Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Drugs are bad right ?

AirspellAirspell Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,391

So why is this drug legal ?  sedeffects.ytmnd.com/

Now I'm no drug advocate, not my cup of tea, dislike most drug users.  The hypocrytical nature of the drug industry in the US is however very disturbing to me.

Comments

• gpettgpett Member Posts: 1,105

Drugs are legal if the government and pharmaceutical companies make tons of money off them.

They bust the people using drugs that arn't taxed.

• VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

ya but pot out of this arguement there is no arguement left for heroin, coke, meth, acid, LSD, as far as medicinal value goes.

Pot their is some left but it is quickly loosing fuel to the its too much strain on the legal system arguement.

But Prescription drugs 99.9% of the time do not have a seriously harmful effect and do some good.

But yes i do disagree with the way medicine is produced, distributed, and the amount of sheer profit in it.

that industry and HMO's in general are corrupt beyond belief.

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

• AirspellAirspell Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,391

99.9 % of the time eh ? Most prescription drugs have very harmful sideffects, I know, my mom has been prescribed a ton over the years for her pain.  Your statistic is the opposite of reality and obviously made up few minutes ago by you :) 

• VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

Originally posted by Airspell

99.9 % of the time eh ? Most prescription drugs have very harmful sideffects, I know, my mom has been prescribed a ton over the years for her pain.  Your statistic is the opposite of reality and obviously made up few minutes ago by you :) 
    but the actual statistics cant be all too far off, because they are still sold, and good doctors still prescribe them to cure people.

I dont believe most prescription drugs have harmful side effects since certain people started prescribing Mr. Happy pills and anti depressants without so much as 5 minutes most of the time.

Kemo drugs will always have harmful side effects, but conventional anti biotics are as a general rule safe.

Most of the time when prescription medicine goes wrong it is due to unknown pre existed medical conditions.

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

• ProdudeProdude Member Posts: 353

Ritalin....for "hyper" young chilfren...

Stunts their growth by 15% by age 12. Was just discovered recently.

What other unknown effects might his "drug" cause to these kids?

And it's LEGAL.

Just One example.there are many many more.

99.9% is a far cry from accurate.

"Ignorance is Bliss"

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

Originally posted by Produde

And it's LEGAL.
    "Ignorance is Bliss"

Why someone would put their kids on Ritalin is confusing to me. Kids are supposed to be hyper and act like kids. I would never put my kids on drugs unless their life depended on it. Anything that alters a persons brain chemistry especially while they are still growing and developing is not cool.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

That is why I try not to take any meds except aspirin. Many problems can be cured with lifestyle changes. I had high blood pressure (195/110) and doc prescribed me Diavan. Made me feel like crap so I stopped taking it. What did I do to help? Lowered sodium intake and switched to kosher or sea salt instead of table salt. Table salt is processed and, like all processed food, is bad for you. My point - meds help treat the symptoms and not the actual problem.

• lomillerlomiller Member Posts: 1,810
    Originally posted by Dekron

That is why I try my not to take any meds except aspirin. Many problems can be cured with lifestyle changes. I had high blood pressure (195/110) and doc prescribed me Diavan. Made me feel like crap so I stopped taking it. What did I do to help? Lowered sodium intake and switched to kosher or sea salt instead of table salt. Table salt is processed and, like all processed food, is bad for you. My point - meds help treat the symptoms and not the actual problem.

Some address the symptom some address the problem, the fact that your high blood pressure was self induced does not mean that everyone’s is.  Even those people for whom the high blood pressure is caused by their own lifestyle generally will not change that lifestyle and therefore are better withy the medication then without. 

Most doctors will attempt to deal with high blood pressure via diet and exercise first unless it’s so bad there is an immediate risk and will not want to continue the drug longer then necessary.  

Side effects are ever-present, and usually the stronger the drug the greater the side effects. But, for a drug to hit the market you must document what these are and show that the chances of them occurring are either small or the positive effect outweighs the negative.  

At the end of the day the patient in consultation with their physician has the choice about whether to take the drug or not. They take the medication because the benefits outweigh the risks, and their health would suffer if they stopped.  
  • porgieporgie Member Posts: 1,516

Originally posted by Vergeltung

ya but pot out of this arguement there is no arguement left for heroin, coke, meth, acid, LSD, as far as medicinal value goes.
    Pot their is some left but it is quickly loosing fuel to the its too much strain on the legal system arguement.
    But Prescription drugs 99.9% of the time do not have a seriously harmful effect and do some good.
    But yes i do disagree with the way medicine is produced, distributed, and the amount of sheer profit in it.
    Actually...

I get these seasonal headaches called cluster headaches.  Anyone who has them will tell you that they have to be the absolute worse pain anyone could feel.  And there is medical evidence to back this level of pain up.  They hurt like you wouldn't believe.

Since I get them, I follow the research that is going on with them and their treatment.  It seems that they are finding out LSD is good at treating these headaches.  And trust me, if it works then I will take it when these headaches come on.  You can't begin to imagine the pain.

Here, check it out. 

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cluster_headache#Non-established_and_research_approaches

-----------------------
    </OBAMA>

• RecantRecant Member UncommonPosts: 1,586

IMO in the far future even hardcore drug use will become a socially acceptable every day activity to enhance ourselves.  Maybe not in our own life time, but if you look back at how Western society has become more liberal over the years, it's not out of the realms of possibility.  Our cultures are so different now than they were 50 years ago, I forsee that this trend of change and the breaking of taboos to reach a point where you might even be able to buy coke on the internet.  I can understand that a lot of people will doubt this, it's just something that I personally think is likely to happen.

And us grumbly old folks will complain about the decline of society, much like the grumblies before us, and the grumblies before them.  Now don't get me wrong, drug abuse is a terrible problem and it ruins lives, but the practice of artificially altering your mood and perception by drugs will become less of a taboo in the future I am confident in predicting.  Many Sci-Fi novels have characters enhancing themselves with stims and implants as a part of their daily lives.  Obviously drugs are not 'all bad', but I'm sure the law will relax in time from the complete ban of narcotics to limited use - of newer and 'safer' drugs at the very least.

This isn't a pro-drug use post; I've been indoctrinated at an early into the terrible effects of drugs - so much so I become physically ill with the thought of taking drugs.  I was just musing how things might be in the distant future.

/ramble mode off

Still waiting for your Holy Grail MMORPG? Interesting...

Originally posted by lomiller

That is why I try my not to take any meds except aspirin. Many problems can be cured with lifestyle changes. I had high blood pressure (195/110) and doc prescribed me Diavan. Made me feel like crap so I stopped taking it. What did I do to help? Lowered sodium intake and switched to kosher or sea salt instead of table salt. Table salt is processed and, like all processed food, is bad for you. My point - meds help treat the symptoms and not the actual problem.

the fact that your high blood pressure was self induced does not mean that everyone’s is. 

It's not self induced. It runs in the family. My dad has been on blood pressure meds for years and I had him switch to Kosher and his BP went down. He wasn't over zealous with the salt, nor was I. It was just used in cooking.

• stickmstickm Member Posts: 219

Originally posted by Produde

And it's LEGAL.
    "Ignorance is Bliss"
    Maybe its over prescribed where u are but in my whole life ive only known one person who was perscribed Ritalin and that was because he was phycopathic and had like a 24/7 teachers assistant with him and was physically violent. Their parents must be messed up drug addicts if they got prescribe drugs for their kids just because they are hyper. I hate people who say they have ADD or ADHD... there is no valid testing for ADD or ADHD, they are just a bunch of symptons grouped up and put under a single name 
  • GoluhGoluh Member Posts: 374

newsflash, some drugs are legal in netherlands

• War_EagleWar_Eagle Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 472

Originally posted by Recant

IMO in the far future even hardcore drug use will become a socially acceptable every day activity to enhance ourselves.  Maybe not in our own life time, but if you look back at how Western society has become more liberal over the years, it's not out of the realms of possibility.  Our cultures are so different now than they were 50 years ago, I forsee that this trend of change and the breaking of taboos to reach a point where you might even be able to buy coke on the internet.  I can understand that a lot of people will doubt this, it's just something that I personally think is likely to happen.
    And us grumbly old folks will complain about the decline of society, much like the grumblies before us, and the grumblies before them.  Now don't get me wrong, drug abuse is a terrible problem and it ruins lives, but the practice of artificially altering your mood and perception by drugs will become less of a taboo in the future I am confident in predicting.  Many Sci-Fi novels have characters enhancing themselves with stims and implants as a part of their daily lives.  Obviously drugs are not 'all bad', but I'm sure the law will relax in time from the complete ban of narcotics to limited use - of newer and 'safer' drugs at the very least.
    This isn't a pro-drug use post; I've been indoctrinated at an early into the terrible effects of drugs - so much so I become physically ill with the thought of taking drugs.  I was just musing how things might be in the distant future.
    /ramble mode off
    Over indulgence of drugs for recreational use should never be socially acceptable.  Anyone who falls into this addiction should know that society frowns on this behavior.

However, I do not think this should be a legal matter at all.  The government telling someone what to do with their own body seems so wrong and strange to me.  If it's a societal problem then let communities offer help to these people when they want it.  But the government telling me what to do with my body or telling anyone else what to do is possessing too much control.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

All Rights Reversed

• //\//\oo//\//\oo Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,767

That is why I try not to take any meds except aspirin. Many problems can be cured with lifestyle changes. I had high blood pressure (195/110) and doc prescribed me Diavan. Made me feel like crap so I stopped taking it. What did I do to help? Lowered sodium intake and switched to kosher or sea salt instead of table salt. Table salt is processed and, like all processed food, is bad for you. My point - meds help treat the symptoms and not the actual problem.
     Holy crap.. now that is high. My bloodpressure is borderline of requiring medicaiton at 120/90 +/- 5. I guess I'll try that as well with the kosher salt.

This is a sequence of characters intended to produce some profound mental effect, but it has failed.

Originally posted by //\//\oo

Holy crap.. now that is high. My bloodpressure is borderline of requiring medicaiton at 120/90 +/- 5. I guess I'll try that as well with the kosher salt.

Don't use as much as you would with table salt. A little kosher salt goes a long way.

• PyritePyrite Member Posts: 309

Stop pretending your drugs are morally superior to my drugs, because you get yours at a store. This week, they released the autopsy report on Anna Nicole Smith, and the cause of death was what I always thought it was. Mad Cow.

No, it turns out she had nine different prescription drugs in her. Which, in the medical field, is known as the "Full Limbaugh."

They opened her up and a Walgreen's jumped out. Anti-depressants, anti-anxiety pills, sleeping pills, sedatives, Valium, methadone. This woman was killed by her doctor, who is a glorified bartender. And I'm not going to say his name, but only because, a) I don't want to get sued, and b) my back is killing me.

Now, this month marks the 35th anniversary of a famous government report. I was 16 in 1972, and I remember how excited we were when Nixon's much ballyhooed national commission on drug abuse came out and said pot should be legalized! It was a moment of great hope for common sense. And then, just like Bush did last year with the Iraq Study Group, Nixon took the report and threw it in the garbage. And from there, the '70s went right into disco and colored underpants.

When are we going to get it? That America's most dangerous drugs are the legal ones in our medicine cabinets, while some of the most benign ones are growing under a heat lamp in my dressing room. I joke! I joke, of course. But, 40% of the U.S. population has tried pot. That's 94 million Americans. Or, as I call them, "my base."

Are we all criminals? No. We're not. But it is criminal when a certain person borrows and doesn't return another person's diamond-encrusted bong, Woody!

Now, this week, in The American Scientist - a magazine George Bush wouldn't read if he got food poisoning in Mexico and it was the only thing he could reach from the toilet --described a study done in England that measured the lethality of various drugs, and found tobacco and alcohol far worse than pot, LSD or Ecstasy, which pretty much mirrors my own experiments in this same area.

The Beatles took LSD and wrote "Sgt. Pepper." Anna Nicole Smith took legal drugs and couldn't remember the number for "911."

In conclusion, I wish I had more time to go into the fact that the drug war has always been about keeping black men from voting by finding out what they're addicted to and making it illegal. It's a miracle our government hasn't outlawed fat, white women.

But...it's about 8:55 here in California, and it's almost time for me to take my "medicine." I leave with one request: would someone please just make a bumper sticker that says, "I'm a stoner, and I vote"?

www.hbo.com/billmaher/new_rules/20070330.html

The most important part of reading is reading between the lines.

• gpettgpett Member Posts: 1,105

Originally posted by porgie

Originally posted by Vergeltung

Actually...

I get these seasonal headaches called cluster headaches.  Anyone who has them will tell you that they have to be the absolute worse pain anyone could feel.  And there is medical evidence to back this level of pain up.  They hurt like you wouldn't believe.

Since I get them, I follow the research that is going on with them and their treatment.  It seems that they are finding out LSD is good at treating these headaches.  And trust me, if it works then I will take it when these headaches come on.  You can't begin to imagine the pain.

Here, check it out. 

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cluster_headache#Non-established_and_research_approaches

Yes, and some antidepressants counteract the halucinogenic effects of LSD.  So you could have your Headache cure with some sort of coctail of drugs.

Disclaimer: I could be completely wrong.  I am basing this off of an Episode of House M.D.  He does the above to himself to counteract a headache in the tv show.

• In the United States, drugs are classified into seven schedules, 7 being over the counter, 1 being illegal. A drug is bumped up in severity on that list based on the danger in taking the drug and its potential for addiction, as well as its pharmaceutical usefulness. Schedule 2 drugs, which are legal, are some of the most potent and addictive compounds on earth. Oxycontin, for instance, is roughly as potent as heroin, is incredibly addictive, and is very dangerous to take if you don't have the proper instructions. But it has a medical use, it's spectacular at dealing with pain, and thus it is legal. Heavily controlled, but legal. There is even a form of crystalized cocaine that is legal and manufactured by drug companies (I've never seen it before at the pharamcies I've worked in, but I have heard of it).

<disclaimer: I have never smoked marijuana and never intend to, frown on its excessive usage as a vice, and for a long time was dead-set against its legalization>

The controversy with marijuana is based on those classifications. So, we have three big classifications: danger, addiction, and medical use. As to danger, well yes marijuana is dangerous...but how dangerous? I'm not sure I've ever heard of an overdose, I'm sure it's possible, you can overdose on anything, but it must take a lot. There are also long term consequences, health problems, etc. They can be bad, but so can cigarrettes or alcohol. It's definately not as dangerous as an opiate, not by a huge margin. So, it can't be the danger thing.

Now we have addiction. I've heard there is no actual physical addiction involved with marijuana. Psychological addiction is a danger in any substance...really in any THING you do. For sake of argument, we'll assume that there is a potential for physical and psychological addiction. Whatever it is, it's not as bad as an opiate, again not by a long shot. If you take an opiate, you WILL be addicted to it. There is no argument, there are no exceptions, if you take an opiate you will go through withdrawal upon stopping it. The more you take, the worse it is. So, marijuana is not as addictive as an opiate.

Finally, medical use. Marijuana has been proven to be of medical use. In fact, there is a marijuana derivative called Marinol legal in I believe all 50 states.

So...I really don't know why marijuana is so tightly controlled. The older I get the less I actually care about the 'ravages' of marijuana. Illegal drug abuse is down, perscription drug use is up considerably. I've seen opiates in action, they are INSANELY dangerous compared to marijuana. I guess having seen the kinds of disasters opiates can produce marijuana seems as tame as alcohol and tabacco to me these days.

• OlujiwanOlujiwan Member UncommonPosts: 18

U can say what u want,

But the whole "Governement" is corrupt as hell when it comes to drugs, beleive me ive seen enuff politicians go into drug stores using the back door....

They wont ever make drugs all illigal, its there...sort of trustfund...

they could easyly put the dealers behind bars,

But that would be economical suicide.

Equilibrium's Community Leader.
    A dedicated Guildwars 2 PvP Guild.

• Zerocool032Zerocool032 Member Posts: 729

I find it simply incredible that things like tobacco are legal which serve the only purpose of claiming 400k+ lives each year..  No medical or industrial use... Sheer recreation which is more addictive than cocaine.. But hey, it makes the government money.

In the history of mankind, there has never been one documented report of death by cannabis alone..  It has INCREDIBLE industrial, medical, and recreational value.  Yet its illegal, thank you propaganda.

4 acres of trees, produces as much paper as 1 acre of hemp.  Not only that, hemp  takes 8 weeks to be fully grown.

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

I do drugs everday, multiple times in fact.  Its called coffee and its considered a drug, so not all drugs are bad.