Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why wow will continue to rule all others!

Comments

• gamerman98gamerman98 Member UncommonPosts: 807

I agree too and im not even going to waste my time explaining the long list of things they could have changed to make better since launch...

• WarblazeWarblaze Member UncommonPosts: 178

You know, i find it really funny to see you how you wow-haters keep coming with new bullshit to bash this game. First, everyone here is talking about how wow sucks because it lacks certain things. THEN when blizzard comes up with the new stuff, haters start saying; "oh well, feck you blizz! You could have done this 3 or 4 years ago!"  And while you people keep wasting your time bitching and complaining about it, hoping you can harvest some lost souls for your own (crappy)  game you are supporting, wow gets another 1.000.000 players.

And about that post calling Blizzard greedy;  my friend, it's called profit. It is what thrives every single studio, without the "greed" there would be no innovation and no games for you to play. If a certain studio invents something totaly new and gets lots of players because of this, others will implement the same thing in order to stay competative. Because of this the standard for games will be expanded and the entire genre will reach a higher level. Thus, more fun for you. If there was no "greed" (or profit to be made), you would still be sitting behind your commodore playing pacman.

I can go on and on and on.... but i wont. I think the recent release of info about the upcomming expansion proved my point and im not going to get myself into a stupid argument with the haters. It's not worth my time and it certainly hasn't anything to do with the original topic of this thread. Cya and bye bye.

• SilverminkSilvermink Member UncommonPosts: 289

Originally posted by omgwtfbs

Assuming the majority of the WoW community are not hardcore WoW fanbois, WoW will not continue to "rule all," unless Blizz steps up and makes a viable end game.  As it stands WoWs end game is almost non existant.  Raiding hours on end to get gear, just to raid and kill the same mobs is WoWs end game. No thx.  However this endgame is only played by a few WoW players.  The majority of the WoW community is the casual gamer.  This is the main reason why WoW is doing well.  If they were all hardcore gamers, they would get bored of the game very fast.  With out much (if any) of an end game, WoW will lose a lot of the their playerbase to games with better end game.  The bad pvp system also leaves WoW vulnerable to games with better PvP systems as well.
    I think, if blizz implements a good PvP system, that WoW would be a much better game.  It would give the game some (imo) viable end game.
    As long as gaming companies continue to demand supercomputers to run their games, WoW will continue to dominate. WoW looks nice(maybe not great or realistic, but nice) and runs well. All the features in the world won't make a WoW killer if 8 Million people don't have computers that can run it. Casual gamers pay just as much as a hardcore gamer, and require much less support. I think Blizzard knows their business model very well. There just arent enough PvP and raiders to compete with the casual market.

A good PvP game is very impractical in a PvE world. Either you make a good PvE game with PvP added, or a good PvP game and sell it that way.  I would love a good MMO with capturable world points and quests that change from side to side, but what happens if one side gets to strong. All the other side move to another server.

• sitheussitheus Member Posts: 230

Continue to rule in the subscription numbers as long as they keep giving countries like China free WoW, free WoW expansions, and free monthly subscriptions.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    Originally posted by Warblaze

Okay, i'm hearing all this talk about how World of Warcraft is going to lose its position as the number one mmo of all times because of games such as Age of Conan and Warhammer.  To be honest, i find that statement to be absolutely ridiculous.
    Blizzard is a company just like anny other, it needs to be able to compete with other games that developers are releasing, their reason of existence is profit, period.  If we look at games such as WAR and AOC, we can see that those games have some verry neat feautures like mounted combat, player housing,  Ships, etc etc.  Blizzard knows damn well that they will have to keep up with this to stay in the loop so they undoubtly will add some of these features into WOW.  That's not copying, it's called the evolution of the genre (and business strategy).
    As a matter of fact, i'm sure that the BC wasnt such a big deal because of this. Blizzard is aware of the comming competition and they didnt want to shoot all of their gunpowder at once.
    Seriously, everyone who's into marketing knows that big companies simply wont let go of a proven, money making concept. Simply dropping WoW would be the most stupid thing blizzard could ever do, they are making  hundreds of millions of dollars with this game, be real!  Instead, they will come up with a new expansion pack that not only would add new lands to explore, it will add a lot of new gameplay features like playerhousing, mounted combat, new area's, a graphical update, maybe even guild pvp, the works.  Heck, they might even open up the sea for naval combat! 
    So in closing:  Blizzard wont be dethroned. In order to compete with the others they will create a new expansion pack that will add most of  the things that i have written above. Thus, creating a game that has just as much (if not more)  to offer then AOC and Warhammer combined! 

I care as much about WoW's popularity as about Eminem's new album popularity.

REALITY CHECK

• RuthgarRuthgar Member Posts: 730

Blizzard is going to revise the amount of time it takes to level from 1-60 with the next expansion. They had to do this to allow new people to get up to speed. They continue to have high numbers because of the low pc requirements and the easy learning curve. WoW does still try to cater to raiders, pvpers and casuals, but doesn't do a good job of it. New games like AOC and WAR won't try to be all things to all people, and won't have the numbers.

I do hate TBC and it made WoW unplayable for me. Since all my friends still play WoW, I'll keep playing until I can find somethign that will draw all of us away. Maybe the Wrath of the Lich King will change WoW to eliminate some of the rep grind, maybe it will make it worse.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Ruthgar
    Blizzard is going to revise the amount of time it takes to level from 1-60 with the next expansion. They had to do this to allow new people to get up to speed. They continue to have high numbers because of the low pc requirements and the easy learning curve. WoW does still try to cater to raiders, pvpers and casuals, but doesn't do a good job of it. New games like AOC and WAR won't try to be all things to all people, and won't have the numbers.
    I do hate TBC and it made WoW unplayable for me. Since all my friends still play WoW, I'll keep playing until I can find somethign that will draw all of us away. Maybe the Wrath of the Lich King will change WoW to eliminate some of the rep grind, maybe it will make it worse.

this is pretty much the way i feel and the position i am in. i doubt they will get rid of rep grinding, it is a much needed time sink to keep their players playing the game until their next expansion comes out.

i don't think rep grinding is all that bad of a thing, its not like you are forced to do it but if you do it can get you useful items.

i just wish they would address the pvp aspect of the game and stop using that half ass honor system they have now. why not come out with a pvp-centric expansion since the last one was pve-centric?

• TenebrosoTenebroso Member Posts: 262

Okay, i'm hearing all this talk about how World of Warcraft is going to lose its position as the number one mmo of all times because of games such as Age of Conan and Warhammer.  To be honest, i find that statement to be absolutely ridiculous.
    Blizzard is a company just like anny other, it needs to be able to compete with other games that developers are releasing, their reason of existence is profit, period.  If we look at games such as WAR and AOC, we can see that those games have some verry neat feautures like mounted combat, player housing,  Ships, etc etc.  Blizzard knows damn well that they will have to keep up with this to stay in the loop so they undoubtly will add some of these features into WOW.  That's not copying, it's called the evolution of the genre (and business strategy).
    As a matter of fact, i'm sure that the BC wasnt such a big deal because of this. Blizzard is aware of the comming competition and they didnt want to shoot all of their gunpowder at once.
    Seriously, everyone who's into marketing knows that big companies simply wont let go of a proven, money making concept. Simply dropping WoW would be the most stupid thing blizzard could ever do, they are making  hundreds of millions of dollars with this game, be real!  Instead, they will come up with a new expansion pack that not only would add new lands to explore, it will add a lot of new gameplay features like playerhousing, mounted combat, new area's, a graphical update, maybe even guild pvp, the works.  Heck, they might even open up the sea for naval combat! 
    So in closing:  Blizzard wont be dethroned. In order to compete with the others they will create a new expansion pack that will add most of  the things that i have written above. Thus, creating a game that has just as much (if not more)  to offer then AOC and Warhammer combined! 

*reaches into his pocket and takes out a Large Shield of Forum Protection:  +20 flameresistance 
                                                                                                                 +20 Mental Strength
                                                                                                                 +40 forum  invincibility *    
    MAN you are a FREAKIN GENIOUS!!!!!

PLZ SOMEONE MAKE THIS GUY THE CEO OF BLIZZARD!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• tikitiki Member Posts: 395

right when I read "anny" in the OP I stoped taking it seriously

East Carolina University, Computer Science BS, 2011
    --------------------
    Current game: DAOC

Games played and quit: L2, PlanetSide, RF Online, GuildWars, SWG, COH/COV, Vanguard, LOTRO, WoW, WW2 Online, FFXI, Auto-Assault, EVE Online, ShadowBane, RYL, Rappelz, Last Chaos, Myst Online, POTBS, EQ2, Warhammer Online, AoC, Aion, Champions Online, Star Trek Online, Allods, Darkfall.

Waiting on: Earthrise

Names: Citio, Goldie, Sportacus

• theowner1theowner1 Member Posts: 18

WoW will stay on top because we live in an egotistical and materialistic world and as far as MMOs go WoW does the best job at giving jobless losers the ability to be recognized and admired based on how much shit they have in a online game....

• tenthringtenthring Member Posts: 173

Originally posted by theowner1

WoW will stay on top because we live in an egotistical and materialistic world and as far as MMOs go WoW does the best job at giving jobless losers the ability to be recognized and admired based on how much shit they have in a online game....
    Bingo

This is why the gear curve will never flatten, and we will see constant rapid gear inflation.

• XavierxxXavierxx Member Posts: 251

wows a gr8 mmo (excpety for pointless grinding)

but i dont play it no more

tabula rasa is the new mmo thats going to be taking my 15$ a month away cuase i want something different

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by theowner1

LOL this crude generalization goes for almost any current mmog, but don't tell that to the gold sellers, hey are somehow making a killing of these "jobless losers".

Originally posted by tiki

English is not my native language so yes, you might encounter some spelling errors in my writings. For what it's worth, i corrected the mistake... think you can begin taking it seriously now then?

Oh wait, my bad... you were probably just looking for something to ridicule me in order to trivialize my message. How very trollish.

• CelestianCelestian Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Blizzard has their head so far up in the clouds I can't imagine they see anything but the red of china right now.

I doubt they care one bit about Warhammer or AoC. Just like Verant back in the day they think they are the king and will rule indefinitely.

• snipergsniperg Member Posts: 863

WoW as it is now it has the lion's shares of the mmo scene. The strategy that the company seems to follow so far with TBC is to make the game pure grind without being by default a raiding game like the game was pre TBC.

I disagree with the OP. No Blizzard will not add housing or anything that could affect or change in any way the game as it is. It may add some novelty things but that's all. Neither will change or restructure the PvP system. Actually it won't change anything other the level and items dropped.

WoW will be as hard to fall as Diablo in that aspect. Mainly because the base concept is the same. Grind, level, items. Everything else exist to help that cause. Same for its PvE same for its PvP. So no it won't lose soon its market share like diablo still has active online players.

But it will have the same attrition as any other long standing MMO game especially if it continues with the same policy of items/grinding

A friend is not him who provides support during your failures.A friend is the one that cheers you during your successes.

• weslubowweslubow Member UncommonPosts: 163

World of Warcraft is the mother of all mmo's? How do you figure? Lineage was so popular in South Korea that every third person in the country was playing it. There are 49 million people in S. Korea. That is over 16 million players. Lineage is available to play all over the globe.

English is not my native language so yes, you might encounter some spelling errors in my writings. For what it's worth, i corrected the mistake... think you can begin taking it seriously now then?

Oh wait, my bad... you were probably just looking for something to ridicule me in order to trivialize my message. How very trollish.

how trollish? and your whole post wasnt so very trollish? saying that a nearly 3 year old game will be able to keep up the numbers it has is pretty trollish to me.

Everyone plays WoW now because there is nothing else to play, everyone wants something new, all POTBS, WAR, or AOC needs to do is be at least just as fun as WoW and everyone will switch just because its whats new, and not what they have been playing for 3 or more years.

When a friend leaves WoW, a friend will follow, and when he leaves, another friend will follow.

--------------------

Games played and quit: L2, PlanetSide, RF Online, GuildWars, SWG, COH/COV, Vanguard, LOTRO, WoW, WW2 Online, FFXI, Auto-Assault, EVE Online, ShadowBane, RYL, Rappelz, Last Chaos, Myst Online, POTBS, EQ2, Warhammer Online, AoC, Aion, Champions Online, Star Trek Online, Allods, Darkfall.

• Little-NemoLittle-Nemo Member Posts: 110

I left WoW after two years, and though I am sure I may go back to it at some point I am not missing it now.

Iv also even heard rumors that the new  WoW expansion will be released on the day of WAR's release, just so maybe they can stop mythics income for a week or 2

--------------------

• gamerman98gamerman98 Member UncommonPosts: 807

Well im not really cheering for any game at this point. I mean as for WoW, sure its first year it brought something new but now its just a waste of time grinding all those lvls and getting the same gear everyone has. Plus the community is still the worst i have ever seen, and this new expansion will only make things worse when we will have 9 million Death Knights running around competing to see who is better. Blizzard cant really do anything right at this point, like for instance the seige weapons. 2 years ago in their "Under develpment" section on their website they had the idea of battleground seige weapons. It takes them that long to decide that for the 2nd expansion they will be able to bring them out. They treat that like they made huge changes to the game engine when really it could have been implemented long ago. All they do is poor decision making and will continue to do so in the future.

how trollish? and your whole post wasnt so very trollish? saying that a nearly 3 year old game will be able to keep up the numbers it has is pretty trollish to me.

Everyone plays WoW now because there is nothing else to play, everyone wants something new, all POTBS, WAR, or AOC needs to do is be at least just as fun as WoW and everyone will switch just because its whats new, and not what they have been playing for 3 or more years.

When a friend leaves WoW, a friend will follow, and when he leaves, another friend will follow.

No, my post isn't trollish at all... i'm just explaining why i think WoW will be the biggest mmo for a long time to come without judging any other game. What has its age to do with it? Remember that we are talking about mmorpg's here, i think we can all name a few who've been around for almost ten years!  

"everyone plays WoW now because there is nothing else to play..."  okay, rest your eyes on THIS word. Now, move your eyes to the left. You see that big-ass list overthere? Believe it or not, but those are other games people can actually play besides wow! Or are you implying that wow is... dare i say it... the best that is currently around?

As for that friend-train argument;  people have been saying that on these forums for about 2 years now... so far it simply doesn't seem to be happening.  I'd rather stick with the facts instead of believing in some vague theory.

Remember that i'm not saying WoW will keep its current number of subscribers. Heck, they might lose a few hundred thousand, even a million... all i am saying is that wow will be the biggest of them all for a lóng time to come. I opened this thread in response to all the people here saying wow is about to die or will be dwarfed by games such as WAR.

yet, i have the feeling they will be announcing the 10 million mark in about a few months >.<

• DroniacDroniac Member UncommonPosts: 74

Blizzard is a company just like any other, it needs to be able to compete with other games that developers are releasing, their reason of existence is profit, period.  If we look at games such as WAR and AOC, we can see that those games have some very neat feautures like mounted combat, player housing,  Ships, etc etc.  Blizzard knows damn well that they will have to keep up with this to stay in the loop so they undoubtly will add some of these features into WOW.  That's not copying, it's called the evolution of the genre (and business strategy).

Was World of Warcraft your first MMORPG? Judging by your post it would appear so. You see, the features you're naming - and regarding as a manner of 'keeping up with the times' - are over a decade old. Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, Vanguard, etc. didn't invent them - they merely 'borrowed' them from older games. Horses, ships, player housing? Didn't Ultima Online (1997) already have all that and more? You can't really call such features an 'evolution of the genre' - when they've been a prominent part of the genre for over a decade - Blizzard merely chose to ignore them when they created WoW.

It's not like World of Warcraft will be the most popular MMORPG forever. It's ridiculous to state the contrary. Sure, for now the subscriber count is steadily increasing - and that will likely continue for many months to come - but eventually the majority of subscribers will get bored and find new games to play (or quit altogether). While you, Warblaze, might not like it - there are quite a few MMORPGs on the horizon that could look quite interesting to jaded WoW players... take Age of Conan, Aion or Guild Wars 2 for example.

Oh and English is not my native language either... so clearly that's no excuse for poor spelling.

Originally posted by Droniac

Blizzard is a company just like any other, it needs to be able to compete with other games that developers are releasing, their reason of existence is profit, period.  If we look at games such as WAR and AOC, we can see that those games have some very neat feautures like mounted combat, player housing,  Ships, etc etc.  Blizzard knows damn well that they will have to keep up with this to stay in the loop so they undoubtly will add some of these features into WOW.  That's not copying, it's called the evolution of the genre (and business strategy).

Was World of Warcraft your first MMORPG? Judging by your post it would appear so. You see, the features you're naming - and regarding as a manner of 'keeping up with the times' - are over a decade old. Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, Vanguard, etc. didn't invent them - they merely 'borrowed' them from older games. Horses, ships, player housing? Didn't Ultima Online (1997) already have all that and more? You can't really call such features an 'evolution of the genre' - when they've been a prominent part of the genre for over a decade - Blizzard merely chose to ignore them when they created WoW.

It's not like World of Warcraft will be the most popular MMORPG forever. It's ridiculous to state the contrary. Sure, for now the subscriber count is steadily increasing - and that will likely continue for many months to come - but eventually the majority of subscribers will get bored and find new games to play (or quit altogether). While you, Warblaze, might not like it - there are quite a few MMORPGs on the horizon that could look quite interesting to jaded WoW players... take Age of Conan, Aion or Guild Wars 2 for example.

Oh and English is not my native language either... so clearly that's no excuse for poor spelling.

Hehe, World of Warcraft isn't the first mmo i played. Just check some of my older posts :}  Anyway,  i am perfectly well aware of the fact that the things i am mentioning are over a decade old, but that is exactly the point i'm trying to make. What you call borrowing is really the standardization of features i'm talking about. Yes, Ultima Online had player housing and ships. Yet, how many games that are mentioned on this website included those things up until now? Certainly not a lot of them.  However, nowadays we can see these features becoming more and more common. Just think about AoC, VSOH, SWG, WAR, POTBS, etc, etc. This development forces other studios to also include these kinds of things. Who wants to play a mmorpg that has less to offer then the one standing next to it on the store shelves? A reason that explains the large gap between UO and contemporary games is the advancement of our technological capabilities. I do not think a lot of developers had the technological resources to implement those kinds of features into a 3D environment years ago.  That's why we are just now seeing an increase of things like player housing, ships and destroyable buildings. Blizzard - indeed - ignored them,  but the upcoming release of their next expansion proves my point: it forces others to implement the same things in order to stay competitive. This counts not only for Blizzard but for all major developing studios; thus, a evolution of the genre.  People fail to realize that this is something to be celebrated, instead of calling it stealing.

"but eventually the majority of subscribers will get bored and find new games to play (or quit altogether). While you, Warblaze, might not like it - there are quite a few MMORPGs on the horizon that could look quite interesting to jaded WoW players... take Age of Conan, Aion or Guild Wars 2 for example."

Of course WoW will die out eventually. I would be the last to state otherwise. For your information; i stopped playing WoW months ago. I am currently waiting for Fallen Earth to come out. Although i must say i am tempted to return to wow now with all the new things on the horizon, to be honest 

Oh and by the way, my spelling isn't thát bad is it? Seriously... please pm me with any suggestions you might have regarding my spelling. I'm always up for improvement or learning something new. (But don't mention the i and I stuff... i can't be arsed to caption it every single time :P )

No, my post isn't trollish at all... i'm just explaining why i think WoW will be the biggest mmo for a long time to come without judging any other game. What has its age to do with it? Remember that we are talking about mmorpg's here, i think we can all name a few who've been around for almost ten years!  
    "everyone plays WoW now because there is nothing else to play..."  okay, rest your eyes on THIS word. Now, move your eyes to the left. You see that big-ass list overthere? Believe it or not, but those are other games people can actually play besides wow! Or are you implying that wow is... dare i say it... the best that is currently around?
    As for that friend-train argument;  people have been saying that on these forums for about 2 years now... so far it simply doesn't seem to be happening.  I'd rather stick with the facts instead of believing in some vague theory.
    Remember that i'm not saying WoW will keep its current number of subscribers. Heck, they might lose a few hundred thousand, even a million... all i am saying is that wow will be the biggest of them all for a lóng time to come. I opened this thread in response to all the people here saying wow is about to die or will be dwarfed by games such as WAR.
    yet, i have the feeling they will be announcing the 10 million mark in about a few months >.<

"What has its age to do with it?"

I just told you what age has to do with it, people dont want to see the same thing for years, people do like change, a expansion pack isnt going to really give change the graphics will still be the same, the pvp will still be the same, it will just have a few more quests and a new island or 2.

"i think we can all name a few who've been around for almost ten years!  "

and all those games dont have the fraction of the players that they use to have, DAOC has the best pvp in any mmo out right now, but some people that play mmo's just for pvp are going to EQ2 and WoW and some even LOTRO, not because they are better, because they are newer.

"You see that big-ass list overthere? Believe it or not, but those are other games people can actually play besides wow! Or are you implying that wow is... dare i say it... the best that is currently around?"

All those games over there either suck or are 5+ years old and have been over played by people so they are sick of them, and omg how dare i say it, yes wow is the best game out right now just because its a few years younger than all of the older good games, its less worn out.  Vanguard would have taken a few of WoW's numbers if it was actually playable.  LOTRO did take a few away from WoW, but not for long since the PVP was a bust and you maxed out you level in a week, so after a week everyone was back to wow.

"As for that friend-train argument;"

Are you serious? thats what happened with almost all of DAOC, i cant speak for EQ because i dont know, but i an almost guarantee that is what happened with EQ's number loss.  In one situation  one of my freinds brother started to play wow, so my friend followed because hes always played what his brothers played, and a few months later that friend told another few of my friends to come and play so they did.

"I opened this thread in response to all the people here saying wow is about to die or will be dwarfed by games such as WAR."

Im not saying that the game will die, is daoc dead now? no it still has around 100,000 subscribers out of its original 250,000.  WoW will still keep a million or 2 of its die hard followers that will play wow no matter what for another 10 years.

--------------------