Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Mouse Review: Logitech G9

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

This week, MMORPG.com Hardware writer, Jeremy Star takes a look at the latest mouse offering from Logitech with the G9 mouse. He liked it, read on to find out why!

This week we're going to be taking a look at the newest mouse offering from PC peripheral giant Logitech, the G9 laser mouse.

The Hardware – Look ma, another G!

The G9 is a corded USB laser mouse with a 3200dpi. It features interchangeable grips, a custom weight tuning system, onboard memory, adjustable sensitivity, customizable LED colors, Polytetrafluoroethylene feet, and a MicroGear™ precision scroll wheel. Like all of G family of mice – the corded ones, anyway – the cord is a heavy duty braided one.

Read the whole thing here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• UrazielUraziel Member Posts: 172

Sounds great. I've been using the G5 for about 2 years now I think and it's still a solid mouse. I'll probably always stick to the G series from this one on.

• KnivesOnlyKnivesOnly Member Posts: 401

looks retro

• cupertinocupertino Member Posts: 1,094

That does not look comfy at all, the chuncky-ness reminded me of my Amiga 500 mouse

Ill stick with my Razor Deathadder. 

• LouiseKLouiseK Member Posts: 258

This mouse is AWFUL, 9/10... you must be on commission.

I'd give it 5/10 tops...

The mouse is based on the concept of it being fully customizable and have disregarded basic concepts such as comfort and functionality.

Yes you can make it bigger, but it just isn't comfortable when using the extremes so you go for the intermediate size.

The button edges are very pronounced so it takes effort to navigate your fingers to different buttons.

There is no where to comfortable rest your pinky, so its kinda left hanging or scraping along the mouse mat....

Yes you can customize the LED colour... but there is only a very small section of LED on it which is 100% hidden by your hand when you are actually using the mouse. There is no LED trimmings that remain visible.

Plus they have this fancy drawer for the weights to be placed in. If you do not get them to go in perfectly flat, you can't get the drawer back open. This is what happened to me within minutes of it being delivered and i had to force it open, leaving scratches on my new £100 mouse.

I'm still on the lookout for a new mouse, but £100 out of pocket. Save your money for a nice keyboard instead.

• lekizlekiz Member Posts: 171

Holy fugly, batman!

I'll stick with my G5...

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

it's just a mouse. 

you need a REALLY big ego to have a mouse like this.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• daemondaemon Member UncommonPosts: 680

Sorry but this is not top of the game as the reviewer suggests and its not really confortable.

Oh and Razer Lachesis had 4000 dpi laser engine for a while now.

http://www.razerzone.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=72

• DestroyeronDestroyeron Member Posts: 79

Is the Lachesis being sold?

Also you say it's expensive, but never mention how much it is.

I would never buy that mouse simply because it's ugly as hell, its a friggin brick and looks like a POS.

Yes, I am a Razer owner and I am horribly biased as well.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Mice are very personal, everyones hands are different, different tastes too. Not everyone has long finger nails either.

I've seen this mouse sold in N.America for $85 or about 42 pounds (uk) If the reader above paid $200 for this mouse then you deserve to be shot!

I kinda like the retro look, I know in my local store I can go in and spend 20 minutes with the mouse for inital feelings, and i'll be doing that right before next pay day =)

• SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133

It seems odd to me to review such a high-end mouse intended for twitch gaming on an MMORPG site - the review was fine and all, but the applicability to this fan-base is iffy.

I have used lowly, old-school, first-generation optical mice with just two buttons and no customization, and high-end laser mice with tuning systems and profiles and excellent DPI and all, and honestly cannot claim a performance benefit when playing WoW, LotRO, or EverQuest II.

So, I am sure for hardcore FPS people this mouse and ones like it are a blessing, but I do not think someone who pretty much strictly plays MMOGs can justify this purchase in terms of game improvements. If I bought it I would only do it to show off and feed my desire to have the best hardware, since clicking a massive on-screen target and then pressing button macros to attack does not require precision.

• Agent_X7Agent_X7 Staff WriterMember, Newbie CommonPosts: 515

I tend to not include prices in the reviews, since they are so fluid. At the time I wrote the review, the price was pretty much a solid $99 US everywhere, but now that it has been published, you can find it cheaper. (Albeit still more than you would expect to pay for a mouse.)

"Twitch" gaming applies to MMORPGs as well. Anybody who PVPs in WoW can attest to that. Spinning and running in circles so that the rogue can't backstab you is much easier with a good gaming mouse. 

Agent_X7 AKA J Star
    [/URL]image
    Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com or its management.

• SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133

Originally posted by Agent_X7

"Twitch" gaming applies to MMORPGs as well. Anybody who PVPs in WoW can attest to that. Spinning and running in circles so that the rogue can't backstab you is much easier with a good gaming mouse. 

Well, I used to PvP in WoW and cannot attest to that, so clearly not "anybody" can.

I use an MS wireless (oh no, wireless!) laser 5000 series mouse and can spin in circles just fine, and as one might guess, this is not even close to a gaming mouse - not corded, has no fancy features, is meant for home/office use. Spinning is a gross movement, not a refined movement. A refined movement is targeting the head of someone at 100 yards with a gun in an FPS, as you only have a very few pixels to aim at and need precision. A gross movement is holding down a button and twirling around, something any mouse made since we ditched those balls can do.

Anyway, I am sure these uber mice are a delight to use, at least in titles they are designed for, but I honestly think we are deluding ourselves when we start making performance claims in a game like WoW. But that is just me. If people enjoy these mice and feel it helps them out in MMORPGs, all the power to them, I simply remain unconvinced.

• DestroyeronDestroyeron Member Posts: 79

Originally posted by Sornin

Originally posted by Agent_X7

Well, I used to PvP in WoW and cannot attest to that, so clearly not "anybody" can.

I use an MS wireless (oh no, wireless!) laser 5000 series mouse and can spin in circles just fine, and as one might guess, this is not even close to a gaming mouse - not corded, has no fancy features, is meant for home/office use. Spinning is a gross movement, not a refined movement. A refined movement is targeting the head of someone at 100 yards with a gun in an FPS, as you only have a very few pixels to aim at and need precision. A gross movement is holding down a button and twirling around, something any mouse made since we ditched those balls can do.

Anyway, I am sure these uber mice are a delight to use, at least in titles they are designed for, but I honestly think we are deluding ourselves when we start making performance claims in a game like WoW. But that is just me. If people enjoy these mice and feel it helps them out in MMORPGs, all the power to them, I simply remain unconvinced.

I agree with this, perhaps we can hope for a game that will allow mice like this to be at home in some type of mmo game.

• FaelanFaelan Member UncommonPosts: 819

That mouse looks very retro. I like that actually.

But in everyday use, it all comes down to which mouse offers me more comfort. So far, that price has fallen to my current G7 mouse which I love to death. Despite being cordless, it's very responsive, quite precise and not having the cord constantly get in the way is a godsend. Only drawback is that the supplied rechargable batteries only last a good day of intensive gaming, but it only takes a couple of seconds to change and the charger is quick enough to keep up with battery usage. By the time the battery in the mouse goes flat, the one in the charger has been ready for hours and you always get a fair warning when the battery is about to die.

Sure, the FPS crowd might laugh at me for using a cordless, but I'm an MMO player and the G7 is in no way a hindrance when it comes to WoW PvP. Quite the opposite. Since MMOs tend to be more about investing countless of hours and doing repetitive tasks rather than quick precision sniping from hundreds of yards away, comfort is IMHO much more important than DPI, acceleration speed, USB polling, fancy looks etc. If it feels good in your hand, responds the way you want it to and the buttons are placed right where you want them, then go for it.

Unfortunately, no mouse review is going to tell you how a certain mouse will make your hand feel after a 12 hour XP grind marathon since it's all so individual, so you just have to try things out on your own

I'm a big ol' fluffy carewolf. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• ticktockmanticktockman Member Posts: 10

damn i must be really out of touch. i had no idea they were coming out with a new G mouse.  I just picked up another g5 for a total of 6 last week.  i have two for my 2 computers, had to get 2 for the g/f's two computers, 1 for work, and then the new one for my laptop.

im sure as soon as i get a chance to try this new one ill have to buy 6 of those!  i like that they didnt go wireless because i got tired of having battery problems with wireless mice years ago

shouldnt have taken any points off for looks. even the g5 looks ugly compaired to the plain mice of yesterday.  new tech is cool when it looks different. besides form follows function is the rule.

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613
    Originally posted by ticktockman

damn i must be really out of touch. i had no idea they were coming out with a new G mouse.  I just picked up another g5 for a total of 6 last week.  i have two for my 2 computers, had to get 2 for the g/f's two computers, 1 for work, and then the new one for my laptop.
    im sure as soon as i get a chance to try this new one ill have to buy 6 of those!  i like that they didnt go wireless because i got tired of having battery problems with wireless mice years ago
    shouldnt have taken any points off for looks. even the g5 looks ugly compaired to the plain mice of yesterday.  new tech is cool when it looks different. besides form follows function is the rule.

don't bother bringing a fancy mouse to work it's something they use to test the size of your ego.  for each button beyond two your ego is double the size.  and yes managers do pay attention to that.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• SarethorSarethor Member UncommonPosts: 41

Originally posted by Stradden

This week, MMORPG.com Hardware writer, Jeremy Star takes a look at the latest mouse offering from Logitech with the G9 mouse. He liked it, read on to find out why!

This week we're going to be taking a look at the newest mouse offering from PC peripheral giant Logitech, the G9 laser mouse.
    The Hardware – Look ma, another G!

The G9 is a corded USB laser mouse with a 3200dpi. It features interchangeable grips, a custom weight tuning system, onboard memory, adjustable sensitivity, customizable LED colors, Polytetrafluoroethylene feet, and a MicroGear™ precision scroll wheel. Like all of G family of mice – the corded ones, anyway – the cord is a heavy duty braided one.

Read the whole thing here.

A mouse like this I'd definitely have to test drive before I dropped $100.  I love my G5 and just got a replacement as, after 14 months of hard mileage, the right mouse button failed.

Oh, and Polytetrafluororethylene (PTFE) is the chemical compound for the trademarked name:  Teflon.  Further proof that all marketing people need to be strung up with piano wire.   Of course, the more likely explanation is that DuPont wants some royalties for using their (TM) in any product description and Logitech were unwilling to pay.  

The internet is an amazing platform for some people to showcase their deficiencies as a person.

Regards,
    Sarethor

• ticktockmanticktockman Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by paulscott

don't bother bringing a fancy mouse to work it's something they use to test the size of your ego.  for each button beyond two your ego is double the size.  and yes managers do pay attention to that.

We have a major arms escalation going on at work, the lunch hour game time competition in intense.  We all have the exact same computer but EVERYBODY had upgraded their keyboard and mouse in an attempt to gain some advantage.

• TambourineTambourine Member UncommonPosts: 181

Wow...

• ShivianDShivianD Member Posts: 1

I picked this mouse up a few days ago, and returned it the next day. I am not trying to bash the reviewer at all, but I find the review to be very lacking.

I personally give the mouse a 6/10... maybe 7/10 if a new more streamlined face plate is released (and if it doesn't cost more than $10).

This mouse is not designed for MMORPG games. Any old mouse that you find comfortable will work for an MMORPG. This is a FPS mouse all the way, and is not comfortable at all. If you like actually holding the mouse in the palm of your hand like I do, then this mouse is NOT for you as it is very small (incomparison to the rest of the 'G' line from logitech) This mouse is super customizable with weights, faceplates, adjustable DPI, built in memory, and so on. Too bad the majority of the customazations are prettymuch worthless for anyone who wants a real gaming mouse and not just a cool new toy.

Features I found worthless:

• The faceplates (the two that are currently available) are VERY uncomfortable and are not very well designed IMO. I actually ended up useing the mouse with no faceplate at all and found that the most comfortable and usable.
    • There is almost no need for 3200 DPI as the majority of games can't actually be played at this very jerky setting.
    • Custom LED colors are nice and all... but your hand will cover them anyway. Besides, who is looking at their mouse while they play a game?
    • Switchable (from smooth to 'clicky') scroll wheel is a good idea but the 'smooth' version is much too loose and will continue to spin for several seconds after the slightest touch of your finger.

Features I found usefull:

• Awsome drivers (setpoint 5) are very easy to use and very customizable.
    • The scroll wheel has a flat surface instead of a convex rounded one.
    • Insertable weights... but the G5 has this already.
    • On the fly DPI change.... G5 has it
    • Strong Braided cord.... G5, G7 both have it.
    • Teflon feet.... G5, G7, MX518 and so on all have it

Conclusion:

Unless you just want a new toy to brag about, save yourself 50 bucks and go buy a new G5 or G7 wireless mouse. This was a big letdown for me compared to the rest of the Logitech 'G' line of mouses.

• superdave205superdave205 Member Posts: 3

Ego size from your mouse?  I have never heard of that!  I thought it was the car you drive.  lol

I have a MX Revolution and a DiNovo keyboard on my desk at work, not because I want everybody to see them but I really like the way they type and move.

• superdave205superdave205 Member Posts: 3

I have the G9 too for playing Planetside and WoW.  Nope you don't really need this mouse for WoW but for FPS it is awesome!  Very smooth but I am bias towards Logitech.  I didn't like the feel of the Razor to tell the truth but everybody's hands are different.

• mightynuttermightynutter Member Posts: 7

i've had this mouse for a long time, upgraded from MX518, costed just over the price of MX518 which was awesome but also getting old, so i decided to go for it and i don't regret it.

also i don't see why people link mice and egos together, it's stupid as it's all down to little details of preference. you shouldn't trust reviews on the comfort of something, just the specs.

i wouldn't mind trying a razer out for a while but i'm not gonna buy it just to try it :P