Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How's this sound for World pvp meaning something.

1. Friendly Fire
  2. Build your character to a pivotal point where you then choose your faction.  (if you don't you become hunted if you kill a player or NPC.  this hunted is like an outlaw/bandit  where cities will actually send Bounty hunters to come find you.  Depending on if your guild is a hunted type then you can easily fend them off with help.  Or you could outsmart them by clashing them with mobs where you make ur escape.  This hunted mechanism will have a counter thats make you a bigger threat the more players you kill of a particular faction.  Killing normal NPC's doesn't really factor that much.   But killing players and important NPC's count)
  • Depending on who you choose factional wise, you may help the overall diplomacy by doing things to build or break trust with other factions.
  • A kill counter for building that trust.  Say you pk a particular amount of another faction,  that in turn causes a War Raid started by NPC's fighting each other and you joining in. 
  • Whoever loses this battle  gets pushed back to their main city.  (outlying towns that used to belong to them are now their enemies and players become KOS by the NPC's in those townships)
  • To erase said kill counts you must make donations.  NPC's killed have their own kill counter.  To reach this "all out war " you must max both.

Could spark some interesting gameplay.  Sort of a hyper version of Guild Wars factions but more of a fit for a true MMO with a persistent world.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• letum6030letum6030 Member Posts: 206

Sounds like it might work.  How about adding in perma-death for important NPC's.  These NPC's, while alive, give the faction to which they belong bonuses.  When the NPC is killed, the players of that faction lose the bonus.  However, they can build a new NPC to replace the old one, but it has to be "leveled" in some way.  It would take time for the NPC to reach the strength of the previous NPC, all the while the opposing faction NPC is gaining more power.

• vajurasvajuras Member Posts: 2,860

excellent ideas bro it never ceases to amaze me how great ideas like these are- yet we're stuck with yet more EQ-inspired clones one after the other. worthy ideas

• SuitepeeSuitepee Member Posts: 921

Idea 1 is being implemented in Darkfall.

Idea 2 sounds interesting. (it might also be in Darkfall)

• Wow4LiferWow4Lifer Member Posts: 255

Yeah can't wait till darkfall comes out thats my number one most anticipated mmorpg.  If it does come out it will blow aoc and war out of the water in every aspect and faculty of the genre.  My opinion please don't flame.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by Suitepee

That game will never be released. It's kind of like the Duke Nukem of MMORPGs.

• Sovren1Sovren1 Member Posts: 312

I too am waiting for Darkfall, but sadly have to keep in mind it may never see fruition.
    One thing throws me off about it though, I really don't play these games in first person.

When I first read of it they stated that it would be in the first person. But now when I look at the site...it reads something to the effect that they don't know how they want their camera and more on the subject soon.

Other than that it sounds like a fantastic game. Definitely more intriguing than WoW which I am now playing. Don't get me wrong, I like wow. I liked many of the MMO's out there. My friends just happen to be playing which makes it a blast.

The Idea about perma death on the important NPC's sounds great. He/she gets his successor. Maybe even with new abilities to keep that sort of thing fresh.

I can't stress enough about how much I would like the NPC's in the game to actually live a life of some sort. Do their own wars or raids. Something. I know Tabula Rasa is having the Bane attack randomly or something like that. This type of thing can only push forward and enhance a game and the world in it.

Originally posted by heartless

I hope this is not true has our blind desire blinded our logic?  

edit- btw I think they are still working on Duke - 3d realms was hiring coders for it lol not too long ago.

Seems that war is gonna have something like a campaign battle where you push back and are actually able to sack a capital city. hmmm?

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I just don't think the underlying network technology is in place in the US and most of Europe to allow for massive, open world PVP. we're running on a 30+ year old infrastructure in the US.

they have 10-15 times the average network speed in some parts of Asia, so they might have what they need but we in the US have to wait till the internet part 2, a completely new and modern infrastructure, which may never happen.

the PCs / consoles are getting to the point they could/can handle it, but our 4-5mb average network connections aren't NEARLY enough.

• LeJohnLeJohn Member Posts: 313

Originally posted by vajuras

edit- btw I think they are still working on Duke - 3d realms was hiring coders for it lol not too long ago.

DNF is one of the games I check on about ever 2 years, yes they actully broke the WID and posted 3 screens (kinda). 

The only question I would have about darkfall is the same I have for DNF,  When it is released will it be so old and dated that we will have seen it all before?  IMHO, HL2 was DNF without the signature wisecracks but but with the playstyle (look and feel). 

What have I missed on DF, that is what unique thing will it have that an existing or too be released this year does not have? I am not talking grouped items but what single item?

Or is it that as a grouped package that will make DF stand out? 

Originally posted by LeJohn

DNF is one of the games I check on about ever 2 years, yes they actully broke the WID and posted 3 screens (kinda). 

The only question I would have about darkfall is the same I have for DNF,  When it is released will it be so old and dated that we will have seen it all before?  IMHO, HL2 was DNF without the signature wisecracks but but with the playstyle (look and feel). 

What have I missed on DF, that is what unique thing will it have that an existing or too be released this year does not have? I am not talking grouped items but what single item?

Or is it that as a grouped package that will make DF stand out? 

I think it was the full package that made DF standout if I understand your question (I hope I did I reread it a few times).

It presented FPS (aim/dodge realtime) + Skill based progression + full blown sandbox elements (own land) + alignment + FFA PVP (it doesnt have to be full 100% open PVP for me - I jsut like FFA aka like EVE has) + 100% player crafting

EVE has some of this but it lacks realtime dodging. So I was playing EVE. But EVE is that time based progression as you know. I was keen on DF because I can grind up my skills itself. so I was hoping it would be fairly fast (guess maybe im being naive there).

Basically Darkfall = Elder Scrolls Oblivion but taken to multiplayer

edit- split post to nother reply

• dirtyjoe78dirtyjoe78 Member Posts: 400
    Originally posted by heerobya

I just don't think the underlying network technology is in place in the US and most of Europe to allow for massive, open world PVP. we're running on a 30+ year old infrastructure in the US.
    they have 10-15 times the average network speed in some parts of Asia, so they might have what they need but we in the US have to wait till the internet part 2, a completely new and modern infrastructure, which may never happen.
    the PCs / consoles are getting to the point they could/can handle it, but our 4-5mb average network connections aren't NEARLY enough.

True but the US has more unused fiber in the ground than anyone for some unknown reason they don't use it, we pay 4 times what europe pays for a quarter of the bandwidth yet the infrastructure is there it just sits unused  because the current telcoms can gouge us for minimal bandwidth.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

well, old UO would fly now because we used to play on Dial up.

it's not the network speed coming out of the servers that matters for how many players you can stuff on screen at once, it's the end user speed

4-5mb net connection with maybe 700-800kb upload is simply NOT fast enough to handle that kind of scale.

i'd agree that 30 vs 30 or 50 vs 50 pvp is pretty epic in scale in comparison to what we are used to, but any WoW player knows what happens when you get 200+ players on screen fighting each other in open world PVP, server crash.

and you CAN'T EVEN TRY to argue that Blizzard, BLIZZARD isn't running the latest and greatest, most well made and run servers/client out there.

You may not like WoW, but no one can argue that Blizzard is slacking on their server side hardware or the stability of the client

Anywho.. back to original topic...

I hope games like Darkfall come out and give ya'll FFA hardcore PVP types something that you really, really enjoy and think is the best game ever... but notice when and how the MMO industry boomed into the size and scope it is today. When WoW came out. That is proof positive that "most" MMO players are more comfortable with that "style"

It's not a good thing or a bad thing, but don't expect too much support for FFA hardcore PVP with item loot harsh death penalties etc

or just go read my blogs on PVP and see what I feel is a great "compromise" 

100 vs 100 I believe is what they are tersting. Huxley is also shooting for 100 vs 100 max and its in beta right now. why would you want a whole ton of people more then 100? At that point, if they are all on ventrillo and they call a target you gonna get spiked before you can even click a button or even think. There is no warning- we're talking insta-death.

In FPS games this usually not an issue because everyone tends to spread out, hide, etc. Since DF will also have dodge/aim like FPS games then you wont see hundreds of noobs running out in the open getting spiked in a few seconds like you see in all these other cookie cutter MMOs

I expect to see depth and strategy in DarkFall / Huxley like I see in FPS games. Because they both will integrate dodge/aim (realtime player skill)

well, old UO would fly now because we used to play on Dial up.
    it's not the network speed coming out of the servers that matters for how many players you can stuff on screen at once, it's the end user speed
    4-5mb net connection with maybe 700-800kb upload is simply NOT fast enough to handle that kind of scale.
    i'd agree that 30 vs 30 or 50 vs 50 pvp is pretty epic in scale in comparison to what we are used to, but any WoW player knows what happens when you get 200+ players on screen fighting each other in open world PVP, server crash.
    and you CAN'T EVEN TRY to argue that Blizzard, BLIZZARD isn't running the latest and greatest, most well made and run servers/client out there.
    You may not like WoW, but no one can argue that Blizzard is slacking on their server side hardware or the stability of the client
    Anywho.. back to original topic...
    I hope games like Darkfall come out and give ya'll FFA hardcore PVP types something that you really, really enjoy and think is the best game ever... but notice when and how the MMO industry boomed into the size and scope it is today. When WoW came out. That is proof positive that "most" MMO players are more comfortable with that "style"
    It's not a good thing or a bad thing, but don't expect too much support for FFA hardcore PVP with item loot harsh death penalties etc
    or just go read my blogs on PVP and see what I feel is a great "compromise" 

you dont know what a harsh death penalty is if you think player looting is harsh. It's not. I can store multiple backup pieces in my bank.

Hardcore = permadeath. That is harsh. Everything is just a death penalty period. Lose your toon on a PD server and see what you will be upset bout. It wont be about a few little trinkets haha

Originally posted by Sovren1

Seems that war is gonna have something like a campaign battle where you push back and are actually able to sack a capital city. hmmm?

WAR will be interesting sure. It has its merits- good graphics, PVP advancement, PVP quests, public quest system, etc. It should be good for what it is

But it wont have player skill. Not the type of player skill you have in games where you can dodge/aim. WAR - your life will depend on a dice roll. The server decides whether you live or die. Whether you dodge that bolt or not. Literally, you can have 5% life left and if the dice rolls not in your favor you take a dirt nap

Zergs - FPS games we dont have this. vets dont stand out in the open. We spread out in FPS games due to friendly fire from grenades and due to enemy grenades.

Spikes - doesnt happen in FPS games. In guild wars my guild spiked noobs to death. We called our targets and spiked'em. In all MMO it is this way. In FPS games noobs run out in the open and die to snipers. Vets tip toe around, listen, and spot snipers. Slower, more player skill

WAR will be good but your player skill will take a noce dive

Originally posted by Sovren1 Seems that war is gonna have something like a campaign battle where you push back and are actually able to sack a capital city. hmmm?

WAR will be interesting sure. It has its merits- good graphics, PVP advancement, PVP quests, public quest system, etc. It should be good for what it is

But it wont have player skill. Not the type of player skill you have in games where you can dodge/aim. WAR - your life will depend on a dice roll. The server decides whether you live or die. Whether you dodge that bolt or not. Literally, you can have 5% life left and if the dice rolls not in your favor you take a dirt nap
    Zergs - FPS games we dont have this. vets dont stand out in the open. We spread out in FPS games due to friendly fire from grenades and due to enemy grenades.
    Spikes - doesnt happen in FPS games. In guild wars my guild spiked noobs to death. We called our targets and spiked'em. In all MMO it is this way. In FPS games noobs run out in the open and die to snipers. Vets tip toe around, listen, and spot snipers. Slower, more player skill
    WAR will be good but your player skill will take a noce dive

I agree with what you say about actual player skill and hidden dice rolls (thing about dice rolls tho is that it adds to balance where as being a great twitcher will definitely put you in a certain class of skill). But From my personal perspective, I'm not really comfortable playing MMO's in the first person. Not saying that games like that can't be good or popular. Planet-side was a good game. Huxley should be good too. I just think that if I want FPS, I can play it for FREE....which is exactly why I stopped playing planet-side rather quickly.

I want to be able to see my armor in an epic world, see my toys also. Actually see my fancy skills pummel my opponent not just have my skills pummel my opponent.

I view my game playing in mmo worlds like I'm watching a movie. It's happening before me. Not me happening before me. First person tends to put me in the shoes of the character, where that's not really what I'm looking for. I kinda like being detached while peeking in on this fantastical universe.

I just want World pvp to mean something to the world that it's in. Not here to discuss player skill vs w/e else. I want the world to be alive and it doing it's own thing.

Now...with that said, If there were a persistent FPS where it was free, total war, questing is nil....you would see me there in a heartbeat. Like BF2142. Character customization.....but the whole game is war. Npc's are at war. Objectives to help sack a town but questing is a no no.