Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Join MMORPG.com Folding@Home Team!

xpyrofuryxxpyrofuryx Member CommonPosts: 1,587

Everyone come and join up on MMORPG.com's Folding@Home

Download here: folding.stanford.edu/download.html

When you download, type in your name and use the Team number: 80427

This is MMORPG.com's Team Number, Make sure you use this number!

Please do this! We can all help!

What this does is it takes all your excess CPU power (NOTE: It does not slow down your computer AT ALL, it takes what ever isnt being used, trust me, does not slow down at all). With this extra CPU power it does equations for Standford University and helps solves diseases such as Cancer, or does research on important things like nanotubes.

Comments

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by xpyrofuryx

Everyone come and join up on MMORPG.com's Folding@Home

Download here: folding.stanford.edu/download.html

When you download, type in your name and use the Team number: 80427
    This is MMORPG.com's official Team Number

Please do this! We can all help!
     What this does is it takes all your excess CPU power (NOTE: It does not slow down your computer AT ALL, it takes what ever isnt being used, trust me, does not slow down at all). With this extra CPU power it does equations for Standford University and helps solves diseases such as Cancer, or does research on important things like nanotubes.

I request this as a sticky

Question: what is the difference between the graphical client and the GPU client? Am I right in assuming one uses cpu based cycles and one uses gpu based?

• xpyrofuryxxpyrofuryx Member CommonPosts: 1,587
    Originally posted by Zorvan

Question: what is the difference between the graphical client and the GPU client? Am I right in assuming one uses cpu based cycles and one uses gpu based?

With todays GPU technology like the nVidia 8800 series and the x2900XT cards, the power they output and can handle is great. So what the GPU based one does the same thing but uses the GPU instead of the CPU, much like nVidia is doing with the Tesla. The Tesla is just a 8800 card that has software that turns CPU tasks onto the 8800 GPU and processes them. Each 8800 Tesla output 500GFlops each. And the graphical client is simply a program that uses the CPU that you see the protein being folded. And the text Console type is simply one that you cant see it, but it does the same thing.

Edit: But the version of the GPU are only in Beta right now, and only support ATI Radeon x1600, x1800, x1900, and Firestream series cards.

Alrighty, wanted to make sure I had the basics down.

Program now running.

• methane47methane47 Member CommonPosts: 3,701

Originally posted by Zorvan

With todays GPU technology like the nVidia 8800 series and the x2900XT cards, the power they output and can handle is great. So what the GPU based one does the same thing but uses the GPU instead of the CPU, much like nVidia is doing with the Tesla. The Tesla is just a 8800 card that has software that turns CPU tasks onto the 8800 GPU and processes them. Each 8800 Tesla output 500GFlops each. And the graphical client is simply a program that uses the CPU that you see the protein being folded. And the text Console type is simply one that you cant see it, but it does the same thing.

Edit: But the version of the GPU are only in Beta right now, and only support ATI Radeon x1600, x1800, x1900, and Firestream series cards.

Also I will add that.. even though it seems that GPU are cranking out tonnes of data. The GPU client also feeds the GPUs much simpler calculations (or rather less complex) than the CPU clients.. So while GPUs are extremely fast... They are limited in their contributions

What's your Wu Name?
    Donovan --> Wu Name = Violent Knight
    Methane47 --> Wu Name = Thunderous Leader
    "Some people call me the walking plank, 'cuz any where you go... Death is right behind you.."
    <i>ME<i>

Who votes to sticky this?

I vote to sticky. It's for a good cause, and has no downside as far as I can see from running it.

Alright! its stickied! So come on everyone join in!

• XeximaXexima Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

done.  I'll take your word for it that it won't slow my computer down, it's already slow enough as is.

• ElapsedElapsed Member UncommonPosts: 2,329

Originally posted by Xexima
    done.  I'll take your word for it that it won't slow my computer down, it's already slow enough as is.

Don't run it while you are playing any games. It will slow them down because the program maxes out a single core. F@H is meant to be run when you aren't using the computer or doing light tasks such as browsing the net.

Also why F@H? You should take up another program that needs more users. There are all ready tons of people using F@H and the competition is stiff.

• b0rderline99b0rderline99 Member Posts: 1,441

im actually a member of one of these

except mine calculates prime numbers

and if your computer calculates the largest prime number ever, then you win some money or something

idk its pretty cool

• ElapsedElapsed Member UncommonPosts: 2,329

Originally posted by b0rderline99
    im actually a member of one of these
    except mine calculates prime numbers
    and if your computer calculates the largest prime number ever, then you win some money or something
    idk its pretty cool

Yes, it's cool. There are other cool programs like SETI@Home that let you aid in fiding an ET radio signal. I remember seeing another project that tries to predict the stock market.

Really though I'd rather spend my power (MONEY) contributing to more serious causes like cancer and AIDS. When you run these programs it costs you more money since it works your processor more.

Here is a list of distributed computing programs. I programs other than Folding@home are a better choice since Folding@home is way mainstrea. PS3 has a folding@home client on it.

Join up!

• NierroNierro Member UncommonPosts: 1,755

I signed up.

• UmbroodUmbrood Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

I actually had this one running on my old comp for quite some time, then I got a new comp and never got around to reinstall it.

Not that it really matters but can you somehow retain your old finnished "packs" or whatever they called them?

I never registered just input a user name and of I went so I assume you can not, in any case I shall start it up again, thanks for reminding me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Jerek_

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Come on guys! so far its only me and xex (xexima?) that have finished work-units! Lets solve cancer!!!

• XeximaXexima Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Come on guys! so far its only me and xex (xexima?) that have finished work-units! Lets solve cancer!!!

yeah, that's me.. and whoops, forgot to turn it back on, my fan was running really loud so I turned it off and it stopped.. I'll turn it back on.

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

I'm trying. Says my work unit won't complete until January 9, 2009. Pretty crappy for the processor I have. 

Intel dual core 6700 @ 2.13 GHz.

Go figure.

• Malachi1975Malachi1975 Member Posts: 1,079

Alrighty, I am folding with you guys instead of by myself now. During the summer months I may have to be on and off as my power bill of $285/mos can be a bit staggering.

I wonder which of those few little dots around Las Vegas I am...

"What is it I have against Microsoft, you ask? Well, you know how you feel when you wait for an MMO to come out and when it does you feel like you've paid to play it's beta test for another 6-9 months before anything even thinks of working the way it should? Being a network engineer you feel that way about anything Microsoft puts out."

• It's good to see some of you getting involved in this important work. I did the folding@home thing for a couple years but the client was kinda quirky and didn't run well on my rig so switched over to the World Community Grid two years ago (1year: 341 days: 15 h: 49 m. to be exact ).

Lemme do some investigatin'...I'll join-up with you guys if I see that they've significantly improved the client.

Originally posted by Dekron

I'm trying. Says my work unit won't complete until January 9, 2009. Pretty crappy for the processor I have. 

Go figure.

wow... Jesus.... thats a few months lol, I folded 9 WUs in about a week, and I have a AMD Athlon 64 4000+. Try putting one core to the program.

• I'm folding with the MMORPG team but my name doesn't show up on the roster...

I only see pyro, xex, and malachi.

EDIT: I just completed my first work unit...my name is now on the roster.

Go figure.

Try putting one core to the program.

Do you mean setting its affinity? I went to task manager and set winFAH.exe to use a single core, not both.

Go figure.

Either you got one of the MASSIVE super projects like I did on my first go....or you're running an 8088. :P

"What is it I have against Microsoft, you ask? Well, you know how you feel when you wait for an MMO to come out and when it does you feel like you've paid to play it's beta test for another 6-9 months before anything even thinks of working the way it should? Being a network engineer you feel that way about anything Microsoft puts out."

Originally posted by Malachi1975

Go figure.

Either you got one of the MASSIVE super projects like I did on my first go....or you're running an 8088. :P

It was massive - about 225,000 frames. I have a new one that is 25,000 frames and it shows my WU to be done by midnight tonight.

That's the problem. Yeah, my first unit was 600K+ so it took me a while to finish. I think they cut the unit sizes a bit.

Edit: All my current WUs finish in about 8 hours on the PS3. My server is running constant WUs but it's slow in comparison. Once the weather cools down here and my electric bill drops back under $200 I will set the laptops and desktops up to run F@H as well.