius

Have you heard of the phrase 'subjective taste'?

The truth is that EQ2, technically speaking, is graphically still the heaviest hitter out there in most aspects. Art style is something else, but like I say, thats subjective taste and nothing more. As with all art there is no good or bad, just personal like and dislike.

Could there be more variety in the gear? Sure there could, and I think SOE are very aware of this as well (made obvious by their releasing of the content you mention), but to complain about the colour of the frikin crabs is just idiotic...

Just so I get it straight before I judge you too harshly.... Do you really base your opinion of a game mainly on the colour of mobs or the shape of your sword?

No I agree though that art is personal taste. I didn't just base my opinion on the crabs colors. That was an example of the direction I thought the game is going. If you look at the game world pretty much has the same taste as the original world. Did I specifically say that this game is not good because the mobs color is not different? No. I said, "This is the lack of detail I have came to hate with EQ2. Every expansion is the same content it seems, like reskins and just horrible ART."

And I also mentioned as my talking point before those opinions, "Everything in EQ2 is either reskined content or same creatures."

So as you can see I was talking about the general direction of the game and based my opinion on the screens and the rest of how EQ2 looks and feels. EQ2 could use a more immersive feel, can you not have different looking mobs in new areas, rather then just inhabiting every area of the game world with the same mobs? Seriously, this is why EQ2 is so linear in it's immersion flavor. Everything seems to feel the same and to be honest if they did add new revamped creatures of the same type throughout new areas of the game on expansions then I would probably say the game is at least sharing some ideas that immersion and content doesn't need to be all the same.

The worse thing you can have in a game and then include in every expansion is the same mobs over and over and re-skined models. Using the same armor look but having it a different color isn't ground breaking. Role players and people who focus on immersion for these types of games look close at how the game world appeals to them. When you place the same exact shape, size, color mobs in every area of the game world it starts to become another EQ1 style game. This is something game developers need to start focusing on. Adding in randomness to the game world.