Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning: Davis and Perkins Interview

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Recently, Managing Editor Jon Wood had the opportunity to sit down with Mark Davis (Deputy Content Director) and Steve Perkins (Director) to talk about Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning. In this first part of a two-part interview, Wood talks to Davis and Perkins about the WAR IP, beta, innovations and more.

Recently, I had the opportunity to sit down with Mark Davis and Steve Perkins from EA Mythic's Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning. Mark is a Deputy Content Director on the project, and Steve is serving as a Director.

During the interview, we talked about a number of different things. Today, in this article, I am going to talk about some of the questions that I asked about the game, many of which came directly from our forums here at MMORPG.com. In the next part of this article, I am going to look at the starting zones and quests for the Dwarfs and the Greenskins.

IP Questions

The first few questions that I asked were asked for clarification, starting with the exact license that they have. We all know and can see the influences that the miniatures game is having on WAR, but I was curious as to whether the license extended beyond that, to all of the Warhammer (excluding 40K) IP.

Read the whole article here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• machiavellimachiavelli Member UncommonPosts: 15

I hope that the so called "WoW clone" alot of players are using will be less now but i doubt it

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Originally posted by machiavelli

I hope that the so called "WoW clone" alot of players are using will be less now but i doubt it

Technically, WoW is a "clone" of warhammer, and Starcraft is a "clone" of 40k.

Its fact, Blizzard were major fans of war hammer, but they couldn’t get the IP, so they made there own.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• NoctiqueNoctique Member Posts: 216
    Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

Technically, WoW is a "clone" of warhammer, and Starcraft is a "clone" of 40k.

Its fact, Blizzard were major fans of war hammer, but they couldn’t get the IP, so they made there own.

Yup, this is fact. 

Its like batman, think of WoW as the tv serious and WAR as the movie.... Or somthing like that.

Looking forward to what I read about all these new things put in to this MMO are making it sound better by the day.

Die Noctique, By Day and Night

• cakebycakeby Member Posts: 1

I think that WAR will better reflect the war that is raging between both side.

• butters88butters88 Member Posts: 379

Man i really enjoyed reading the part about the "WoW clone." I hope some of those ignorant fools read that and maybe think twice about what they have said.

• RomseRomse Member Posts: 198

Typically that comes from WoW Fanboiz and like any fanboi... they don't need to be right... they just need to maintain the same hyperbolic rethoric that conveys in one images what it would take explanation and references to deflate.

WoW didn't invent much... so frankly... when I hear people comparing things to WoW (other than subscriptions, revenues, popularity or  quantity of content where WoW is truelly the reference... Lineage doesnt count when it comes to comparing with Occidental games) and coming up with all sorts of negative judgements without even citing the actual innovators I find their list of references very small for people who would spew criticism...

Stupidity is an unstoppable force and people labeling things in spite of their limited knowledge will never stop.

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

Nice to hear some info about how the beta is progressing.   Not much new info about the game but it's interesting to hear from different folks at Mythic apart from Paul B and the usual suspects :)

Originally posted by Romse
     people labeling things in spite of their limited knowledge will never stop.

Regretfully true.  Articles like this might help but face it, we're going to have to be correcting people all the way to release of this game and for years afterward.   It just can't be helped. 

• rmlashlrmlashl Member Posts: 1

Yes please explain.

• yegnatsyegnats Member Posts: 157
    Originally posted by Itanius

Originally posted in the article:

They have also stated that "The more you participate in our community, the better your chances are of getting into the beta."

What community are they referring to? I didn't think there was an official WAR community/forums...

I agree, where can I go to be seen by the devs, and show them that I'm worthy to be in the beta test RIGHT NOW? Because I'll actually come with my harshest criticism, and report every bug I encounter, to help polish this game down to something that will make big bucks in the coming years. I'd actually pay $7.50 a month to test WAR, which is half of the usual brand new MMORPG monthly fare.

Once you go go whack, you'll never go back.

What is this "whack", you say? Check out the links!
    http://www.thenewmystics.com
    http://www.joyrevolution.com
    http://www.thenewecstatics.co.uk

• GruntsmorGruntsmor Member Posts: 3

Ive been playing WOW since it went gold...and Im glad to see Warhammer giving them a run for the best online MMO.

What made WoW the best is they made it easier to play the game and lvl up to 60 and now lvl 70 its a slightly better grind than EQ.

But what I dislike about WOW is they have no content other than the grind and a lame story line in your quest log that half the time

doesnt give you enuf info. They have no mapping system in-game...you have to get add-ons if you want a decent map. The list is of complaints is long.

I like the concept of the realm war and played DAOC. Stopped playing that because its a grind fest also and the ranged classes

were to powerfull.  The other main problem with Wow is like my situation now with my Lvl 70 Shaman who cant finish making a epic

Helmet cause the one item I need is only a drop in a Instance Ive just stated to play. You compete with the whole raid to get this one

item, so its been weeks since Ive been unalbe to make my first epic piece of armour....the wow end mantra is this: Instance or die.

And thats lame.

So im looking forward to playing a game I dont have to level up endlessly for years and nvr do any real pvp like in DAOC. Wow is really

a PvE game with some dungeons you can pvp endlessly for gear and or items that takes endless repeating of the same boring grinding

at rep to be able to get that one item...oh yeah the end-game content to WoW is now being handled by two X-EQ devs...and thats what is

going to kill WOW....boring grinding at endlessly repeatative instances, just to get some lame gear that allows you greater ganking

abilities of lower-level players....boring...dumb...lame when will MMO devs make a game that isn't boring and lame?

• AnesthesiaAnesthesia Member Posts: 2
    The idea that they'll be pulling ideas from the entire history of Warhammer is very exciting... I've been leafing through my old Fantasy Roleplay books and White Dwarf magazines, and there's just so much history and lore built up that they have to draw on.
    Will there be old mobs like Fimir coming back? Stuff form the novels?
    I don't think there's a single other IP you could use for a fantasy game with so much to draw on for story and expansions...

I am the Gimme Cat!

• yegnatsyegnats Member Posts: 157
    Originally posted by Anesthesia

The idea that they'll be pulling ideas from the entire history of Warhammer is very exciting... I've been leafing through my old Fantasy Roleplay books and White Dwarf magazines, and there's just so much history and lore built up that they have to draw on. Will there be old mobs like Fimir coming back? Stuff form the novels? I don't think there's a single other IP you could use for a fantasy game with so much to draw on for story and expansions...

Well, there is Tolkien, but he didn't design all that lore with the idea in mind that it fits into a game. Which is why I feel that LoTRO falls short, in my opinion. Warhammer's lore, on the other hand, is ideally suited for gaming, as it started out, and is still fairly popular as a table-top, and is now being converted into a MMORPG. As I said earlier, I would pay to get into the beta RIGHT NOW!

Once you go go whack, you'll never go back.

What is this "whack", you say? Check out the links!
    http://www.thenewmystics.com
    http://www.joyrevolution.com
    http://www.thenewecstatics.co.uk

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

In terms of the art style, Warhammer Online is staying true to the original look of the Warhammer Universe
    I have seen people say this, but all the Warhammer art I've ever seen has been quite different from this comparatively comical look. Granted, I doubt I have seen anything of the 'original' Warhammer. Does anyone have any examplary images from the first edition? Google hasn't helped me.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

Originally posted by Anesthesia

The idea that they'll be pulling ideas from the entire history of Warhammer is very exciting... I've been leafing through my old Fantasy Roleplay books and White Dwarf magazines, and there's just so much history and lore built up that they have to draw on. Will there be old mobs like Fimir coming back? Stuff form the novels? I don't think there's a single other IP you could use for a fantasy game with so much to draw on for story and expansions...

Forgotten Realms, HârnWorld of Darkness, maybe In Nomine, perhaps Shadowrun....

Many pen & paper settings qualify, I think. Warhammer just had an unusually high amount for a tabletop miniatures wargame. Which probably means it will have an unusually high amount for an MMO -- since no other tabletop, let alone pen & paper, settings have been used for an MMO, yet.

Except Eberron, which is quite a new, underdeveloped setting. CCP will be bringing us the World of Darkness in a few years, though....

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • Honetly. I wouldn't worry about the "WOW clone" factor. Imagine, how many games can be played with same deck of cards. All are interesting. Even all the graphics are the same, Warhammer can still be a completely different game. 

I have played EQ, EQ2, DAOC, some shadowbane, WOW.  I really like the DAOC. I agreed Davis and Perkins's view on MMOG. It is the gaming experience not the items that makes the MMOG fun. Coz the things that remind you after playing or quiting for a few years are what you did, not what you had in game. 

• DelondialDelondial Member UncommonPosts: 124

I'm guilty! I first saw it and in ignorace said "it looks like WoW, Wtf?" but via some research and many hours of listening to Paul's rantings (which is uber entertaining to watch mind you) I'm a believer that WoW is in fact the poser! Shame on you Blizzard for trying to wreck up the innovative breath of fresh air War offers from your rinse and repeat crapfest by making me think that War was a knock off.

In short *points at Blizzard* I blame you for everything. ><

Clever things.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

To say it looked like WoW when very few screenshots and almost no content information shouldn't be considered a crime. Rants and rave in favor or one or the other....blech. When I first saw WAR being discussed, I thought to myself 'Oh boy! Can it possibly be like the novels?!?' So far what I hear/read in terms of the underlying 'spirit' it sounds right on.

Changes to the standard MMO 'mold' haven't happened in a big title game for a while and it sounds like WAR is going to be 'cutting edge' in terms of groundbreaking gaming, at least at the start. Kudos!

• ZappyZappy Member Posts: 65
    Its not that I like WoW, but there is nothing wrong with WoW copying Warhammer from my point of view. The more the devs shamelessly steal from eachother the better games we get!

I am interested in the 'more activity in the WAR community = better chances at BETA' comment. The comment below has been on the warhammeronline.com site since it first started as active, to the best of my knowledge. Are some of the sites listed in 'Forums and Fansites' passing information to Mythic? Are Mythic representatives looking through posts and sending mail to folks who appear worthy?

Or was that comment not entirely spot on, as it were?

***Q: Can you point me to the game's official forum?

A: Mythic does not run its own forums, but we strongly support the efforts of the community and their many forums and fan sites. We will regularly check-in with these sites to share news and information about the development process, and hear from the community regarding their hopes and desires for the game. Please visit our Forums & Fansites page for a list of sites.***

In the unlikely event that someone knows or will comment....inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks!

• ZappyZappy Member Posts: 65
    Mythic devs are active on many different boards. Warhammer Alliance, WAR-RvR, VN boards (used as official unofficial daoc forums) etc. Maybe those sites get some keys to give out to their users through contests or some such.

Personally, I think they are referring to their own internal Beta forums (which I assume must exist somewhere). The more the Beta testers post, the more they get to play. A vicious cycle that keeps the rest of us from ever having the hope of closed Beta! AGGGHHH.

Ahem. Sorry. That was my tiny bit of frustration buildup. Have to let off the pressure once every couple months.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Originally posted by Digna

Personally, I think they are referring to their own internal Beta forums (which I assume must exist somewhere). The more the Beta testers post, the more they get to play. A vicious cycle that keeps the rest of us from ever having the hope of closed Beta! AGGGHHH.

Ahem. Sorry. That was my tiny bit of frustration buildup. Have to let off the pressure once every couple months.
    Wait wait the more you post in their internal beta forum, the one for beta players only .... the more change you have to what GET INTO BETA?

iT IS THE waR FANBOY SITES , war-rvr war allience,onlywar etc.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• diarheasaucediarheasauce Member Posts: 60

Y do u name something an INTERVIEW when it takes less than 1min to read?

I dont like seeing a huge "NEW INTERVIEW NOTHING NEW POST"  come on , make me have to stretch my brain and accutly sit up in my chair rather than slouchin while eating a taco bell burito for breackfeast

WORD LIFE LAWL SAUCE

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Originally posted by diarheasauce

Y do u name something an INTERVIEW when it takes less than 1min to read?

I dont like seeing a huge "NEW INTERVIEW NOTHING NEW POST"  come on , make me have to stretch my brain and accutly sit up in my chair rather than slouchin while eating a taco bell burito for breackfeast

What did this add to your post count when you were really just venting your little emo feelings about how the world sucks and everyones not as cool and smart as you, soo you hate the world and comb your hair over and dye it black and come here and go this sucks ... im emo.

Why that huh why.

PS this has to do with this post and the last 4 he has made they all read like this. (go edit them quick :))

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• TolwynnTolwynn Member Posts: 240

Eweeee...they said the evil woooooord

Instanced.

I hope, WH doesnt turn out to be fully a small scale affair,...that would indeed suck-eth,

I am hoping the game will, at least, have battles in the scope and range DAOC had in its first two years of being released. 200vs200vs200+.(merlin server)..was awesome. thats gaming! crap flying at you from all sides..not knowing when the next attack(s) or death(s) came from.

I truely hope its not just a bunch of 32vs32 or 64vs64 WoW/Battlefield1942 maps;(.....or even worse - 1 group vs 1 group....Blah..thats just lameness to its fullest. Totally sucks and gets boring REAL fast when your playing against a foe that you KNOW and EXPECT every single specific attack(s)/defens(es) to come from...blah

thats like playing checkers or tic-tac-toe

That would horrendously suck

-eth.

------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    <insert gloat of ubar toon here>
    <insert random game here>
    <insert random game here>
    ---------------------------
    <insert witty anecdote here>