Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yet another SWG playerbase meltdown

Comments

• xluciferxxluciferx Member Posts: 162

I completely agree, It's been nearly 2 years now, over 700 days, and people are still complaining. It really is unbelievable.

What they don't realize is SWG is only a small part of the MMO world, most players don't even know what SWG is or was, complaining doesn't give sony a bad reputation as so little people complain, even if the figure is the supposidely the '450k' who left during pre-cu , thats a tiny dent in the MMO market, SOE still makes money.

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

Originally posted by xluciferx

I

What they don't realize is SWG is only a small part of the MMO world, most players don't even know what SWG is or was,

And what you're not realizing is what happens in SWG has the potential to reverberate throuout the industry.

Simply ask yourself what would be the outcome of a hugely successful post-NGE SWG would do to other games.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by sinster

OMG.....That is just so wrong on so many levels....but outragous just the same. At least the record is straight now....is was Smed on the Grassy knoll with the candlestick heh.

Normally a pro SOE guy(EQ and EQ2...never liked swg in any era, let alone MxO or VG for more than 20 mins at a time...2 month intervals no less). Even though I never enjoyed SWG, and feel the dmg you guys cause other SOE games is BS, this has to rate in the top ten or so of funny chit I have seen on the internet.

Thanks for the laugh....had just read news about Bioware a few minutes before. I suppose I understand about "losing your game" a little more....although I wouldnt go on as long as you guys have.

Anyways thx again for the laugh.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• soecabalsoecabal Member Posts: 115

I completely agree, It's been nearly 2 years now, over 700 days, and people are still complaining. It really is unbelievable.

What they don't realize is SWG is only a small part of the MMO world, most players don't even know what SWG is or was, complaining doesn't give sony a bad reputation as so little people complain, even if the figure is the supposidely the '450k' who left during pre-cu , thats a tiny dent in the MMO market, SOE still makes money.

Which makes less sense:  Us still complaining about it, or you here complaining about the complaining?

---
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of SOE?

The Cabal Knows

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

The central issue of why they have to modify the game so drastically for yet another slavish ripoff of WoW instread of finding a way to make heroic instances "hard" without drastically changing a profession's abilities remains, however.

Of course, "hard" in SWG means "takes longer".  The game is not complex enough (any more) to actually make things hard.  Once the forumula is discovered, it becomes a matter of time before the "heroic instance" boss is overcome.

In the meantime, now medics have TWO sets of rezz abilities, one for GCW PvP and one for PvE that has been nerfed so that they don't allow groups to overcome the bosses too quickly to get the pathetic loot the bosses drop.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

Originally posted by soecabal

Which makes less sense:  Us still complaining about it, or you here complaining about the complaining?

Hey.. that's MY line!

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• xluciferxxluciferx Member Posts: 162

I've been discussing for nearly 2 weeks, you've been complaining for nearly 2 years, do the math

• Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568

Originally posted by Obraik

Originally posted by Esquire1980

I'm glad for you, Obraik.  You've been singing their song way to long for them to step on you.  Glad you all stopped the lastest mess and your profession is saved from the CHANGE block.
    But...................................
    When do they listen about C6CD?  When do they listen about NGE and bring back the classic game? 
    If they would just do those 2 things, it might go along way in every1s mind.  Here and there.

As was established in another thread, you didn't play SWG until after the NGE went live.  If you didn't like the changes they made to the stat system and difficulty with Chapter 6 then you wouldn't have liked pre-cu.

Obraik, you know the reason why I want classic servers?  So they will leave THIS game alone.  All the forums at SWG are filled with bring back this, that, or the other.  Kill Jedi, it's the timeline man, bring back 32 professions,  Order 66, bring back skill boxes, sandbox,  I want to TAME animals. etc, etc, etc.

I fully anticipate loging on one day and find I have to respec to another profession cause they are so called "listening" again.  My toon has been Jedi from day 1, never respeced.

It seems everytime they try and so called "listen" to the player base, we all end with up with a game CHANGED to the point of NO recognition.  It ain't Pre-CU and it ain't NGE.

SO, instead of half - a$$ing these changes in an NGE wrapper, GIVE these people what they want and leave the new (NGE) game alone and most probably, every1 would be happy.

Without classic servers, no1 is happy.  The vets don't have their game, NGE players don't have their game, and SOE is too stupid to figure this out?  I'm aware you like SOE and the CHANGED game but you are in the definate minority.  Read the forums.  Right now, NO1 likes it, It's just, I'll scream, cry, hold my breath until I get blue in the face until they CHANGE it.  And then, it's CHANGE it to WHAT?

I've posted on this before, and Obraik doesn't want to hear it, but I've talked with new players, described the old game, and all they can say is "that sounds so cool!"

Yet the conspiracy of dunces that is SWG management and developers does not hear any of this.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    Originally posted by SioBabble

I've posted on this before, and Obraik doesn't want to hear it, but I've talked with new players, described the old game, and all they can say is "that sounds so cool!"
    Yet the conspiracy of dunces that is SWG management and developers does not hear any of this.

Did you happen to bring up the flaws the old game had?  Usually when I get to that part they lose interest ;)

Did you happen to bring up the flaws the old game had?  Usually when I get to that part they lose interest ;)

One mans "flaws" is another mans "working as intended".

Just ask SOE   ; )

BTW Obraik, you didn't lose interest.

You still played pre-CU.    : )

• 0k210k21 Member Posts: 866

People have said this main times about Pre-Cu SWG, the game was flawed, but at least it worked and we could play it, NGE doesn't have any of that.

Quoting people doesn't make you clever, in fact, it makes you all the more stupid for not bothering to read the quotes you post in the first place.

Originally posted by 0k21

People have said this main times about Pre-Cu SWG, the game was flawed, but at least it worked and we could play it, NGE doesn't have any of that.
    Pre CU SWG was flawed.  The problem was that the developers never worked on fixing the flaws, but compounding them.

So, because they didn't have the talent to deal with the potential, they threw their hands up and decided to eviscerate what they had and stupid it down to something they could deal with.

And messed that up, too.

I"m still seeing bugs that have been in the game since beta during my vet trial.  Last night a mission lair spawned inside a guildhall, becoming unattackable.

This is really stupid, elementary stuff.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• ColaCola Member Posts: 402

Pre CU was the best game EVER made.......EVER..........Period

• Irish003Irish003 Member Posts: 55

Originally posted by SioBabble

He didn't have to, most of the flaws and bugs are still there. You know that.

Rebel Col. Moshi Manawitz-Master Commando/Master Smuggler/Master Pilot-Pre NGE Vet.-Server:Chilistra-
    RIP April 04-Jan 06

• Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568

U mean like rubber banding?  Lag? ( and on Kauri lag is NOT caused by THAT many players LOL) Npcs shooting through walls and doors?  There still there.  Even after this fabulous "bug-bash".

Last night I re-set up my shipwright.  Somehow, my metal recycler went the way of the dinosaur.  OK, I got schematics,  grabbed those, and suddenly shipwrights can't build them anylonger.  No chapter notes, nothing said officially, just  guess what,  lost content.  I shouldn't even be surprised anymore.

• GiMMLiGiMMLi Member Posts: 21

There are two reasons why I laughed really hard when I heard this:

1) Didn't Smed just publicly apologize to the community for the huge mistake they made by implementing the NGE without consulting the playerbase? Media trick to save face in the eyes of other companies? I think so.

2) The avid fanboi's keep claiming SOE is making swg better and nothing like the NGE will EVER happen again because they've learned from thier mistakes. They proved you wrong huh? I don't think SOE cares about the playerbase at all. SOE does what it wants and will continue to do so until the game has 1 server with a skeleton population.

When I quit swg I had two charcters I relied on the most, Jedi (we all know how that turned out) and Medic (nerfed the only thing that made the class worth a damn). I'm glad I quit when I did, I don't think I could handle having two useless classes.

----

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Ouch, probably the last straw for many players still subscribed, I even saw a couple posts "thanks for making us lose the last bit of confidence in you" which made me laugh, amazing that some players STILL had confidence in the devs staff which seems to change every so months or years.  Last time I remember Blixtev, he was the BH coder/designer and never really liked him but now he's LEAD designer... that might explain it all.

Of course pre CU was flawed, but it's the gameplay, target locking, interface, challenge and community I liked about it.  I cannot stand the stupid FPS-style with pseudo target locking, limited versitality, and missing or flakey animations the NGE has.  We didn't need the expertise tree back then (well there was the FRS tree) and right from the start you can get into things with other people (doc buffs & ubese or composite) even though you would have lower level skills.  Places like Dath and Yavin IV were dangerous even at a full 250 point template but now in the NGE all planets including Mustafar are a joke.

It hardly is a "tiny" dent in the MMO community, I personaly think this should be a lesson to other MMO companies and upcoming ones.

Think of this as if you are subscribing to a rock music magazine and one day the magazine decides to change their genre/interest to country music- the subscribers would be pissed and cancel and demand a refund, this is how the SWG community including myself felt when they pushed the NGE with very little warning.

• TenebrosoTenebroso Member Posts: 262

man....u guys need to let it go from this game, seriously. Being angry at SOE wont bring the game back or the good times you had...so move on and find another game, or make enough money in your lifetime so you can back up a production of your own Star Wars Galaxies...

• Rodnee42Rodnee42 Member Posts: 41

Originally posted by Tenebroso

man....u guys need to let it go from this game, seriously. Being angry at SOE wont bring the game back or the good times you had...so move on and find another game, or make enough money in your lifetime so you can back up a production of your own Star Wars Galaxies...
    you must be a SOE fan.

I wont forget and I wont let it go. plus if there was a game that was even cloes to pre CU SWG I would move on. But wait there isnt.

Originally posted by Tenebroso

Or perhaps it is you that needs to let go.

SWG will always be discussed and compared to it's earlier versions. It is a topic that will not go away, and IMO nor should it.

If these discussions bother you so much maybe it's time for you step away from a forum that is for discussing it.

I cannot stand those fantasy type MMO games like EQ, Lineage, LOTRO,  DDD, WoW and such which the majority of popular MMOs out there are.  I am a big Star Wars fan and I like modern sci-fi, PlanetSide was the type that I liked as well.  I even enjoyed some of the SP games like KOTOR and the JK series.

But I currently play City of Heroes which fills in my void for now, I may try the Star Trek online that I have been hearing about for the past few years, but I would go back to SWG classic in a heartbeat or if there is another Star Wars MMO that releases.

I'm beginning to think the reason why SWG is moving very slowly and inadequetly is because of Blixtev (and Smedley if he is still in charge), I had never really liked Blix and he is very PvE orientated and he showed a fine example with that medic rez nerf he announced.  He is the one that brought on the bounty hunter PvE content for the BH armor schematic and rare loot that every other profession wished they'd get, my BH got very rich faster than most other players on other profs at that time.

• =GK=Darkstar=GK=Darkstar Member Posts: 30

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/posts/list.m?topic_id=500249
    Seems that these "devs" couldn't figure out a way to make their "heroic encounters" challenging without destroying an entire profession.  Which proves that all their "heroic mobs" are is a million HP and huge unstoppable damage.
    Took them 6 months to come up with THAT?!
    I am all for these changes and I hope Blixtev sticks to his guns and it goes live and they ban everyone who complains.  It's basically to the point where the best interest of this game is to die.  The thing already has the lid on the coffin and several nails driven into it, and this one is a railroad spike.
    Once again, changes like this are proof positive that:
    1. The Devs of SWG are not very talented, if this is the best solution to this problem they could come up with in 6 months when their customers can come up with hundreds of BETTER solutions in six seconds it's proof that they need to go the way of the paper MCSE's of the late 90's and go into another profession.
    2. The Devs of SWG when confronted with ANY problem will ALWAYS take the EASIEST way out even if it impacts EVERYONE. 
    3. Even after there being many MANY riots and meltdowns after changes of this and greater magnitude, they still can't forsee any of it and create more such.
    4. The Dev team isn't talented enough to keep this thing going much longer. 

Not going to last much longer, mmmm, have I not heard that before.....ya for 4 years plus,

Creator & Founder of =GK= Clan 2004
    =GK= Founder & Creator 2004
    Multi Gamer

• ExiledagainExiledagain Member Posts: 43
    Originally posted by =GK=Darkstar

Not going to last much longer, mmmm, have I not heard that before.....ya for 4 years plus,

A slow death takes time i guess . If you think its not slowly declining then you are not looking at the facts.