Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What holiday event is your favorite in Guild Wars?

Shaggy67Shaggy67 Member Posts: 76

Since I had a question about holiday events in Guild Wars.  I was just wondering what was everyones favorite event in Guild Wars? Vote for your favorite holiday event  below and any comments are welcome too.

Comments

• Shaggy67Shaggy67 Member Posts: 76

Thanks for your reply Ellandra,

Halloween sounds like it will be really good.I haven't seen any of the events except for some screenshots. I am eagerly awaiting to join in the fun on my first chance to play in a holiday event. Which by the way, just happens to be the Halloween event coming up. I really like Halloween and from the screenshots on GW home page It looks like a lot of fun.

Don't be shy go ahead and participate in the poll! I am a new player and was just wondering which events were the best.  I just wanted to hear what real players had to say about the events in GW. Please vote all you have to do is click and all comments are welcome too.

Thank you for viewing this thread!

• AetaryaAetarya Member Posts: 24

Wintersday! (labeled as christmas)

The first wintersday back in 2005 was great. They introduced the snowball arena which was and is still fun. AND they had exploding gifts! Along with having little extras to do in town such as the Grenth vs Dwayna competitons which got you new hats in the end. The 2006 version was fun too, but kinda the same thing except it had a little more to do, a few more items, and no more exploding gifts.

you also missed two of the other big holiday events! 

(which i guess would go into 'other', but should have their own place since smaller holidays like Easter and St.Patrick's day do)

Dragon Festival and Day of the Tengu... although i don't believe they'll ever re-do the Day of the Tengu event

In terms of more current fun holiday events, I would probably go with Dragon/Boardwalk Festivals since they have more to do, like a little carnival area called Shing Jea Boardwalk, a dragon arena, a rollerbeetle racing, and several hardcore missions. 

But I'll always be a fan of Wintersday, just cuz

and i think they call the Chinese New Year event, Canthan New Year.................. sry, just getting into the spirit of gw....

o, and welcome to gw! 

• NegatudeNegatude Member Posts: 1

yay

Thanks for replying Aetarya,

The first wintersday sounded lke fun and the snowball fight would be awesome. But now that you mention it ,I do recall seeing something about a festival on the home page.I only have prophecies and it seems like the boardwalk one was on factions. I have another thread that asked if all of the events was on factions. I had checked the upcoming events on the home page and only saw the chinese new year and boardwalk events. I now know that assumption was made due to bad timing.Imagine that ,check on upcoming events and I happen to find two events that can only be accessed on factions.Now I know why other players are going or  behind my back. Leave it to me to have perfect timing. I just seem to be born lucky! LoL 

When I set up the poll it didn't occur to me that there were festivals too.Somehow I just knew I was leaving something out when I made the poll and at least I made a space for other in the poll.

The dragon boardwalk event sounds like fun too.The carnival and rollerbeetle racing sound good. I'd like to just see the rollerbeetle racing, somehow when I try to imagine it in my head all I can come up with is . LOL 

Don't worry about getting into the spirit of GW go ahead and knock yourself out as far as I'm concerned . It's nice to see people excited about their games! Thanks for welcoming me to the game, so far I've only been in pre and I've heard that it's just the tip of the iceburg compared to what I'll find once I leave pre-searing.

Thank you for sharing your wisdom in this thread! 

Thanks for your reply Negatude,

It reminds me of myself playing Guild Wars only I'm like this   with this  !! Lol

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

The first Halloween was the best and probably left the biggest impression on me.  In year one, that was the first holiday event they had held.  Everyone was freaking out as they loaded in like...ZOMG!!!!Did you see what the did to Droks / Lions Arch / etc.!!!!  There was such a general feel of excitement throughout the entire player base.  Everyone was looking at the smallest details in the towns that were transformed. 

This led to what has to have been the largest dance party there has ever been in Lions Arch.  Each group had their own little section all lined up. Female necros doing the "Thriller Dance" over here....mesmers and their "Riverdance" over there, it was mass hysteria.   The Mad King handing out Pumpkin heads.

Halloween FTW!

*edited to complete a sentence*

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

• BigBlackWookBigBlackWook Member Posts: 133

SNOWBALL FIGHT!!!!

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Halloween and Dragon festival.. I LOOVE rollerbeetle races =P When I tried races for the first time I was @__@ I have never seen anything like that in any other mmo.. it's really unique.. but to be honest most GW minigames give lots of fun.

• NavinaNavina Member Posts: 8

hallowe'en event ftw,when the pumkin king was making us do emotes at lion arch and gave out pumkin heads as prizes

-----------------
    Diablo2 exp-lvl86
    Guild wars-lvl20
    RF online-lvl48
    WoW-lvl23

Thanks for posting 8hammer8,

Sounds like the first Halloween was a real blast !  It seems like I saw something about witches brew and some sort of potions that was at one of the celebrations (please correct me if I'm wrong it's been a while since I looked).I hope the makers of Guild Wars can make this year's celebration as good as the past ones.It's got me wondering what last year's celebration  was like? I hope that the makers of Guild Wars don't have too many irons in the fire and make this year's event one worth joining.That is my concern right now.They seem to be coming out with so many games it could be easy for them to be so busy that they can't put enough time into this year's celebration as they have in the past.I hope this won't be the case. I hope that they can put just as much effort into this year's as they have done in the past. I hope this year's event will be really fun experience for all of us playing! The way everyone has talked about past celebrations so far is really getting me stoked for this year's celebration and eager to hear more from everyone.

I have an idea for the celebration, it would be awesome to have a big old spooky haunted house. You could be exploring the house and this really tough monster that everyone dreads to see appears from out of nowhere.But what it really is it's just an illusion triggered by walking over a certain section of main path flooring every so many times.To make the illusion more real it'll be able to do some damage (ex. a river scale).But it scares most people into running as fast as you can right into a trap. That would be just too awesome! They could set the flooring for a random number of times like 1-5 so that it would be harder to find and figure out.Also they could have the trigger piece of flooring set at random areas also to catch everyone off guard.That way everytime you entered  the house it could be different and exciting.Most of all scary! Also have a prize for someone or special title for completing the house.Awards for least number of times trapped and so forth.

What do you think of this idea would it be a good one for the celebration or not? Please let me know what you think.

Thanks for posting BigBlackWook,

Yes i think the snowball fight would be pretty awesome too! Can't wait to see it ! It's gonna be way cool to see my own character in a snowball fight.That in itself would just blow me away.

Thanks for your input it's much appreciated  !!

Thanks for your reply Navina,

The pumkin heads sound like cool prizes.But were they for decoration only or what? The mad king sounds like a cool character maybe they will have him again this year.

Thank you for posting your opinons! 

• asasenpaiasasenpai Member Posts: 124

Can't really say.

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

I've only managed to be at a beta event and the dragon festival and neither were really funny. Of course the beta event with 200+ dancing Assassins was funny, but still... So at the moment I'll see if I can remember to get to some other holiday event.

• SerlingSerling Member Posts: 662

Ditto Hammer's comments. October of 2005 was shocking and awesome at the same time! To see LA, Drok's and Ascalon City turned into something from a nightmare realm with a sense of humor was incredible. It was way, way over the top, complete with a giant cauldron in the main square of LA. The cauldron had giant bones sticking out of it, the moon had been given a jack-o-lantern;s face, and the NPCs were turned into Necrid Horsemen and Bone Dragons!

Here are a couple of screen grabs I got from back then:

The clouds that swirled around in the sky were ghosts! Artistically, it was one of the coolest, most beautiful things I'd ever seen!

This was the one event that made me want to trade all my Necro's minion skills in for just one Bone Dragon!

Thank you for your reply Serling,

Forgive me for not responding sooner. Thanks for the screenshots they are awsome!!  I was wondering how you made them and posted them in your reply ? Just being curious. I hope this year's halloween event will be just as cool as '05.I'm really getting excited about the Halloween event and will be eager to try it out. Thanks for sharing those screenshots!!   The jack 'o lantern heads looked cool too !!!!

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

Originally posted by Shaggy67

Thank you for your reply Serling,
    Forgive me for not responding sooner. Thanks for the screenshots they are awsome!!  I was wondering how you made them and posted them in your reply ? Just being curious. I hope this year's halloween event will be just as cool as '05.I'm really getting excited about the Halloween event and will be eager to try it out. Thanks for sharing those screenshots!!   The jack 'o lantern heads looked cool too !!!!

Shaggy -

For Screen Shots -

Clear Screen - SHIFT+CTRL+H ....then Print Screen (PrtScn)

Standard Screen - (Skill Bar / Chat / Radar / Etc)...just hit Print Screen

Retrieval -

Go to your Guild Wars folder there should be a new folder in there with the screen shots saved

Posting Here -

Upload picture to PhotoBucket or anywhere really that hosts pics (may not be necessary)

Right click on properties...copy the file location...

Come to MMORPG.com...make a post...hit icon above insert image...paste file location in URL spot...hit ok

Picture should be there

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

Thank you 8Hammer8,

I was wondering how to save screenshots and post them.I haven't found any information about it for Guild Wars.That is why I asked the question here. I knew that some of the helpful people in MMORPG could give me an answer. If I have a question that I would like an answer to I usually post it on MMORPG.I know that I'll get an answer or at least pointed in the right direction to find the answer. Thank you for sharing your expertise to answer my question.  MMORPG hasn't let me down yet !!! MMORPG rocks !!! 

• GoddiQGoddiQ Member Posts: 99

Halloween, been wearing that 05 Pumpkin ever since i got it, still not takken off

Thanks for your input GoddiQ,

You still wear your pumpkin proudly.  Can't wait to play this year's version. Just recently got out of pre -searing. Haven't found Lion's Arch yet. I did have someone to help run me there but they had to go in the middle of showing me how to get there.   So I'm just hanging around Old Ascalon for now.I'm just seeing how different things are after the searing and it is really different.  Much bigger map too.  The pre-searing area is a small part of the outside world.  

• AkaraxleAkaraxle Member UncommonPosts: 471

Halloween '05 was the best and most carefully designed event in GW so far.

Thanks for posting avril19820,

I think I'll like the snowball fight along with the other cool stuff I've seen in the movie.    I saw the movie of 2006 Christmas celebration and it does look like fun.   Only heard about the snowball fight though.

• rich9995rich9995 Member UncommonPosts: 25

ah CANDYCANES FTW!!!!!

I have been hauling all 20 of them around with me while I pve.. dumb not to..

only regret is that I wish I had collected more!

• DookzDookz Member UncommonPosts: 562

While all GW holidays are great. Christmas is my favorite because it feels warm and cozy playing while it snows in GW :)

Playing now: Cities: Skyline / Ori and the Blind Forest / Banished

• Gu1ltyGu1lty Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by Dookz

While all GW holidays are great. Christmas is my favorite because it feels warm and cozy playing while it snows in GW :)

ooo..i second that :)