Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW has the success EQ2 should have

Comments

• area84area84 Member Posts: 335

Originally posted by Cabe2323

World of Warcraft at release was just as buggy as Vanguard for Massive amounts of players.  They had servers that didn't work due to the loads. 

Lol I stopped reading right there, WoW as buggy as Vanguard? Did you even play Vanguard when it came out? I played WoW in Beta and it was one of the less buggy games I ever touched, I dont know wether you are an EQ fan boi or just hate WoW and are running away from the facts. Most people who play wow today werent Warcraft fans and didnt even know Warcraft, they play because they enjoy it.

It doesn't matter who makes the game when it is fun it is fun end of story people play games to have fun, I buy a game if it is interesting and I think I will like it I could give a shit less about who makes the game, yea if its a well known company for quality games I may be more confident about it but I dont play something because it was made by Blizzard? Seriously what kind of logic is that? You keep saying wow is doing good because of its name and because it was made by Blizzard but yet you run away from the real fact, wow is a well put together game and that is why people play it still not because Blizzard made it or because it has the name Warcraft in it.

Advertising will help the game sell at first but the true colors come out sooner or later and I think if WoW is as bad as you make it sound to be than the true colors would have come out but more and more people subscribe to it, stick with it because they love and enjoy the games, thats what games are for.

According to this theory SWG should have been the leading MMO because common who doesnt know Star Wars we all grew up with it and watch the movies to this day, you cant go to a single store without seeing something with the Star Wars logo in it.

A good game is exactly like a good movie, when it comes out its a hit, it makes millions and millions of dollars while other movies may not even make it to theaters, now of course some people will not like the sucessful movie and say the crappy one with horrible acting was better. That is an opinion not a fact, and the fact is that WoW isnt successful because of the advertising or because Blizzard made it (even though they are responsible for the most sucessful game out now) its because its a well put together MMO which appeals to alot of audiences and there is alot to do, even though some stuff may seem grindu there is so much content that it doesnt feel like it.

A man dies daily, only to be reborn in the morning, bigger, better and wiser.

-Playing AoC
    -Playing WoW
    -Retired- SWG
    -Retired- EVE
    -Retired- LotR

Computer (- Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.81 Ghz (Quad Core CPU)- Gigabyte MA790FX-DS5 - 4 Gigs of PC 8500 ram (1066)- EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS PCI Express 2.0 - WD 500GB 7500RPM - Zalman CPU cooler (air cooled)
    - 24" Widescreen 1080P HD display).

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

Originally posted by brostyn

Advertising only gets you so far.  Quality and value keep customers coming back. If WoW lacked quality or value, then people wouldn't play it. Advertising has nothing to do with keeping subscribers.

Thats really all that needs to be said.

If EQ2 was actually a better game then WOW then more people would be playing it then would be playing WOW...Who cares taht Blizzard had a huge fan base, if they released a crappy game like EQ2 with crappy combat or god forbid a game like Vanguard then all the rep in the world would not have kept people comming back or joining the game.

The truth is in the numbers(subs), screw what any of us say here because Women lie, Men lie, Numbers don't.

BTW name one other MMO that has come out that had a OPEN book closed beta process that WOW had.. I can think of none, they all claim they want to keep their unique features away from competion but we all know why they really do it.. They do not want their beta testers bashing the game to death and letting people know how much it sucks... Blizzard knew they had a hit and a damn good game on thier hands thats why they didn't care about beta testers telling their expierences.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• ZarraaZarraa Member Posts: 481

Originally posted by Acaeus

In fact, I had a more EQ-esque experience playing WoW than playing EQ2.

I think this sums up the entire thread quite nicely.. 

I remember making this remark to some old EQI guildies. Dispite it's easy gameplay & subpar graphics WOW managed to capture more of  EQI's spirit than EQII did.

Kind of Ironic when you think about it.. While I still say EQII is the most complete fantasy MMO out atm it lacks the soul of the original. 

Dutchess Zarraa Voltayre
    Reborn/Zero Sum/Ancient Legacy/Jagged Legion/Feared/Nuke & Pave.

• JasPlunJasPlun Member Posts: 155

Notice right below the OP's post it says games he is currently playing is Guild Wars and no where to be found is EQ2 he must be from SOE or somthin . I tried EQ2 and it was fun for me in the beginning just because I was getting tired of Wow BUT as I continued in EQ2 I found several things about I did not like and maybe ill go into detail about that in a later post. I just thought it was funny how much he was bragging on EQ2 and to not have it listed as a current game hes playing.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

HEHE alot of people did not play WoW at relerase it was one of the worse releases i have seen. It was almost unplayable... infact Blizz numbers did not begin to sore until  they got double the amount of servers online.   Bugs were bad 1/2 of the higher end content was not in.  Loot lag  was god awful.  However, it was easy to play and the core combat system worked well. Cabe seems to understand this to some degree.

EQ2 does lack something ill agree with that its not a bad game but it not one of those  , this game stands on top in any catagory. (To me) This does not mean its not worth playing , just that a lot less will play it and hold it in high regards.

EQ1 was one of these games, DAOC was one, UO was one, WoW is one, and there may be a few more. But these are games that defined MMOs in a  new way.

Still i think  WoWs sucess is large due to 3 main factors:

1) Popularity of Blizz / word of moth.

2) Core combat and class systems Work WElll  very well.

3) Vision of a game that is easy for noobs to start in , (solo with any class of the bat etc)    -  Someone said well you can't do that late in the game/ end game... it doesn't matter by then the player is hooked.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Originally posted by Moirae

Originally posted by arctarus

Please do not call others players who like playing the game that they like being rip off. 
    WoW gives content without asking you to pay, but in Eq2 you have to buy every x-pac.

Ok, this is the first one that I felt replying to. You don't know anything do you? Have you even played EQ2 for any length of time? or are you just talking out of your butt?
    We get constant updates. New content with every single release of the newest update. And WE JUST GOT A FREE EXPANSION PACK CALLED NERIAK. Next time, check before you say something stupid.
    WoW graphics is a continue of their rts game, thats why the graphics is like that. But if you really play WoW you will really have to admire their detail in games. Every node, every block and miss is being show. But what i like in EQ2 is when you pass by a npc, it will turn his head and look at you, which is pretty amazing to me!
    WoW made me want to rip my hair out. I was level 26 almost as soon as I started the game and I didn't even finish the free month they give. I will never play it again.

edit: i dont like the harvest part of Eq2 where you are bending around and... i dont know what my chrac is doing...
    Its better than having it suddenly appear. You're a crafter, this is what you'd have to do to craft.  The crafting in this game is excellent. You do more than hit one button and wait for it to finish. You're actually involved.

Ive play my toon till lvl 24, hit crossroad and cant laugh about the same name as WoW, even both have WC. ha!

Regarding the new content, nope didnt stay too long for it to happen, And about crafting, its the gathering animations that i dont understand, why am i bending stretching both my hands? you call that gathering herb??? But i like the part where you really do the crafting where you will actually fail sometimes...

RIP Orc Choppa

• StevenTheRocStevenTheRoc Member Posts: 74

Please do not call others players who like playing the game that they like being rip off. 
    WoW gives content without asking you to pay, but in Eq2 you have to buy every x-pac.

Ok, this is the first one that I felt replying to. You don't know anything do you? Have you even played EQ2 for any length of time? or are you just talking out of your butt?
    We get constant updates. New content with every single release of the newest update. And WE JUST GOT A FREE EXPANSION PACK CALLED NERIAK. Next time, check before you say something stupid.
    WoW graphics is a continue of their rts game, thats why the graphics is like that. But if you really play WoW you will really have to admire their detail in games. Every node, every block and miss is being show. But what i like in EQ2 is when you pass by a npc, it will turn his head and look at you, which is pretty amazing to me!
    WoW made me want to rip my hair out. I was level 26 almost as soon as I started the game and I didn't even finish the free month they give. I will never play it again.

edit: i dont like the harvest part of Eq2 where you are bending around and... i dont know what my chrac is doing...
    Its better than having it suddenly appear. You're a crafter, this is what you'd have to do to craft.  The crafting in this game is excellent. You do more than hit one button and wait for it to finish. You're actually involved.
    Ive play my toon till lvl 24, hit crossroad and cant laugh about the same name as WoW, even both have WC. ha!

Regarding the new content, nope didnt stay too long for it to happen, And about crafting, its the gathering animations that i dont understand, why am i bending stretching both my hands? you call that gathering herb??? But i like the part where you really do the crafting where you will actually fail sometimes...

EQ 2is a bust down of a game and I'm an EQ and UO vet. It has less chance than vanguard of eever becoming a big hit like wow. My opinion please don't flame.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

To those who claim that the only reason WoW is the most popular MMO only because of advertising, I have 2 words for you:

Sega Genesis.

Next.

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

When i played WoW for the first time, i got it simply because a freind of mine told me "if you like mmo's this one is going to be the best one out there" So funny story, I picked it up on launch day and my friend who had it pre-ordered didnt get his copy for about a week or so because of a screw up at gamespot. So I got into the game and I swear the first time I saw Ironforge, I was stoked! The first time I saw the Tauren starting area I was hooked. The game was more than just a "kiddy" game or "just another everquest clone" it was the real deal I could feel myself being taken in quick.

The game was not buggy at all for me, the only thing that was buggy to me was when i first started crafting I could not mine some copper ores outside of Ironforge because they were glitched. That only hindered me fro mcrafting not from enjoying everything else I wanted to do.

Plain an simply I came from SWG to WoW, It was nice to have something not ss complicated for a year or so, and its funny because If they would have simply added player housing and player controlled boats(VG-eque) I would stil lbe with WoW and would have been playing it the whole time, but unfortunatly they wanted to capitilize on their game, not turning into a bad game, just making it too much of the same.

I have now been playing EQ2 for about 3 weeks now and can honestly say I will be playing it for as long as I can until pirates of the burning sea comes out.

The MMO genre doesnt need more 5 star killer mmos like WoW. It needs more 3 Star SWG's and EQ2's.

-jive

• JackDonkeyJackDonkey Member Posts: 383

interface customization, wow has it.

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    if I were to kill a titan tomorrow and no CCP employees showed up to say grats I would petition it.
    Waiting for: the next MMO that lets me make this macro
    if hp < 30 then CastSpell("heal") SpellTargetUnit("player") else CastSpell("smite") end

• JosherJosher Member Posts: 2,818

You have to feel sorry for those who call WOW's release BAD.  Having no frame of reference makes you ignorant.

To the guy who said it had no PVP.  Holy stupidty Batman;)  If it didn't have PvP, what the hell was I doing at lvl 20 fighting Alliance over quest mobs a few days after release.  Vangaurd had a bad release. AO had a bad release.  ShadowBane had a lousy release.  WOW"s was about as good as you can expect considering the pounding its servers were taking with 100s of thousands of players.  Other games with MUCH, MUCH worse launches were lucky to break 30k.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

One thing that did the game in for me were the graphics, created by math rather than artists (which SOE must abuse regularly). Now don't get me wrong, I am a fan of  realistic art styles in games. EQ2 however, is HIGHLY unrealistic.  The american models are so god awful bad, and IMO are more cartoony and less realistic than WoWs. I mean have you ever looked at a male humans face? Triangle eyes and lips, no nostrils the speak of, and everyone has playdough hair. The game looks gumby.

On the other hand WoW, which they actually spent attention to on the characters, have things like nostrils and unique animations for each race (unlike EQ2 where every single race has the same exact animations). Another thing that puts the graphics in WoW way over EQ2 is just how the models are so much more alive and full of spirit, while the EQ2 ones are just drones and robots. The WoW models do things that real living beings do, like tail wagging, side scratching, stretching, looking around occassionaly. All I've seen the EQ2 models is stand in their lame triumphant hero pose 24/7 and breathe. Boring and highly unrealistic, a true mark of laziness.

Also the armor. Many EQ2 fanboys claim the armor is much more realistic than WoW's, sure some of it (which mostly looks boring, not to mention the HUGE lack of variety). Well I've seen several screenshots of armors even more tacky and colorfully mismatched than WoW's. It's hard to promote the game as realistic when you see gumby-esque characters running around in trashcan armor that looks like it was sprayed on with neon colors.

As for the gameplay, WoW is the typical same ol same ol crap, just super polished and extremely streamlined, so it would appeal to the masses. EQ2, seemed to me like it tried to be like that but just failed, and then tried to keep copying WoW till they got something right. Sure there are different features that set it different than WoW, but really it's nothing groundbreaking. Also alot of extremely gimmicky crap like WALL CLIMBING! WOOH SIGN ME UP, I CAN CLIMB UP WALLS NOW! MOVE BOXES IN DUNGEONS?! OH LORDY, I CAN'T WAIT!

Fortunately for EQ2 they got the SOGA models (still doesn't help the racial identification and animations problem), but the lack of armors and weapons is still a huge problem. Also who's idea was it to replace hair models with hat ones?

Wooh, kinda went off there. I just can't understand how people can put EQ2 american models in their sigs and think it looks great, with those wood elf michael jackson faces and playdough hair. An art style that's neither realistic nor stylistic, just pure amateur trash.

• PhosPhos Member Posts: 455

Timing. That's the only reason WoW is more successful.

Both games are polished and exceptional for their time. But WoW had no competition when it was released, and people were ready to move on from the previous generation of games.

- Phos

imageAAH! A troll fire! Quick, pour some Kool-Aid on it!!!

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574

I have to say Blizzard had about as smooth a start as any MMO.  They almost all seem to have problems at the start except perhaps LOTRO.  WoW had all kinds of lag in beta and into release.  You would sit there waiting to loot something for a few minutes with the possibility of the server crashing and being restarted.  It also didn't have talent points for Paladins and Hunters.  This lead a great deal to the initial imbalance of the Paladin class as it wasn't really finished yet.  They decided to do  a complete Paladin revamp right at release including all new skills and abilities.  The Hunter was not a popular class at the beginning due to lack of talents.  Hunters were taken down very easily in PvP at the time.  The durability was added right at release!  I know really disliked that decision.  It took me a long time to get used to it.  The thing is the game was a lot of fun so I overlooked whatever problems it did have.  After playing EQ it was really nice to play a game with some direction and less grind.

• bonobotheorybonobotheory Member UncommonPosts: 1,007

I'd rather EQ2 not have the same success as WoW.  I'd rather it be populated by a few hundred thousand polite and friendly geeks than eight million screaming tardfarmers.  EQ2 is the game I play when I need to get away from WoW's "community."

Originally posted by Phos

Timing. That's the only reason WoW is more successful.
    Both games are polished and exceptional for their time. But WoW had no competition when it was released, and people were ready to move on from the previous generation of games.
    - Phos

So EQ2 wasn't competition?  Seems to me EQ2 released right before WOW.  What about Eve, SWG, DAOC or every MMORPG thats released since or before WOW? 

If WOW was succesful JUST because there was no competition, even though theres about 20 or 30 MMORPGs out there, why was UO succesful?  THAT's called timing. There was NOTHING out there when UO released.  WOWs success is due to creating a game that was heads and tails ABOVE the competition...and there was plenty of it 3 years ago and plenty of it now.

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939

Originally posted by Josher

You have to feel sorry for those who call WOW's release BAD.  Having no frame of reference makes you ignorant.
    To the guy who said it had no PVP.  Holy stupidty Batman;)  If it didn't have PvP, what the hell was I doing at lvl 20 fighting Alliance over quest mobs a few days after release.  Vangaurd had a bad release. AO had a bad release.  ShadowBane had a lousy release.  WOW"s was about as good as you can expect considering the pounding its servers were taking with 100s of thousands of players.  Other games with MUCH, MUCH worse launches were lucky to break 30k.
    Maybe you don't have any frame of reference.  AO was bad because the server was laggy and it kicked people all the time, So did WoW.   One of the major complaints with Vanguard was warping mobs and horrible combat lag, Which Warcraft had as well.  You can't blame the amount of subscribers and then say well its ok that Warcraft crashed a lot, but it isn't ok that Vanguard or AO did. 

World of Warcraft had a decent launch.  CoH's was better, DAoC's was better, LOTRO was better. 

So that isn't the reason that World of Warcraft is so successful. 

LOTRO has everything that World of Warcraft has features wise and yet it isn't as successful. 

Everquest 2 has pretty much everything that World of Warcraft has as well.

And GL you can't compare the two.  Sega Genesis didn't have a free pool of people to bombard with advertisements like Blizzard does.  Like I said before the only real comparisons would be if Sony had the Playstation 2 and 3 load an advertisement everytime someone played any game on them.  Or if Microsoft had Windows play an add for an MMO game on loading.  That is the level of advertisements that Blizzard was able to use to launch World of Warcraft. 

No other MMO publisher has had that level of being in the public eye. 

(and no I am not an EQ2 fanboy.  I played up to level 38 and found the game too much like WoW and I was sick of WoW.  I am playing DAoC which I consider the best game on the market currently.  Too bad more people didn't agree with me )

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

• celtycelty Member Posts: 13

Phos,

I'm sorry to say I think your logic may be flawed here.  EQII came out 2 weeks before WoW. 

if timing was the only thing, then EQ II would have came out on top, so it must be something else.

Cabe,

I just started playing DaoC a lot more as well, it's pretty hard to get back in the swing of things starting out fresh but it was a great game and I do enjoy my time there now.

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

You call that an expansion pack?  It was two small zones.  And the old Neriak was better anyway.

WoW is just a vastly superior game all around.  EQ2 was a competent MMO when it launched but since the gameplay standards for MMOs were lower back then, that's not saying much. 

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Originally posted by Chieftan

You call that an expansion pack?  It was two small zones.  And the old Neriak was better anyway.

WoW is just a vastly superior game all around.  EQ2 was a competent MMO when it launched but since the gameplay standards for MMOs were lower back then, that's not saying much. 

No, no its not a vastly superior game. Its a sucky game. One of the worst I've ever played. You may be content with the bottom of the barrel but I'm not.

• ikraikra Member Posts: 339

eq2 sucked.... thats all there is to it. Tried to change eq1  even on bits, but i think the developers minds was "we will make this a success because its the same name"

i~ku~ra

No, no its not a vastly superior game. Its a sucky game. One of the worst I've ever played. You may be content with the bottom of the barrel but I'm not.

Luckily one persons opinion means very little compared to 8 million and a whole bunch of glowing reviews who agree its a damn good game.  

• lomillerlomiller Member Posts: 1,810
    Originally posted by JackDonkey

So does EQ2, but since you can do almost anything you want with the EQ2 UI widgets right inside the UI there isn’t nearly as much need. There are a few customizations that you can make for WoW that you couldn’t make for EQ2 but that’s because they can be used to write bots. 

The real reason WoW for WoW's huge success is converting existing Battlenet users to a pay/play model.  This means you can't really compare it to other MMOs because the people who play it will never be interested in the MMO genre outside of WoW. 
  • Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939
    Originally posted by lomiller

Originally posted by JackDonkey

So does EQ2, but since you can do almost anything you want with the EQ2 UI widgets right inside the UI there isn’t nearly as much need. There are a few customizations that you can make for WoW that you couldn’t make for EQ2 but that’s because they can be used to write bots. 

The real reason WoW for WoW's huge success is converting existing Battlenet users to a pay/play model.  This means you can't really compare it to other MMOs because the people who play it will never be interested in the MMO genre outside of WoW. 

Thank you finally someone who gets what I was saying. 

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

• area84area84 Member Posts: 335

Enough with the nonsense already I was never in Battle.net and the majority of people I have met in my WoW experience are people who never even played any Blizzard games stop it with the uneducated posts, something that is merely an opinion and nothing else.

You can cut around the corner all that you want but WoW is sucessful because it is a great game that has played the cards right and EQ isnt because it is simply not as good/addictive/fun to play/friendly/content/smooth/addicting. Numbers show success just because you don't like it doesn't mean anything just go and play something you like.  I used to play SWG and quit for WoW than after 2 years of playing I quit to play LotR, than returned to WoW because I missed it and it SATISFIES me in a way that other MMOs don't, I even played EvE. I plan to try out WAR and AoC when they come out so dont go assuming that people who play WoW play just because its a Blizzard game and because of Battle.net, you have no idea how stupid and retarded that sounds and how you make your self sound like you know little about what you are talking about.

I am well aware that this is like the anti-WoW website and alot of negativity brews here but at least don't make posts about how your game should be as successful as WoW because it is not for a reason, success speaks for it self and I don't need to sit here and convince people who don't want to listen and make retarded posts like "wow is kiddie land". "starting area is addictive thats why 8 million people play it" "wow sucks" "WAR will kill WoW" "lol kids in wow lol" "wow is famous because of word of mouth" all people talk about what they play OK? If you play EQ2 im sure you told all your friends what you play and how cool it is, we all share what we enjoy with others, according to this theory EQ should have as many people playing as wow not less than 7%

A man dies daily, only to be reborn in the morning, bigger, better and wiser.

-Playing AoC
    -Playing WoW
    -Retired- SWG
    -Retired- EVE
    -Retired- LotR

Computer (- Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.81 Ghz (Quad Core CPU)- Gigabyte MA790FX-DS5 - 4 Gigs of PC 8500 ram (1066)- EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS PCI Express 2.0 - WD 500GB 7500RPM - Zalman CPU cooler (air cooled)
    - 24" Widescreen 1080P HD display).