Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The real history of PlaneShift development and its "business" model

124»

Comments

• DracusDracus Member Posts: 1,449

<look around>

<check to see if head is connected to body>

Hey ah, nice axe there... I think I need to be going now...

And that is why...

Conservatives' pessimism is conducive to their happiness in three ways. First, they are rarely surprised -- they are right more often than not about the course of events. Second, when they are wrong they are happy to be so. Third, because pessimistic conservatives put not their faith in princes -- government -- they accept that happiness is a function of fending for oneself. They believe that happiness is an activity -- it is inseparable from the pursuit of happiness.

• maveric007maveric007 Member UncommonPosts: 160

Sure would be nice to read at least some of these posts that are all getting axed. Seems like the battle persists. I would personally "unsupported by anything" never call planeshift open source just by how the project is run. For my own personal belief as I am a extremely heavy linux/open source apps user, open source projects are either fully open or not. No half truths, half content, no most of the project released stuff. The whole limiting the development of planeshift "due to branching off code" reasoning behind not releasing everything is really a total crock. One would find if the game was completely released that there would be major improvements to the source art/code that all projects using the code could really get a boost, not stagnate development "yes it really is stagnate and becoming severely outdated". Fully open development greatly improves progress, this is the case for tens of thousands of other fully open projects.

Hopefully this won't get axed too as its not bashing and on topic.

p.s. free game != source code is available. Just an fyi.

• eosyneeosyne Member UncommonPosts: 392

I've been a member of this forum for 5 years, with like 40 posts. I only post when I feel it's necessary, and I get axed.

Not my fault the truth hurts. I now do NOT support  www.mmorpg.com in any way, I lost my respects.

Ya, I'm not sure whats up with that. These forums get visited on occasion by a mod that axes everything.

• DracusDracus Member Posts: 1,449

In order to maintain control when forum discussions get out of hand.

When things have settled down, the strong use of moderation will ease up.

And that is why...

Conservatives' pessimism is conducive to their happiness in three ways. First, they are rarely surprised -- they are right more often than not about the course of events. Second, when they are wrong they are happy to be so. Third, because pessimistic conservatives put not their faith in princes -- government -- they accept that happiness is a function of fending for oneself. They believe that happiness is an activity -- it is inseparable from the pursuit of happiness.

ya but axeing on a scale as they have above is a bit overboard.

• pstruthpstruth Member Posts: 233

Maybe I'm weird, but I don't have a problem with my posts being deleted. There's no point in keeping my comment around if what I'm replying to is gone. The moderators have no agenda but to keep things civilized.

The art is plenty of room for improvement. Especially the 3d models. However I tend to agree with you, how they are implemented could use much improvement as well. If the full art and models were released you would see improvement almost right away from a fork.

Originally posted by Tuxide

Originally posted by maveric007

If the full art and models were released you would see improvement almost right away from a fork.

I wouldn't think so, I don't think artists have the same opinion about this as programmers. Besides, if the art was forkable, then people would criticize PlaneShift (or the forks) for being unoriginal.

I doubt there would be allot of critics on art differences between forks.

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Member Posts: 96

ORIGINAL POST DELTED

lets just say that i will not play a game where there are questionable business ethics...

good luck to this outfit and the Dark and Light group...you guys will need it during go-live...

• TaeraTaera Community ManagerMember CommonPosts: 1,078

The posts were deleted for inappropriate content.  The posts that were not inappropriate were not deleted :)  Carry on!

Laura "Taera" Genender
    Community Manager
    MMORPG.com

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Member Posts: 96

Originally posted by Tuxide

Originally posted by JohnnyCache

...i will not play a game where there are questionable business ethics...

It's really silly how people use the phrase "business ethics" on a game that isn't even commercial.

I didn't know you had to get paid to be ethical...
  • pstruthpstruth Member Posts: 233

She's deleting the posts that are flames*. She isn't distinguishing at all between posts that praise the game or posts that are critical of it.  She isn't pushing anyone to do anything and the only motivation I see on her part is to keep things civil.

* She's also deleting posts that are made in response to flames, because once the flames are deleted, the replies serve no purpose.

Folks, this is a public forum. There will be a diversity of opinions. Other people will sometimes see things differently than you.  That's life.

• QueenofFoolsQueenofFools PlaneShift DeveloperMember Posts: 61

I don't know if anyone noticed, but all of this information is listed on the PlaneShift website. Thank you to the poster for recompiling it in what amounts to a caustic portrayal of facts we made plain on our own.

The insinuation that PlaneShift has hidden something from its fans or the readers of this forum is, well, in poor taste.

Anyone with questions related to the project can go ahead and ask them openly. If my non disclosure agreement permits I will share whatever information I have in the interest of dispelling the myth expressed here in a veiled way that ps has commercial intentions from this point forward. We have no such intentions. The game's content is held by a not for profit charity whose sole purpose is to produce a free game.

• ZeenaZeena Member Posts: 37
    Originally posted by QueenofFools

The game's content is held by a not for profit charity whose sole purpose is to produce a free game.

What is your charity license number please?

Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul.

• freyaafreyaa Member Posts: 39

i agree entirley with twinnachos and zorvan ... please read my thread on GM abuse ^_^

You can check again i might be wrong...haha what am i saying im usualy ALWAYS right!