Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning: 300,000 Sign Up for WAR Beta

SzarkSzark News ManagerMember Posts: 4,420

EA Mythic has announced that their ranks have swelled to 300,000 players who have signed up for the Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning beta.

More Than 300,000 Sign Up for Beta Test of EA's Highly-Anticipated
Massively-Multiplayer Online Game

EA Mythic today announced that more than 300,000 players have signed up for
the Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning (WAR) closed beta test. In little
more than a month, EA Mythic's highly-anticipated Warhammer Online has
amassed a growing army of willing participants in Europe and North America,
making the beta one of the most popular in massively multiplayer gaming
history.

Poised to be one of the biggest PC game releases of 2008, WAR is slated for
official launch in early 2008. The Beta Center is still open and accepting
applications at: https://betacenter.eamythic.com/signup.php.

Based on Games Workshop's epic tabletop fantasy war game, WAR features
revolutionary Realm vs. Realm™ (RvR) game play and is scheduled for release
on the PC in the first quarter of 2008.

Read more here.

Comments

• RomseRomse Member Posts: 198

Most MMOs would be happy to get this many suscribing players...

This game should hit the 5 million customers easily.

• tikovootikovoo Member Posts: 289

Considering the crowd it is aimed at: WoW crowd, Kids from GamesWorkshop, and its cartoony style its no suprise that quite a few schoolboys have rushed out to get into beta...

• KoolaiderKoolaider Member Posts: 450

Shame that the peak of MMORPGs hit about 5 years ago.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

Too many haters here..... I think its a good sign, (not a portent of 5 million though).... it sure means there's a lot of folks who want to give the game a trial.....er, I mean, help them test it.  

Great news, lets just hope they keep right on schedule and deliver us something great in 2008... (hey , that rhymes)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• METALDRAG0NMETALDRAG0N Member Posts: 1,680
    Originally posted by tikovoo

Considering the crowd it is aimed at: WoW crowd, Kids from GamesWorkshop, and its cartoony style its no suprise that quite a few schoolboys have rushed out to get into beta...

Lol almost a troll post here 

"Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god."
    -- Jean Rostand

• RomseRomse Member Posts: 198

That schoolboys barb seems gratuitous... WoW has many adults playing as it is easy on the casual player... and even though they still have a market... the height of GamesWorkshop's popularity was 20 years ago... the "GamesWorkshop kids" are in their 30s now.

What has this game done to you?

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

I've seen video footage (IGN'S exlusive Warrior Priest Video) thats not cartoonish at all,and then theres the videos that look very similar to {cough} another Popular MMO. And by the Way the majority of the GWS hobby peeps are not kids(they dont got that kind of money,lol). IMO the game is gonna rock.

• RetradRetrad Member UncommonPosts: 274

The largest number of people to sign up for a beta. So the end of WoW begins.

And WAR is not aimed at "kids". The 12yr olds will be playing AoC so they can see their cartoon boobs. I'm 21, I'd say I'm far from being a schoolboy. Don't worry, you should can still have fun with your junior high buddies playing AoC with your 200 server population.

• NoctiqueNoctique Member Posts: 216
    Originally posted by Romse

That schoolboys barb seems gratuitous... WoW has many adults playing as it is easy on the casual player... and even though they still have a market... the height of GamesWorkshop's popularity was 20 years ago... the "GamesWorkshop kids" are in their 30s now.

What has this game done to you?

Thats easy, it has dwarfed her beloved Age of Conan, simply look at her posts, majority are flames in the WAR forums, the rest happy Age of Conan posts.

I wounder are female trolls even uglier than male ones?

In another note, 300,000 is amazing number of people, I cant remember any MMORPG getting that many applications (As thats all they are, theres no way 300,00 beta players)

As stated before most MMO's would love that number of players never mind beta testers.

Die Noctique, By Day and Night

• ormstungaormstunga Member Posts: 736

Kids from GamesWorkshop

haha you just gave 'clueless' a face! gratz man  

• ndpunchndpunch Member Posts: 208

Lol, WAR reminds me of  WoW more and more everyday. These sort of big number announcements will grow more interest, then they hit the next mile stone, they announce that, more peeps flock in ect ect. The exact same happened with WoW, it's a cheap and VERY effective marketing.

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

Originally posted by ndpunch

Lol, WAR reminds me of  WoW more and more everyday. These sort of big number announcements will grow more interest, then they hit the next mile stone, they announce that, more peeps flock in ect ect. The exact same happened with WoW, it's a cheap and VERY effective marketing.
    You mean WOW reminds you of WAR...uhm nevermind. 

With all those people the odds of getting a beta invite seem pretty slim.

• fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960

Only thing stopping WAR from doing well is a Vanguardian flubug launch. Hopefully EA won't be shoving deadlines and such to force them to launch too early.

Seems like the mmorpg players want it. Question is how long will they wait and will Conan keep them away?

Myself? I will play both, but most likely  won't be able to keep em both. So it will be AoC for a few months until WAR launches, but if WAR flops..

• serapholseraphol Member Posts: 33

Despite how much I hate comparing WoW and WAR. some of us on WoW have come up with a new definition for the acronym. "Waiting On Warhammer". Seems we're not the only ones eager to play.

• HivesHives Member UncommonPosts: 203

I love statements like that.... I can't remember when a video game stop being a game but it looks like you take your video games seriously. I can sit here and say this is only going to be a WoW rip off or a Daoc clone but what would be the point, I don't have a gun pointed to my head with someone making me play it. I've played most of all MMO's and I am curious on how good this will be, I got 4 good years out of Daoc so I hope I can with this one.

• mokonamokona Member Posts: 51

WOOT 300,000 and thats just for beta sign up  congrates to the Mythic team. Now lets hope all of us who singed up get in and that the game lives up to all the hope we have for it.

If god loves the fools ,and god loves every one, dose that mean we are all fools.

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

All my friends and family who play WoW hasnt bothered to sign up, even though I bugger them to do so. Also, the signup takes a whole 5 minutes or so, many cant be bothered because of this. I bet WAR will have 2 million subs in no time, 1 mill in North America, 1 mill in Europe. If its released in Asia soon after or same time, whoop! 5 mill subs in a year

WAR will probably be the last big mmorpg with autoattack though? AoC has no autoattack, AoC is either the future or a mistake, or both systems can coexist?

• AmstelAmstel Member Posts: 61

This game is destined to suck because it's a two faction system like WoW. You can't have any type of player / guild politics in a two faction game. You can't roleplay "good" effectively when every player is automatically doing the same exact thing (helping their faction and fighting the enemy). You need some players to differentiate themselves as "pk" and others as "anti pk" and they will actually be good and evil instead of just playing their side which is no different than the other side other then arbitrary choice

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Originally posted by Arcona

All my friends and family who play WoW hasnt bothered to sign up, even though I bugger them to do so. Also, the signup takes a whole 5 minutes or so, many cant be bothered because of this. I bet WAR will have 2 million subs in no time, 1 mill in North America, 1 mill in Europe. If its released in Asia soon after or same time, whoop! 5 mill subs in a year
    WAR will probably be the last big mmorpg with autoattack though? AoC has no autoattack, AoC is either the future or a mistake, or both systems can coexist?
    I'm willing to bet WAR won't even reach 1 million active subscribers. I think its time you (And not only you, many other people) stop acting like its completely normal for a western MMORPG to reach 1 million subscribers. Out of all those MMO's, Only one, yes, one, made it to 1 million subscribers. Even Everquest didn't make it to half a million subscribers.

I also love how you seem to think that releasing in asia = instant win. Because western MMO's have a big trackrecord of being successfull in Asia, right? [/sarcasm]

• Varlok91Varlok91 Member Posts: 396
    Originally posted by Amstel

This game is destined to suck because it's a two faction system like WoW. You can't have any type of player / guild politics in a two faction game. You can't roleplay "good" effectively when every player is automatically doing the same exact thing (helping their faction and fighting the enemy). You need some players to differentiate themselves as "pk" and others as "anti pk" and they will actually be good and evil instead of just playing their side which is no different than the other side other then arbitrary choice

So go play EVE?

--------------------------------
    Desktop - AMD 8450 Tri Core, 3 gigs of DDR2 800 RAM, ATI HD 3200 Graphics, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
    Laptop (Dell Latitude E6400) - Intel P8400, 2 GIGs of RAM, Intel X4500, Windows XP Professional

• ladyattisladyattis Member Posts: 1,273

Can you prove that it's WoW focused? As for 'kids' from GW, lemme give you a tip: don't call a 30-something who's a father that plays GW games a kid. He might decide to thump you with his modern recreation of a 13th century mace.

Anyways, if you don't like WAR or the tabletop strategy, please then shutup and leave the people who love it alone. Got it? It's just common sense, geez!

-- Brede

• ladyattisladyattis Member Posts: 1,273

Originally posted by Gameloading
    I'm willing to bet WAR won't even reach 1 million active subscribers. I think its time you (And not only you, many other people) stop acting like its completely normal for a western MMORPG to reach 1 million subscribers. Out of all those MMO's, Only one, yes, one, made it to 1 million subscribers. Even Everquest didn't make it to half a million subscribers.
    I also love how you seem to think that releasing in asia = instant win. Because western MMO's have a big trackrecord of being successfull in Asia, right? [/sarcasm]

Personally, I think it will hit 500k, and eventually 1 million, but any higher I would be surprised. And not because people will think it's a 'WoW' clone, but rather because people under 25 probably haven't heard of warhammer RTSes (computer and table-top) and RPGs (tabletop and MUDs). So to expect a major user draw to this title is a bit of a stretch.

-- Brede

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

Originally posted by Koolaider

Shame that the peak of MMORPGs hit about 5 years ago.

Lol - what you mean back when 300k would have been succesful numbers numbers for a *released* game instead of just beta-test numbers  which are always only a fraction of the final subscriber numbers?

MMORPGs used to be considered a joke by the rest of the gaming industry, now they're finally reaching real Big Person numbers.  Claiming the 'good old days' were somehow more worthwhile is like complaining we're not living in caves and eating raw meat.  It's time to evolve.

• tapeworm00tapeworm00 Member Posts: 549

Woe is me, for Auto-attack is there, spiting my very existence! OH WOE

Ahem... drama apart, those videos look totally awesome. The game's graphics are great, now they need to get some more work on the animations (and maybe the sound) and ladies and gentlemen we got a winner. And I hope I can get used to auto-attack... one day. haha

• LucifrankLucifrank Member Posts: 355

Originally posted by ladyattis

Originally posted by Gameloading

Personally, I think it will hit 500k, and eventually 1 million, but any higher I would be surprised. And not because people will think it's a 'WoW' clone, but rather because people under 25 probably haven't heard of warhammer RTSes (computer and table-top) and RPGs (tabletop and MUDs). So to expect a major user draw to this title is a bit of a stretch.

-- Brede

I'd agree that a huge chunk of this games fan base will come from Games Workshop enthusiasts. I for one was never a tabletop gamer, but always admired the look and sensibility of the Warhammer world and am excited to see it brough into an MMORPG format.

Can anyone shed some insight into what the pen-and-paper and tabletop gaming crowd is like nowadays? Is it still a thriving community or has it taken a hit in this technologically driven age? I've been out of the loop for almost two decades(!) now in terms of pen-and-paper type stuff. I'd imagine that MMORPGs swallow up a good chunk of the audience for the old pencil-and-dice games, but I know there's still some sort of community out there.