Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: E3 Preview

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Last week, MMORPG.com Writer Carolyn Koh attended this year's, modified, E3. Today, she files this report on Funcom's much-anticipated upcoming MMORPG, Age of Conan.

"It's a mature game. Hyboria is a brutal world. It's savage. It's violent. It's sexy. There's no pink hearts and pretty fireballs. Heads will roll!" Announced Jorgen Thereldsen, Product Director of Funcom. This is the theme of Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures. "We have boobs in our game!" The demo room was in the basement of the Fairmont hotel and rigged up to look like a dungeon. Booth babes were on hand to pass out grotesque shrunken heads on a string.

Everybody and his brother, including the entire room of media people uploading assets, were connected to the same internet connection, bringing bandwidth down to a narrow pipe, but despite the technical difficulties, Funcom was able to provide an excellent demo. Ever the showman, Jorgen bragged as the group prepared for battle, "See? It's good to be a healer. You have a naked lady buffing you." Well, partial nudity anyway. Funcom was not shy to exploit the Conan IP's blatant sexuality.

Read the whole article here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• TorvacTorvac Member UncommonPosts: 135

fixed

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

I really hope for hands on prewiew

Really would like to hear some imputs on fighting system. It sounds and looks good...but how dificult it is to actually use?

• LucifrankLucifrank Member Posts: 355

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Really would like to hear some imputs on fighting system. It sounds and looks good...but how dificult it is to actually use?

For "twitch" skill-oriented games I tend to stick to gaming consoles, so I'm interested in how this game will combine more interactive combat with the traditional elements of an MMORPG. Admittedly, I had zero interest in this game initially (though I think Conan is a great license) but the more I read about it, the more it intrigues me. My main concern is they're gonna have to fall on one side of the fence (whether PC or console), since this game will ultimately be available for both platforms. I think if it's too twitch-based the mechanics could be a pain in the ass for PC gamers and give console players a definite advantage--whereas if it's the other way around, it may be more fulfilling for PC gamers but prove a dull experience for console gamers.

I never played EQOA, so maybe people who have played console-based MMORPGs could shed some light on how this has worked in the past (though I think this'll be the first title where PC and console gamers are playing on the same servers). Regardless, the devs' enthusiasm for this game is contagious and I'm excited to see how it turns out.

• mindmeldmindmeld Member UncommonPosts: 229

Me like ,Me want :D

-Semper ubi sub ubi!
    always wear underwear

• CavemanBECavemanBE Member UncommonPosts: 78

Me want too ,nice chicks maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

Agreed.   Booth babes and show-and-tell events are fine but they need to start letting the press and conference attendees try the game.   Esp. when they're talking about innovative combat systems, Funcom needs to let outside gamers try it and say whether or not it works.

Anything developers say is given 100% more credibility when somone NOT under their payroll says the same thing.  When they get reviewers to talk about the game after playing it for an hour or so, then I'll start  to believe all the stuff Funcom has been saying.  Until then, there have been too many instances of hype over substance in MMORPGs for me to believe anything based solely on company press releases.   No matter how hot the booth babes are.

And there's still nothing more about PvP combat.  Ah well.

• checkthis500checkthis500 Member Posts: 1,236

Originally posted by Alienovrlord

Agreed.   Booth babes and show-and-tell events are fine but they need to start letting the press and conference attendees try the game.   Esp. when they're talking about innovative combat systems, Funcom needs to let outside gamers try it and say whether or not it works.
    Anything developers say is given 100% more credibility when somone NOT under their payroll says the same thing.  When they get reviewers to talk about the game after playing it for an hour or so, then I'll start  to believe all the stuff Funcom has been saying.  Until then, there have been too many instances of hype over substance in MMORPGs for me to believe anything based solely on company press releases.   No matter how hot the booth babes are.

Agreed 100%.  The fact that they've been to 3 E3's and no one has tried the game is a little ridiculous.  What's even worse is that they've been to 3 E3s, and still no Female Avatars, no hands on play, and no PvP.  I think either they're marketing staff is really horrible, or they're not even close to being done with the game and we can expect another delay.

---------------------------------------------
    I live to fight, and fight to live.

• jj85624jj85624 Member Posts: 153

well... i don't know if ill like it or not, but i would definately try it out just becuase their bloodshedding graphics and the combat system....

if they were skill based that would be like perfect... :p

• LhexLhex Member UncommonPosts: 262

The dev said there is over 900 hours of gameplay to reach max level.  It would take you 45 weeks of button smashing and grinding to reach max level @ 20 hours a week.  And as the look of things I am already burnt out on the grind just watching the lackluster videos.

• CarolynKohCarolynKoh Staff WriterMember Posts: 202

I did get some "hands-on" time, by the way, but I just don't feel comfortable writing about "hands-on" based on something as short as a 5 or 10 minute play time, especially not for a full-fledged mmog such as Conan.

I'd feel better if I had a couple hours play time, try out a couple different classes etc.  Further, all I got to try was the Necromancer which was... a spell caster.  :P

After the beta embargo, we'll have more info for you. 

Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com or its management.

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

Originally posted by Sylvene

I did get some "hands-on" time, by the way, but I just don't feel comfortable writing about "hands-on" based on something as short as a 5 or 10 minute play time, especially not for a full-fledged mmog such as Conan.
    I'd feel better if I had a couple hours play time, try out a couple different classes etc.  Further, all I got to try was the Necromancer which was... a spell caster.  :P
    After the beta embargo, we'll have more info for you. 

Even initial impressions are something.    It doesn't require judgement to be passed on the entire game.   And the general 'feel' of a game can be determined after only a few minutes of play and a few combats IMO.   Do the controls feel natural?   Is the UI easy to follow?  How intuitive is the new combat system?  (Or the spell system)

I suppose the beta blackout has been limiting info on the game, but that still doesn't mean Funcom shouldn't be allowing more people the chance to try the game by now.  Esp. when PvP is supposed to be such a major part of it, we should be at least seeing some PvP beta-videos I would think. 

• Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290

[quote]"Emotes can also be scripted together. You can totally have your character staggering around drunk and making rude hand gestures in celebration after a successful battle."[/quote]

As a roleplayer that makes me very, very happy.

• vizaviza Member Posts: 204

Originally posted by Alienovrlord

Go to the AoC site. There's a new E3 reviews news article with links to  different articles written by people that have played the game for an hour or more. There's also more info about PvP in those articles.

Check it out! I'm pretty pumped after reading them. There's also some recent real gameplay videos on Youtube.

• SpankarooSpankaroo Member Posts: 21

Originally posted by Lhex

The dev said there is over 900 hours of gameplay to reach max level.  It would take you 45 weeks of button smashing and grinding to reach max level @ 20 hours a week.  And as the look of things I am already burnt out on the grind just watching the lackluster videos.
      This is not true and you are taking the quote far out of context. They said the average player will play for 10 months and for around 900 hours, so they have at least enough content to keep them busy. This can include crafting, exploring, raiding, pvp and whatever else. With pvp however, the player generated content will go way up. 

Don't go spreading lies and misinformation about AoC just because you're a warhammer fan.

• TrentHTrentH Member Posts: 44

For such a "mature" game, that quote sounds like a sure way to get preteens interested....c'mon... who shows off about boobs to promote a game, thats just getting desperate.  This isn't BMX XXX

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

Originally posted by Lhex

No thats not what the devs said. They said the average person has an account for 10 months, and roughly 900 hours. So the plan is to have 900+ hours of content in the game when it ships. They said absolutely nothing about leveling speed and those 900 hours.

• MLecl0001MLecl0001 Member Posts: 153

I am watching this game to see how the combat system works, and the PvP does have some points i do like.  However if you think that the mature rating will deter or keep kids from playing then you are deluding yourself.  So far from what I have seen it has brought a lot of the worst kinds of players to the game.

I am not saying all AoC fans are immature brats, but it seems the vocal majority on most forums I visit are.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

• AquakittyAquakitty Member Posts: 310

Originally posted by Lucifrank

For "twitch" skill-oriented games I tend to stick to gaming consoles, so I'm interested in how this game will combine more interactive combat with the traditional elements of an MMORPG. Admittedly, I had zero interest in this game initially (though I think Conan is a great license) but the more I read about it, the more it intrigues me. My main concern is they're gonna have to fall on one side of the fence (whether PC or console), since this game will ultimately be available for both platforms. I think if it's too twitch-based the mechanics could be a pain in the ass for PC gamers and give console players a definite advantage--whereas if it's the other way around, it may be more fulfilling for PC gamers but prove a dull experience for console gamers.

I never played EQOA, so maybe people who have played console-based MMORPGs could shed some light on how this has worked in the past (though I think this'll be the first title where PC and console gamers are playing on the same servers). Regardless, the devs' enthusiasm for this game is contagious and I'm excited to see how it turns out.

What the heck are you talking about?? PC not twitch based? You have to be joking, right? The BEST combat in ANY game ever is via keyboard and mouse.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

" We were shown the Black Ring Citadel, a high level dungeon for you and your closest 23 high level friends to overcome..."

Oh noes..... another end game raid which most players will not see. Wonder why do they come out with this kind of game play again? Didnt they learn from WoW?

RIP Orc Choppa

• CenthanCenthan Member Posts: 483
    Originally posted by TrentH

For such a "mature" game, that quote sounds like a sure way to get preteens interested....c'mon... who shows off about boobs to promote a game, thats just getting desperate.  This isn't BMX XXX

You know, this is exactly along the lines of what I was thinking as well. 

I’m sure I will try this game, along with all the other new ones that are coming out. However, when I see scantily clad “babes” in front of poster boards, and all of the naked references in the gameplay, I just roll my eyes, sigh, and wonder if this is the kind of stuff they try to pull when it’s a sub-par game.   Almost like they are desperate to get you to subscribe and will try any trick in the book to do so. This only knocks them down a couple levels in my book. Like maybe they just want the masses to buy the box, sign up for one month, and they make truck loads of money. Then, they don’t care if you quit after that. Eh, maybe I’m reading more into it than I should.

Originally posted by arctarus

" We were shown the Black Ring Citadel, a high level dungeon for you and your closest 23 high level friends to overcome..."
    Oh noes..... another end game raid which most players will not see. Wonder why do they come out with this kind of game play again? Didnt they learn from WoW?

Wow that was one massive assumption on your part. What makes you think that high level dungeons will be remotely like WoWs? Especially since PvE gear means nothing in PvP in the game, and that crafted gear is almost just as good. These dungeons are for those that enjoy them. Unlike WoW, they aren't necessary to compete. In AoC Player skill > gear every time. :)

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955
    I was pretty hyped about this game during the first year or so of development but as more and more info was released my interest began to drop. This article now appears to confirm two things that I was worried about, namely 'sparce ui & hybrid servers'. To me this simply says dumbed down for the X-Box. I could be wrong of course but I can't see how as the complexity of most modern mmo's would be completely out of the scope of a console.

The realtime combat system also may be innovative for an mmo but at the same time kind of defeats the point of it all. I am somewhat old fashioned I suppose when it comes to rpg's in that I believe the characters skills and abilities should be more important than the players twitch skills, which in AoC does not appear to be the case. Player skills should come to the fore in how the character is built and not how fast his thumb flies across a gamepad. This also of course raises the point that a mouse and keyboard ( especially the expensive gaming mice and keyboards ) are infinately better than an X-Box controller when it comes to twitch based games, lending more weight to the belief that the ui will be very much dumbed down to level the playing field. I will likely try the OB when it comes around and reserve final judgement until then but as of this moment my interest is barely above luke-warm.

Originally posted by Centhan

Originally posted by TrentH

You know, this is exactly along the lines of what I was thinking as well. 

I’m sure I will try this game, along with all the other new ones that are coming out. However, when I see scantily clad “babes” in front of poster boards, and all of the naked references in the gameplay, I just roll my eyes, sigh, and wonder if this is the kind of stuff they try to pull when it’s a sub-par game.   Almost like they are desperate to get you to subscribe and will try any trick in the book to do so. This only knocks them down a couple levels in my book. Like maybe they just want the masses to buy the box, sign up for one month, and they make truck loads of money. Then, they don’t care if you quit after that. Eh, maybe I’m reading more into it than I should.

That or 'gasp' maybe they made the game based on novels that are extremely brutal and sexual. Go read some R. E. Howard and see how much scantily clad women play a role in them. :) You are 'definitely' reading to much into it. I mean yea, sex sells. But the world of Conan, Hiboria, is very sexual in nature. The books were written 70 years ago. It was a different time. They didn't just add some sexual side-tones to the game to get it to sell. It's part of the lore.

• PietoroPietoro Member Posts: 162

"It's a mature game. Hyboria is a brutal world. It's savage. It's violent. It's sexy. There's no pink hearts and pretty fireballs. Heads will roll!"
    "We have boobs in our game!" The demo room was in the basement of the Fairmont hotel and rigged up to look like a dungeon. Booth babes were on hand to pass out grotesque shrunken heads on a string.                                                                                              
    "See? It's good to be a healer. You have a naked lady buffing you."                                                                  

'Mature' ...Right.  Then why does the guy sound so hilariously juvenile?

Newsflash... there's a way to make something mature, graphic and sexual without  acting like a horny pre-teen. The fact that Funcom can't seem to market their content except like randy little boys, makes me feel that 'adult' is the LAST word you could use to describe this game and it's devs.

You think Funcoms devs act like little kids. I'd suggest you avoid any video of WAR devs lmao.