Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Razer Tarantula Review

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Hardware Guru Jeremy Star takes a look at the Razer Tarantula gaming keyboard for our finger-tapping education!

The Razer Tarantula is a USB keyboard. It features Anti-Ghosting technology, allowing for up to 10 keystrokes at a time without signal failure; Onboard profile memory, so that you can use the keyboard on any PC and still have access to your setup; 1000Mhz Ultrapolling, for a maximum 1ms delay between keystroke and reaction; and On-The-Fly-Profile switching.

The Tarantula also has two low power USB ports for plugging in additional peripherals, gold plated USB connectors for fast transfer speeds and making rap stars jealous, and headphone and microphone jacks so you don't have to reach behind your PC for sound card connections anymore. You will also find 10 programmable keys as well as the ability to switch keys with special gaming keys that have little gaming pictures on them, and the Battledock for add on accessories.

Read the whole article here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• Agent_X7Agent_X7 Staff WriterMember, Newbie CommonPosts: 515

Er...Ignore "Large Mousing Surface" under pros. That sneaky little phrase is trying to make its way in to all of my reviews, even after I told it no.

Agent_X7 AKA J Star
    [/URL]image
    Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com or its management.

• LouiseKLouiseK Member Posts: 258

I think i'm going to be holding out for the new Logitech one still, plus Razer in general sucks :P

• RonnyRulzRonnyRulz Member Posts: 479

After using the G15 keyboard, I realized how useless "Gaming" keyboards are for gaming.

At least for teh G15, whose macro keys are on the left side of the keyboard, without a good alternative WASD addition.

When playing games, I use WASD movement. The G1-G18 keys have to be hit with a stretched pinky. No thanks!

BUT, I must say that in DAoC, as a lvl 50 thrust-weapon Mercenary, the G15 ruled. I was able to macro my styles to where with one button I equip a crush weapon, use the crush ability, press anoter button to use the second-crush ability, and use a third button to then turn a specific degree to the side of them, equip my thrust weapons, and perform my side-thrust attack.

This allowed me to do MANY actions in only three buttons. I would have used only ONE button, but the G15 doesn't allow you to cancel Macros after they've started.......how pathetic.

For my bard, I was also able to have all of my abilities on the G15's macro keyboarsd, with G8,10-12 as WASD movement (although because the keys are smaller than normal, it sucked and felt awkward).

For DAoC, I loved the G15, and thus would love the Tarantula since it's practically the same thing.

In WoW and other MMO's for PvP, the macros would be worth it since the game doesn't let you macro in-game. So in WoW I was able to use the "Gaming Keyboard" (Razer or Logitech, doesn't matter which) to use my warrior's CHARGE skill, then STUN instantly afterwards with one button, perfectly timed for 100% efficiency.

Other than an MMO, the keyboard isn't anything special for non-MMO gaming.....not even close....

BUT, what I will say is that I will never again buy a keyboard that isn't backlit in all the keys. That in itself is worth the hefty price, although I'm sure there are CHEAPER backlit keyboards.

Sadly, this keyboard doesn't even do that for $100........how pathetic.

I completely agree with the reviewer. Logitech and Razer both make "Gaming" keyboards that don't help with gaming. I don't understand why they call them "Gaming" keyboards, they suck and are too expensive. In an MMO, a macro-keyboard is worth it for PvP. DAoC's special moves or "Fireball quickcast Fireball" in one button, WoW's warrior charge-then stun in one button, etc. etc.

I'm pretty sure they have macro-software that allows you to do the similar as the "Gaming" keyboards, although that might get you banned and a G15 and Razer Tarantula WON'T.

• RonnyRulzRonnyRulz Member Posts: 479

After reading my own review of the keyboard, I actually have to disagree with the Reviewer.

This is a website about MMO's. The "Gaming Keyboards" feature the ability to macro abilities, timings, movements, and anything else with only one button. In a MMO with PvP, or even PvE, this is invaluable for a gamer, making the Gaming Keyboard the best keyboard ever.

For both the Razer Tarantula and the Logitech G15, for MMO's like DAoC, WoW, and other similar MMO's, ESPECIALLY in PVP, I give the keyboards 10/10.

For any other genre, or for MMO's that aren't so ability-timing-ability no-macro intensive, I'd have to give this keyboard a low score and bad review. It's hardly a gaming keyboard for any other genre.

Bwahahahhaa! With one button I equiped a different weapon, used two different skills, moved to your side, equiped my primary weapon type, then perforated your sides, leaving you crying home to the Grave.....with only ONE button!

Bwahahahaha!The Power of a Crush/Thrust Mercenary with a g15 keyboard!.

• nakumanakuma Member UncommonPosts: 1,310

Originally posted by RonnyRulz

After using the G15 keyboard, I realized how useless "Gaming" keyboards are for gaming.

At least for teh G15, whose macro keys are on the left side of the keyboard, without a good alternative WASD addition.

When playing games, I use WASD movement. The G1-G18 keys have to be hit with a stretched pinky. No thanks!
    BUT, I must say that in DAoC, as a lvl 50 thrust-weapon Mercenary, the G15 ruled. I was able to macro my styles to where with one button I equip a crush weapon, use the crush ability, press anoter button to use the second-crush ability, and use a third button to then turn a specific degree to the side of them, equip my thrust weapons, and perform my side-thrust attack.
    This allowed me to do MANY actions in only three buttons. I would have used only ONE button, but the G15 doesn't allow you to cancel Macros after they've started.......how pathetic.

For my bard, I was also able to have all of my abilities on the G15's macro keyboarsd, with G8,10-12 as WASD movement (although because the keys are smaller than normal, it sucked and felt awkward).

For DAoC, I loved the G15, and thus would love the Tarantula since it's practically the same thing.
    In WoW and other MMO's for PvP, the macros would be worth it since the game doesn't let you macro in-game. So in WoW I was able to use the "Gaming Keyboard" (Razer or Logitech, doesn't matter which) to use my warrior's CHARGE skill, then STUN instantly afterwards with one button, perfectly timed for 100% efficiency.
    Other than an MMO, the keyboard isn't anything special for non-MMO gaming.....not even close....

BUT, what I will say is that I will never again buy a keyboard that isn't backlit in all the keys. That in itself is worth the hefty price, although I'm sure there are CHEAPER backlit keyboards.
    Sadly, this keyboard doesn't even do that for $100........how pathetic.
    I completely agree with the reviewer. Logitech and Razer both make "Gaming" keyboards that don't help with gaming. I don't understand why they call them "Gaming" keyboards, they suck and are too expensive. In an MMO, a macro-keyboard is worth it for PvP. DAoC's special moves or "Fireball quickcast Fireball" in one button, WoW's warrior charge-then stun in one button, etc. etc.
    I'm pretty sure they have macro-software that allows you to do the similar as the "Gaming" keyboards, although that might get you banned and a G15 and Razer Tarantula WON'T.
    I would tend to agree with u, i felt i had to stretch out my pinky or hit it fast or know instantly which button did which. but for MMOs of WOW which i played i found the macros useful but just barely. i was just as easy to hit the 1-0 keys or shift 1-0 than i would hit macros but i did it insuch a way i could use my mouse to run and turn and press the macros when needed. but i like urself Im disillusioned with so called "gaming keyboards" the LCD is practically useless to me if i have to look down to a small key when i can just look up at the screen itself. with LOTRO the use of macros we4rent bad , it was easy just like WoW to implement but once again it was all very unintuitive as the macro keys are all off to the side

being WASD oriented u had to change or adjust your way of playing (such as using mouse to turn and run) and implement the G keys for your spells, fear, and death or word of pain and healing etc. i wont be getting another keyboard only one i think id might get is the zboard as it is specifically built for games whether they are MMO's or Singe player games (though it looks it has a preference to FPS type style game but it is defnitely an improvement over the G15 and this crap tarantuala trying to claim itself a gaming keyboard that is certainly overpriced for its given features. truly a shame as Ive had razer in good light, not now this is a definite blackeye on their image. hope they can recoupe and bring a cheaper and more feature filled keyboard.

3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.

• boingedboinged Member UncommonPosts: 161

If they backlit all the keys, I'd buy to try the laptop key action. Happily using a Saitek Eclipse currently, with no macros but a solid base and very nice backlighting.

• Azeroth04Azeroth04 Member Posts: 215

Great review. Very informative and entertaining as well.

• soltysplsoltyspl Member UncommonPosts: 58

I can't understand, and probably never will, why all the makers of keyboards perform more and more ridiculousy with altering insert - page down block above cursor keys. Or putting poweroff/sleep/etc. in place of print screen / scroll lock / pause. Why would anyone need power off on keyboard anyway ?

I'll take ancient at keyboard with big din and pass through any day over current "gaming" and "modern" keyboards. At least I have no useless win keys to remove, no games with - one would think - standard keys placement, or games with backslash key.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DStuff

• studuptotstuduptot Member Posts: 7

I own the keyboard, and I don't have any problems with it. the macros are very helpful but yes all the keys aren't backlit but i never play in pitch black so it dosen't bother me. But the keyboard isn't worth the 100$ price tag but I cant do anything about it now lol

• AserheAserhe Member UncommonPosts: 38

Razer makes really great stuff, i started using Razer's hardware back when the Boomslang was new, i think back in...'99 2000 somewhere? I've always got a good experience and felt like i've had a bigger e-peen than other gamers using their products. Logitech and Microsoft is office and home stuff for your mom, Razer makes stuff for you as a gamer.

Although if I had the choice between a Tarantula and a Zboard, I'd actually break the pattern and pick the Zboard due to cheaper in price and the ability to switch keysets. The macro feature (that's been included in my Diamondback, that I'm still using to this day) is excellent, if the game doesn't have a feature for whatever practical use you see fit, you make the feature.

I am:

Aserhe - Twi'lek - Scylla Galaxy (swg) [canceled]
    Exar - Dark Elf - Lucan D'lere (eq2) [canceled]
    Narlash - Night Elf - Emerald Dream (wow) [Active]

• ShealladhShealladh Member UncommonPosts: 90

I bought this keyboard not long ago and I love it except for the following features/oversights by Razer;

1: USB is only version 1.1, so usless to me because I use v2 on everything.  I was hoping to plug my Copperhead into this socket but looks like they were not thinking properly when they used out of date plugs! If I had known this I would not have bought this keyboard until it was v2.

2: No backlighting on all keys

3: Key layout is messed up with Home, End, Page Up/Down, etc., these should have been the older layout. I also like a bigger 'Return/Enter' key. Also missing is the light for the CAPS LOCK to see when it's on.

4: The Headphone and Microphone plugs should allow for full surround sound extensions, maybe they could have made in one big extender for the audio outs, all up becomes redundand with my X-Fi system. Furthermore the plugs for these should have been on the front or side so you don't have the cords running over the keyboard, arkward no matter how you position them and the cords always catch on the tray.

5: Battledock is pointless for me because I cannot fit anything in the keyboard tray of my desk. I would liked to have seen the expansion lights fit under there although they'd have to be flat and under 2cm maximum.

6: The volume control should be adjustable so that you are not trying to hold and release at the volume you want. You should be able to click once and the volume goes up one notch, ie. click five times for 5 points of volume.

7: The handrest should have the gel on it just like their eXactMat

On the possitve side, I do like the feel of the keys and so sensitive, I love it and is the best keyboard I have found so far. Every other keyboard out there has inferior functions or design flaws without being as nice.

There is no keyboard that has the above features all in one, yet if my gripes where placed on this board in the future then I would buy one for all my friends this christmas.

• Zorky80Zorky80 Member Posts: 4

This keyboard has everything. Usb, headphones anc microphone jacks, looks-pro, and the most important: lower keys for a better typing. The only bad thing is the price.

• GoplyGoply Member Posts: 48

I have this keyboard and I personally think its great, I would give it a 10/10.

Problems with dust, maybe the reviewer should try cleaning his house instead of just his keyboard...

A lot of money sure, but this keyboard is stable you could probably throw it against a wall and it wouldn't be fazed at all.

Not enough back lighting, well it is a keyboard, I personally think there is just enough to back it look sharp, I wouldn't want my eyes being distracted by my keyboard while playing in the dark ether but maybe that's just me.

No Accessories, well it is a keyboard not a car lol and there isn't much more that needs to be added to it after market imo so...

Not many gaming features, what would you like the keyboard to play the game for you as well???

I go with razer because they are not a massive corporation also, F logitech, walmart and other big corporations that destroy, unless you don't care about economics your city or country or maybe even freedom in general, but that's another topic and maybe just my opionin...

"Sticking with what works doesn't make good games, it remakes them, I quit playing that a while ago.
    After all, no artist got anywhere from repainting the Mona Lisa as a black women in a white dress...

It's about the paintin man, it's about the paintin..." -Goply

• cheebacheeba Member UncommonPosts: 196

I had been watching this keyboard for a long time.  But since I had a G15 already, spending another $100 didn't sound that nice.  So I finally decided to spend the $79 at circuit city last month.  And man do I not regret that purchase.  The keys are super responsive with no ghosting.  I notice the improvements in every game type.  The macros are perfect for MMOs.  Much better than the G15 imho.  And I have no problems with there location.  As for the rest of the layout its not perfect.  But what other keyboard gives you this much functionality?

On the backlight argument.  Who cares about a backlight.  I want a gaming keyboard that functions.  Not another nonfunctional laser showpiece.  But on that note it does look sick next to my Razer DeathAdder and Logitech MX1000 mice.  Cant wait for Razer to release the new Lachesis and the Boomslang Collector's Edition mice.  Tuff choice there.

---------------
    Tested over a 115+ games since 1997.

Currently Playing:

Played(Retired): AOL NWN(91-95), UO, EQ1/2, DAoC, CoX, Lineage1/2, SWG(Pre CU/NGE), Planetside, Anarchy Online, FFXI, AC, Vanguard, D&D, AoC, DCUO, Rift, Eve, others

• SweedeSweede Member UncommonPosts: 209

I used the G15 for a while and it was nice and all but it was the first ever keyboard i had that the symbol on the keys where worn off, my left alt key was more or less blank, the function keys also made the entire "regular" keyboard bit shifted to the right so i often ended up hitting the wrong key.

Currently i use the microsoft natural 4000 keyboard, like it a lot since i do a lot of gaming but also programming, hacking xml and such.

• Agent_X7Agent_X7 Staff WriterMember, Newbie CommonPosts: 515

It appears Razer has released the BattleLight accessory for this keyboard.

http://www.razerzone.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_15&products_id=73

Agent_X7 AKA J Star
    [/URL]image
    Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com or its management.