Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any good skill points based MMORPGs out there or on the horizon?

qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

I am tired of level class based MMORPGs. I love a skill based MMORPG where you make your character by where you choose to place points. You can really feel an attachment to a character you designed. Last one I played is Rubies of Eventide, the perfect game if the combat mechanics were not so horrid. I hate to say that because I love so much the whole class system, just wish combat played out more like EQ or WoW. Anyone know of any games like the ones I describe on the horizon or that are out now.

Comments

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

I presume you've played Ultima Online, the true heart and soul of skillgain systems.

• jaharjahar Member Posts: 234

the only one ive really head of is darkfall, but lets not start that discussion

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550

Originally posted by ianubisi

I presume you've played Ultima Online, the true heart and soul of skillgain systems.

UO hasn't been worth playing since the Age of Shadows expansion.  It's too bad the folks at EA, and what is left of Mythic, refuse to see opening an actual classic style server would be a good idea.  The Seige Perilous servers are not the original game, they are just the current game with idiotic restrictions on character development and an open PvP system, which lacks the players to make open PvP worthwhile.

Unfortunately, too many developers think that they need to 'look forward, not backward' (sneer quotes) for game development ideas.  That usually means all the good ideas that were scrapped by untalented hacks are gone from the game for good.  Unfortunately, the untalented hacks get dispersed into the general MMO developer population and continue to create uninspired dreck, becuase that is the limit of their ability.

We're currently getting uninspired WoW clones because nobody in the industry seems to understand why WoW has been so successful.  The general idea seems to be, that if you make a buggy, boring, unfun game that has similar game mechanics as WoW, you're going to make a surefire hit.  The fact that everyone has tried and failed with that formula, since WoW became a massive hit, hasn't deterred developers yet.  It is going to take some folks with actual talent, ideas, money, and a belief in something different, to break the WoW clone mold.  Sadly, there don't seem to be too many folks with those things in the MMO industry at the moment.

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

Anarchy Online

EVE Online

Saga of Ryzom

All three are good games that are at least partially skill based. AO is however 6 years old and showing it (the graphics are fairly substandard as far as today's generation is concerned, and the software is partially incompatible with newer video cards causing irregular lag most mistakenly blame on the server.), EVE you never come out of your starship (for some reason, a lot of people have got to have a humanoid avatar to feel involved), and Ryzom... Well Ryzom was just way too simplified for my taste (you could do a number of interesting things when it comes to customization of equipment and combat skills, but when push came to shove it played like any other WOW/EQ clone). Also, in my experience with MMORPGs, EVE has the highest learning curve in this genre (players there often joke about it actually being a learning cliff), and AO holds the second highest.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111

The one I am looking forwards to.

• FE|TachyonFE|Tachyon Member UncommonPosts: 652
    Originally posted by Obee

Originally posted by ianubisi

UO hasn't been worth playing since the Age of Shadows expansion.  It's too bad the folks at EA, and what is left of Mythic, refuse to see opening an actual classic style server would be a good idea.  The Seige Perilous servers are not the original game, they are just the current game with idiotic restrictions on character development and an open PvP system, which lacks the players to make open PvP worthwhile.

Unfortunately, too many developers think that they need to 'look forward, not backward' (sneer quotes) for game development ideas.  That usually means all the good ideas that were scrapped by untalented hacks are gone from the game for good.  Unfortunately, the untalented hacks get dispersed into the general MMO developer population and continue to create uninspired dreck, becuase that is the limit of their ability.

We're currently getting uninspired WoW clones because nobody in the industry seems to understand why WoW has been so successful.  The general idea seems to be, that if you make a buggy, boring, unfun game that has similar game mechanics as WoW, you're going to make a surefire hit.  The fact that everyone has tried and failed with that formula, since WoW became a massive hit, hasn't deterred developers yet.  It is going to take some folks with actual talent, ideas, money, and a belief in something different, to break the WoW clone mold.  Sadly, there don't seem to be too many folks with those things in the MMO industry at the moment.

I'd drop what I was doing or whatever I was playing to play UO, IF they put up a server with PREUOR Rules.  UOR destroyed UO.  Trammel is like HELL only not nearly as sinister, but twice as undesireable.

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

Originally posted by FE|Tachyon

I'd drop what I was doing or whatever I was playing to play UO, IF they put up a server with PREUOR Rules.

It's been there for years and years, called Siege Perilous.