Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I am depressed about GW2:(

pingopingo Member UncommonPosts: 608

Even though virtual life is for many supposed to be an scape goat from real life, the horrifying truths and rules of real life seems to echo within the dark depths of cyberspace, where somewhere, my characters data is stored on servers that Anet can choose to close at any point, and thus ending my life.

A big fantasy for me, has always been the desire to have an online game, that will never die out. A game that will always be played and populated by other people. My flesh is erelic. I will eventually die, and maggots will feast on me... But my hopes was to that my characters would live on.

That dream has been shattered with GW. GW2 is on the way. Exactly how long is GW1 supposed to manage itself... I wanted my virtual character to be there forever. Alive.

Virtual characters are amazing. they dont have the turmoil and crappy things that sucks about real life. they dont decay. they dont physically age. they dont grow old, and are not left to die on a hospital bed with tubes in and out of their bodies while they look pathethic and helpless only being kept alive by a grey medical device that pumps air into your body, so you wont choke on the nutrition that is being entered into you from a feeding tube.

Im weak, fat and slobby and slow in real life. my virtual character is tall, beautiful and strong.

but now that character will die, and the world around it will die.

What some of you people dont seem to get, is that while the game might still have servers running, everyone will play GW2 instead! Just like with Diablo 1 and 2! When diablo 2 came out, Diablo 1 died.

And thats it...

Its over for guild wars. it was all for nothing. I wanted to live forever through my characters. I dont care if you think thats pathethic, because thats what I wanted to!

Comments

• wyvexwyvex Member UncommonPosts: 346
    its not exactly over completely. i mean, people still play EQ1, people still play RS1, people will still play GW1 when GW2 is out. Besides you can remake your virtual life in GW2 and still have your GW1 character still be there. you never know GW2 might be better for you

• pingopingo Member UncommonPosts: 608

Originally posted by wyvex

its not exactly over completely. i mean, people still play EQ1, people still play RS1, people will still play GW1 when GW2 is out. Besides you can remake your virtual life in GW2 and still have your GW1 character still be there. you never know GW2 might be better for you
    Thats a really good point mate! Now I feel better:)

Do you think it would be possible for Anet to make a program so people could host their own servers and download their characters to their computers?

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

Dying is the easy part. Coming back, now thats tricky

Actually its not but thats besides the point. You knew full well Guildwars was going to die eventually. ANYTHING built on a Corporeal structure will cease to exist.

• SerlingSerling Member Posts: 662

To the OP:

A bit overly dramatic, don't you think? GW1 will continue to be hosted for as long as people - like us - are willing to play it. The population will take a hit as people check out GW2, but when you consider that having EoTN will actually help make your GW2 characters better as long as you're still gaining titles in GW1, here's how I see things shaking out:

People will start off playing GW2, realize they need this title or that weapon in the HoM to make their GW2 character(s) better, then return to GW1 for as long as they need to build up their HoM. And it will continue back and forth this way. People will play GW1 as long as they're playing GW2 because they'll be able to.

I'm actually looking forward to GW2 and seeing how the great-great-grandchildren of my immortalized heroes will do. :)

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

Originally posted by Serling

To the OP:
    A bit overly dramatic, don't you think? GW1 will continue to be hosted for as long as people - like us - are willing to play it. The population will take a hit as people check out GW2, but when you consider that having EoTN will actually help make your GW2 characters better as long as you're still gaining titles in GW1, here's how I see things shaking out:
    People will start off playing GW2, realize they need this title or that weapon in the HoM to make their GW2 character(s) better, then return to GW1 for as long as they need to build up their HoM. And it will continue back and forth this way. People will play GW1 as long as they're playing GW2 because they'll be able to.
    I'm actually looking forward to GW2 and seeing how the great-great-grandchildren of my immortalized heroes will do. :)
    /agree

That is pretty much how I see things working as well.  In an interview they already said the transition from HoM items to GW2 will be fluid.  Meaning that you can go back into the 3 Chapters to do what you need to get the reward in GW2 and it will happen right away.  You would not have to start a new character.

Again it is a little early to start the whole woe-is-me attitude about GW2.  IT IS 2 YEARS AWAY!!  I have faith in ANET's time table outline...but everything is pushed back.  Beta in late 2008 mean release late 2009 if we are lucky.  That is why I laugh at everyone who is complaining oh it is going to take me forever to do X.  Well you have 2 years to accomplish X so stop whining have some fun and I will see you in game.

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

• Lonesamurai1Lonesamurai1 Member Posts: 1,210

Guild Wars 2 will bring new players to Guild Wars, just as 8hammer8 mentioned above simply to get the bits from the hall of monuments...

Its already also been stated that GW will run on the same new servers as GW2, so GW will get a boost from the release of GW2 anyway  

imageimage

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

you can consider GW2 as a reincarnation.

• shakey2005shakey2005 Member Posts: 49

GW will run for as long as people are still buying the original GW games, not for as long as people are playing the game. With no monthly fee and therefore no way to get income from it other than sales, there will come a time when it gets shut down. It may take 5 years, it may take 10, but it'll have to go eventually.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

No one is forcing you not to play GW1 for as long as possible ;)

• DownsyDownsy Member Posts: 55

I hate to point out the obvious, But go ride a bike. Play some frisbee. Hell, try out Golf. This is one of the saddest outcries for Ettention I've ever seen.

IF <--- lol

If aliens landed today they would take over the earth.  If I was given millions of dollars I would pay MMORPG to keep gold selling ads of this site. If if if if if if.....keep throwing that word around because it makes your argument a piece of crap.  Deal with what is and how things actually are instead of how things could/might be in your head.

Guild Wars has good support.  Guild Wars has extremely low lag on it's servers compared to any game with the same amount of players.  Guild Wars updates the game just about every Thursday across all campaigns.  Guild Wars adds new free content (see Sorrows Furnace).

And what magical game are you paying for that has none of the issues that you say GW has in your estimation?  Please try to answer before you are deleted.

**Edited: I erased the quote this was in response to (one of Darkjoy's troll's) but he was deleted before I posted**

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

• SerlingSerling Member Posts: 662

"GW will run for as long as people are still buying the original GW games, not for as long as people are playing the game. With no monthly fee and therefore no way to get income from it other than sales, there will come a time when it gets shut down. It may take 5 years, it may take 10, but it'll have to go eventually."

A-Net has instituted ways to continue to gain income from GW1 vis-a-vis the online store.

And as Lone pointed out, since GW1 and GW2 will be sharing the same servers, (neither of them requiring a monthly fee), both will continue to exist long after online and box sales have peaked.

IOW, both will be around for as long as people want to keep playing them.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

And now to make the OP feel bad again, Everquest 1 and Runescape 1 both have subscribtion fees. Its exactly what you pay for, to keep the server up. Guild Wars doesn't have that. Instead, it runs on boxes sold and expansions. I don't know whats its like on the USA servers, but in Europe, Pre - searing Ascalon seems pretty much dead to me, which means that there is not a huge number of new players joining, at least from Europe. Also, its uncertain if Arena Net will continue to make expansion packs for GW 1 as soon as GW 2 is released.

Originally posted by Gameloading

And now to make the OP feel bad again, Everquest 1 and Runescape 1 both have subscribtion fees. Its exactly what you pay for, to keep the server up. Guild Wars doesn't have that. Instead, it runs on boxes sold and expansions. I don't know whats its like on the USA servers, but in Europe, Pre - searing Ascalon seems pretty much dead to me, which means that there is not a huge number of new players joining, at least from Europe. Also, its uncertain if Arena Net will continue to make expansion packs for GW 1 as soon as GW 2 is released.

Wrong, according to UK sales charts, at least one Guild Wars chapter has been int he top 20 for the last 10 months, especially since nightfalls release and all four were in teh top 15 last week alone...  

GW1 will be shifted onto the GW2 servers on release of GW2...   As we're talking about on The Ascension show tonight, we're going to discuss peoples thoughts on GW:EN and wether they like it or not and wether they believe it is a good lead in to GW2

imageimage

Originally posted by Lonesamurai1

Wrong, according to UK sales charts, at least one Guild Wars chapter has been int he top 20 for the last 10 months, especially since nightfalls release and all four were in teh top 15 last week alone...  

GW1 will be shifted onto the GW2 servers on release of GW2...   As we're talking about on The Ascension show tonight, we're going to discuss peoples thoughts on GW:EN and wether they like it or not and wether they believe it is a good lead in to GW2

yeah well there is a whole wide world outside of the UK. As I said, I have based it on my own experience, and when there is only one english  channel open in pre - ascalon Europe, thats saying something.

yeah well there is a whole wide world outside of the UK. As I said, I have based it on my own experience, and when there is only one english  channel open in pre - ascalon Europe, thats saying something.

that because theres less people starting in prophecies as theres now three starting areas for the game instead of just the one, so through diversification alone you will see less people

not to mention the fact that now the districts are now open to anyone, any time...   I spent this last week in American servers with American guildies (and a couple of Aussie guildies too to reduce lag) and to be honest, if i started a new character now, i'd do it in Factions or even Nightfall, its much quicker to start

imageimage

• SecromSecrom Member Posts: 318

Then let's take a more similar example: the Diablo series.

Given the server infrastructure, I'd say it's more a matter of "GW1 will run as long as Anet makes profits and people are willing to play it" rather than "as long as they sell GW1 boxes".

For the time being there are no plans to release any further boxed campaigns/expansions for GW1 AFAIK. Considering GW2 is still in its infancy they surely have some other trump cards up their sleeves, e.g. the Bonus Pack.
    Originally posted by Secrom

Then let's take a more similar example: the Diablo series.

Given the server infrastructure, I'd say it's more a matter of "GW1 will run as long as Anet makes profits and people are willing to play it" rather than "as long as they sell GW1 boxes".

For the time being there are no plans to release any further boxed campaigns/expansions for GW1 AFAIK. Considering GW2 is still in its infancy they surely have some other trump cards up their sleeves, e.g. the Bonus Pack.

As far as I know, Diablo 2 games are hosted by players, not serverside (except for Battle.net)

• SecromSecrom Member Posts: 318
    Battle.net is what I was referring to, though yep it wasn't that obvious, my bad.

I just want to say I just started a character two days ago and there were 3 districts (2 with a large quantity) in Ascalon Pre-Sear.  And they were not a high levels who were just hanging out..people were looking for help and doing quests.  While I agree there are a lot less than last year, what can you expect after two new chapters and an expansion.  As mentioned previously Prophecies and the rest will always be relevant because of the ability to gain titles from them which will be relevant to a starting GW2 character (again 2+ years away why even bother wasting brain cells on it now?).

• AseenusAseenus Member UncommonPosts: 1,844

look into a game like Runescape, the graphics are ugly as but u see millions of people playing it daily and jagex has no intention to fix the graphics.

so if u would like to play a good graphical game and hope it never grows old then dont look at graphics because some day guild wars graphics are also going to be ugly

• AkaraxleAkaraxle Member UncommonPosts: 471

I think you need to seek help from a specialist.

• TaerusTaerus Member Posts: 3

To OP:

To me as a psychology major, there are things you need to deal with in real life. If you are personafying your online alter ego THAT MUCH. There is an issue.

People do get into games but the horrifying melachony that you just described as your life scares me.

Your acting as if the character being deleted is like a real person dying... and thats not healthy.

If you are young and are struggling with circumstances in real life that you cannot control, work hard in school and be able to to get out on your own as earily as possible.

If you are already out of the house, you defintely need a reality check.

No matter how bad reality is, its what you make it. All of your problems your facing in real life are things you mentally set on your self. Its up to you to solve them.

• Mariner-80Mariner-80 Member Posts: 347

Taerus, I think you are taking the OP far too seriously. ;)

I've just recently finished reading the "history for Guild Wars 2" article in the recent PCGamer special edition on GW. I think the backstory for GW2 sounds really interesting.

Having said that, I just thought I'd mention why I, too, am (mildly) depressed about GW2 -- and it has nothing to do with losing a beloved avatar.

What concerns me most about GW2 is--

(1) The move toward less instancing. I love the current instancing feature of GW. It allows for better story immersion. I understand that the purpose for this change is to have more of a community/MMO feel to the game, but what I would have preferred would have been a better mechanism for grouping. Instead of multiple mission staging areas, I wish GW had allowed you to sign up for a particular mission *regardless* of what outpost or region you were in. Once a team was assembled, it would take but the leader to set the mission in motion and transport all other players to the mission site. If I wanted "open, free-for-all areas" (i.e., noninstanced), I'd play WoW or EQ.

(2) The (apparent) elimination of henches/heroes in favor of (correct me if I'm wrong) a single "Companion" (hero type NPC). Half the fun of GW for me has been in the hench/hero choices and skill sets. I also like being able to solo most if not all of the content if I happen to feel like soloing--something the henches have always allowed me to do. If I wanted enforced grouping (with Player Characters), there are plenty of other MMO games that do that.

(3) The elimination of the level 20 cap. I am very "depressed" about this, as I think the original level cap was a stroke of genius. It allows players to be "competitive" very quickly and to hold their own in virtually any mission or quest. Having a large level range is going to create "level prejudice". I'm irked about this. In Guild Wars, you could follow the main storyline straight through or you could quest along the way. A wide range of levels will probably mean you cannot do certain missions/instances until you reach the requisite level. Again, if I wanted that I'd play another MMO.

I am puzzled that ArenaNet would mess with such a fun and entertaining game. I just hope this is not going to be a "New Coke" sort of disaster, wherein a company decides to "fix and improve" something that really was not broken in the first place. Most of the changes I have heard that are in store for GW2 sound like it is moving in a WoW-ward direction and losing the very distinctives that made GW so unique and so fun.

Of course, I will wait and see (and probably try out) GW2. My loyalty to the game is strong. But it sounds as if many of the features I so appreciated about GW are going to be shelved. And that *is* a bit depressing.

GW2 is TWO YEARS AWAY....I still don't think people are understanding this concept.  Why put all of this energy into deciding whether or not you are going to play or what effect that this is going to have on the original campaigns?  The fact of the matter is the developers are not even sure exactly what they are going to do.  They will continue to change and adapt things from now until the game goes gold.  So please people relax and play the game.