Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A glimmer of hope....

Renaissance will hopefully bring hope and light to an industry plagued by the same cookie cutter EQ garbage.  Hopefully this game will save us from the management disaster that the DarkFall monopoly has become.  Renaissance's graphics already look superior to that of DF's.  After 7 years of poor dev management, DF's graphics already look outdated and the game is not even at beta yet.  It's about time other people start making games to compete with them!  Hail Renaissance!

Comments

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

I wouldn't get your hopes up. The forum is down, last post on mainpage (about mmosite's birthday or some crap) was 2 months ago, and they state right on the front page that they are looking for investors (i.e. they have no money for development). Right now, this one is just one step up from Darkfall on the vaporware scale, but vaporware nonetheless.

• HunnenkoenigHunnenkoenig Member Posts: 53

Zorvan: It's probably the irony of destiny, you wrote this yesterday. Shortly after your message the site was updated.

Please look at the site now.

EDIT: We have little problems with our domain registrar, so if 3dmagicbox.com doesn't work, try 3dmagicbox.net, eu, or renaissance-mmorpg.com

• aNgELfiRe_aNgELfiRe_ Member Posts: 37

Originally posted by Zorvan

I wouldn't get your hopes up. The forum is down, last post on mainpage (about mmosite's birthday or some crap) was 2 months ago, and they state right on the front page that they are looking for investors (i.e. they have no money for development). Right now, this one is just one step up from Darkfall on the vaporware scale, but vaporware nonetheless.

Have you ever done anything else, but calling others work a vaporware?

If many likes the different approach of this MMO, they will find investors easier.

Talking trash wont help anyone, not them, not others, not even yourself.

aF/SeRa

• wumptrooperwumptrooper Member Posts: 77

The reason why the word 'vaporware' comes up already is the same as with numerous similiar titles: new company promising ground-breaking MMO with features list that stomps the biggest games into the ground... yet they don't have much to show apart from a website and features list.

OK, maybe it's a way to get an investor, but if I was one I'd also prefer a more realistic approach. With all the knowledge of the past, dev studios should be more careful with planning (and annoucing) their features lists, because every time the outcome is the same - after years of development it becomes apparent that the amount of time and money required to do all of the stuff they envisioned in the beggining is much much higher... Shadowbane, Wish, Mourning, Dark & Light, Dragon Empires, Darkfall (even though I hope it gets released one day)... and a plethora of other titles I don't even remember cause all they ever had was a website with features lists before they got cancelled - so many titles to learn from! The few indie sandbox games that succeeded didn't promise golden apples but focused on features that made them unique (e.g. EVE, Ryzom).

In the end I'd love it to be different with Renaissance, not only because I thrive for a medieval/fantasy sandbox MMO, but also because the world looks more interesting than in other games. I like the realistic medieval feel on the screenshots, human races (enough with the fairies!) and prefer it to the high fantasy crap that most games are ridden with, even Darkfall. I know a random internet guy's opinion is quite worthless to you but for the love of God, cut down that feature list by half and focus on stuff that makes the game different. Make compromises. I'd really like to play a game for once, instead of looking at screenshots for 7 years  Either way, good luck.

Wumtrooper: Your opinion is as important as any other one. I know, what you try to say, but unfortuantely you don't get any attention by a half cut feature list. Not by players and not by Investors.

It's the Catch 22, but we mention everywhere that it is only a plan and we don't know, if we can realize everything. You just have to read the list to the bottom ;-P

We are not naive and we know, it will be hard, but if you plan this: I----I what will you get at the end?

So we plan this: I-------------------------------------------------------------I and maybe we will get this: I--------------------I

I know, many other projects damaged the small developers' image, but there must be faith. If you become cynical, you won't have joy in your life anymore.

So feel free to come to our forum and discuss your thoughts with us and others.

We welcome everyone, not just the "fanbois", if the criticism is constructive.

• ndpunchndpunch Member Posts: 208

Hard to determine what the game exactly looks like when there's only 13 pics (sorry, nowhere near as good as Darkfall), but I must admit the game has interesting ideas planned.

I'll check it out again in about 4 years.

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

As much as I would like to see this take off, the lack of information/development suggests that its either never going to make it out the door most likely, or that it will, but only after an unreasonable amount of time. Sadly games like this don't really get attention from anyone but the small niche crowds because larger established dev companies completely rob the spotlight with their "the next big generic mass audience money maker" game.  *sigh*.

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• gothgargothgar Member Posts: 87
    Originally posted by ndpunch

Hard to determine what the game exactly looks like when there's only 13 pics (sorry, nowhere near as good as Darkfall), but I must admit the game has interesting ideas planned.
    I'll check it out again in about 4 years.

4 years? Seems like you might be rushing them, lets give them 6.
  • Ravel_RPRavel_RP Member Posts: 127

I fail to see why we need to be bothered about a game that has little more to show than a feature list, some good intentions and modelling of some buildings.

Well, ok, best of luck and see you in five years, perhaps.

• chr1smchr1sm Member Posts: 42

I'm sorry but you cannot compare this mmorpg to "games" like Shadowbane, or EVE nonetheless ... PLEASE...

Renaissance and DarkFall are the only 2 games out there bringing anything new to the table.  None of the other games you mentioned even come close whatsoever.  They are all the same cookie cutter crap.  More games like these 2 should start taking pointers from Ultima Online pre-trammel.

If the words "persistent world", "player run cities", "custom houses" and "full loot" do not excite people here, then please go back to playing EQ, EVE, WoW, AO or go wait for some other garbage like AoC, thanks.

Originally posted by chr1sm

I'm sorry but you cannot compare this mmorpg to "games" like Shadowbane, or EVE nonetheless ... PLEASE...
    Renaissance and DarkFall are the only 2 games out there bringing anything new to the table.  None of the other games you mentioned even come close whatsoever.  They are all the same cookie cutter crap.  More games like these 2 should start taking pointers from Ultima Online pre-trammel.
    If the words "persistent world", "player run cities", "custom houses" and "full loot" do not excite people here, then please go back to playing EQ, EVE, WoW, AO or go wait for some other garbage like AoC, thanks.

Not to be nit-picky or anything, but none of those items are new. They've all been done before. Not to say I wouldn't enjoy a game with all of those things, but where is the "new"?

Originally posted by aNgELfiRe_

Have you ever done anything else, but calling others work a vaporware?

If many likes the different approach of this MMO, they will find investors easier.

Talking trash wont help anyone, not them, not others, not even yourself.

Read. When I go to a games' main page and nothing has been added in over two months ( at that time ), and no working forums ( at that time ), vaporware is an easy thing to suspect.

Read. When I go to a games' main page and nothing has been added in over two months ( at that time ), and no working forums ( at that time ), vaporware is an easy thing to suspect.

Read. Only one domain was unreachable for a few days because of problems on the ISP side (described in the forum).

We changed the server (which we PAY!) exactly at the same time, you were visiting it.

It seems you didn't even take a look at my post, which mentioned that the new site was released on the same day you wrote your nice post.

I believe, you didn't even look at the site after that. So what is vaporware? I think big famous companies have more difficulties with their sites, than we do.

As stated many times, we are at the very beginning and we are a small team. Why do you think, we should post every day something new?

Tell me a "big" game in the same stage like ours, where their site is updated every day.

So if you mean, our game is vaporware, then it's ok. Please don't ask for a beta key, when time comes

Originally posted by Hunnenkoenig

Read. Only one domain was unreachable for a few days because of problems on the ISP side (described in the forum).

We changed the server (which we PAY!) exactly at the same time, you were visiting it.

It seems you didn't even take a look at my post, which mentioned that the new site was released on the same day you wrote your nice post.

Please apply some reading comprehension before responding next time. Did you not see the words "( at that time )" which I used inresponse to another posters comment on my post? I did see your comment, had nothing to do with the post I was refering to.

I believe, you didn't even look at the site after that. So what is vaporware? I think big famous companies have more difficulties with their sites, than we do.

No, I didn't go look at the site again. You posted that it was still in development, after I posted here originally, which removed my original reason for calling it vaporware.

As stated many times, we are at the very beginning and we are a small team. Why do you think, we should post every day something new?

How many investors take a second look at a website where the main page hasn't been updated in 2 months ( which it had not been when I made my original post ).

Tell me a "big" game in the same stage like ours, where their site is updated every day.

They all update more than every 2 months.

So if you mean, our game is vaporware, then it's ok. Please don't ask for a beta key, when time comes

Trust me, I had no interest in applying for one to begin with.

No hard feelings, though. i wish you and your game well.

Good!

Have a nice day!

• iamloseriamloser Member Posts: 61

It seems that every great...and I mean great MMO seems to be vaporware. Though I do not believe that Darkfall is vaporware, nor do I believe that Reniassance is. Both similar and great games. Renaissance graphics are better, but Darkfalls type and gameplay is more my style. If Darkfall is never released and Renaissance is though, I'll be playing Renaissance.

------------------------------
    atsdf.com
    Among The Shadows
    Darkfall Clan