Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why wow will continue to rule all others!

Comments

• emperorvlemperorvl Member Posts: 103

Yeah thats a great way to explain it all, bash the community. 

Lets continue with your logic...

Cars will continue to be built because people that buy them are too lazy to walk.

• LionexxLionexx Member UncommonPosts: 680
    Originally posted by Warblaze

Okay, i'm hearing all this talk about how World of Warcraft is going to lose its position as the number one mmo of all times because of games such as Age of Conan and Warhammer.  To be honest, i find that statement to be absolutely ridiculous.
    Blizzard is a company just like anny other, it needs to be able to compete with other games that developers are releasing, their reason of existence is profit, period.  If we look at games such as WAR and AOC, we can see that those games have some verry neat feautures like mounted combat, player housing,  Ships, etc etc.  Blizzard knows damn well that they will have to keep up with this to stay in the loop so they undoubtly will add some of these features into WOW.  That's not copying, it's called the evolution of the genre (and business strategy).
    As a matter of fact, i'm sure that the BC wasnt such a big deal because of this. Blizzard is aware of the comming competition and they didnt want to shoot all of their gunpowder at once.
    Seriously, everyone who's into marketing knows that big companies simply wont let go of a proven, money making concept. Simply dropping WoW would be the most stupid thing blizzard could ever do, they are making  hundreds of millions of dollars with this game, be real!  Instead, they will come up with a new expansion pack that not only would add new lands to explore, it will add a lot of new gameplay features like playerhousing, mounted combat, new area's, a graphical update, maybe even guild pvp, the works.  Heck, they might even open up the sea for naval combat! 
    So in closing:  Blizzard wont be dethroned. In order to compete with the others they will create a new expansion pack that will add most of  the things that i have written above. Thus, creating a game that has just as much (if not more)  to offer then AOC and Warhammer combined! 

*reaches into his pocket and takes out a Large Shield of Forum Protection:  +20 flameresistance 
                                                                                                                 +20 Mental Strength
                                                                                                                 +40 forum  invincibility *    

Blizzard will never ever add mounted combat, player housing and naval combat trust me.

Playing: Everthing
    Played: DAoC,AC2,EvE,SWG,WAR,MXO,CoX,EQ2,L2,LOTRO,SB,UO,WoW.
    I have played every MMO that has ever come out.

• dertomokdertomok Member Posts: 79
    WoW is popular game , more than seven million people play it , we can acctualy say that WoW is the most popular game of all . I don't know why people play it , why it is so intresting , but it is very popular , but not for long . You see , Blizzard made a lot of cash from WoW , someday WoW will be unpopular or worse , but Blizzard are creating games like : 1. StarCraft Ghost , 2. StarCraft 2 and Diablo 3 , so when WoW will be unpopular , other Blizzard games like StarCraft 2 and Diablo 3 will be one of the most popular games in the world , when it will be , Blizzard will make a lot of cash agian , than it will create more games and etc....

First you must give , only than you can take .

• NierroNierro Member UncommonPosts: 1,755

I heard that AoC and WAR are adding something that WoW can never have; PvP.

Seriously dude battlegrounds are 90% twinks now, and at 70 twinks means people who raid which is pretty much everyone.

• ArckenArcken Member Posts: 2,431

Originally posted by Sturmrabe

WoW will continue to win because it will always be the most mediocre game appealing to the most "center of the road" mediocre gamers... and azn grinders.

QFT.

Basically Ive always seen WoW as the equivalent of current popular music.  I cant think of a single innovation that WoW brings to the MMO world. Its very much just a dumbed down everquest in a much shinier package. No substance, all flash.

Sure, Justin Timberlake has sold a lot of albums and has tons of fans. Question is, is that proof of quality music , or better marketing?

Now enough with the "$" being linked to success.

WoW = Everquest for the ADHD generation

P.s. If you dont make an MMO with PVP being the most important direction, itll never be a good pvp game. You cant duct tape a halfassed pvp system to a PvE game and expect good results.

• LennuLennu Member Posts: 4

"My friends plays it why wouldn't I?" endless spin.

• texwashtexwash Member UncommonPosts: 35

Everyone in these forums keeps stating that WoW is the most sold game of all time.  I thought either Lineage1 or Lineage2 was the most sold of all time. 

Maybe to keep WoW alive after WAR or AOC Blizzard may finally add PvP content? 

• RavkeenRavkeen Member UncommonPosts: 310

This topic is not getting anywhere it is just everyone whining back and forward about what will happen to WOW when the new MMO's come out. Unless someone here can predict the future then  no one here will know if the game will die. But my view of the game is that the game really do suck and I hated I wasted my time playing it I wanted to shoot myself for wasting my time on that game. There is not a inch of skill in the game and the PVP is just plan grabage. 

Hi I'm Ravkeen! image

Emilia_Emi Lvl 56 Witch
    Now Playing : Black Desert Online
    "America is not at war, the US Military is at war, America is at the mall."

• mmcguire2mmcguire2 Member Posts: 310
    I only looked at the first post. The MMO world is in a rut and WoW is only fueling it. True WoW is a good game but only because people done know any different. When a game has 8 million people paying $15 each a month to play no one wants to change anything. The BC expansion is a great example, sure it was fun to have a few new levels but it really didn’t add to the game.

Too many new games are trying too hard to be a WoW killer and because of that there are trying to be too much to be like WoW. In my OP was WoW a fluke, Blizzard got lucky with a great game that made a great MMO. Right now I think the only game that might topple WoW could be WAR, only because it is already a great game and if done right could be a great MMO. But will it fix the MMO rut? I don’t think so.  
  • narvanarva Member Posts: 37

Originally posted by Sramota

Everyone knowing Blizz also knows that whenever a new game is about to launch, they'll toss out something faptastic.
    The whole new singleplay end-game experience was announced a day before Lotro went open beta, wasn't it?

singleplay end-game? This does not sound like Blizzard, could you please elaborate? Is it just some stupid painful repgrind with shitty rewards again or did they actually add something exciting and fun? If the latter I would consider resub.

Just to throw in my 2c. I dont see any upcoming game killing WOW. It's not that it cant be done, its just that noone has the vision and the talent to. Lets face it to even come close to WOW numbers you need a very casual friendly and polished game, a game where you can log in for 30 min and actually feel you accomplished something (sounds familiar ;0 )

WOW will probably be around for a long time but unless there is a switch in management they are running the risk of loosing a significant number of players next year. Quite a few people are leaving as we speak, just tired of the game in general. Alot of people are going to leave once AOC, WAR and other games comes out. The strategy of creating content for a few has worked very nicely for Blizzard so far but with more competion out there this strategy will work less and less good. The people in charge of WOW are raiders by heart, every other content are created as an afterthough or as a bandaid to keep the rest form leaving. Granted there is the arena now but if you dont raid or do the arena you pretty much still feel like a 2nd class citizen, much like the pre BC end game. That is why I got curious about the op comment about singleplayer endgame. Did Blizz actually change?

Thanks

• DownMonkeyDownMonkey Member CommonPosts: 159
    WoW pulled in millions of non-MMORPG b.net players. No other game is going to be able to top that. I'd also like to point out that I don't think WoW has ever had the top sub numbers. Ever.
    MrMelGibson

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884
    Originally posted by 17hmr

Okay, i'm hearing all this talk about how World of Warcraft is going to lose its position as the number one mmo of all times because of games such as Age of Conan and Warhammer.  To be honest, i find that statement to be absolutely ridiculous.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Well, ya know, your probably right, theres always plenty of nerds like you to support the game, so it will probably never lose popularity. take some time off and go do some sit ups. 

Hhaahaha, a nerd calling another nerd a nerd, priceless!

• WarblazeWarblaze Member UncommonPosts: 178

Originally posted by 17hmr

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Well, ya know, your probably right, theres always plenty of nerds like you to support the game, so it will probably never lose popularity. take some time off and go do some sit ups. 

/sigh...  if you would have taken the time to actually read any of my other posts in this thread you would have found out that i'm not playing WoW anymore.  I'm not supporting it, i am just saying WoW will not lose it's number 1 position as leading mmo. Is that so hard to comprehend for you?  Unlike some other neurotic lunatics out here, im not the kind of person who goes berzerk on a game i finished playing or got bored with, just to make others quit to.

Oh and since you brought it up, don't worry about my health... im in perfect shape and condition. But thanks for the heads-up annyway

Update:  Blizzard has announced two new features, according to a blue poster over at the official wow forums blizzard will add in-game voice chat functionalities as well as guildbanks(!).  He told us that these new features will arrive somewhere between "now and the next expansion"

This is what i mean with new gameplay elements. I also think that we can safely assume now that there is a new expansion pack comming. 

source:  forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html

• davidw123davidw123 Member Posts: 70

Voice chats don’t really bother me – I can just imagine hordes of kids running around the place shouting "haha lol pwned u noob!" every 5 minutes – but guild banks would be quite a nice feature.

• SilverminkSilvermink Member UncommonPosts: 289

What WoW did for MMOs is they made a game that works. For the most part, even at release, WoW has run on almost everyone's computer, with decent results. Every MMO that tried to push the envelope failed to take off. Most game developers don't see this. Many gamers don't even see this. All the features in the world won't make a game popular if the players can't play it. EQ2 tried it. Vanguard tried it. AoC might try it. Lotro didn't, and was successful. They offered a low resolution textures for people with lower computers. WoW also is Vibrant... Colorful. I liked Vanguard, but I looked at WoW after I quit Vanguard and was surprised. Vanguard was supposed to have great realistic graphics, but to me it just looked plain. WoW might be cartoony, but it looks nice. There is only so much brown dirt and grey concrete you can look at.  I just wish developers would put half as much effort into their code as they do their graphics.

As far as PvP, I don't think any game that offers a PvE server, or even many PvE areas will ever satisfy the PvP crowd. Having meaningful world PvP precludes the PvE crowd. Having to design seperate PvE and PvP rules for the same area would be huge investment. Might as well right seperate games. I don't think PvP in AoC will be as popular because of this. I am not much interested in War so I am not sure.

With all the new details comming from Blizzard atm, the only thing that comes to my mind right now is: I TOLD YOU SO

Destroyable city's, siege weapons, new classes...  Not just same old same old but meaningfull pvp and new gameplay elements.

WoW will indeed continue to rule all others for a long time to come.

• ormstungaormstunga Member Posts: 736

"WoW wont be dethroned by WAR or AoC"

another one for the 'stating the obvious' archieve. thumbs up for the effort tho 

*edit* I'm pretty sure I read 'destroyable buildings' not cities but hey, I could damn well be wrong 

• KenorvKenorv Member Posts: 112

WoW is the Super Mario Brothers of MMO's. It's a simple game that's easy to play which appeals to the casual player. There's no real roleplaying necessary. You can jump in the game without knowing anything about the lore and still get to max level. You can solo from 1 to 70. Most of the quests are simple. Even in raid groups, your skill level doesn't have to be that high to contribute to raids. The battle system is that simple. A lot of games have come out and tried to copy WoW's system and none of them have been able to draw the numbers that WoW. has.

The only way I see WoW losing it's popularity  is if the player base decides that it wants more, a lot more than WoW has to offer. So far that hasn't happened. Maybe there will be a game that comes out in the future that offers something that attracts players away from WoW but as of right now it looks like that most people like the simplicity of WoW.

• omgwtfbsomgwtfbs Member Posts: 7

Assuming the majority of the WoW community are not hardcore WoW fanbois, WoW will not continue to "rule all," unless Blizz steps up and makes a viable end game.  As it stands WoWs end game is almost non existant.  Raiding hours on end to get gear, just to raid and kill the same mobs is WoWs end game. No thx.  However this endgame is only played by a few WoW players.  The majority of the WoW community is the casual gamer.  This is the main reason why WoW is doing well.  If they were all hardcore gamers, they would get bored of the game very fast.  With out much (if any) of an end game, WoW will lose a lot of the their playerbase to games with better end game.  The bad pvp system also leaves WoW vulnerable to games with better PvP systems as well.

I think, if blizz implements a good PvP system, that WoW would be a much better game.  It would give the game some (imo) viable end game.

• RecantRecant Member UncommonPosts: 1,586

Originally posted by Kenorv

WoW is the Super Mario Brothers of MMO's. It's a simple game that's easy to play which appeals to the casual player. There's no real roleplaying necessary. You can jump in the game without knowing anything about the lore and still get to max level. You can solo from 1 to 70. Most of the quests are simple. Even in raid groups, your skill level doesn't have to be that high to contribute to raids. 

Roleplaying isn't necessary in any MMO..  You don't need to know anything about lore in any MMO to get to max level or skill.  You can solo in most MMOs to max level.   Most of the quests in most MMOs are simple. 

And some of the harder raids really do require that you know what you're doing.

Is WoW the only MMO you've played?

Still waiting for your Holy Grail MMORPG? Interesting...

• SunriderSunrider Member UncommonPosts: 527

Okay, i'm hearing all this talk about how World of Warcraft is going to lose its position as the number one mmo of all times because of games such as Age of Conan and Warhammer. To be honest, i find that statement to be absolutely ridiculous.
    Blizzard is a company just like anny other, it needs to be able to compete with other games that developers are releasing, their reason of existence is profit, period. If we look at games such as WAR and AOC, we can see that those games have some verry neat feautures like mounted combat, player housing, Ships, etc etc. Blizzard knows damn well that they will have to keep up with this to stay in the loop so they undoubtly will add some of these features into WOW. That's not copying, it's called the evolution of the genre (and business strategy).
    As a matter of fact, i'm sure that the BC wasnt such a big deal because of this. Blizzard is aware of the comming competition and they didnt want to shoot all of their gunpowder at once.
    Seriously, everyone who's into marketing knows that big companies simply wont let go of a proven, money making concept. Simply dropping WoW would be the most stupid thing blizzard could ever do, they are making hundreds of millions of dollars with this game, be real! Instead, they will come up with a new expansion pack that not only would add new lands to explore, it will add a lot of new gameplay features like playerhousing, mounted combat, new area's, a graphical update, maybe even guild pvp, the works. Heck, they might even open up the sea for naval combat!
    So in closing: Blizzard wont be dethroned. In order to compete with the others they will create a new expansion pack that will add most of the things that i have written above. Thus, creating a game that has just as much (if not more) to offer then AOC and Warhammer combined!

Ok, despite every and all bone in my body thats screaming "fan boi", i'll do my best to resist this impulse.

According to your post Blizzard and WoW is doing no wrong by adding these things. Unfortunately tho, what you seem to lack in this post is the realization that Blizzard has been promising these things from the beginning and are only NOW starting to implement them in order to keep up. Also along this line, no, no one is stealing anything or copy-writen ideas here, but at the same time no one is doing anything original and the depth of WoW is not increasing, in fact its further pushing the "ideal" cookie-cutter MMO because of this.

You may ask why i say its pushing the ideal "cookie-cutter" MMO. This is because these ideas of hero classes, player housing, destroying structures etc have been CRIED for since the game has released and blizzard has failed to implement anything short of a level cap increase and to make WoW into the ideal MMO with the TBC due to its endless grind. If i wanted to grind rep for hours and hours and hours i would have started playing L2. The other reason they do nothing to bring this game forward or "evolve" it as you so state is due to the fact that these ideas are nothing new and Blizzard has sat on their asses waiting around to actually implement something that has been available since launch. (you think that locked instance in SW is for show?)

Lets break things down here now. You state that Blizzard has held off on these updates and made a shitty expansion which did nothing but made enemies another color and added faction grinds, not to mention making all previous level 60 stuff obsolete... so that they can turn around and do the same thing to keep up with new games that are releasing? I think not. I wouldn't be interested in leaving WoW if it offered everything these other games are offering... would you? ESPECIALLY with the time investment I would have there.

This new expansion is going to probably sink home the fact that your endless rep grinding in TBC was absolutely worthless, your gear is worthless, and all the new stuff is recolored, re-shaded enemies that you've fought for the last 70 levels.

Oh, not to mention the fact that all your gear will just be re-done with a cool new mask or little wings.

Update: Blizzard has announced two new features, according to a blue poster over at the official wow forums blizzard will add in-game voice chat functionalities as well as guildbanks(!). He told us that these new features will arrive somewhere between "now and the next expansion"
    This is what i mean with new gameplay elements. I also think that we can safely assume now that there is a new expansion pack comming.

source: forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html

And just so you know, they were suppose to implement the above-mentioned things you brought up here over 6 months ago. Think there just holding off on that big expansion to compete with the new MMO's? Or maybe its the fact that all the money you pay and you get shit for it... kinda like how both sides got the shamans/pali with TBC... oh, and the devs stated it was "just too hard keeping pali and shaman content seperate".

Wonder what that 15$'s a month is for when you're pounding out more then $40-$50's for a re-colored wonderworld.

"And after blizzard takes over the world, they are gonna gather a bunch of lemmings, sit on their fat asses near a cliff, and watch the little fuzzy bastards suicide dive into the ground below. . . . . all just for their own entertainment."

• tenthringtenthring Member Posts: 173

WoW PvP will never be good.  If they cared about it they would have made a genuine attempt over the last 3 years.

• davvindavvin Member UncommonPosts: 154

Seriously, everyone who's into marketing knows that big companies simply wont let go of a proven, money making concept. Simply dropping WoW would be the most stupid thing blizzard could ever do, they are making  hundreds of millions of dollars with this game, be real!  Instead, they will come up with a new expansion pack that not only would add new lands to explore, it will add a lot of new gameplay features like playerhousing, mounted combat, new area's, a graphical update, maybe even guild pvp, the works.  Heck, they might even open up the sea for naval combat! 

so you think they'll bring out expansions--which they will make people pay for, to bring out gameplay features which have been in mmorpg's for years and years? that doesn't make them smart, it makes them seem greedy and stupid.  at least to me.

• SunriderSunrider Member UncommonPosts: 527

Originally posted by davvin
    Originally posted by Warblaze Seriously, everyone who's into marketing knows that big companies simply wont let go of a proven, money making concept. Simply dropping WoW would be the most stupid thing blizzard could ever do, they are making hundreds of millions of dollars with this game, be real! Instead, they will come up with a new expansion pack that not only would add new lands to explore, it will add a lot of new gameplay features like playerhousing, mounted combat, new area's, a graphical update, maybe even guild pvp, the works. Heck, they might even open up the sea for naval combat!
    so you think they'll bring out expansions--which they will make people pay for, to bring out gameplay features which have been in mmorpg's for years and years? that doesn't make them smart, it makes them seem greedy and stupid. at least to me.

seems greedy and stupid to me as well...

"And after blizzard takes over the world, they are gonna gather a bunch of lemmings, sit on their fat asses near a cliff, and watch the little fuzzy bastards suicide dive into the ground below. . . . . all just for their own entertainment."