Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning: Dev Chat Transcript

MeddleMeddle Administrator UncommonPosts: 758

Well it's over and with almost 500 people in attendance our Dev Chat with the WAR dev team rocked!  In case you missed it we've posted the transcript of the event. 

MMORPG.com: Sinkael :asks: My question is this, when DAoC came out and for some time afterward, there was a feeling of realm pride that slowly faded as time went on and people started realm hopping between realms. This realm pride was one of my favorite "features" of DAoC and I want to know what you are doing to folster this, if anything at all.

[WAR]EAMythic_Josh: So an underpopulated realm will always have a good chance at defending and attacking in RvR due to the balancing that scenarios can offer.

[WAR]EAMythic_Josh: Eek. Another question!

[WAR]EAMythic_Josh: Okay. My slow reading skills have now caught up.

[WAR]EAMythic_Josh: And, to be honest, not necessarily a bad thing in all cases.

[WAR]EAMythic_Josh: But one of the major ways we intend to foster that sense of pride and place and belonging is via the guild system.

[WAR]EAMythic_Josh: We're aiming to build into the guild experience a sense of purpose and direction that will make it worthwhile to stick with a guild long-term.

[WAR]EAMythic_Josh: That said, we certainly hope people try lots of things out in-game.

[WAR]EAMythic_Josh: Since... well... we love the whole thing and want people to see what we've been building. MMORPG.com: Godban :asks: how big will the groups/party/raids will be

[WAR]EAMythic_Gersh: Looks like I'm up

[WAR]EAMythic_Gersh: Groups currently at 6 people, we are supporting larger raid or "battlegroups" for RvR scenerios etc however the final size is YTB

[WAR]EAMythic_Gersh: We'll be locking that down after we get a good feel for the needs of a large scale event

Read the whole enchilada here.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

Comments

• Some of thoes questions you approved to be asked are so stupid and pointless.   

"Will it have Multiplayer"   i sure hope that was a joke question.

• connr513connr513 Member Posts: 4

that, my  friend, was no joke....which is probably why the entire channel went nuts LOL.  Best question, and the flood of "name changes" to MULTIPLAYERHAHA, PLAYOFFLINELOL, warhammerOFFLINE.   That was classic.

• KawabungaKawabunga Member Posts: 26

if i could go backin time i would get that wasted hour back.

If I killed it, it must taste like chicken.

• MLecl0001MLecl0001 Member Posts: 153

I have to agree that was pretty pointless and wish i could get my hour back also.  Seriously if you are going to do something like this shouldnt you have some one who knows a little something about this game, such as the fact is an ONLINE MULTIPLAYER game and weed out some of the stupid inane questions?  At least that would seem like common sense to me, but what do I know.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

• KazeredKazered Member Posts: 37

Maybe it was an inside joke about there Main Competition AoC. Since AoC has some offline aspects....

Could be wrong, but somtimes you gotta read between the lines and AoC is there biggest threat.

Kazer
    "Baning Smokers from public places is like baning people from water who like to pee."

• CathalaodeCathalaode Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by Kazered

Maybe it was an inside joke about there Main Competition AoC. Since AoC has some offline aspects....
    Could be wrong, but somtimes you gotta read between the lines and AoC is there biggest threat.

Actually, AoC isn't really offline for that first bit. You can still group, it's just that you can turn the other players off for that point.

• TaeraTaera Community ManagerMember CommonPosts: 1,078

Have some humor, guys! ;)

Laura "Taera" Genender
    Community Manager
    MMORPG.com

• CathalaodeCathalaode Member Posts: 281

Ya, I know. I laughed at it when I first read it. But you can only read the same joke so many times in one day before it gets stale.

Except this:

That's funny every time I see it.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

It was a joke!  Lighten up.

The dev chat was also fun.

• TambourineTambourine Member UncommonPosts: 181

Yeah, I quite enjoyed it my self. Kind of felt like we were just having a friendly chat with the WAR devs in a way.

• MiklanderMiklander Member Posts: 2

Ok first of all thank you for Arranging the Dev chat. Next Please tell me why I and my GF wasted 2hours of our life for it waiting for our question to be answered and to our horror you cut the questions short?

90% of the questions asked had allready been answered in Podcasts or in Warhammer site in General.

Next choosing questions like "is it Multiplayer" is waste of time and effort. That is bad journalism or how you want to MMORPG.com to be known?

So few wishes for future if you do it again let someone who has been reading the "games official site" of the current title to ask the questions and knows bit more than Lady Taera, Make questions that are not self explaining, Ask questions that are relevant, and ask questions bit faster

Yours Respectfully : Lordnagash & Nenwe

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

Originally posted by Cathalaode

Ya, I know. I laughed at it when I first read it. But you can only read the same joke so many times in one day before it gets stale.
    Except this:

Wow.... I haven't seen that video in months.  How could I have forgotten about that internet gem.

Thanks for the great laugh.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• LouiseKLouiseK Member Posts: 258

I'm not sure really what to make of the answers... they all seemed kinda vague.

I would have thought this far into the beta that they could have give us something a bit more specific... It sounds promising but i just don't think they've made their mind up yet about some pretty basic things.

Even if they stated specifics, ran them through the beta and they had to be tweeked is better than playing dumb. If they don't know for sure, no one does :P

I'll be interested to see when it actually get released, but certainly looking forward to it atm

• LucifrankLucifrank Member Posts: 355

Originally posted by Taera

Have some humor, guys! ;)
    Though the devs were disappointingly tight-lipped (as was pretty much expected) and the questions could have been a whole lot better, let's all give kudos to Laura for having to play nursery school policewoman to all the juvenile, submoronic tools who insisted on spamming the channel with unfunny, ignorant crap. Thanks for the /kicks!

• valenswiftvalenswift Member Posts: 46

if you like the other clip then try this it's genius.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpZWE8Br1ZA

• GhozerGhozer Member Posts: 35

since i run the IRC server its all hosted on, I can tell you that the mmorpg staff do not "approve" the questions, repeated questions, and inappropreate questions (such as "Why does ur game suck so much") get filtered, but after that, the dev's see all questions, and pick the ones they want to answer... if they want it Taera posts it, if they dont, they just skip it...

as for questions that were submitted, but not 'asked' -- all remaining questions have been logged and forwarded to the dev's, and depending if/when they answer them they will be posted on the forums for all to see... so your question(s) that were left may still get answered...

as i said before, the dev's pick which ones they want to answer, not mmorpg or us (the irc)

NetAdmin @ ForTheGamers IRC
    irc.ForTheGamers.Org
    www.ForTheGamers.Org

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

Originally posted by Dameonk

Originally posted by Cathalaode

Except this:

Wow.... I haven't seen that video in months.  How could I have forgotten about that internet gem.

Thanks for the great laugh.

is there any way you can link that site/clip? I can't seem to get to it

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

it was pretty much as expected.

some good tidbits of information though:

all melee DPS classes will have an "intercept" like ability - including a "tentacle grab" for Marauders

tanks will be able to use 2h weapons for offensive tanking

the eluded to the PVE dungeons - open dungeons with instanced bosses for groups and raids

the eluded that they plan on re-evaluating the importance of open world PVP objectives vs. instanced scenarios, awesome tidbit for those of us not wanting a repeat of the battleground grind from WoW

the mentioned some character customization features like armor dying and different choices upon character creation to keep the distinctive silhouette but still offer originality.

mentioned dwarf women getting bigger "braids" though it seems they may have been referring also to larger (different B word synonymous with pubescent angst)

that's all I can think of now without re-reading it.

I didn't attend the chat because I was playing Halo 3 lol, but i knew they'd post up a chat log.

• JinxysJinxys Member UncommonPosts: 488

Hey everyone.

Yeah it was an interesting dev chat, of course we didn't get to hear all the answers we wanted to hear, But thanks to mmorpg.com for hosting this, it was fun to be able to sit in and listen to the real Mythic devs.

Hrm not sure why everyone feels they wasted an hour or two, not like we were chained to our desks :P I was actually doing some reading and looking over the chat from time to time, knowing there would be a chat log. It was quite amusing to hear that question regarding multiplayer though, silly but amusing all the same.

-Manaia

• 0k210k21 Member Posts: 866

dev chats are a load of rubbish in my opinion, what they need to do instead of forcing players out of the conversation is stick the devs in one room with the players and have them talk to each other, not talk through them, I barely look at these things because of the way they're ran.

Quoting people doesn't make you clever, in fact, it makes you all the more stupid for not bothering to read the quotes you post in the first place.

• MiklanderMiklander Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by Ghozer

since i run the IRC server its all hosted on, I can tell you that the mmorpg staff do not "approve" the questions, repeated questions, and inappropreate questions (such as "Why does ur game suck so much") get filtered, but after that, the dev's see all questions, and pick the ones they want to answer... if they want it Taera posts it, if they dont, they just skip it...
    as for questions that were submitted, but not 'asked' -- all remaining questions have been logged and forwarded to the dev's, and depending if/when they answer them they will be posted on the forums for all to see... so your question(s) that were left may still get answered...

as i said before, the dev's pick which ones they want to answer, not mmorpg or us (the irc)

May you please give us the link in this thread when and if they answer those questions not answered in dev chat

Thank you

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Bad news , no bonus for grouping. I hate this it is so dumb, there should be + xp / reknow for grouping just like there is in DAOC. Not becuase there is in DAOC , but becuase it makes grouping worthwhile . It could be 3% + xp /RK per player in group, IE 2 players = +3%, 6 = +18%.

Other bad news Universal Cooldowns, WOW anyone. There can be many cool downs on abilities thats fine in fact its good. But unviversal cool downs are dumb. There should be moves/spells abilities that do not have any cooldown.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

These Dev Chats are mostly for entertainment and to get a chance to see the personalilites of the developers.    Some people seemed to think that they were going to announce the last elf classes or something.

By now we should ALL know that major news is saved for major conferences and shows.  It baffles me why people ALWAYS ask questions that they know would be big revealtions (How does Crafting work?  How do Living Guilds work?).    Everyone KNOWS they wont' be answered in an informal IRC discussion, but we get the questions anyway.    We'll get the answers to those types of questions the way we always have - major press releases, major articles or major events.

There were some useful tidbits of course - no XP bonus for grouping and such.  And the Devs also give people a general feel of the game with their chat and those tidbits.  Obviously some people aren't happy with what they're hearing and that's to be expected.  Mythic has been clear that they're not trying to make a game that will appeal to everyone, they want a a focused game and if that means less subscribers they're willing to accept that.   Which, frankly, has been one of WAR strengths IMO.    And I think that focus might actually bring in more subscribers rather than push them away.

• TaeraTaera Community ManagerMember CommonPosts: 1,078

Over 300 questions were submitted during the chat; while the devs stayed a half hour late to answer more of those questions, we still had 98 questions in the queue (after deleting duplicate questions).  Today I will be going through these questions and sending 20 on to the WAR team.

We apologize if your question did not get answered; there was no favoritism, no rating "X" question over "Y" question; questions were selected purely on a first come, first serve basis.

Laura "Taera" Genender
    Community Manager
    MMORPG.com

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

Originally posted by Taera

Over 300 questions were submitted during the chat; while the devs stayed a half hour late to answer more of those questions, we still had 98 questions in the queue (after deleting duplicate questions).  Today I will be going through these questions and sending 20 on to the WAR team.
    We apologize if your question did not get answered; there was no favoritism, no rating "X" question over "Y" question; questious were selected purely on a first come, first serve basis.

Very cool Taera.  My question was only included for humor purposes and submitted before I found out how large the queue was.