Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PLAY THIS GAME!

Marcus79Marcus79 Member Posts: 24

And here is a thread to list all the positive points of PlaneShift. I think the bashing done in other threads brings to nothing, and I want to counterbalance with some positive feedback. I played for few months now and I would like to share with you my findings.

PlaneShift is one of the few games which allow you to follow its development! Right, the game is still at version 0.3, so long way from completion, but the developers decided to make it public, so everyone can see the improvements and participate. They are shaping the game right now, and people can contribute with ideas. I spoke personally to some of the devs on chat, and they are eager to hear good ideas.

PlaneShift is one of the few which consider roleplay important, maybe too much in some cases! :) I saw some roleplayers getting very serious about it, but if it's a bit fuzzy at start, then it becomes pretty cool to make the world look more real.

I think the story and world are very interesting and different. There are lot of possibilities for new areas... like the ones explained in the books you find in the library.

The web site and the game is completely ads free. Which is very rare.

This game is made by people like us, not by a company making money! Pretty cool what they managed to create in their spare time!

Ah ah, if the devs want, I can be their PR guy ;)

Please list here the good things you found about this game.

Comments

• AmerunoAmeruno Member Posts: 4

Great thread!!

What i love about planeshift is the fact that GMs and Devs realy wants to make this an Roleplayers game!

The second thing i love is the Community! Everybody contributes in their own way to the roleplay even if it is not what they mainly think off. Another little detail is that everybody whit artistic knowledge and/or other skills can join up in the Developers team and contribute to the whole game!

Furthermore i realy like the fact that you have to interact whit NPCs (In quests) by text messages, just like talking to any other person in game.

So I realy want to say that if you are looking for a roleplaying game join us in Planeshift!

• pstruthpstruth Member Posts: 233

The quest system is actually one of my least favorite aspects of the game. Quest solutions are hard to guess at and often nonsensical. It's also annoying that you have to phrase everything exactly right, even if it means using bad grammar on purpose. It's also possible to accidentally trigger later parts in some quests and so you have to abandon the quest and restart it the next time it's offered to you. I think it's a nice idea the way they did it but the execution needs some work.

To Marcus, it's ok to praise something's strengths and at the same time be critical of its weaknesses and faults. Those who are the most critical of Planeshift are among those who want it to succeed the most.

• TaladTalad PlaneShift DeveloperMember UncommonPosts: 83

Version 0.20 is out, another reason to play the game! 

Come to play or enhance our game PlaneShift!
  • AnumesaAnumesa Member Posts: 19
    I saw snow today in-game for the first time and it was so cool!!!! I love the weather system, it brings another great aspect to the game and enhances RP greatly (snowball fight!!)

• QueenofFoolsQueenofFools PlaneShift DeveloperMember Posts: 61

Let me start out by saying I am a developer for Planeshift.

I think the game is definitely worth playing. Our developers come 95% from our player base. I played the game with that weirdo religious dedication that only a great game can inspire for well over a year before my application to the team was accepted. During my time as a regular player of the game I found it to be the single most rewarding roleplaying experience I had ever had. Playing the game, and recognizing the many ways in which it could be improved is what inspired me to want to join the team.

Since I joined many things have changed considerably. In other places on this forum you may see people who identify any number of woes associated with the game. From the license to the behavior of mods, gms, and devs. No one denies that this and any project can benefit from changes, however I think the negativity currently directed at the game is way out of proportion in relation to the places that the game can improve.

I encourage not all gamers, but that specific cross-section that earnestly enjoys role playing to come and give us a try first and foremost.  Our niche is role playing.

I would also say however that players of all kinds can get some joy out of the game. Come, try it out, you may end up staying on, learning to role play, joining the team, and helping us to build the dream of an ad-free fee-free mmoRPg that is family friendly. 

If you do not come with unrealistic expectations you are very unlikely to become one of the very few who have taken to undermining this fine project vociferously wherever possible, and are very likely to enjoy yourself and meet some brilliant people.

• Marcus79Marcus79 Member Posts: 24

Ah, good to see someone likes it like me.... maybe we can make a guild together? :)

Originally posted by QueenofFools

Let me start out by saying I am a developer for Planeshift.
    I think the game is definitely worth playing. Our developers come 95% from our player base. I played the game with that weirdo religious dedication that only a great game can inspire for well over a year before my application to the team was accepted. During my time as a regular player of the game I found it to be the single most rewarding roleplaying experience I had ever had. Playing the game, and recognizing the many ways in which it could be improved is what inspired me to want to join the team.

Since I joined many things have changed considerably. In other places on this forum you may see people who identify any number of woes associated with the game. From the license to the behavior of mods, gms, and devs. No one denies that this and any project can benefit from changes, however I think the negativity currently directed at the game is way out of proportion in relation to the places that the game can improve.

I encourage not all gamers, but that specific cross-section that earnestly enjoys role playing to come and give us a try first and foremost.  Our niche is role playing.

I would also say however that players of all kinds can get some joy out of the game. Come, try it out, you may end up staying on, learning to role play, joining the team, and helping us to build the dream of an ad-free fee-free mmoRPg that is family friendly. 

If you do not come with unrealistic expectations you are very unlikely to become one of the very few who have taken to undermining this fine project vociferously wherever possible, and are very likely to enjoy yourself and meet some brilliant people. 

I agree it's a roleplayer's game. That's why I like it.:)

I wonder how some of you think PlaneShift could be more player friendly . . .

The ps universe is a changing thing, I like that about it.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I gave it a brief trial a few weeks back, I never got out of the tutorial.  I couldn't seem to navigate properly.  The controls are a bit unconventional and I found myself running all over the place.

Combine that with the text based parser and I decided it wasn't going to work for me.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Yeah, ya kinda need to read to play PS.

• moteyalphamoteyalpha Member Posts: 32

I am just stunned a the comments that people make, I first saw Planeshift by searching for a free MMORPG, expecting not to see one because the development effort would be monumental and the complexity would keep someone from devising a method for it. However I found that there were people who had worked for years building and expanding a software that I find impressive. I was excited to see what the game was really like and I didn't have high hopes. Even though the start of the game was at first hard to understand, I realized that it was necessary to introduce people to the RP environment if they are used to FPS games as I am. It is a completely different concept to interact with people -as- people and not *targets*.

The game has some way to go to be polished but that is what it is - a game in development- and no one I spoke to at #Planeshift on IRC said otherwise. I never had a problem with the tutorial, and I had to do a couple things over because I was in such a hurry to find out what the game was like. When I finished the tutorial and was tele-ported to the actual world, I  had a little culture shock. It was odd seeing players talk to each other and just have fun without killing or competing. If you like combat there is an arena to fight in and that is nice.

I don't see why people have to leave such horrible negative comments, it isn't like anybody is in competition for holiday dollars, IT"S FREE as in totally and absolutely FREE. Why rate it negative, afraid that someone might find that a free game is better than a commercial game perhaps? That is all I can figure.

It's free, try it, takes 2 minutes to get a confirmation, and you are in. If you hate it delete it.

My guess is that based on the fact that the number of players on-line has doubled since I started playing (2 weeks ago), might be a good indicator that people like it.

One other thing I like about it is the way in which abuse is handled. It is generally PG13 in all aspects and though I am older I get tired of people saying ****** in every other word like it is a proper adjective. I once typed omg in the game and I was stunned that it translated it to something like "praise the spirit", I didn't think omg was considered swearing but perhaps it is in some techy way :)

Actually Tuxide that is a good point, Included in with Planeshift was a lot of other games that were marked as free but weren't. I had to redefine my search as "free and open source MMORPG". Good call!

That is what really drew me in, because I love learning from other people's code. Not to be OT but Linux in general has so much good stuff for a programmer and Planeshift is a good example of that. I have worked and learned with mesa3d and to see where the opengl leads and what can be done with it is impressive. I am looking forward to opengl 3.0, that looks really exciting.

Having done work with "X" and DRI it is so nice to see a 3d worlds because device driver work can be a bit tedious at times. I get a laugh every time I start up my client-server on my machine.  With the help of the people at #planeshift-build and some good tutorials it was actually very -painless-.

And on top of that I get to play the game to test it :)

I wonder how some of you think PlaneShift could be more player friendly . . .
    Ok, now you're just playing dumb.  I think one small step is to avoid making comments like these:

Yeah, ya kinda need to read to play PS.

The guy had a valid point and you jumped on him for it.

Originally posted by moteyalpha

One other thing I like about it is the way in which abuse is handled. It is generally PG13 in all aspects and though I am older I get tired of people saying ****** in every other word like it is a proper adjective. I once typed omg in the game and I was stunned that it translated it to something like "praise the spirit", I didn't think omg was considered swearing but perhaps it is in some techy way :)

"Omg" is disallowed because it's disruptive to roleplay. It's like using l33t speach.

Pstruth:

I think Planeshift is player friendly at least as much as anywhere. People will be people and stuff happens.

I think that XilliX has seen a lot and as far as the comment about "ya kinda need to read" you would have to know him to actually appreciate that. It is humor. He didn't berate the person, I quite often will say rtfm when I get burnt out on support. It is very difficult to stay objective when you hear the same question 1,000 times. In #ubuntu they have a bot that answers common questions and that is very nice. I believe that one is going to be implemented for #Planeshift so people can get more help if they find the transition to different gaming style confusing. I just started playing two weeks ago and I am a little embarassed about some of the questions I asked. It is very hard for me to go back and see the game in that perspective. Some of the people who have played for years do develop a degree of support burnout. That is true everywhere. 

I thank you for clearing up the issue with omg, that makes sense. But I did notice that someone once came up to me in game and said "fo shizzle" and it didn't convert that. I would say that to convert every possible idiom would be a monumental task like babelfish.

And as far as 1337 or 2600 I don't know what that is all about.

For your information: rtfm stands for "read the fine manual"

I think that XilliX has seen a lot and as far as the comment about "ya kinda need to read" you would have to know him to actually appreciate that.
    Exactly. It's not a safe joke to make in this situation. He belittled the person, and that can be recieved as being berated even if it isn't the intent.

Planeshift is player friendly as far as I have seen. If you take things in context of the internet. I would like to see you as an OP. There would be one person left in the channel -you- lol

Is this about how Planeshift can be more player friendly or about XilliX, you are confusing me?

As far a running people down, there are flame wars like -this thread- every day and if you don't develop a little perspective it will eat you up.

Originally posted by Tuxide

Don't know how you can speak for someone else, pstruth. The person obviously hasn't responded yet.

Sorry, you are correct, I got the threads mixed up. It's possible that Kyleran recieved it as a good natured joke. I know that if I were in his shoes, that would not be my reaction, but I'm not Kyleran.

Still, it wasn't a good way to respond. Kyleran was saying "this is not the right game for me for such and such reasons", and QueenofFools came out swinging.

Planeshift is player friendly as far as I have seen. If you take things in context of the internet. I would like to see you as an OP. There would be one person left in the channel -you- lol
    Is this about how Planeshift can be more player friendly or about XilliX, you are confusing me?
    As far a running people down, there are flame wars like -this thread- every day and if you don't develop a little perspective it will eat you up.

Huh?

I think Planeshift does a good job of being friendly to new players, I felt at home and in fact someone said you are part of the family when I first went to the #Planeshift site. I thought that might be a little too friendly but what do I know.  Your comments don't even bother me. I find it a bit cryptic though. When I have a problem with somebody at PS I just go to the groups or email somebody with my complaints. I actually don't expect to get a good result every time but is more direct and solves more problems. If I have a problem with XilliX or any other dev or GM or player or anybody , here is what I do:

I log onto IRC /join #planeshift I type "hello (insert person) why do you do this I don't agree" and a discussion ensues. 

Here is what I would do:

"Hey XilliX don't you think you were a bit harsh with the Kyleran post" and he would say what I don't know but then that would not involve me here would it?

You should try that, I am there a lot too.

Oh. Let me make it clear that I don't want to paint Planeshift as entirely bad. I think there's a lot of good, and there is some bad.

As far as messaging QueenofFools privately, pointing out the nature of his comments is relevant to the discussion we're having. I don't see what motivation there is for me to keep my reaction private, especially if Kyleran was bothered by the post QOF made.

There you go assuming again, want me to go IG and find the person who posted and ask them what they think and have them post their opinion here?

It is a support issue, IF you think a wrong has been done say so and I am off to find Kyleran?

You're call.

I honestly don't think you are completely negative about Planeshift, but I am serious about what I mean. The community is important to me and if there is something rotten going on I want it fixed! Things do happen and  I try to rectify what I can. You aren't happy with the way things are run and it is a fact that just like the software, many thing can be improved but like I tell people when they say that "x" is spelled wrong or "y" doesn't do what is supposed to --- Make a bug Track report and we can get it fixed. It isn't that easy when it comes to people, you can't just revert opinions once they are formed and that is a human thing.  As far as Kyleran is concerned, he is a long time member of MMORPG and he can be PM'd if you think this is a real issue. I personally think it is not, but I can't really say for someone else. I would defer to anyone else in this matter and if Kyleran were worried about it he would watch threads he posts like everyone else. My guess is he is having a good laugh at how much time people spend on some silly little comment that he ignored. A person who works on the game could say "my feelings are hurt he diss'd the tutorial and the game" and would they not be just as slighted? What of the feelings of the people who spend as much as 50 hours a week fixing things and tracking bugs.

I SERIOUSLY want to hear any constructive criticism you have and deal with it . The Planeshift IRC is as public as here and I am not asking you to stop pointing out flaws, just give us something we can fix. Please.

There you go assuming again, want me to go IG and find the person who posted and ask them what they think and have them post their opinion here?
    It is a support issue, IF you think a wrong has been done say so and I am off to find Kyleran?
    You're call.

If Kyleran wasn't bothered by QOF's post, does that mean QOF's post was ok?

Originally posted by Tuxide     Furthermore, publicly accusing one of being an ass is also an ass-move in itself.

Interesting.

I honestly don't think you are completely negative about Planeshift, but I am serious about what I mean. The community is important to me and if there is something rotten going on I want it fixed! Things do happen and  I try to rectify what I can. You aren't happy with the way things are run and it is a fact that just like the software, many thing can be improved but like I tell people when they say that "x" is spelled wrong or "y" doesn't do what is supposed to --- Make a bug Track report and we can get it fixed. It isn't that easy when it comes to people, you can't just revert opinions once they are formed and that is a human thing.  As far as Kyleran is concerned, he is a long time member of MMORPG and he can be PM'd if you think this is a real issue. I personally think it is not, but I can't really say for someone else. I would defer to anyone else in this matter and if Kyleran were worried about it he would watch threads he posts like everyone else. My guess is he is having a good laugh at how much time people spend on some silly little comment that he ignored. A person who works on the game could say "my feelings are hurt he diss'd the tutorial and the game" and would they not be just as slighted? What of the feelings of the people who spend as much as 50 hours a week fixing things and tracking bugs.

I SERIOUSLY want to hear any constructive criticism you have and deal with it . The Planeshift IRC is as public as here and I am not asking you to stop pointing out flaws, just give us something we can fix. Please.

The thing is, people aren't machines. You can't work with them like you work with code.

As far as Kyleran is concerned, he's really irrelevant. The point I was trying to make is that QOF's post would be taken negatively by the average person. If Kyleran saw nothing wrong with the post, there would still be a problem.

What does it mean to "diss" something? Do you mean to say that pointing out ways the game could be improved is inherently disrespectful? Are you saying that a person cannot enjoy the game and believe in the dev team and yet at the same time see ways things could be improved? I think that's foolish.

I do not see Planeshift's IRC channel as free or public,  though some disagree. Criticism of the dev team is not tolerated there. It's against the rules to talk about anything to do with the GM team. The moderation there is very facist. The conversations on these forums would not be possible on the IRC channel. Plus there's the fact that the text doesn't stick around. You can't post something, spend a day at the office, then come back and see what people said in reply. Everything there is in real time and is temporary. Now, that's convenient if you don't want anything to stick around, but that's rather the opposite of public.