Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars: Eyes of the North: E3 Preview

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

MMORPG.com Writer Carolyn Koh is attending this year's, modified, E3. Yesterday, Carolyn attended a session with NCsoft that saw her make her way through all of the games that they were displaying. In this article, Carolyn tells us about Guild Wars: Eyes of the North and even a little bit about the upcoming Guild Wars 2.

Publisher NCSoft holds a meeting session each year at E3, moving media through all the games they are showing in twenty minute sessions. Not a whole lot of time for developers to show a game preview as well as answer questions. This year was no different. Jeff Strain, Co-Founder and Programmer did the presentation while Elijah Miller of Quality Assurance drove the playable preview.

"Eyes of the North is the first true expansion of Guild Wars and will require one of the stand alone products such as the original Guild Wars Prophecies, Factions, or Nightfall," said Strain.

Jeff told us that the reason is that building an expansion rather than a stand alone game freed up developers from having to create new starting areas and new low-level content. Instead, they could concentrate all of their resources toward making content for existing players. Is it all level 20 content then? No, Jeff was quick to point out. The expansion is geared towards existing players who have broad experience with Guild Wars, not newbies, but it's not all level 20 content.

Read the whole preview here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• m240gulfm240gulf Member UncommonPosts: 460

Did they just make this decision at E3?  This whole time I thought they were making GW2   Not sure if this is good news or not, I was hoping for an entirely new game seperated from GW original.

I Reject your Reality and Substitute it with My Own!

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519
    Originally posted by m240gulf

Did they just make this decision at E3?  This whole time I thought they were making GW2   Not sure if this is good news or not, I was hoping for an entirely new game seperated from GW original.

they are making GW2. Eyes of the north was announced awhile back as another expansion to the GW game.

• JoffiJoffi Member Posts: 5

ANet stated in their March 27, 2007 press release (here) the GW:EN expansion and GW2 target release date; both were mentioned in that missive.

• Redfeather75Redfeather75 Member UncommonPosts: 230

The Asura are little gremlin-like critters, with strong intellect and superior magical skills, and they know it. They come complete with a chip on their shoulder and we were told that we would have to work through that character quirk if we chose to adopt them as heroes. Jeff wasn't telling more, but it surely brought to mind a random, "I'm not helping you," behavior possibility.

Oh, oh. Having flashbacks of Zhedd running into the desolation committing suicide.

• ekspertseksperts Member Posts: 49

Jeff promises us a total of 18 multi-level dungeons with traps, puzzles and hidden rooms, and a public beta slated for the 2nd quarter of 2008.

No, no ,no!

will be released to the public on August 31, 2007
    http://www.guildwars.com/press/releases/pressrelease-2007-07-02.php

Cheers!

• Thor79Thor79 Member Posts: 96

Originally posted by eksperts
    Jeff promises us a total of 18 multi-level dungeons with traps, puzzles and hidden rooms, and a public beta slated for the 2nd quarter of 2008.No, no ,no!will be released to the public on August 31, 2007

Cheers!

Yeah...the preview sounds like the preview of GW:EN but that 2nd quarter of 2008 doesn't fit the existing facts at all...that sounds more like a public beta for GW2....though that seems a bit early for that.

• erandurerandur Member Posts: 727
    Originally posted by Thor79

Originally posted by eksperts

Jeff promises us a total of 18 multi-level dungeons with traps, puzzles and hidden rooms, and a public beta slated for the 2nd quarter of 2008.

No, no ,no!
    will be released to the public on August 31, 2007

Cheers!

Yeah...the preview sounds like the preview of GW:EN but that 2nd quarter of 2008 doesn't fit the existing facts at all...that sounds more like a public beta for GW2....though that seems a bit early for that.

there's nothing early about that, that was about the date they said ;)  can't wait to Q2 2008 ^^

You know it, the best way to realize your dreams is waking up and start moving, never lose hope and always keep up.

• judgebeojudgebeo Member Posts: 419

so, nothing new in gw?

• mar1kmar1k Member Posts: 2

Those Asura-guys somehow look like pokemon to me :D

I hope GW:EN will be great so I can spend amount of time with it^^

• Redfeather75Redfeather75 Member UncommonPosts: 230

The 2008 beta part is about GW2. There was a mixup in that interview.

I read the pre-release bonus pack for GW:EoTN offers a Beta CD key.

• Darkseth12Darkseth12 Member Posts: 148

im more exited of GW2 than this expansion but they said this expansion will help tell the story of what they going to make in GW2

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Seems really nice to me. I got high hopes on this one.

• brownspankbrownspank Member Posts: 247

Eye of the North. Not eyes.

Regardless, I'm sure a lot of us GW fans can't wait for the launch date.

• brunakbrunak Member Posts: 6

Hey guys. Don't yell or laugh at me, but are the asura playable? or they are just heroes that you use? Also which GW is the original? Prophecies or another? i need help from people who can tell me everything please

• ekspertseksperts Member Posts: 49

Originally posted by brunak
    ... are the asura playable? or they are just heroes that you use? Also which GW is the original? Prophecies or another? i need help from people who can tell me everything please

Asura come playeble in GW2 only. In GW:EN Asura are just one of Heroes.
    Guild Wars history:
    Games
    1. Guild Wars Prophecies,
    2. Guild Wars Factions,
    3. Guild Wars Nightfall.
    Expansion
    4. Guild Wars: Eye of the North.

All games is stand alone, but can be connected together. For expansion you need least one game to play.

• brunakbrunak Member Posts: 6

Thanks for the information. Now I can't wait for GW2. I found out that it's gonna have alot of features, like diffrent pvp, diffrent races, jumping, and a much higher level cap. I can't wait. Thanks again.