Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

City of Heroes: Issue 11: Weapon Customization

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Last week, we brought you an interview with Matt "Positron" Miller about the upcoming Issue 11 update from City of Heroes / Villains. Today, the folks behind the game have provided us with the story behind the new weapon customization that will make an appearance in Issue 11.

One of the most often requested features for the “City Of” games is power customization. We already offer some of the most extensive costume customization of any MMO on the market, but that’s just the tip of the iceberg for what our players desire. They want the ability to customize every single bit of their character, including how their powers look.

Unfortunately, the animation and effects system that City of Heroes was built on didn’t lend itself well to customizing power blasts or altering the color of the fire attacks. Numerous powers have baked-in elements that would require a nearly insurmountable effort to get power customization to work at the level our players have come to expect. When faced with this fact, we decided that we would much rather devote the animation and effects time into new powers and new effects than going back over older powers and giving them a purely cosmetic facelift.

When it came to adding new powers to the game, Jack Emmert, the Creative Director at Cryptic Studios, suggested that we poll the players to find out what they wanted in the way of powers. We knew we wanted to do a melee set and a defensive set so that the melee archetypes (Tankers, Scrappers, Brutes, and Stalkers) could get some much needed love. When we reviewed the results of the polls, the defensive set that the players wanted the most was Shields.

Read the whole article here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

Sounds awesome. I'm really looking forward to checking out the new weapon types!

• airborne519airborne519 Member Posts: 542

Should be a nice addition, I like that they keep making the game better, as opposed to nerfing, which some game companies are in a habbit of doing...

• sartoriussartorius Member Posts: 199

Originally posted by airborne519

Should be a nice addition, I like that they keep making the game better, as opposed to nerfing, which some game companies are in a habbit of doing...
    For the record, they've done more than their share of nerfing in the game as well. ;)  Ask any old timers who play(ed) invuln tankers, fire blasters, controllers (levitation skill primarily).  It's good to see they don't nerf as much as they used to, but don't fool yourself into thinking they never have and still don't - the nerfs are still there in during patches but luckily they've mostly ironed out the imbalances so they're fewer than most games.

Now if NCsoft would just stop adding state tax to the monthly subscription charges I'd happily be back.

"Death is a dignitary who when he comes announced is to be received
    with formal manifestations of respect, even by those most familiar with him."
    - Ambrose Gwinnett Bierce

• TazhyngarthTazhyngarth Member Posts: 5

I can't wait to ditch my Battle Axe for the Rikti Axe on my Tank.

This Weapon Customization is a great addition to the game.

-Taz

• JpizzleJpizzle Member Posts: 371
    Originally posted by sartorius

Now if NCsoft would just stop adding state tax to the monthly subscription charges I'd happily be back.

That's your STATE forcing them to charge it. Not NCSoft. Take that up w/ your state rep.

• YuiopdudeYuiopdude Member Posts: 1

I can't wait to put the Carnival Mallet on my tank... works PERFECTLY with him (he's a freakin' clown!!)... though I'll have to remake him, but it's not that bad, he's still fairly new

• Saurus930Saurus930 Member Posts: 115

Oh yes baby, thank you very much!

• Pans_FolleyPans_Folley Member UncommonPosts: 76

I had no idea the full extent of what was going on with the Weapon Customization. I am totally amazed. I want issue 11 more than ever now !

• DrowNobleDrowNoble Member UncommonPosts: 1,297

Yeah taxes are the State's fault, NCSoft has no say in that. 

Some are still upset over the "nerf" to enhancements waaaayyy back when.  No more 6 damage slotting, you actually have to diversify and think about what you do.  Since then, the "nerfs" have been rather light by comparison to other games.  I know some got upset over the changes to Stealth, but overall it really didn't affect my Stalker or Scrapper w/Concealment that much.

Good thing I saved up costume tokens, looks like I'll be burning quite a few tweaking all my weapons.  Plus I need another char slot for my DB <whatever>. 

• revinorrevinor Member Posts: 9

I'm not very familiar with CoH (done a trial long time ago), so I'm missing something here.

Are they informing everybody that you will be able to have a weapon in your hand, which will look differently depending on its kind? This is really, really great. I cannot think about any other game which would allow such degree of weapon customization... Imagine being able to recognize if somebody is dual wielding daggers or 2h axe by just looking at avatar...

On the other hand, I think that Runescape has something similar - but it is still unbeaten as far as 3d graphics are concerned. All other MMORPGs should learn from Runescape (and soon CoH).

Trolling aside, I hope they will improve the graphics - what can be seen in screenshots is plain ugly.

• ajm563ajm563 Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by Yuiopdude

I can't wait to put the Carnival Mallet on my tank... works PERFECTLY with him (he's a freakin' clown!!)... though I'll have to remake him, but it's not that bad, he's still fairly new

I think you could probably change the weapon at the tailor shop.  No need to remake your character.

Originally posted by revinor

I'm not very familiar with CoH (done a trial long time ago), so I'm missing something here.
    Are they informing everybody that you will be able to have a weapon in your hand, which will look differently depending on its kind? This is really, really great. I cannot think about any other game which would allow such degree of weapon customization... Imagine being able to recognize if somebody is dual wielding daggers or 2h axe by just looking at avatar...
    On the other hand, I think that Runescape has something similar - but it is still unbeaten as far as 3d graphics are concerned. All other MMORPGs should learn from Runescape (and soon CoH).

Trolling aside, I hope they will improve the graphics - what can be seen in screenshots is plain ugly.

What they are doing revinor is making it so if you have a Broadsword Scrapper you can change how your sword looks.  You'll be able to go to any tailor to change this when it comes out.  They did say, however, that some models will be unlockables by defeating certain enemies.  So if you really wanted one you could have the Rikti Sword too. 

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

It might sound really silly, I have not subbed to CoH since half a year after release... But this is the kind of thing that makes me want to subscribe again... I can build my own hero!! With the things I want him to use!! There is love in that.

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• Tabby_CatTabby_Cat Member Posts: 140

Can't wait till it goes live.

• SSXPadisharSSXPadishar Member UncommonPosts: 10

This is one of those things that should have been in from the start. 

Very glad they are adding this feature

Pad's playing: WoW, HL, TR, GuildWars.
    Former MMO Exp: AOLNWN, M59, UO, AC1&2, EQ1&2, AO, SB, EVE, PS, EU, DAoC, DS, CoH/V, MxO, DDO, SWG, AA, Arch + many more.....

Originally posted by Jpizzle

That's your STATE forcing them to charge it. Not NCSoft. Take that up w/ your state rep.

Originally posted by DrowNoble

BZZZT! Incorrect!  Nice try though - how many people who've been telling me this in response actually know what they're talking about? /boggle

For starters, look all the other MMO companies with their MAIN offices located in California or Texas.  Now look at how many of them add state sales tax to the monthly fees..oh that's right none of them do!  Now look at NCsoft who recently opened a small office in those state - yep they're the only ones doing it.

Now before you repeat your false statement above, let me tell you that I did call my state tax board, and talked to a representative about it.  It's a grey area, they are not required to do it.  Why NCsoft feels the need to be the only MMO company to do so is beyond me, but the fact that they dropped it on us unnanounced and fail to even mention it during any account setup and/or game activation has to make one take pause.  I did alert the IRS though and suggested they make sure all the income from those tax charges are going to the state and not NCsoft's pockets.

But I digress, this is not the topic for this and I apologize for derailing it.

The customization looks really nice, and though I never enjoyed a character with a weapon, I am hoping they eventully get to power customization - even if it's only in "new" powers.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

There is no real weapons in COH, so i'm guessing this right, these weapons are just for show right?

Originally posted by Aguitha

There is no real weapons in COH, so i'm guessing this right, these weapons are just for show right?
    Some of the powersets utilize weapons.  One set of the Blaster Archetype is Assault Rifle, another is Bow and Arrows.

Scrappers have broadsword and katana I believe, and Tankers have Mace and Hammers as a choice of power sets.

I'm not very familiar with the Villian side though, but I'd suspect they have similar.

• JpizzleJpizzle Member Posts: 371

BZZZT! Incorrect!  Nice try though - how many people who've been telling me this in response actually know what they're talking about? /boggle

For starters, look all the other MMO companies with their MAIN offices located in California or Texas.  Now look at how many of them add state sales tax to the monthly fees..oh that's right none of them do!  Now look at NCsoft who recently opened a small office in those state - yep they're the only ones doing it.

Now before you repeat your false statement above, let me tell you that I did call my state tax board, and talked to a representative about it.  It's a grey area, they are not required to do it.  Why NCsoft feels the need to be the only MMO company to do so is beyond me, but the fact that they dropped it on us unnanounced and fail to even mention it during any account setup and/or game activation has to make one take pause.  I did alert the IRS though and suggested they make sure all the income from those tax charges are going to the state and not NCsoft's pockets.

The customization looks really nice, and though I never enjoyed a character with a weapon, I am hoping they eventully get to power customization - even if it's only in "new" powers.

Actually, that's just other MMOs willing to eat the costs and NCsoft isn't willing. They're also covernig their asses in an aduit. Anyway, it's a $1.99. BFD.

• BenfieldBenfield Member Posts: 11

I CANT WAIT ! ! !

Thank god NCSoft isnt like those who made SWG SUCK MAJOR A$$

"Every single man or woman who has stood their ground, everyone who has fought an Agent...has died."

Mr.America (CoH)
    Do not Fear the Rikti, For the Rikti shall fear YOU!

• ChrowXChrowX Member UncommonPosts: 21

With CoX's decision to do 3 issues a year we'll be seeing more and more customization appearing. This is one of those things that would've been cool as hell from the start, but I much rather like how they've built up to this. Each free issue builds a little more and makes it a bigger game as it continues.

As always, though, more powersets, more costume pieces, and more areas. More variety will make CoX, which is already very good, even better.

Originally posted by Jpizzle

Originally posted by DrowNoble

Er.. Buzzer to your Buzzer? lol

Actually your statement is incorrect.  NCSoft has absolutely no say in whether or not to charge tax.  They cannot randomly charge tax in This State but not in That State.  When you charge a tax you have to have a license from the state or federal government (depending on the tax).  That license doesn't just let you charge tax but essentially gives you an "account" that the taxes go to which in turn gets funneled to the appropriate government agency.  So if there is a 4% tax in a particular state and I charge you $10 to subscribe, the total charge is $10.40 but I only get to keep the $10 as the $0.40 is owed to the government.

Now this varies state to state and Im sure if NCSoft is in doubt they'll charge the tax and send the money off to the state capital.  Better to be safe than audited right?

• SerlingSerling Member Posts: 662

NCSoft has absolutely no say in whether or not to charge tax.  They cannot randomly charge tax in This State but not in That State.

Correct and incorrect at the same time.  NCSoft has no say as to whether it must collect taxes in some states, especially the state(s) where they are incorporated and/or located.  They must also collect taxes in those states that require them to do so as a condition of operating their business there.  Other states, however, do not require the collection of sales taxes, especially on service-oriented businesses.

So while states like Minnesota or Nevada may not require sales taxes to be levied, California and Texas may.

However, IF NCSoft is going to collect state taxes voluntarily for every other state where such collection is not already required, then they had only better be collecting the amount required under each state's tax law, and they had better be making payment to each of those states.  For instance, if they are over-collecting (charging everyone a 9% sales tax based on the highest state tax in the country, and paying 6% to those states that may or may not even require it) and pocketing the difference, that's illegal.

Better to be safe than audited right?

Being "safe" is no guarantee you won't get audited.  An audit (or threat thereof) is a way to insure compliance.  Paying taxes is no hedge against an audit, as millions of businesses and individuals can attest each and every April.

• binary_0011binary_0011 Member Posts: 528

wa wa wee wa , nice !

Well the safe than audited comment was meant that it is better to pay a tax if you're unsure if you're supposed to.  If you find out later that you weren't required or overpaid, it will be refunded.  Kind of like how income taxes work, you take no deductions, pay max tax and come april you overpaid and get a refund.

A previous poster implied that NCSoft was arbitrarily charging tax in some states.  I doubt very much they would do that, that's tax fraud.  They aren't exactly a small company that could hide under the radar after all.

Back on topic, the weapon customization should compensate for how lame Willpower will "look".  I've seen the screens of Willpower and well it's kinda... bleh.  I could be wrong they may improve the graphic effects by release.