Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fury: Dev Chat Log

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

On September 18th, MMORPG.com hosted a developer chat with the guys from Auran Games and their upcoming PvP MMORPG, Fury.

MMORPG.com:

Greetings and welcome to MMORPG.com's Live Chat on irc.forthegamers.org! I'm your host, MMORPG.com's community manager Laura "Taera" Genender. Joining us today is the Fury team!

MMORPG.com:

Our guests will do their best to answer as many questions as possible, but due to limited time and a high volume of inquiries, they may not be able to answer every single one. Users are limited to one question at a time, and you will be notified if your question is rejected or discarded.

MMORPG.com:

Now it's time for introductions! Feel free to start sending your questions to DevBot while our guests introduce themselves!

Read the whole chat log here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• DaeclaDaecla Member Posts: 6

Not a single question about charge manipulation guys? C'mon, if I wasn't working I would have been there, but seriously nobody asked any game breaking questions. Shame...oh and FIRST!!!

My pain is constant and sharp and I do not hope for a better world for anyone, in fact I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to escape, but even after admitting this there is no catharsis, my punishment continues to elude me and I gain no deeper knowledge of myself; no new knowledge can be extracted from my telling. This confession has meant nothing

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

This part just cracks me up:

Guest4224 :asks: the question of overpowered was directed at the fact that if you silence a caster they cant do anything not even enter dstance, however if you subdue a melee they Can enter dstance and wait it out or clear it.

Vortal:

*pokes Cam to answer*

Cameron McNeil:

Ya I realise that but I disagree that "casters can't do anything". They can take any physical attack they want or break hold effects. Also if your enemy has to wait to use the silence or risk having you enter d-stance. Melee can be disarmed right away with no thought of the effects on d-stance. Like I said before we will be paying close attention to the how things play out but remember that you'll....

Cameron is Melee all the way. This mentality ^ is why I get the impression the game will never be balanced.

• Ammon777Ammon777 Member Posts: 308

Thanks for the chat log!

• Dan_GrayDan_Gray Member Posts: 74

Originally posted by Rabenwolf

Cameron is Melee all the way. This mentality ^ is why I get the impression the game will never be balanced.

Come on, it's pretty ludicrous to suggest that a designer would intentionally screw the balance of his own game by being biased to a certain play style.

He raises a good point that I honestly don't think players have got to grips with; there are no casters or melee 'classes'. Even if you take a focus over a melee weapon you can still use melee attacks. It's a tough adjustment to make from the usual rigid class structures of other MMOs, but an important one.

Originally posted by Dan_Gray

Come on, it's pretty ludicrous to suggest that a designer would intentionally screw the balance of his own game by being biased to a certain play style.

He raises a good point that I honestly don't think players have got to grips with; there are no casters or melee 'classes'. Even if you take a focus over a melee weapon you can still use melee attacks. It's a tough adjustment to make from the usual rigid class structures of other MMOs, but an important one.

Actions speak louder than words. In this case, the user did bring up a problem with balance, and the response was "well i dissagree, its perfectly fine for any caster focused player to have no def stance".

Lets face it, have you looked at the skills? I tried the caster melee approach. Doesnt work very well in the game... wanna know why? because skills only work if you either have a weapon, focus, or  type of weapon and focus. Meaning, as a player you really dont have all the options they want to make you believe you have.

Secondly, in Fury it is apparent you HAVE to be a specialized class in order to really have a chance. Lets face it, it is a pvp tournament style game, and there is no room for the jack of all trades approach. You have to specialize if you want a chance at competing. You either go full caster or full melee. Does this make sense? Again it comes back to the idea of balance. The game isnt pve, its pure pvp, and in order to win, you have to go with the winning combos. This causes users to flock to that type of specialization, i hope the devs see this early instead of when its too late.

• Dan_GrayDan_Gray Member Posts: 74

Actions speak louder than words. In this case, the user did bring up a problem with balance, and the response was "well i dissagree, its perfectly fine for any caster focused player to have no def stance".
    Lets face it, have you looked at the skills? I tried the caster melee approach. Doesnt work very well in the game... wanna know why? because skills only work if you either have a weapon, focus, or  type of weapon and focus. Meaning, as a player you really dont have all the options they want to make you believe you have.
    Secondly, in Fury it is apparent you HAVE to be a specialized class in order to really have a chance. Lets face it, it is a pvp tournament style game, and there is no room for the jack of all trades approach. You have to specialize if you want a chance at competing. You either go full caster or full melee. Does this make sense? Again it comes back to the idea of balance. The game isnt pve, its pure pvp, and in order to win, you have to go with the winning combos. This causes users to flock to that type of specialization, i hope the devs see this early instead of when its too late.

Firstly, if you read the latest balance changes thread, you would know that Cam has in fact taken feedback on that decision, and hold effects such as silence will no longer effect using defensive stances.

Secondly, yes, some abilities have different weapon requirements, but anyone can take multiple weapon sets.

Thirdly, you make a pretty broad statement on 'what competitive players must do' for someone who really hasn't given the game much of a chance. I know a lot of the more experienced testers who would strongly disagree with you.  

Originally posted by Dan_Gray

Firstly, if you read the latest balance changes thread, you would know that Cam has in fact taken feedback on that decision, and hold effects such as silence will no longer effect using defensive stances.

Secondly, yes, some abilities have different weapon requirements, but anyone can take multiple weapon sets.

Thirdly, you make a pretty broad statement on 'what competitive players must do' for someone who really hasn't given the game much of a chance. I know a lot of the more experienced testers who would strongly disagree with you.  

Dont get me wrong, i think you are assuming i have some bias  against fury as a product. I dont, I hope it will succeed and I did enjoy playing some of it. In fact, I have played more of it than i think  you give me credit for.

I am being cold and logical in this case. you are in defensive mode and all I am doing is addressing some of the major issues with this game. It is called feedback. As you can see in the chat log, it did not appear that Cam took that feed back at all, so if he has decided to finally take it in, then good. Developers are put in a tough position because they cant be expected to cater to the player bases wants and needs but at the same time they have to, especially in online games, also understand and accept that players often see the product a bit differently. Its a balance between "gripping" too hard and not hard enough.

I will say it right now, the game is not balanced, and YOU agreed. Balance in a pvp match game with ladders and tournaments is a huge huge problem. There is no PvE to distract players. Its all pvp, and when that happens, Balance is the most most most important thing to deal with. The nice thing is that players will never really be stuck with any one build, but at the moment, again a few select builds are what are used to compete at the highest level. Many skills become useless and specialization becomes a nessesity. That is why mixing melee and caster types is just not completely viable. Just because the options are there, does not make them worth using.

One problem i noticed in your defensiveness is that you assume i have not given this game a chance and already put it under the rug so to speak. You accuse me of broad statements, yet isnt that making a broad assumption as well... players... gamers sometimes hold grudges, which is illogical. I do not, I understand that the nature of online games is inconsistant at best. They WILL change, just as I expect Fury to change and grow... they have no choice because that is how you keep players interested.

You might have noticed our conversation is about the NOW, the present however, and though hearing statements about Cam disagreeing that there was a problem gives the impression for a bleak future. If he did indeed remedy that problem, then perhaps it is a good sign, perhaps him as a developer is also learning as he goes along.  I was talking about the Now however, and if the game balances out... great, if not then thats a shame.  Still, there is no point in the fury challenge if balance does not exist, thus I am out of it in the interim.

Feel free to agree or disagree with my points and statements, but please refrain from making generalization about myself as a gamer and the supposed "chances" i give a game.