Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning: Jeff Hickman and Paul Barnett: Games Day

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Joe Iuliani and Anthony Love attended the recent Games Day for Games Workshop's Warhammer. Of course, EA Mythic had a presence, and Joe and Anythony were able to catch up with that team's dynamic duo Jeff Hickman and Paul Barnett for an interview. Today, we present Part One, come back tomorrow to read part two!

Paul:

What's great about this place is that it's Games Day. So what you got is our game with all the other people who are obsessed about the Warhammer idea. Some people are here because obsessed because they have read the novels and really like the background. A lot of people here because they are obsessed about the miniatures and the realization of the IP, but there are TON of people who are obsessed about our computer game.

Joe:

I know, I saw the line all the way around your booth.

Jeff:

Oh yeah, it's crazy.

Paul:

and what it shows is just how strong and wondrous the idea of Warhammer is that you can do it as table top game, as a novel as a comic, you can also do it as a computer MMO and that's because we are making a hobby. We're not making a computer game, this isn't a wash, rinse, repeat out the door, forget. This is a community; we just had Games Workshop in our building.

Read the whole interview here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• defenestratedefenestrate Member CommonPosts: 578

Awesome that a guild built them a paper mache squig!

• RiSqU3RiSqU3 Member Posts: 67

haha yeah...i cant wait for this game :x

• PaksPaks Member Posts: 263

You know the picture these guys paint I think really makes you want to play this game even if you'd just found out about it!  They're just  entertaining as hell!  And the Squig part was awesome, no doubt! 

• evil13evil13 Member CommonPosts: 359

"Sounds good on paper, plays like shit."

According to you or according to people who actually, you know, *played* the game? I am yet to read a review of someone who played the game and agreed with your statement.

• davvindavvin Member UncommonPosts: 154

Originally posted by knives22

Sounds good on paper, plays like shit.
    oh were you at the Games Day also? what race/class did you play and why was it not fun?

really it sounds very cool, i would've liked to hear more from them about the game, but i know they probably didn't have much time that day. looking forward to hearing more from them.

• IthurielIthuriel Member CommonPosts: 179

Very articulate and constructively written.

Honestly, if you were at Games Day and played the game and had a well-written and laid out list of valid critiques, fine, post them and I'd be more than happy to read it.  You should write for Car and Driver, would love to see your review for a new auto "This car sux, like driving a big turd with wheels.  Kthx."

Yes, interviews with devs are of course going to be biased and generally passionate, but I do think that the amount of fire and joy these guys have for their game does set it apart and will help to move copies.  Been waiting for this game to come out since it was announced, and the excellent PR they've done has been effective.  They're doing their jobs well.

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939
    Originally posted by davvin

oh were you at the Games Day also? what race/class did you play and why was it not fun?

really it sounds very cool, i would've liked to hear more from them about the game, but i know they probably didn't have much time that day. looking forward to hearing more from them.

His poster of Ahnuld as Conan told him that AoC would be much much better then WAR.  So see he has inside information. 

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

• IthurielIthuriel Member CommonPosts: 179

Yes of course he's a troll who's just dropping some flamebait and we should all ignore him, but I just really wanted to type "big turd with wheels" in a post on here.  Sorry.

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

Very amusing article, you can tell these guys are having fun and are excited about the game.   That's important if you're making a game.

I have yet to read a single *legitimate* post in a Forum, magazine or blog saying they did not enjoy previewing this game.   There hasn't been one that gives a list of problems with this early version of WAR and explains in a mature or intelligent manner why this game was not fun. 

That makes it pretty easy to figure out the real posts from the pathetic troll attempts.   And it's more than can be said about many upcoming games that are supposed to be coming out before WAR, so that brings out the trolls. 

• KyanMehwulfeKyanMehwulfe Member Posts: 9

Interesting interview. Not much meat but entertaining banter.

• defenestratedefenestrate Member CommonPosts: 578

Yeah I agree, there really wasnt any new info. It was pretty much just chatting it up with those 2, on the other hand, there isnt much more info that they can put out at this point in time without sounding like a broken record. They was to send out information through IV's with a nice slow drip, so while we're still being kept alive by the slow release of the drug ( WAR info ) it is barely enough for us to survive on. Thus making WAR junkies who troll every community site where they can understand the language for that all golden little piece of info that will make your day that much brighter.

I am a WAR junky.

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Fun reading it, but they doesn't really say anything new. Would have been funnier to see the interview in a movie, but still pretty fun. They seem to have some problems with focusing on one problem.

• godpuppetgodpuppet Member Posts: 1,416

As said before, Amusing interview. But no information of substance.

---

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

kind of a pointless interview but interesting

• RoyspiRoyspi Member Posts: 202

shame it wasnt a video interview. Those two are golden live lol.

• 0over00over0 Member UncommonPosts: 488

Clearly a couple of greenskins at heart.

I think what stands out in the interview is that those two Devs really "get" the world. That's important.

Apply lemon juice and candle flame here to reveal secret message.

• ivan50265ivan50265 Member Posts: 67

you know the more they talk about htis game the more likely i'm going to buy it if i don't make beta just to see. it does sound like fun.

• AdythielAdythiel Member Posts: 726
    Originally posted by defenestrate

Yeah I agree, there really wasnt any new info. It was pretty much just chatting it up with those 2, on the other hand, there isnt much more info that they can put out at this point in time without sounding like a broken record. They was to send out information through IV's with a nice slow drip, so while we're still being kept alive by the slow release of the drug ( WAR info ) it is barely enough for us to survive on. Thus making WAR junkies who troll every community site where they can understand the language for that all golden little piece of info that will make your day that much brighter.

I am a WAR junky.

Yes, not much content but it wasn't really a very long interview. On the other hand, you can't tell me you wouldn't jump at the chance to sit down and talk to these two guys for 15 minutes.

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

Originally posted by Adythiel

Originally posted by defenestrate

I am a WAR junky.

Yes, not much content but it wasn't really a very long interview. On the other hand, you can't tell me you wouldn't jump at the chance to sit down and talk to these two guys for 15 minutes.

Err no thanks, I saw a video of (I believe it was the guy on the left) revving up Warhammer at some convention or something, he never actually said anything informative about the game, just about how fun and addictive it will be and repeatedly stated how it would take precedence over all other aspects of your life.

I used to play WoW, a lot.. and having come from that, it really put me off this game. Perhaps it's just my personal epxerience and the bullcrap he spouted probably meant nothing but damn it really did put me off, but the hyping from some of these guys is bordering on immature.

I realise this game will be immensely popular, unless its a complete failure like DnD, which I think will be unlikely, I just fear this game may be turned into a cookiecutter like WoW, something to appease the masses, if so I will stay well away. But then  again we will see how things pan out on realease. Just my 2c.

O_o o_O

• MidavegMidaveg Member Posts: 296

Its against the NDA to release any game infomation except some classes. The interview is interesting. Read it or wait till closed beta.

All canceled. Waiting on Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning.

• Cyris90Cyris90 Member Posts: 5

Err no thanks, I saw a video of (I believe it was the guy on the left) revving up Warhammer at some convention or something, he never actually said anything informative about the game, just about how fun and addictive it will be and repeatedly stated how it would take precedence over all other aspects of your life.
    I used to play WoW, a lot.. and having come from that, it really put me off this game. Perhaps it's just my personal epxerience and the bullcrap he spouted probably meant nothing but damn it really did put me off, but the hyping from some of these guys is bordering on immature.
    I realise this game will be immensely popular, unless its a complete failure like DnD, which I think will be unlikely, I just fear this game may be turned into a cookiecutter like WoW, something to appease the masses, if so I will stay well away. But then  again we will see how things pan out on realease. Just my 2c.

Well, to be honest if you had read any of the actual innovation this game is attempting you would know that there is no way it could possibly be cookie cutter. Do your research before you put your 2c in, because when you don't, then it isn't worth 2c.

Cyris

---There is nothing to say to the dead, therefor I have nothing to say to you---