Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DONT PLAY THIS GAME

geggogeggo Member Posts: 1

Please...dont play this horrible game... I made a mistake and gave ir a try.It took me 2 days to get it going...had to download multiple mirrors,part of the character classes were not available etc. And when I FINALLY got playing there was no map of any gind and i were totally lost...I found some npc and sayd "hi" to them,they said back something like "hey.how can I help you?", And i said,for example,"where could I buy a weapon?" and they said "Sorry,i dont know what are you talking about" or "could you repeat" or "speak english please" etc. There were only 3-7 other players besides me and they werent very friendly.i had to ask for hours to get any information.finally someone told me where the low lvl monsters are and when i got there i wasnt able to kill them.... the game said "you cannot attack the rat right now". later i found out that there was a bug.There were no gm:s at all exept for a text that appeared ewerytime i logged on the game "theres a bug in our system.We are trying to fix it." wich i find very hard to believe... The only good things in this fuc*ing game are the decent graficks and...well thats all. DONT PLAY THIS GAME!!! ITS DYING!!! JUST DONT PLAY IT!!! The best moment was uninstalling this horrible game...                 

(\/) HELLO
(. .) /
o( .)o
(_)(_)

Comments

• HappyFunBallHappyFunBall Member UncommonPosts: 221
    You know, when I downloaded this, they had a few screens that stressed that the download was only a TECH DEMO and not and alpha, beta, or even close to a complete game.

On the other hand, I would never have made the decision to allow this to be released as a tech demo, either (if it were up to me of course).  There was nothing there to impress anyone.  Basically, it was the exact opposite.  Tech demos are supposed to be impressive, this was , well, not even close.

I wish them luck, but they have a long, long way to go.
  • fouloleronfouloleron Member Posts: 2

the reason you hate it is a mystery to me, i played for a minute and loved it, happy fun ball is right, it is a beta game and should not be treated otherwise, there are people working night and day just to make a half decent game and then you go and insult its few flawsother players are nice but only if you are nice to them, npc intelligence is low but you soon work out good questions, like who are you? or what can i do for you? it is realistic and so there are no maps, your name could change peoples attitudes to you, for example if your name is something like poophead2 or weewee people will assume you are not serious and treat you as such also running the updater will solve the bug, it doesnt happen by magic, give planeshift another go without stupidity or L337 speak and you will love it for its immersive roleplaying and look out for me Traubon Loderr, ill give you a hand

• maveric007maveric007 Member UncommonPosts: 160

The game needs more developers to be honest. With the current constrains of not allowing people to download the source art it makes it impossible for anyone to help out on this project. This game has been in development for a long time and is looking better. However it could actually be much further along if they would open source the ENTIRE game.

• fouloleronfouloleron Member Posts: 2

I have to agree with you there, open source all the way when you want something done quickly!

• maveric007maveric007 Member UncommonPosts: 160

not just quick though. That would add more innovation to the game as well as more funding towards the project.

• TwinchaosTwinchaos Member Posts: 13

Originally posted by geggo

there was no map... and i were totally lost...

A couple of years ago, anyone who suggested an in-game map/mini-map on the official PlaneShift forum, was frowned upon. Now they sell a static and minimalistic map that looks like it was done in MS Paint, and it isn't very useful at all.

• OlsonatorOlsonator Member Posts: 61

Originally posted by Twinchaos

A couple of years ago, anyone who suggested an in-game map/mini-map on the official PlaneShift forum, was frowned upon. Now they sell a static and minimalistic map that looks like it was done in MS Paint, and it isn't very useful at all.

Wellllll on the britght side it is progress. Better then no map.

• 3hundred3hundred Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by Olsonator

Not if it's a useless map that took years to be implemented, and used as the only "map solution" instead of a real time mini-map, which according to their official forum, is never going to be implemented.

Originally posted by Olsonator

A useless map is not better than no map. I think you need to read my post again. The map is absolutely and utterly useless.

• NurahkNurahk Member Posts: 21

I find this forum hilarious xP

No, anyone who suggested a mini-map was, and still is, frowned upon.  in-game maps have been in the plan since MB.

Originally posted by Nurahk

I find this forum hilarious xP

I find your misleading statements to be pure comedy by comparison. ;-)

Originally posted by Nurahk

No, anyone who suggested a mini-map was, and still is, frowned upon.  in-game maps have been in the plan since MB.

No, anyone who suggested a detailed regular map, a mini-map, a compass or anything that shows some kind of coordinates was/is frowned upon because the "devs" consider it to be a "spoiler" and that it "prevents exploration". Here's an example of someone asking for a "PS map" (they didn't mention a mini-map):

http://hydlaa.com/smf/index.php?topic=27452.0

I really need a planeshift map...

And here's the answer they've gotten from a "dev" and a "mod" in the same thread:

That would be giving you a spoiler. We have a stickied thread of general maps of the PS world (General Discussion), but nothing specific of cities or the wilderness. Either you will have to ask around in a more inconspicuous manner, make maps on your own using paper and pencils, or you will have to wait for a cartography skill.

In-game maps have not, in fact, been planned since MB. What has been planned is a "cartography" skill where you have to manually draw your own custom maps and use your own notes for everything. It is then planned that you can purchase these custom maps from other people, if you aren't interested in being a cartographer.

Incidentally, the "general maps" aren't in a sticky thread in the General Discussion anymore. And they weren't very useful to begin with. It's understandable that a detailed fantasy like map is not easy to draw but the difference here is that it isn't even planned for PlaneShift at all.

It isn't unrealistic expecting to find a detailed map, for sale in major shops or at least in the main library, of eight levels of Yliakum, which have been populated for generations and charted by the first explorers. The maps don't have to contain every surprise along the way. Take a look at the Tolkien fantasy map for a good example. You can create an interesting map with labeled places that make people curious about visiting them, and you can mark "uncharted territory" spots at the same time.

A real time mini-map should not be frowned upon either but it seems to get the "devs" and some "regulars" riled up. At one point, even a GM asked for a mini-map and questioned the excuses for not having it. Here's an example:

http://hydlaa.com/smf/index.php?topic=17602.msg193464#msg193464

What's wrong with the map?

I think it's not at all OOC, because it is small. It's about the area that you could see by quickly turning your head left, then right. Zooming out a couple of hundred kilometers is far more unrealistic than being constantly aware of what buildings (not people) are around you. If it were connected to a mapping skill, with differing level of detail, I think it certainly would be something

But even that has fallen on deaf ears.

• MaulusMaulus Member Posts: 1

The intelligence and effort with which that first post was put together....scares me. I don't understand how you could possibly come up with all that from, what? Ten minutes of gameplay? Planeshift is an immersive MMORPG, and I would know, I've played it for two years, and still it holds me for hours on end...

Players are nice, and as others have said, if you don't look and act intellignet, you wont be treated as such. Mini-maps are unrealistic, and the aim of Planeshift is to simulate an alternate REALITY. That MS Paint map you saw (I have to admit it looks like MS paint to me xD) is the begginnngs of maps that are REALISTIC, not floating in the middle of the air. I urge you to try Planeshift again, be patient for the download and setup (yes its annoying) and play for a bit, and if you need a hand just look for me (Maulus Octir) and I'll point you in the right direction! ;-)

[Now, lets hope all that wasn't too jumbled :D]

• kouSalakouSala Member Posts: 1

I would just like to mention that this game is in pre-alpha stage. It is mentioned from the beginning right through to playing. I cannot understand someone posting a thread saying not to play the game because it's not good. Of course it's not fully finished. It's in pre-alpha! You cannot possibly make an assumption on a game that is not complete.

Of course I understand that everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I would not want to walk over anyone. But I think posting to say not to play the game purely because it's in pre-alpha stage? That is wrong.

The reason that the developers allow members to join and play is so that they can develop the game further. Allowing for greater and faster development. Yes, I agree that the game seems a bit 'stayed' at the moment, but that's only what we see from a 'gamers' point of view. I can assure everyone that there is a lot of work going on behind the scenes. It's not all about getting it to 'look' or 'feel' nice for the player. It's about ensuring the code works correctly.

I would suggest for anyone reading this thread to try the game yourselves and make your own opinion. Just remember that it is still in development. Do not compare it to other mmorpg's out there that are finished or nearly finished. That is just not fair.

• SkjaldSkjald Member Posts: 5

No, anyone who suggested a detailed regular map, a mini-map, a compass or anything that shows some kind of coordinates was/is frowned upon because the "devs" consider it to be a "spoiler" and that it "prevents exploration". Here's an example of someone asking for a "PS map" (they didn't mention a mini-map):

http://hydlaa.com/smf/index.php?topic=27452.0

I really need a planeshift map...

I truly admire your unsurpassed will to bestow the vast mmorpg community with sincere and completely unbiased opinions about Planeshift. I find this to be a truly honourable thing to do and I think many people should take an example of your brave actions.
    This having been said, I would be glad to hear some further explanations from our brave hero (namely you):
    The quote you provided (with antecedent link to the source) ends with an ellipsis, whereas it so happens that the original poster used a comma, followed by a text that should explain all the further posts. To provide a full quote:

I really need a planeshift map, does someone know a god webbpage with a map?
    Clearly, the poster meant an out-of-game map, which isn't the topic of this argument.
    Therefore, seeing how sincere you were already, I expect a sincere answer here as well. Why did you cut out part of the quote responsible for providing such an important thing as context of the post?
  • ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Skjald

I really need a planeshift map, does someone know a god webbpage with a map?
    Clearly, the poster meant an out-of-game map, which isn't the topic of this argument.

Therefore, seeing how sincere you were already, I expect a sincere answer here as well. Why did you cut out part of the quote responsible for providing such an important thing as context of the post?

And anyone can plainly see that the answer to the question would have been the same whether the question was "I really need a planeshift map........", or if it was extended to "I really need a planeshift map, does someone know a god webbpage with a map?". The response was that the only maps,  not "the only maps on a webpage", were in a stickied thread (which apparently no longer exists), and that a map is a spoiler and you have to make your own. Which has everything to do with what the posters argument was about, and I quote:

"No, anyone who suggested a detailed regular map, a mini-map, a compass or anything that shows some kind of coordinates was/is frowned upon because the "devs" consider it to be a "spoiler" and that it "prevents exploration". ".

I honestly can't believe that you actually made a complaint about the snipping of the title, when it didn't change the meaning or point of the post. Did you just need to find something to argue with there?

Originally posted by Zorvan
    I honestly can't believe that you actually made a complaint about the snipping of the title, when it didn't change the meaning or point of the post. Did you just need to find something to argue with there?

Jolly good then!
    If it didn't change the meaning of the post, then surely there will be absolutely nothing controversial about response of our dear hero to my obviously silly question.

Cheer up, pal! With no doubt Twinchaos will come here right away and tell us why he cut up the sentence, or why he didn't look up thread about actual ingame maps. I mean, surely there are thousands threads about ingame maps with exact same responses.
    After all, it might be something as trivial as our brave hero backspacing half of the sentence and putting in ellipsis all by mistake!

You should have a little bit more faith in other people, Zorvan. There's nothing to be protective about. I believe Twinchaos will have no problems with answering my tiny question.

• AeriannaKzinAeriannaKzin Member Posts: 9

Planeshift is an awsome MMORPG! Unlike many, others I have tired when Planeshift says role play it means it, its really great to be able to emburse your self into a compelte fanastay world and create your own charachter history and personality. The amount of actual roleplay in this game is just great! And sure there are bugs and server crashes, but that kinda livens the mood at times gives us things to laugh at and I know the Devs are very busy and they work very hard considering they volenteer all their time and resourses and art work and stuff. I think in the short time I have played the game (over a year)I have seen it come a long way. And the community is just wonderful! I have met many players that I consider to be great friends! In Planeshfit you can join or even create your own guild and make a website and expand in all sorts of ways. In any game you buy/download or whatever you will find people that say bad things and people that say good things as well, I say try it for you self and you will be pleasently suprized.

• pstruthpstruth Member Posts: 233

Making your own guild is actually very difficult now. You need to have a large amount of money, and you need to have five players join the guild within minutes of creation or the guild defaults and the money disapears. If your character isn't levelled (perhaps because you spend your time roleplaying instead of camping rats), you're at a major disadvantage.

I'll also add that even though a lot of the players value roleplay, not all of them are good at it. So the community does value roleplaying but rp is realized to different extents by different individuals.

As far as GMs go, if you haven't had bad experiences then that's great. However, do not make the mistake of thinking everyone's experiences are like your own.

Jolly good then!

If it didn't change the meaning of the post, then surely there will be absolutely nothing controversial about response of our dear hero to my obviously silly question.

Cheer up, pal! With no doubt Twinchaos will come here right away and tell us why he cut up the sentence, or why he didn't look up thread about actual ingame maps. I mean, surely there are thousands threads about ingame maps with exact same responses.

After all, it might be something as trivial as our brave hero backspacing half of the sentence and putting in ellipsis all by mistake!

You should have a little bit more faith in other people, Zorvan. There's nothing to be protective about. I believe Twinchaos will have no problems with answering my tiny question.

Give me a break. I was not being "protective" of anything or anyone. I simply pointed out that you were obviously looking for any reason you could find to argue with Twinchaos' post, and the complaint you latched onto was an invalid one. Some people consider that sort of behaviour "trolling".

• rishakirishaki Member Posts: 181

Originally posted by AeriannaKzin

Planeshift is an awsome MMORPG! Unlike many, others I have tired when Planeshift says role play it means it, its really great to be able to emburse your self into a compelte fanastay world and create your own charachter history and personality. The amount of actual roleplay in this game is just great! As far as the GM's go, I have not seen any corruption, in fact I know a few of the GM's player chars. and they are not superstrong or rich with tria (curency) I think the GM's in Planeshift do a really good job for what they have to work with and if you think about it GM's are like Cops, no one really likes them becaues they tell you what you can and can not do, and when they tell you you can't do something you get upset about it and go on a rant. I think if you just walked a few feet even in thier shoes you would learn to apprecate authourty a bit more. I personally have run into several instances in game where I needed a GM and they were very helpful to me, and I have even run into a few where I got told I was in the wrong, and the GM talked to me for quite a while taking time to help me better understand excatly why I was wrong, and not just saying "your wrong cause I said so,get over it" And sure there are bugs and server crashes, but that kinda livens the mood at times gives us things to laugh at and I know the Devs are very busy and they work very hard considering they volenteer all their time and resourses and art work and stuff. I think in the short time I have played the game I have seen it come a long way. And the community is just wonderful! I have met many players that I consider to be great friends! In Planeshfit you can join or even create your own guild and make a website and expand in all sorts of ways. In any game you buy/download or wha. tever you will find people that say bad things and people that say good things as well, I say try it for you self and you will be pleasently suprized.

Advertise post? This must be a GM, 1 post aswell!.

Gm are eviul, seems like you are trying to convince us that playing Planeshift is better than having sex 

• pstruthpstruth Member Posts: 233
    Originally posted by Tuxide

It is fun to pray to Laanx to have them struck down.

Hmm. I'm going to assume that it's consentual and good humored.

Originally posted by Tuxide

With no doubt Twinchaos will come here right away and tell us why he cut up the sentence, or why he didn't look up thread about actual ingame maps.

Don't even bother, Twinchaos and his "libre game" cabal buddies don't even read the other posts on this board. He has made this obvious in another thread; when they come here, all they are here to do is post whatever they made up in school one day with no regard for defending their comments.

I simply pointed out that...the complaint you latched onto was an invalid one.

Well, least some people here claim to still have this quality.

What you will find is that I have the advantage of looking at these various threads as an outsider and a regular of mmorpg.com as a whole. I don't play Planeshift, so I have no unreasonable desire to defend it. However, this also precludes me from having an unreasonable desire to bash it. I am about as neutral as one can get in this case.

In fact, if you look at the limited posts I have made in the PL threads, I do not attack OR praise the game . What I have done is basically said two things:

1.) There has been enough negative points posted to warrant caution for newcomers in regards to this game. This does not mean that the negativity was all true, partly true, or completely false. It simply warrants caution.

2.) Talad simply should not be the one to argue his games case in any forum. This does not mean to imply that he is an unfit or unsrupulous dev, it simply means that he lacks public relations skills. In some cases, he does more harm for his games image simply by his actions in posting ( such as, quite frankly, the childish re-writing of his previous replies ) than he would have simply not responding at all.

Just as with my replies to Skjald's posts, I merely commented from my point of being a reader and observing the posts that were made, not from my agreement or disagreement with the topic at hand.

Hope that clears up my standing in this, at least.

• boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540

LOL, ok, maybe you didnt get the help needed is because you were asking npc's? Sorry, i know thats probably a typo but picturing someone trying to have a conversation with an npc is kinda funny, may i ask, did the npc's talk back?

playing eq2 and two worlds

Give me a break. I was not being "protective" of anything or anyone. I simply pointed out that you were obviously looking for any reason you could find to argue with Twinchaos' post, and the complaint you latched onto was an invalid one. Some people consider that sort of behaviour "trolling".

Oh, trolling can be fun, yeah. The problem with doing it around here is that being a troll usually requires responding to reasonable posts. Not much of that from people I responded to.

I mean, seriously, look at this one:

And anyone can plainly see that the answer to the question would have been the same whether the question was "I really need a planeshift map........", or if it was extended to "I really need a planeshift map, does someone know a god webbpage with a map?". The response was that the only maps, not "the only maps on a webpage", were in a stickied thread (which apparently no longer exists), and that a map is a spoiler and you have to make your own. Which has everything to do with what the posters argument was about, and I quote:

"No, anyone who suggested a detailed regular map, a mini-map, a compass or anything that shows some kind of coordinates was/is frowned upon because the "devs" consider it to be a "spoiler" and that it "prevents exploration". ".

It's clearly obvious that the author of this post has no idea what he's talking about. First, the mentioned maps were concept art and by refering to it, the folks meant that there will be no "real" maps to be provide outside of game.

Regular map was never frowned upon and I knew it to be in plans for as long as I've been playing (playing on and off since May 2003). Minimaps, however, were always frowned upon, yes. Not because devs are some sick bastards who want all new players to find themselves lost, but because they want to give opportunity to people wishing to roleplay cartographers. How evil of them, isn't it? This thread has been dwelling the land of flawed logic and incorrect statements from its very beginning. You can't possibly troll in it.

I dare you to look up threads which frown upon ingame maps (not minimaps). If you know what you're talking about, you'll have no problems with that. But if you don't, well, let's just say in that case you're really in no position to call anyone a "troll". Sounds fair?