Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beta Fury Review

PoweruserPoweruser Member Posts: 33

When i heard about fury and his unique pvp combat , thats close to UT fight style , i was waiting something more from that...

• First of all , character creation , isnt really new. 1 race , and u can select some hair styles and face mood. Makes everyone look the same.

• Classes are pretty nice , but not balanced. (Caster classes dying easy but they dont deal the dmg they should).

• Artwork is in beta of course , but not really something special.

• Perfomance is one of the worst parts of the game . With CPU 3.00GB , 1GB RAM , 256 mb ram , i was lagging a lot. The fury fans must have 2GB ram , to continue playing.

• Battles doesnt seems intersting for me , as long doesnt need any skill to kill. Everyone can charge , spam some buttons , and win. Remember me WoW pvp-style.

• Item gathering , its intersting.

• Support : There are CSR everywhere , and trying to help you. They dont have the knowlenge, they should have though.

Graphics : 50%

Sound : 25%

Interface : 80%

Action : 85%

Gameplay : 75%

Performance : 40%

General : 65%

Finally , Fury its a game , for strong pvp fans or  for ppls who have a very small time  amount for Games.

I dont really think , its the king of all pvp games.

Lets not forget tho , its just in beta , many things are going to become better.

Comments

• AruwenAruwen Member Posts: 5

yep some stuff needs alota work - but judging from the version i played 4-5 months ago and the current version its coming together pretty good and if its improving at that rate it could be a real great game end of this year.

Graphics on a Computer that actually can run it proper are great and i really hope the devs optimize it sooner than later. http://files.filefront.com/Furymkv/;7881502;;/fileinfo.html is an example of higher end graphix in fury.

There is one point i do have to strongly disagree though which is ->

Battles doesnt seems intersting for me , as long doesnt need any skill to kill. Everyone can charge , spam some buttons , and win. Remember me WoW pvp-style.

I partially agree that it might look that way from rank1-3 (the "levels" of fury) - on the other hand how comes that when there was a server wipe and everyone starts at zero - its still the same ppl coming out on top?

Furthermore, as soon as you hit rank 3-4 you get to equip better armor, which you should have gathered by then, and alot more skills. You will also delve into other classes and start to use skills from different lines. Then the fun starts as well as its getting more and more skill dependent.

Also i dont think you have played Vortex (=12v12 CTF with some twists) or especially Elimination (=4on4 last man standing) in a Team of atleast 4-8. Bloodbath (=free for all) is no judgment at all.

• MalakhiMalakhi Member UncommonPosts: 39

Im running a dual core, 2 GB RAM, 256mb 7900GS card and having very little lag.  The game is demanding and in order to be competitive you have to have the system to keep up.

The game does target 1 specific type of character, so many people will say this is not for them.  Its very much like an FPS where the only point to the game is pvping and developing your advanced skills.  A community will develop and hopefully more content will be added. But as of right now I think the structure and what I have seen. 

Just wish I had more time to play it.

• ducaduca Member Posts: 17

since its in beta so the graphic isnt completed, which make the video card requirement so high, I think.

• RollotamasiRollotamasi Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 898

It looks like English isn't your first language so I am going to go off of what I think you said.  It seems to me like you wanted to try the game because of the UT style fast paced PvP but didn't like the PvP because anyone could rush in and spam some buttons and wind.  I might be missing something here but isn't that what UT is?  Mainly its just a a bunny hoping button mashing fest.  Seems like your saying fury is the same thing.

-Currently looking forward to FFXIV

-Currently playing EvE and Global Agenda

• harmonicaharmonica Member Posts: 339

I think Fury just serves to point out how ridiculous current MMORPG combat is.

It's easy and it's boring. If this game were like UT with fantasy weapons, it'd be fun... but it's like UT with a piece of shit combat system.

Imagine you had all of the guns of UT, but this combat system? It'd never sell.

MMORPGs need to re-evaluate combat... go for something more innovate... See: Ultima Online (Pre-UO:R).

• Dan_GrayDan_Gray Member Posts: 74

Your points answered one by one:

• It's just humans and the customisation options are fairly limited, true enough, but when you are decked out in the highest tier armor nobody cares how the person underneath it looks!

• The balance is actually pretty solid at the moment. I've played a caster for most of my time in Fury, and it just takes an adjustment in your style of play.

• You are definately going to see art improvements coming to the art. The build you are playing at the moment is from a two month old production branch.

• Optimization is something we are continuing to work on. You might try dropping it into low end renderer to increase your FPS, it wont look great but your frames should be flawless.

• Having played with some of the more experienced clans today I will have to disagree. :p

• CSRs do occasionally have questions they can't answer. However, they do have a direct line to us with which they can handle any more difficult requests.

Hope that helps!

• OrcaOrca Member UncommonPosts: 629

This isnt a MMORPG.

Its just a game where you have this area of NPCs, that sells goods, train you etc... Then you talk to this guy and you enter an arena.

I think ive played this before... Oh right, its called Guild Wars. When i played Guild Wars i thought i had played that before, a game called Diablo... And thats not a MMORPG because it isnt a MMORPG.

To qualify being a MMORPG in my book you have to have a persistent world... I doubt there will be much persistance in a NPC area.

But then again, i think the term MMORPG is changing alot over the years...

This is just a Third Person Shooter, nothing more, nothing less.

Futilez - Mature MMORPG Community

Correcting people since birth.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Orca

This isnt a MMORPG.
    Its just a game where you have this area of NPCs, that sells goods, train you etc... Then you talk to this guy and you enter an arena.
    I think ive played this before... Oh right, its called Guild Wars. When i played Guild Wars i thought i had played that before, a game called Diablo... And thats not a MMORPG because it isnt a MMORPG.
    To qualify being a MMORPG in my book you have to have a persistent world... I doubt there will be much persistance in a NPC area.

/Agreed

Originally posted by Orca

This isnt a MMORPG.

That would be why we don't describe it as an MMORPG. Fury is a 'PvPMMO'.

• WulfbourneWulfbourne Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by Dan_Gray

Thats how I would have described Fury. Never have I seen it officially referred to as RPG but definitely MMO. Being able to run around and see many players and communicate and joke around with them is quite fun, one reason I like MMOs.

I'm wasn't really a fan of PvP before, but that's because I was stuck in the PvP of WoW which is heavily broken in my opinion. I came to Fury expecting "eh maybe I'll like it but for now I'm just here to mess around with some friends." Within 15 minutes I was hooked.

• ChaiaChaia Member Posts: 81

Your points answered one by one:

It's just humans and the customisation options are fairly limited, true enough, but when you are decked out in the highest tier armor nobody cares how the person underneath it looks!

I care about how my character looks, I'm female so I might be biased, but I care.

• TopainTopain Member Posts: 8

Tried it, just not my cup of tea really. I am a PvP fan, but not at this extreme, usually I like to get a feel for my toon b4 I PvP it lol.

Anyway to be fair, the graphics are decent so far and the ability tree is pretty exstensive plus the rewards u get after battles and how the "roll" for em is pretty cool. Although I would like to have been able to see what others r rolling for too, maybe I missed that part but I did not see it until after the timer had counted down.

I was lagged some at all high settings usually when I zoned to battle but again this is beta and lag is to be expected as I have tested many others in the past where lag was there in beta and gone on release.

CSRs were there answering alot of incoming questions and doing fairly well considering the number and types of questions being asked. I am going to say the support community will be a good one from the looks of it.

Sanctuary was a little confusing at first, but on a tour around it I found pretty much everything I needed. Perhaps I skipped something while reading the guides info, I do have a tendancy to skim over important info at times it's a rather bad habit of mine. lol

****Suggestion**** 

With all the abilities perhaps a "test" areana with stationary or attacking NPCs would be useful to allow for folks to test thier new abilites and actually see what they do as to better prepare for battle instead of going in blind. Since battle is pretty fast paced being able to understand the abilies and see how they react is rather difficult and leaves one running and screaming from battle. lol

****End of Suggestion****

It really is UT meets MMO and I really enjoy playing UT with my son, but I will have to say this way does not interest me at this time. Good luck with it and I am sure there will be a niche that this game will fulfill and give those that crave fast paced PvP action a place to call home!

• ChikacaChikaca Member Posts: 62

I'm loving it!

Couldn't get past tutorial without crashng all the time!

What a MASTERPIECE! <3

• Lonesamurai1Lonesamurai1 Member Posts: 1,210

hey Dan, now we all know what happened to the last game that tried to change its category from MMO to CORPG, now don't we?

Yeah, now they are 18 months off releasing an actual MMO

If Auran don't want this lumped in with all the other MMO's out there, they need to do a damn good job of representing it and pushing it to the retailers and press, or, just as guild Wars was, it will be lumped in with the likes of WoW and WoW kiddies will just compare it and it will fail to compare, just as Guild Wars did

imageimage

• DireclawDireclaw Member Posts: 5

I'm enjoying this, finally a game with full character developement that has refreshing pvp. The incarnations idea is pretty nice,  skill points, tier level abilities, ability to buy skills which are on your tier level of skills that you didn't get with points, leveling, areas for puting notes in about your character, background creation basically.  Beats grinding honor points all day long with random people that just want to be 'the one' with highest KB's or w/e, or the whole whopping 4 arena rooms...yaya. Fury is really good. I'm just tired of wow''s incredible hard wipe fest boss's and limited pvp, and i have tried alot of games looking for something to settle on, this could be it. Keep up the good stuff.

• augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628

I've been looking around, and so far I haven't seen anything about a monthly fee.  Is this game going to be free to play?

Originally posted by augustgrace

I've been looking around, and so far I haven't seen anything about a monthly fee.  Is this game going to be free to play?

Fury will be released with an optional subscription, and we are very much against giving in-game power advantages to subscribers.

Full details will be announced at a later date.

I like it!

• servo77servo77 Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Originally posted by Poweruser

When i heard about fury and his unique pvp combat , thats close to UT fight style , i was waiting something more from that...

First of all , character creation , isnt really new. 1 race , and u can select some hair styles and face mood. Makes everyone look the same.

There is no need for individual characters really... once you have full armor you can't see your face anyways.

Classes are pretty nice , but not balanced. (Caster classes dying easy but they dont deal the dmg they should).

There aren't really any classes in the game. You can take skills from each skill line and use them all. You'd be a fool to only use to skill type. Balance is in your hands.

Artwork is in beta of course , but not really something special.

It will get better.

Perfomance is one of the worst parts of the game . With CPU 3.00GB , 1GB RAM , 256 mb ram , i was lagging a lot. The fury fans must have 2GB ram , to continue playing.

It will get better. Old client build.

Battles doesnt seems intersting for me , as long doesnt need any skill to kill. Everyone can charge , spam some buttons , and win. Remember me WoW pvp-style.

As somebody else stated, it's gets more challenging as you progress. The first few levels are just a spam-fest while people are learning how the game works and what skills to use. But trust me, if you go into a rank 8-10 Vortex and just spam buttons blindly, you'll be dead in a flash.
    There are stuns, silences, roots, amplifiers, nullifiers, heals, buffs, etc, etc. You have to master using all of these techniques together in order to become a successful player. It may seem a bit overwhelming at first, but once you have fully developed each skill-line and have every spell at your disposal, you'll have a blast!
    I keep both of my hotbars full all the time. Nearly all the buttons are mapped to non-standard keys. It's a challenge in itself trying to remember each keymap and when to use what skill! That's the beauty of this game imo.

Item gathering , its intersting.

Except for jewelry and belts, I don't see the point in items dropping from battle... the artificiers can make weapons and armor for dirt cheap; just as good as the loot that drops. You should never not be in your highest rank armor. 

Support : There are CSR everywhere , and trying to help you. They dont have the knowlenge, they should have though.

The game is in alpha, you can't expect these guys to be experts on the game already; they will get better.

Graphics : 50%

Sound : 25%

Interface : 80%

Action : 85%

Gameplay : 75%

Performance : 40%

General : 65%

Finally , Fury its a game , for strong pvp fans or  for ppls who have a very small time  amount for Games.
    I dont really think , its the king of all pvp games.
    Lets not forget tho , its just in beta , many things are going to become better.

• ColinMacLareColinMacLare Member Posts: 1
    Tried it this weekend.

Performance wasn't as bad as people are trying to make it. My rig may be quite decent (Core 2 [email protected] GHz, 2GB RAM, 320MB 8800 GTS), but it ran on Full Details @1680x1050 without any lags whatsoever. Considering that there are already games out there that run like crap on my system (Lost Planet, Vanguard, D.I.R.T, Supreme Commander in 4 player+ MP) and the fact that we are talking about an unoptimized early beta build of an Unreal Engine 3 game, performance was suprisingly good. It's an UE3 game, so don't expect it to run decently on an Athlon XP with Radeon 9800 or something.

Gameplay was OK, but it felt too much like stupid button mashing. I know it's going to be a lot more tactical later on, a faster Guild Wars with an Everquest II style overkill Skill selection (I consider this a good thing), however that doesn't translate very well to new players doing their first Bloodbath. On a market were you can choose between tons of excellent MMORPGs, the first hours just feel stupid, you don't get hooked by the mesh fest you are encountering in the lower ranks, so people might look elsewhere before even realzing the true potential of this title.

• DecrebaudDecrebaud Member UncommonPosts: 42

I didn't mind the game, my only bad about it was the performence O_O; oh man that sucked XD still, loved every minute of it :) i'll probably retry this game in awhile and see how much it improved ^_^

• kraidenkraiden Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 638

ok  so my view of the beta preview as a person not as a reporter.

I did not have a problem at first with performance, but when in major city i would get connection interuption messages (lag) and teleport all over the pace.

I do agree with a previous poster, that casting classes dont last long at all compared to the amount of damage they deal, and this is coming from a pvp traditionalist who thinks all casters should always die in 2 shots to tanks. I never felt the healing or ice damage I was doing was very effective but people had little problem catching up to me , stuning me and then killing me quickly. my healing didnt really seem to keep people alive.

The whole insta cast on 90% of the spells kinda sets me back. where some would view it as "fast paced" to me it borders on  frantic. The run speed is also turned WAAAY up to make the game "feel" faster, but its artificial your not actually in a more intense fight... the POLYGONS of the fight you are in is just moving faster.

I do like the strategy of using the seperate elements. So you can almost perform 2 seperate roles at different points of the fight.

I will reserve further judgement for my 2nd run at it this weekend. but I cant seem to put down pirates of the burning sea with my spare gaming time.

I should actually just write an editorial on it insted of typing here though.... it IS my job afterall.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by kraiden

I should actually just write an editorial on it insted of typing here though.... it IS my job afterall.

Nah, now they'll just accuse you of being biased against the game, and be demanding re-reviews and re-re-reviews. It'll never end.

• AlexWeekesAlexWeekes Member Posts: 57

Originally posted by kraiden

I did not have a problem at first with performance, but when in major city i would get connection interuption messages (lag) and teleport all over the pace.
    I do agree with a previous poster, that casting classes dont last long at all compared to the amount of damage they deal, and this is coming from a pvp traditionalist who thinks all casters should always die in 2 shots to tanks. I never felt the healing or ice damage I was doing was very effective but people had little problem catching up to me , stuning me and then killing me quickly. my healing didnt really seem to keep people alive.

On the performance issue in the Sanctarum ... we know what's causing that, and it'll be fixed up in future.

On the casters issue, I'd like to suggest there's an element of getting used to how they work in Fury. I played a brand new caster character on the Saturday through to Adept rank; initially in Bloodbath and then later in Vortex. What made my character survivable was a couple of things:

1. I made sure to carry at least one melee range charge consumption attack

2. I made sure to carry at least one physical shutdown ability of some sort

For Bloodbath I made sure to hang around the powerups that would make a difference for me, and Vortex is team play so I generally tried to avoid mobs of the enemy and stay near mobs of allies.

Of course, I've been playing on a regular basis and have a lot of experience playing all sorts of characters. Essentially ... I've learned not to think in straight up "Melee vs Caster" terms, because in Fury there is no such hard line division.

I felt the same way about casters. I also felt that melee nature damage spells were underbalanced. There aren't as many of them and they aren't as effective as other elements.