Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Age of Conan: E3 Preview

2

Comments

  • PietoroPietoro Seattle, WAPosts: 162Member
    Originally posted by Fion


    You think Funcoms devs act like little kids. I'd suggest you avoid any video of WAR devs lmao.

     Yet strangely, it's Conan that's lately been getting a lot of bad vibes about immaturity, and not WAR.

    There's a reason for that, and it's illustrated blatantly in this article.  Because one company is marketing it's product like adults, based on it's gameplay and design rather than on 'Woot! We got bewbies and blood!' and doesn't have to keep repeating 'It's mature! IT'S MATURE DAMMIT' while acting the total opposite almost every time it advertises itself.

    I'll let you guess which company is which.

     

  • TrentHTrentH St. Louis, MOPosts: 44Member

    I do agree that the lore behind the game is sexual in nature and has a lot of gore and such, however, as many have replied...  The game is not being marketed like it's a mature game.  Anytime you can quote a developer making an exclamatory selling point on the words "We've got boobies!"... thats not mature...

  • LeodiousLeodious Abingdon, VAPosts: 773Member


    Originally posted by Pietoro

    "It's a mature game. Hyboria is a brutal world. It's savage. It's violent. It's sexy. There's no pink hearts and pretty fireballs. Heads will roll!" "We have boobs in our game!" The demo room was in the basement of the Fairmont hotel and rigged up to look like a dungeon. Booth babes were on hand to pass out grotesque shrunken heads on a string. "See? It's good to be a healer. You have a naked lady buffing you."



    'Mature' ...Right. Then why does the guy sound so hilariously juvenile?
    Newsflash... there's a way to make something mature, graphic and sexual without acting like a horny pre-teen. The fact that Funcom can't seem to market their content except like randy little boys, makes me feel that 'adult' is the LAST word you could use to describe this game and it's devs.

    Exactamente.

    This bothers me; I became interested in Conan lore when I heard about this game quite a while ago, and I feel like this is the opposite of the point of the world.

    "OMG BEWBS!" is not the angle I feel like fans of the IP (I sort of include myself, but I am new; haven't even read the books) should be/are quite offended by that quote. I don't want the devs to be randy preteens at heart. I think that this is a gritty world, and yes, there is sexuality, but there is sexuality in the real world and not everone acts like this. I have a mature relationship with my lady friend, if you catch my meaning, but this isn't really the attitude I feel like I take when we are in "adult" situations.

    Hyboria is brutal and savage and sexy, but I feel like the devs are missing real sexuality in favor of digital breasts.


    OMG!

    "There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

    — John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

  • TrentHTrentH St. Louis, MOPosts: 44Member

    Reading your little hint there in between the lines made me chuckle thinking of acting like the Funcom guy did during some certain things...

  • LeodiousLeodious Abingdon, VAPosts: 773Member


    Originally posted by TrentH
    Reading your little hint there in between the lines made me chuckle thinking of acting like the Funcom guy did during some certain things...

    Although, now that I think about it, I think I *do* get temporary buffs from her.

    "There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

    — John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

  • VagelispVagelisp AthensPosts: 448Member

    It's going to be a female avatars' paradise. Just make one with big boobs and log in. Money will flow.  

    Funcom knows that the majority of teen players will sell an arm and a leg to play this. The first MMO with mature esrb targeting teens. Nice marketing.

  • solarinesolarine IstanbulPosts: 1,203Member

    Heh, just had a nightmare vision of what this game could turn into if things go wrong:

    - OMG BOOB!!11!!!

    - LOLzor rtard U meen "NOOB"!??! keke

    - WTF auto-pwnd... ROFLCOPTER...

     

    This is one of the games I'm looking forward to. Though these days you pretty much never know how a community will turn out beforehand. So fans, cross your fingers :)

     

     

     

     

  • exzireexzire AskerPosts: 7Member

    Guys/girls, oh my god. Tharaldsen was obviously joking; Conan is not a "OMG, WE HAVE BOOOOBS!" game, nor do the developers behave like that either. What I hate about pre-release discussion is all the assumptions, and all the speculation based on out-of-context quotes like this.

  • LucifrankLucifrank Brooklyn, NYPosts: 355Member
    Originally posted by Aquakitty


     
    Originally posted by Lucifrank


     
    Originally posted by Lobotomist


    I really hope for hands on prewiew
    Really would like to hear some imputs on fighting system. It sounds and looks good...but how dificult it is to actually use?



    For "twitch" skill-oriented games I tend to stick to gaming consoles, so I'm interested in how this game will combine more interactive combat with the traditional elements of an MMORPG. Admittedly, I had zero interest in this game initially (though I think Conan is a great license) but the more I read about it, the more it intrigues me. My main concern is they're gonna have to fall on one side of the fence (whether PC or console), since this game will ultimately be available for both platforms. I think if it's too twitch-based the mechanics could be a pain in the ass for PC gamers and give console players a definite advantage--whereas if it's the other way around, it may be more fulfilling for PC gamers but prove a dull experience for console gamers.

     

    I never played EQOA, so maybe people who have played console-based MMORPGs could shed some light on how this has worked in the past (though I think this'll be the first title where PC and console gamers are playing on the same servers). Regardless, the devs' enthusiasm for this game is contagious and I'm excited to see how it turns out.

     

     

     

    What the heck are you talking about?? PC not twitch based? You have to be joking, right? The BEST combat in ANY game ever is via keyboard and mouse.

     

     



    If your reading comprehension were just a grade level or two higher, you wouldn't be so confused. I'd take a console controller anyday over mouse-and-keyboard for any twitch-based game, whether we're talking FPS or hack-and-slash. I feel that the split second decisions that must be made in traditional "arcade style" game play are way better executed with a joystick than a mouse. If I'm performing some complex combo move, I'd rather leave it up to a few joystick toggles and button taps than the sloppy mouse point-and-click in one hand and fumbling over the keyboard with the other.

  • pfloydguy84pfloydguy84 willimantic, CTPosts: 145Member Uncommon
    can I play this game on the PC with windows xp with directx 9? or do i have to have directx10 to play the PC version?
  • LucifrankLucifrank Brooklyn, NYPosts: 355Member
    Originally posted by pfloydguy84

    can I play this game on the PC with windows xp with directx 9? or do i have to have directx10 to play the PC version?

    I'm pretty confident system specs have not been released yet. They usually do some tweaking of the game through beta and release the "official" required and recommended specs a couple months before launch, so it should be coming soon. 

  • exzireexzire AskerPosts: 7Member
    Originally posted by pfloydguy84

    can I play this game on the PC with windows xp with directx 9? or do i have to have directx10 to play the PC version?

    Yes, you can play Age of Conan with Windows XP and most DirectX 9 cards. DX10 and Windows Vista is only required for DX10 graphics.

  • finalhourfinalhour Portland, MEPosts: 63Member

    YAY!!!! AND I WON THIS GAME!!! YAY!!!! Cant wait for the healer buffing me to showup lol

     

  • checkthis500checkthis500 Raleigh, NCPosts: 1,236Member

    Originally posted by Leodious


     

    Originally posted by Pietoro




    "It's a mature game. Hyboria is a brutal world. It's savage. It's violent. It's sexy. There's no pink hearts and pretty fireballs. Heads will roll!"
    "We have boobs in our game!" The demo room was in the basement of the Fairmont hotel and rigged up to look like a dungeon. Booth babes were on hand to pass out grotesque shrunken heads on a string. "See? It's good to be a healer. You have a naked lady buffing you."






    'Mature' ...Right. Then why does the guy sound so hilariously juvenile?

    Newsflash... there's a way to make something mature, graphic and sexual without acting like a horny pre-teen. The fact that Funcom can't seem to market their content except like randy little boys, makes me feel that 'adult' is the LAST word you could use to describe this game and it's devs.


     

    Exactamente.

    This bothers me; I became interested in Conan lore when I heard about this game quite a while ago, and I feel like this is the opposite of the point of the world.

    "OMG BEWBS!" is not the angle I feel like fans of the IP (I sort of include myself, but I am new; haven't even read the books) should be/are quite offended by that quote. I don't want the devs to be randy preteens at heart. I think that this is a gritty world, and yes, there is sexuality, but there is sexuality in the real world and not everone acts like this. I have a mature relationship with my lady friend, if you catch my meaning, but this isn't really the attitude I feel like I take when we are in "adult" situations.

    Hyboria is brutal and savage and sexy, but I feel like the devs are missing real sexuality in favor of digital breasts.



    OMG!

    Yeah I agree 100%.  A demon feeling herself up is hardly what I would call 'mature.'  That screenshot was one that I thought was really immature to put in one of their content updates on their site.

    Also, I still can't believe that their marketing team was like "You know our game is going to be released in October, I've got it.  Lets show a demo of a 25-man raid (24?).  That'll really get them pumped about our mature, brutal, pvp-based game."

    Someone should get fired for that stroke of brilliance.

    ---------------------------------------------
    I live to fight, and fight to live.

  • SpankarooSpankaroo Crystal Lake, ILPosts: 21Member

    More warhammer fanbois flocking to attack AoC? Who could have ever seen it coming. So the devs having a little fun automatically makes the entire game juvenile. But they plan on going to WoW 2.0 with all the same juvenile tree hugging elves and hold your hand gameplay. Sure, there will be some younger kids that go to AoC, but i'm willing to bet a WHOLE lot more of them will be going to warhammer.

  • solarinesolarine IstanbulPosts: 1,203Member

    It's just light-hearted humour, there's no way to know for sure when it comes to potential community. And seriously, to me, it's no issue to brood over now - *before* the game has even been released :)

    Besides, I think as long as you have a popular game, you can't avoid teenagers or immature people whatever their age may be. It seems to me that we MMORPGers will learn to not mind childish behaviour in the games so much, if we want to keep playing. A good community is a joy, but from personal experience, it's ultimately how fun the gameplay itself is that counts more.

     

  • thejudge1thejudge1 LeerdamPosts: 25Member

    Darkfall will kick AoC's  ass hard.

     

    'Nuff said.

  • FE|TachyonFE|Tachyon Pasadena, MDPosts: 652Member

    I've seen a lot of talk about  the twitch nature of the combat system, and I'd like to set a thing or two strait.

    Age of Conan isn't "Split Second".  You can string combos together, this is the biggest part of this fighting system.  You need to KNOW the combos.   You don't just push X button and  a combo will fire off.   You'll have to tell it, to  use each type of swing, and if the chain you put together  is the same as a combo you've learned then it will trigger,  and  get a bonus to its speed of execution, or Damage or another aspect that combo has to it, like stun, or armor debuff.  It's not like rapid button mashing.  More like a planned out path of buttons pressed  in a timely fashion.  Watch the Videos on youtube,  At the bottom center when the little area lights up yellowish, Its telling you that theres a combo that can be triggered from the move you just made, and the small lighted  icon is the NEXT type of attack in that combo.   IF you watch its not too fast.   Most combos take a few seconds to rip off.   NOW I do think that other classes such as rogues MAY have very fast combos.    Don't quote me on that tho.

  • fiontarfiontar Dana, MAPosts: 3,719Member

    I think they probably felt pressure to stress they have "boobies" because with the complete lack of Female Avatars in the Screen Shots, the game is looking very "homo-erotic". (Note: I don't mean this as a homo-phobic remark,  just an observation).

    I have to agree with the sentiment that their marketing of a "mature themed MMO" has been very immature in nature. They are turning off a lot of Mature players and appealing more to immature teens. They could destroy the game's potential for success just by completely flubbing their marketing approach.

     

    Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated
    image

  • ASmith84ASmith84 wylie, TXPosts: 979Member

    even if people dont like the m rating it still should be a good game.

  • thinkingbearthinkingbear SF Bay Area, CAPosts: 48Member
    Originally posted by Lucifrank


    I'd take a console controller anyday over mouse-and-keyboard for any twitch-based game, whether we're talking FPS or hack-and-slash.....I'd rather leave it up to a few joystick toggles and button taps than the sloppy mouse point-and-click in one hand and fumbling over the keyboard with the other.

    You are the only person I have ever heard say that.  Everyone I know that games, literally everyone, feels exactly the opposite

  • DownMonkeyDownMonkey Oh you know, that place., CAPosts: 159Member
    Originally posted by thinkingbear

    Originally posted by Lucifrank


    I'd take a console controller anyday over mouse-and-keyboard for any twitch-based game, whether we're talking FPS or hack-and-slash.....I'd rather leave it up to a few joystick toggles and button taps than the sloppy mouse point-and-click in one hand and fumbling over the keyboard with the other.

    You are the only person I have ever heard say that.  Everyone I know that games, literally everyone, feels exactly the opposite



    I agree, keyboard and mouse is well known as the best way to play a twitch game.
    Originally posted by fiontar

    I think they probably felt pressure to stress they have "boobies" because with the complete lack of Female Avatars in the Screen Shots, the game is looking very "homo-erotic". (Note: I don't mean this as a homo-phobic remark,  just an observation).
    I have to agree with the sentiment that their marketing of a "mature themed MMO" has been very immature in nature. They are turning off a lot of Mature players and appealing more to immature teens. They could destroy the game's potential for success just by completely flubbing their marketing approach.
     


    I've read R.E.Howard since I was a small kid and I have to say I'm really not getting into this game at all, Conan never felt like it was "all about teh booobz" even when I read the books as a kid.

    image

  • AlienovrlordAlienovrlord San Antonio, TXPosts: 1,525Member

    Originally posted by viza


     
    Go to the AoC site. There's a new E3 reviews news article with links to  different articles written by people that have played the game for an hour or more. There's also more info about PvP in those articles.
     
    Check it out! I'm pretty pumped after reading them. There's also some recent real gameplay videos on Youtube.

    Thanks for the heads up!   It looks like Funcom is finally opening up the floodgates this month, cool I've been waiting to get more details on this game.

    Now to slough through all the articles :)

  • FionFion Montour Falls, NYPosts: 2,351Member

    Omg this game is being marketed to 15 year old boys and will unavoidably crash and burn.. all because a dev said 'hey look. boobies.'

    DOOOOOOOOM!

    image

  • GobboKnightGobboKnight Santa Cruz, CAPosts: 41Member

    Originally posted by DownMonkey



    I've read R.E.Howard since I was a small kid and I have to say I'm really not getting into this game at all, Conan never felt like it was "all about teh booobz" even when I read the books as a kid.

    Nor is it now. Some people (certain journalists included) are simply blowing it out of proportion, acting offended about basically nothing, etc. We live in very sanitized, politically correct times, especially in the U.S., and attitudes/reactions to such things reflect that, clearly, to the point where a tongue-in-cheek comment by a dev or two becomes a horrific travesty to some.

     

    Male characters in games can get slaughtered in droves (by male or female characters), but show a female body part in a game (or even mention the fact in a humorous way) and all hell breaks loose. Gotta love the double standards that P.C.-ness  brings to the table.

     

    -Gobbo Knight

    "Tie two birds together...they have four wings, but cannot fly." -Blind man, Circle of Iron

2
Sign In or Register to comment.