Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning: Greenskin Starting Area Description

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

A while back, MMORPG.com ran the first part of an interview with Mark Davis and Steve Perlins from EA Mythic. Yesterday, MMORPG.com presented you with an overview of your first few hours as a Dwarf. Today, we bring you the conclusion of the interview where Mark brings us up to speed on the first few starting hours in the life of a Greenskin.

"When we first got into this... revising these areas, we were largely happy with the Greenskin area. But, after we had really put our resources into re-doing the Dwarf area and re-imagining that whole place, we looked at the Greenskin area and weren't that happy anymore. We though 'ya know, we can do Greenskins better."

Personally, I like the idea of developers overhauling something they don't think is quite as good as it could be. In today's MMO world, there are too often complaints that games are rushed to market without being completed, let alone polished and re-tooled.

Read the whole article here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• Dregard44Dregard44 Member Posts: 103

Sounds like fun to me!

A Legend was Born

• Darkz0rDarkz0r Member Posts: 78

Damn, it does sounds awesome.

Let's hope it is !

• SathirSathir Member Posts: 161

Originally posted by Darkz0r

Damn, it does sounds awesome.
    Let's hope it is !

I'm sure it will be

-----------------------------------------
    WAR is coming, are you prepared?
    -----------------------------------------

• moostownmoostown Member CommonPosts: 377

Is it just me or does the game look lifeless and lacks the atmosphere that games like WOW have?

• lordsn0wlordsn0w Member Posts: 99
    Originally posted by moostown

Is it just me or does the game look lifeless and lacks the atmosphere that games like WOW have?

How do you see it as lifeless and what do you mean by atmosphere? ( not trying to fight, just want some clarification) although remember that it is still in early dev.

• VegettaVegetta Member Posts: 438

Yeah...it's just you

• sai_borg_yajsai_borg_yaj Member Posts: 9

Well, I understand that the game is in early beta... but this area of the game doesn't sway me very much.  I mean I appreciate the art that is involved to creating the area, but it nothing exciting.

• treefittytreefitty Member Posts: 260

Wonder if the Devs read these forums? If they do:

Please! Make the Greenskin side and the Dwarf side equally enjoyable.

WOW COMPARISON ALERT!!!!!!!

Alliance cities were very detailed and had alot more to them that Horde Cities. (IMO)

Alliance questlines and starting areas had more depth to them. (IMO)

I played both sides and was shocked to see the lack of thought towards horde compared to alliance side. (IMO)

WOW COMPARISON OVER!!!!!!!!

Disclaimer: In know way do I want to compare the game to WoW, but I wanted to throw this in so they don't make the same mistake I think blizzard made.  I look forward to WAR because its an original game.

• RomseRomse Member Posts: 198

Right now I like the Greenskin characters and zone better... better than what we saw in the previous part of the interview where they displayed screens from the Dwarf starter zone...

On the Dwarf side everything is very blocky and they don't look at all like they concept art... the Dwarf concept art is truely amazing... some of the best I've seen ever. Then they go ahead and pull out octogonal tubes that are supposed to be cannons?...

The dwarf faces look like they're painted on a flat surface.

I hope the screens we saw were prior to the revamp... not after... otherwise they need to put even more work into it.

One thing I realized when looing at the orc area however is that they could use some visual effect for objects in a distance... a light fog... something that makes objects further away appear whiter... this way when you look at a scene like a forest or mountains... everything doesnt just appear to be the same color and texture... that has a cheap feel to it ...with a fog effect you can make things out from one another better... it's a simple effect that adds a lot of depth.

...They need some of that pretty much everywhere I think. In the dwarf area it would add perspective to the enormous statues... it's something you barely detect consciously... but if you stand next to a 100 meter statue... the top of it would be a little faded into fog... meaning a little whiter and less detailed... than the enormous feet next to which you'd be standing.

They sort of have a distance effect where you just stop seeing things in the horizon... but I'm talking about objects in the field of view...

In these swamp pics... everything seems to be the exact same color... like a big green filter... or a big brown filter in other parts... maybe they should hire someone who's got cinematography experience... like especially someone who's dealt with setting colors in port-production movie making...

• arkanevarkanev Member UncommonPosts: 82

Originally posted by treefitty

Wonder if the Devs read these forums? If they do:

Please! Make the Greenskin side and the Dwarf side equally enjoyable.
    WOW COMPARISON ALERT!!!!!!!
    Alliance cities were very detailed and had alot more to them that Horde Cities. (IMO)
    Alliance questlines and starting areas had more depth to them. (IMO)
    I played both sides and was shocked to see the lack of thought towards horde compared to alliance side. (IMO)
    WOW COMPARISON OVER!!!!!!!!
    Disclaimer: In know way do I want to compare the game to WoW, but I wanted to throw this in so they don't make the same mistake I think blizzard made.  I look forward to WAR because its an original game.
    People who tend to compare can never create.. they just try improve. And IMO I heard enough about WoW so stop taking it as a reference. WoW is only an easy step-in MMORPG. Otherwise is not that deep or fun.

So please stop comparing to WoW.

• arkanevarkanev Member UncommonPosts: 82

No I think the problem is that most people knew the Warcraft Lore before they jumped into WoW.

When it come to Warhammer, many people don't know the HUGE amount of lore there is in WH.

I think the "atmosphere" you talk about is knowing what happened.Cause WoW never got any pressure or stress or Atmosphere ingame (check AQ opening, no consequences to open it or not)

And again please stop comparing to WoW, if you still need to compare it to WoW why don't you simply keep playing it?

• ormstungaormstunga Member Posts: 736
    Originally posted by Romse

Right now I like the Greenskin characters and zone better... better than what we saw in the previous part of the interview where they displayed screens from the Dwarf starter zone...
    On the Dwarf side everything is very blocky and they don't look at all like they concept art... the Dwarf concept art is truely amazing... some of the best I've seen ever. Then they go ahead and pull out octogonal tubes that are supposed to be cannons?...
    The dwarf faces look like they're painted on a flat surface.
    I hope the screens we saw were prior to the revamp... not after... otherwise they need to put even more work into it.
    One thing I realized when looing at the orc area however is that they could use some visual effect for objects in a distance... a light fog... something that makes objects further away appear whiter... this way when you look at a scene like a forest or mountains... everything doesnt just appear to be the same color and texture... that has a cheap feel to it ...with a fog effect you can make things out from one another better... it's a simple effect that adds a lot of depth.
    ...They need some of that pretty much everywhere I think. In the dwarf area it would add perspective to the enormous statues... it's something you barely detect consciously... but if you stand next to a 100 meter statue... the top of it would be a little faded into fog... meaning a little whiter and less detailed... than the enormous feet next to which you'd be standing.
    They sort of have a distance effect where you just stop seeing things in the horizon... but I'm talking about objects in the field of view...

In these swamp pics... everything seems to be the exact same color... like a big green filter... or a big brown filter in other parts... maybe they should hire someone who's got cinematography experience... like especially someone who's dealt with setting colors in port-production movie making...

I think gameplay is what will determine if ppl will stay with this or not, but thx anyways for your insight 

• aqeeaqee Member Posts: 40

Originally posted by Romse

On the Dwarf side everything is very blocky The dwarf faces look like they're painted on a flat surface.

They haven't added any lightning effects. Everything is just basic graphic, with lightning engine on you see will see shadows and things look more alive.

MMO's Played: 20 , Closed Beta: 9 , Open Beta: 3 , Currently:Warhammer Beta
    Guild: Futilez

• AirspellAirspell Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,391

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

P.S. They really nailed the Warhammer Orc look in this game, really pleased with it.

• MuffinManXIVMuffinManXIV Member Posts: 127

I really hope they do some polishing with these public quests...  The way the developers present the game makes me really want to get in there and start playing.  The way the video presents the game, the two public quests they have been going on and on about how awesome they are, looks very dull, lifeless, and boring.  Is it just me?

• neosurfeurneosurfeur Member UncommonPosts: 193

I understand you this vidéo :you post its very very very  ugly...

( this vidéo im talking about : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l27xKDCV2S0 )

• sirespersiresper Member Posts: 317

I liked the Dwarf Starting Area part better. It seemed to be far more detailed and interesting.

But maybe I'm just biased cause I planned to play Order primarily.

Still good though. And its always great because mythic has been so open about sharing information. They are confident about what they have and it shows.

• FlummoxedFlummoxed Member Posts: 591

Originally posted by MuffinManXIV

The way the video presents the game, ... looks very dull, lifeless, and boring. 
    Probably because it doesn't convey the sense you get when you're actually IN the game yourself, frantically running around yelling and fighting like a madman, trying to coordinate your actions with the other players.
  • moostownmoostown Member CommonPosts: 377

Originally posted by arkanev

No I think the problem is that most people knew the Warcraft Lore before they jumped into WoW.

When it come to Warhammer, many people don't know the HUGE amount of lore there is in WH.

I think the "atmosphere" you talk about is knowing what happened.Cause WoW never got any pressure or stress or Atmosphere ingame (check AQ opening, no consequences to open it or not)

And again please stop comparing to WoW, if you still need to compare it to WoW why don't you simply keep playing it?

I can compare it to WOW if i want :S I'm making a point and WOW is the obvious choice to use seeing as it has atmosphere.

• rawrozorrawrozor Member Posts: 42

If you are saying that WoW has better graphics then WarHammer then WarHammer must....uhh...expletive. ;)

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by arkanev

I can compare it to WOW if i want :S I'm making a point and WOW is the obvious choice to use seeing as it has atmosphere.

I'm more inclined to think you can only compare it to WoW because that's the only MMO you've ever played (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). There are *tons* of other high-fantasy (Elves, Orcs, etc) MMOs to compare it to - just look at the game list on this very site. Honestly, WoW never had a sense of atmosphere to me - always kept me very well aware that I was controlling a character in a game. So I guess it's all pretty subjective, isn't it?

And I can understand the frustration of people getting sick of the comparisons to WoW... It's as though some people think WoW's the only MMO ever created and compare everything to it - even where comparison is absurd. I've literally read posts of people asking if Eve Online was anything like WoW... I've also read posts where people are arguing for more WoW like elements to be added to it. That's just ridiculous. Play WoW for what WoW is. Play and judge WAR, or any other game, for what they are.

Frankly, I think it's a big reason why many people can't get into a different game... They can't let go of one game when moving on to another... If you're not going to go into a new game with an open mind, and are forever going to compare it to your former one... may as well just stick to the former, because you're never going to give the new game a fair chance.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• OverpowerOverpower Member Posts: 105

WAR is just gonna be flagged by the critics as another WoW copycat just like LOTRO. Hey, I'm just letting yall know. If you don't believe me, just go read the reviews/previews/news...Gamespot, IGN, 1up, Xplay, PCgamer, etc.

To Crybabies: Uhm...if a game pisses you off, don't play it - duh.
    To Crybabies - Part 2: If you want a game to suit all your needs, start off by going to college to become a Game Designer.
    Emo User Award: busdriver, for his love of Britney Spears - The Prize - Winning Posts

• neosurfeurneosurfeur Member UncommonPosts: 193

WAR is just gonna be flagged by the critics as another WoW copycat just like LOTRO. Hey, I'm just letting yall know. If you don't believe me, just go read the reviews/previews/news...Gamespot, IGN, 1up, Xplay, PCgamer, etc.

You right !

• RomseRomse Member Posts: 198

Originally posted by Overpower

Even if it were true... what's your point?

The heck with it... I'm done explaining to people how Warhammer is the rich IP the original Warcraft stole from or how this is more of a copy of the gameplay from Dark Age of Camelot... which this company made and came out prior to WoW... or how not "WoW clone" is anymore a WoW Clone than WoW is an EQ Clone...

Let me speak in a language you'll understand.

WAR is a WOW CLONE... it exactly like WOW but better and newer!!!

Think of WoW... now look at it and see how it's the the faggy little brother of a 20x cooler bigger brother..

You liked WOW? You'll love this cause it's like WoW but you can level up doing PvP... also the PvP in WAR is not an after thought... the whole game is balanced around it!... so you get REAL class balance even if you just want to PvE!!!

In WAR ... EVERYONE fights... you don't stand back and heal and become the number 1faggy  target... you're as badass as the next guy.

Warhammer is over 20 years old... it ALREADY has the RTS games, TCG, Board games, miniatures, RPG... etc

In WAR you look badass... not like a freakin fruitcake...

-In WAR... Dwarves are cool.

-WAR is is like WOW but doesnt have gnomes... (how gay do you have to be to play that!!!)

-Undeads? fuck undeads... who wants to be a freakin zombie? You wanna be a Chaos Lord... the mudda of a bad asses!!!!

Time to move on to the next gen WoW !!!!!!!!!! That's the WARzilla!!!!

• bobtheblobbobtheblob Member Posts: 135

Originally posted by Overpower

oh the same preveiws that have been praising it? PCGamer gave it best MMO on show at a games convention? Every preveiw i have read is positive

"The public quest system allows large-scale interaction without the need of actually organizing a large group beforehand. It's a neat system that allows you to quickly get into a big quest without a lot of initial hassle. If EA Mythic can populate the game with much more examples of these quests, along with all the other content expected of an MMORPG, then it will have a much more interesting game on its hands. " Gamespot

"Scheduled for release later this year, Warhammer Online is really starting to stand out from the crowded field of fantasy MMOs. Depending on how well the realm vs. realm action comes together and how clearly it's presented to players, Warhammer Online definitely has more potential than most of its competitors. We'll bring you more information as we get it." IGN

Hmm loooks pretty bad to me :P