Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Online: Star Trek DVD Set to Include STO Preview

SzarkSzark News ManagerMember Posts: 4,420

The first season release of Star Trek: The Original Series on HD DVD is going to be full of enough extras to satiate the hungers of most Trek fans; and as a bonus for the MMO fan, it will include a preview of Star Trek Online.

Paramount Home Entertainment has announced the previously hinted-at newly remastered first season release of 'Star Trek: The Original Series' on HD DVD will occur on November 20 in a massive 10-disc Combo Format set. The studio did not mention a companion Blu-ray Disc release for the same date, though we suspect the series will bow in Blu sometime next year.

'Star Trek The Original Series: Season One' will be presented in 1.33:1 1080p video and Dolby TrueHD 5.1 audio. Extra features slated to appear on the high definition side of the discs include Starfleet Access - On-screen graphical interface allows viewers to access Picture in Picture video commentaries, comparisons of re-mastered vs. original effects, encyclopedic information (science, life forms, technology), episode trivia and more; Spacelift: Transporting Trek into the 21st Century; Billy Blackburn's Treasure Chest: Rare Home Movies and Special Memories; Interactive Enterprise Tour; and a Perpetual Entertainment's "Star Trek Online" MMO Game Preview. The remaining extra features were originally available on the standard DVD set and can be viewed in-full through the disc details below.

Get more information here.

Comments

• chriswsmchriswsm Member UncommonPosts: 383

HD DVD !?!?!?   Thought that was dodo territory.  BlueRay it and it should work out for the better (Spot the PS3 owner).

Either way I bet this demo is available for download sooner rather than later

I used to visit this site a lot however in recent years it has become the home of negative forum posts, illogical opinions and tantrums so I visit less often.

Played or Beta'd: UO / DAOC / Horizons / EQ2 / DDO / EVE / Archlord / PirateKingsOnline / Tabula Rasa / LOTRO / AOC / Champions / Darkfall / Mortal Online / DCUO / Rift / STO / SWTOR / TSW

• FireburstFireburst Member UncommonPosts: 200

nah I think blu ray will be as dead as betamax in two years time

• sai_borg_yajsai_borg_yaj Member Posts: 9

Oh my!  So many great games coming from Perpetual Entertainment! I can't wait to try this game out!

• KeoghKeogh Member Posts: 1,099

Originally posted by sai_borg_yaj

Oh my!  So many great games coming from Perpetual Entertainment! I can't wait to try this game out!

You're being sarcastic, right?

Two games (Gods & Heroes and Star Trek Online), is not "So many".

Gods & Heroes has had delay after delay and STO was announced back in September of 2004 for a 2007 retail release.

About three months or so ago, the PE STO team said that they were scraping all of their development work on STO up to this point and were taking a new direction. Its been in concept development for 3 years and the STO team is starting over. Don't expect this game to come out before 2010 if ever.

"Don't corpse-camp that idea. Its never gonna rez"
    Bladezz (The Guild)

• IijsIijs Member Posts: 457

The brand name has too much potenial to never come out. Won't be before 09-10 though. And it might not be PE.

• RomseRomse Member Posts: 198

Originally posted by Fireburst

nah I think blu ray will be as dead as betamax in two years time

I think both formats have no future.

They're more reminiscent of the mini-disc than the VHS/Betamax.

They both have failed to generate any significant numbers in sales.

I largely blame Sony for abandoning the consortium of companies they helped put together (the DVD Group) to come of with the original DVDs to try and corner the market once more with a media storage format.

In the end you'll have readers that do both... and no one will really care that these overly expensive formats can store 7x their movie content... or bring hi-res to their old 4:3 TVs

• chriswsmchriswsm Member UncommonPosts: 383

TBH I don't really care about which format carries forward.  DVD has been good enough for me since its introduction.  I have only 2 BluRay films and both were free with my PS3.  I might rent one once in a while.   I think sales of the Star trek series on HDDVD will be disappointing and I doubt if anyone will buy the series just for the STO demo.

STO might turn out to be excellent in the same way I might turn out to win the lottery.

I used to visit this site a lot however in recent years it has become the home of negative forum posts, illogical opinions and tantrums so I visit less often.

Played or Beta'd: UO / DAOC / Horizons / EQ2 / DDO / EVE / Archlord / PirateKingsOnline / Tabula Rasa / LOTRO / AOC / Champions / Darkfall / Mortal Online / DCUO / Rift / STO / SWTOR / TSW

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Keogh

Gods & Heroes has had delay after delay and STO was announced back in September of 2004 for a 2007 retail release.

About three months or so ago, the PE STO team said that they were scraping all of their development work on STO up to this point and were taking a new direction. Its been in concept development for 3 years and the STO team is starting over. Don't expect this game to come out before 2010 if ever.

Heheh, who wants to bet, the special STO footage is either the concept they scrapped, or some quickly made drawings.

• AirspellAirspell Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,391
    Originally posted by Zorvan

Heheh, who wants to bet, the special STO footage is either the concept they scrapped, or some quickly made drawings.

I bet you win a date with Picard , during which he tells you to pre-order the game NOW !! Engage !!!

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Airspell

Originally posted by Zorvan

I bet you win a date with Picard , during which he tells you to pre-order the game NOW !! Engage !!!

Make it Troi, and I'll at least not snicker so much at this game. But a pre-order? I wouldn't do that for the Enterprise herself.

• JakletJaklet Member Posts: 244

This guy is so full of it, I defy him to find where PE said they are scrapping all the work they've done and taking it in a new directon. ALL they said was that they've changed the visual style of the game.

But eh, not a surprise to see Keogh pop up in another STO thread to trash PE.

• FlummoxedFlummoxed Member Posts: 591

His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few... or the one.