Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

G & H Canceled...

Comments

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

sooo....what happens to this forum?   does MMORPG unleash its power and wipe every mention of gods and Hero's from this site?    cant wait to see what happens

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• IijsIijs Member Posts: 457

So much potential, up in smoke. The G&H devs must be crushed.

I guess STO gets priority now -- can PE pull it off?

• WolfheartWolfheart Member Posts: 19

Originally posted by Slanger

Figures, I mean downsizing to make the game better... Once I saw that statement I knew something was up, no matter how they tried to spin it. And any company that has vaporware is not going to get any of my money. So I will not be playing STO, just one more game off the list.
    I agree, the way they  just stopped GH without ANY word to the testers first just sets wrong with me.

I do not know all the details, but I do not think someone in charge there woke up this morning and said, Screw Gods and Heroes, stop it now!

They could have told us, gave us a day or two warning.

As much as I am a fan of the Star Trek universe, if Perp makes it, I will not play it.

It will be Vapor too.

• URMAKERURMAKER Member UncommonPosts: 671
    Originally posted by Wolfheart

Figures, I mean downsizing to make the game better... Once I saw that statement I knew something was up, no matter how they tried to spin it. And any company that has vaporware is not going to get any of my money. So I will not be playing STO, just one more game off the list.
    I agree, the way they  just stopped GH without ANY word to the testers first just sets wrong with me.

I do not know all the details, but I do not think someone in charge there woke up this morning and said, Screw Gods and Heroes, stop it now!

As much as I am a fan of the Star Trek universe, if Perp makes it, I will not play it.

It will be Vapor too.

a day or two warning? haha what the hell difference would that make. this company should be applauded. the game wasn't heading in the direction they liked so, instead of releasing some half assed game in order to make a quick buck they decided quality matters and scrapped the project instead.

Originally posted by URMAKER

It will be Vapor too.

a day or two warning? haha what the hell difference would that make. this company should be applauded. the game wasn't heading in the direction they liked so, instead of releasing some half assed game in order to make a quick buck they decided quality matters and scrapped the project instead.

The difference is respect. Respect for those of us that were fans, that took beta testing for them seriously.

The day or two I speak of is not to PLAY the game, but just a heads up of what they were going to do.

Applauded? I do not think so.  They did not stop the game because it was not going the way they wanted, they stopped because they ran out of money, piss poor management that. (the lay offs were the first sign, as some one stated before).

• andyjdandyjd Member Posts: 229

Originally posted by URMAKER

It will be Vapor too.

The difference is respect. Respect for those of us that were fans, that took beta testing for them seriously.

The day or two I speak of is not to PLAY the game, but just a heads up of what they were going to do.

Applauded? I do not think so.  They did not stop the game because it was not going the way they wanted, they stopped because they ran out of money, piss poor management that. (the lay offs were the first sign, as some one stated before).

Well..telling the Beta testers would really be the same as telling the general public, as it would have leaked out....

I suppose they could have kept it open a day or two out of respect, but whats the point from the business point of view...

These things are always messy.

• NimrodookieNimrodookie Member Posts: 2

This news pretty much came as a shocker to me, not so much because I liked the game, but its pretty rare for a developer to cancel a game this far along development.

I tried the closed beta for a few days, and the first thing that came to mind was, "boy, this game plays and feels exactly like a really sloppy WoW clone with a Roman theme slapped on". The minion system was uninspired and definitely not the ground breaking feature they promised. Couple that with no pvp and crafting, made for a really bland quest and grind game.

However, that said, most of the key features of the game were already in place, albeit buggy and unbalanced, and given a few more months of testing and polish, would have made a decent niche MMO. I guess the competition factored a lot in this decision as well, since they would be head to head with other giants like Warhammer, Age of Conan and the WoW xpac, plus they probably didn't want a second rate bargain bin MMO as their maiden title to tarnish the company's name.

Oh well so much for that, RIP G&H

• LumberghLumbergh Member Posts: 123

It will be Vapor too.

It doesnt make business sense to tell you that they are killing something until the last minute. Every second before that final moment must be spent in trying to keep it alive enough to get an investor interested in it. If they went around telling everybody before hand the rumors would spread like wildfire, NDA or not.

mmmm yeeeah, thats greeat, a little to the left would be greeeat, ::sips coffee mug:::

I understand it from a business sense, investors and what not.

That being said, they STILL could have given us beta testers a DAY before they shut it all down, without even as a fart in our direction before hand.

Someone talked about the Dev Company rep, shutting down this way is going to hurt them.

There is a lot of games on the way, and has seen at Tabula Rassa..us gamers seem to be getting tired of the same ole way game developers and publishers treat us..but I digress...

It is bad form to treat the beta testers this way, not to put to fine a point on it.

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

They opened a Eulogy part in thier forums. In it is a thread made by Binky that states that G&H is nto over by no means. They will always have the chance to revisit it if neccesary, but as of now they have decided to basically put it on hold indefinatly. To me this sounds like there in the market looking for new investors, since the old ones, one in particular being Sony decided to drop along with the rest. Either way I find it funny they think of all things, STO will make a hit. I take it most of them are trekkie fans also. Oh well, guess I will have to wait until Stieg moves his arse back to blizzard and makes Diablo 3, if that ever happens. Anyways to all you fellow beta testers out there who read these boards, was much fun and hope to see you guys around. I'll be making my way towards hellgate london or TCOS.

Mack or better known as Sir Mack signing out!!

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Originally posted by mackdawg19

They opened a Eulogy part in thier forums. In it is a thread made by Binky that states that G&H is nto over by no means. They will always have the chance to revisit it if neccesary, but as of now they have decided to basically put it on hold indefinatly. To me this sounds like there in the market looking for new investors, since the old ones, one in particular being Sony decided to drop along with the rest. Either way I find it funny they think of all things, STO will make a hit. I take it most of them are trekkie fans also. Oh well, guess I will have to wait until Stieg moves his arse back to blizzard and makes Diablo 3, if that ever happens. Anyways to all you fellow beta testers out there who read these boards, was much fun and hope to see you guys around. I'll be making my way towards hellgate london or TCOS.
    Mack or better known as Sir Mack signing out!!

First, I agree. When even SOE wouldn't  even try to bail 'em out, there's something fundamentally wrong.

Second, STO will fail because they are NOT Trek fans. Read the STO forum section and see the ongoing uproar over the fact they've basicallt deisigned it as EvE with Trek skins. Also, the fact that their main people, especially Darren Stinnett, have no real idea how to give fans what they want. They have the opinion that making the game PE wants is better than what 90% of their community wants. "Cause, you know, developers know what we want better than we do.

Say NO!! to Perpetual Entertainment.

• KeoghKeogh Member Posts: 1,099

Lets put it this way, PE is so incompetent and unethical, that they make SOE look good in comparison.

"Don't corpse-camp that idea. Its never gonna rez"
    Bladezz (The Guild)

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582

So...as I had stated before...hopefully Bioware who has purchased the engine can make something of this mess...

I was in Closed Beta...and I tried to tell everyone this was headed for a big fail..

From shoddy camera controls, so-so graphics, too many crashes this far along, server was up maybe one to three times a week (when not crashed) and some of the most boring gameplay yet (even moreso than LOTRO)...it was doomed..

I uninstalled after their second wave of patches which was suppose to fix things, but the game was still the same...

Cheers!...and good move on PE's part!

• TrenytTrenyt Member Posts: 88

Originally posted by Dvol
    Wonder if the great Game fixer SoE will try to rescue this vaporware title too.

That wont do the 'game' any favors either.

As for Star Trek Online, i think PE lost 95% (this is not an accurate percentage but a brief approximation and is not liable to be flamed :) ) of their player base when they stated that they would not be including ship interiors in the release.

Atm its sounding like a glorified Star Trek Armada, which is not what i was/am expecting for a proper star trek online mmorpg franchise.

• stratego2007stratego2007 Member Posts: 12

Originally posted by openedge1

So...as I had stated before...hopefully Bioware who has purchased the engine can make something of this mess...
    I was in Closed Beta...and I tried to tell everyone this was headed for a big fail..
    From shoddy camera controls, so-so graphics, too many crashes this far along, server was up maybe one to three times a week (when not crashed) and some of the most boring gameplay yet (even moreso than LOTRO)...it was doomed..
    I uninstalled after their second wave of patches which was suppose to fix things, but the game was still the same...
    Cheers!...and good move on PE's part!

Was  in BT and stopped BT 1 month ago: can say I'm not surprised at all: boring, ultra repetitive and many crashes and bugs. A diablo like online. A fail.  VG, Lotro, TR and GnH : my last 4 MMORPGS, 4 bad exp.

0% fun.

100% money.

After those 4 mmorpgs, I'm not sure could play a MMO again.

Always same "quests"

mean killing thousand and thousand stupid  mobs for stupid loots, and stupid avatar. No more no less. Cry  when I think about Ultima, Morrowind or Arx Fatalis. MMORPGS are RPG killers.

We, BT and players, are stupid  and naive.

Coming back now to solo RPG and STR's + F2P MMORPGS.

• gimmly12gimmly12 Member Posts: 15

I just got a beta account and been trying to get one since agust so I got one now look been trying since sunday to play. SO mad just got a new vedieo card just for the game.

• ValeyardValeyard Member Posts: 13

Well i actually was enjoying it....but i guess if the game i played was the going to be the same at launch it would not have caught on.

But still, concentrating on Start Trek instead...

• TrenytTrenyt Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by gimmly12

I just got a beta account and been trying to get one since agust so I got one now look been trying since sunday to play. SO mad just got a new vedieo card just for the game.

well at least this new card you bought should allow you to jump straight into the upcoming games arriving in a shop near you soon(tm)

• theanimedudetheanimedude Member UncommonPosts: 1,610

I posted about this earlier yesterday, morning. At EB Games we got an e-mail stating it was cancelled the morning of Oct 9.

I don't know where my thread went, looks like it got deleted or something =/

EDIT: Found my post, it got moved http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/150932

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Originally posted by theanimedude

I posted about this earlier yesterday, morning. At EB Games we got an e-mail stating it was cancelled the morning of Oct 9.

It's right here: mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/1651597#1651597

And you can tell the ones who didn't believe you and gave ya crap for it to start coughing up apologies.

• keygankeygan Member Posts: 237

Anyone that feels bad that this game has failed...don't.  I played the beta and it was a terrible game.  Just be happy that you didn't waste your money on it at release.  Although Perpetual failed (hard) and lost money, atleast they had the common curtesy to halt the project and inform the general public that this game wasn't going to happen.... I mean they could of just as easy pulled a "mcquaid" and promised a whole bunch of stuff that wasn't going to happen and released a product that wasn't finished just to steal our money.  

I say   to perpetual for doing the right thing and keeping their good name alive.  Although I am not interested in the Star Trek game ...if I was I would give it a try because the company was honest to the public and didn't hose us for money.

PS:  To brad mcquaid...you owe me $50.00.

• KeoghKeogh Member Posts: 1,099

Originally posted by theanimedude

EDIT: Found my post, it got moved http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/150932
    It was moved to the General section under Rumors, before it was confirmed.

I want to say that I'm sorry I doubted your first report on this.

Thank you for sharing your information with the community early on.

"Don't corpse-camp that idea. Its never gonna rez"
    Bladezz (The Guild)

• ajm563ajm563 Member Posts: 48

Checks the calendar... it's not April 1st.  Damn!

I was looking forward to this game.  I never got a chance to Beta it, but some of the ideas seemed cool.  The combat looked fun. 

Oh well, another disappointment in the MMO genre.  Can anyone make a decent game these days?

• aurak1aurak1 Member UncommonPosts: 18

Well that sucked big time as I was testing the game and trying to help improve it, it was a big surprise to go on the site and read that slap you in the face letter does not bold well for any other games they are going to try and release such as Star Trek Online because we will expect the same type of abrupt response.

• CoriolanusCoriolanus Member Posts: 9

I played in the Beta and could tell that the game was going nowhere fast. There was a great concept which totally lacked execution skill.

I am not surprised that this happened. I am only surprised it took so long. Each new drop of beta code got worse and worse and worse -- bugs not fixed, new bugs occurring. It was ALPHA code not beta code.