Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning: Games Day Hands-On

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

This past weekend. MMORPG.com's Joe Iuliani and Anthony Love attended the Games Workshop Games Day in Baltimore, MD. In this article, Anthony gives us his account of a hands-on preview of Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning.

Very few things give me cause to get up at 5:00am, but this year's Games Day put on by Games Workshop in Baltimore, MD was just such a day. Games Day is an annual event where players of Games Workshop's various miniatures based table top games compete for fun and prizes. This year, Electronic Arts was present with a booth devoted to the EA Mythic developed game; Warhammer Online, Age of Reckoning, and boy am I glad I was there!

Earlier in the day, MMORPG.com contributor Joseph Iuliani and I were lucky enough to have a chance to speak privately with Senior Producer Jeff Hickman and Design Manager, Paul Barnett. The details of that interview will be covered by Joseph. However, coming away from that interview, I can say that these two guys are both excited about and devoted to this game. Shortly afterwards they were both busy hosting an hour (plus) long conference about the game, attended by several hundred fans. I can tell they both love Warhammer and are striving to translate the table top game as best they can into a unique and fun MMO. To sum up their feelings on the game quickly Jeff says, "War is everywhere" and Paul says, "If you don't like war and killing, this game won't be for you". I really enjoyed meeting this comical pair who were more than willing to discuss their aspirations for the game.

Read the whole article here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• GlacianNexGlacianNex Member UncommonPosts: 652
    Sounds like he was having fun, although the whole golden "!" over the NPC to demonstrate the quest is a WoW concept, I think they need to come up with something different.

I hope the PvP will be as good as he says it is !
  • mokonamokona Member Posts: 51
    Man it sounded cool and makes me wish I was there. And for once I look forword to a game that has PvP, I hated WoWs pvp becouse ppl where just mean and it was all about the gear..... Ill save that rant for later. But this only makes me want the game more.

If god loves the fools ,and god loves every one, dose that mean we are all fools.

• ArawonArawon Member Posts: 1,108
    Is there crafting in the game...and if so please detail ?
  • DitchdiggerDitchdigger Member Posts: 8
    BTW, it's called "Games Day," not "Gamer Day."  See http://gamesday.us.games-workshop.com/ .

Being a long-time Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 (the sci-fi version) player I bought my tickets months ago, so it was just an excellent bonus that they handed out cards at the registration desk containing promo codes for beta entry.  Entering the code gets you the "Baltimore Games Day Attendee" association.  Each card had a unique code, though, so don't expect anyone to be able to email you their code and have it work for you.

My wife and I didn't feel like standing in the line to try out the WAR beta (it was a couple hundred feet long throughout the entire convention) but they had a big-screen TV set up at one end showing onlookers a copy of somebody's monitor.  We stood and watched for a minute and it looked awesome... very fluid and action-packed.  People were running around charging up attacks and launching them at each other in nonstop action; the combat didn't look anything like DAoC where you run up to an opponent, stand facing each other, and fire off a move every 5 seconds or so.  People were getting launched to and fro by powerful attacks, awesome special effects were streaking by... very cool.  Reminded me of the rare times in DAoC's battlegrounds where two equal forces met by chance in the middle of the path and just laid into each other, rather than standing back and Nearsighting each other blind.

I'm not sure whether we're allowed to discuss what new stuff Jeff and Paul were revealing at the Mythic panel, but I'll say that defensive tanks will actually be USEFUL in PvP.  As far as "old stuff," Paul did a funny impression of the "button-masher cleric" from other games, poking a key in the air with one finger and yelling "I'm Healing, I'm healing, I'm healing, I'm healing-- BORING!" :)  He was trying to emphasize how the "healers" in WAR have to get involved in combat in order to be effective, so there's no such thing as a buff-bot.  In the Q&A session, one audience member asked whether a pure PvE player could enjoy the game; Paul said essentially that it will have the full complement of quests, dungeons, monsters and all that but it will all be tied into the war so don't complain that there's no "bread baking" or "ferret breeding" (his words). ;)  (He wasn't commenting on the presence or absence of crafting, just that such "peaceful" things as breeding ferrets are not in the spirit of Warhammer.)  There wasn't a ton of new info that came out of the panel, but the way Paul and Jeff spoke so vehemently about all the things that are going to make WAR stand apart from other MMOs left me feeling very certain that this game will kick @$$ in a major way.

BTW, look for the panel audience we were in to show up in the next podcast... their underpaid and overworked podcast guy was there filming, and we were made to do various comical things for the benefit of the camera. ;)

--Ditchdigger
  • ElgarethElgareth Member Posts: 588
    Originally posted by Arawon

Is there crafting in the game...and if so please detail ?
    Last thing I heard was, that it is planned, and that they have a great system in mind to include it.

Crafting, as everything, will somehow have to do with the war, so don't expect jobs as Bread-Baker, Fisher or something. Instead, expect things like Blacksmiths and the like.

But details aren't known yet, they keep it secret.

I so want to play the game, following it for well over a year now
  • Parsifal57Parsifal57 Member Posts: 267
    Originally posted by Urza123

Sounds like he was having fun, although the whole golden "!" over the NPC to demonstrate the quest is a WoW concept, I think they need to come up with something different.

Why come up with something new?, if the concept works use it, there is no point in reinventing the wheel for something that is an ease of use tool at best.

Based on Jon's comments it sounds like WAR really does have a good change to be a great game, it will have competition but is still on my most anticipated list along with AOC and TCOS.
  • DreamsIn3DDreamsIn3D Member Posts: 86
    Hurry up already.. release it!!

• knives22knives22 Member Posts: 375

Originally posted by Parsifal57

Why come up with something new?, if the concept works use it,
    Ahh good ol' "If it aint broke, why fix it"?

MMORPGs life story right there, and the reason why 98% of them are shit.
  • defenestratedefenestrate Member CommonPosts: 578
    Originally posted by knives22

MMORPGs life story right there, and the reason why 98% of them are shit. Go play Flyff
    Originally posted by defenestrate

MMORPGs life story right there, and the reason why 98% of them are shit. Go play Flyff Heh

Funny you should point that out, WAR isn't that much different than flyff tbh.

Originally posted by defenestrate

MMORPGs life story right there, and the reason why 98% of them are shit. Go play Flyff Heh

Funny you should point that out, WAR isn't that much different than flyff tbh. Please point out the ways
  • DitchdiggerDitchdigger Member Posts: 8
    How does a troll get 325 posts on here?  Maybe he's actually constructive on some other game?
    Originally posted by Ditchdigger

How does a troll get 325 posts on here?  Maybe he's actually constructive on some other game?
    He is a AoC fan, which explains why he is a WAR hater. He goes around on WAR threads spouting out random garbage, like alot of the AoC community on here. Alot of the WAR community is pretty bad too, but not as bad as the AoC fans. Go look at their low hype thread, its pretty funny.
    Told ya he just spouts out random garbage. Anyways, great article, see ya'll in WAR ( except knives22 he is just too clever for his own good )
    :)
  • davvindavvin Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Originally posted by Urza123

well, in EQ2 they've got a sort of glowing feather over the heads of quest givers, and then in Lord of the Rings they've got a golden ring over the heads of quest givers. which really that's just the same thing only a different look. but what it boils down to, you need to have a visual queue that the npc in front of you has something for you to do--that way you're not wandering around trying to talk to every npc in the area. sure you could try to do something new, but really it most likely would just be a variation of the same thing.

why people try to dump on upcoming games because it's not one they like or are looking forward to is beyond me. all this AOC vs WAR garbage is a lot of BS, guess what they both look like they'll be awesome games that are both fun and interesting--each in their own way. frankly i'm looking forward to both of them and plan to enjoy playing both.
  • ronan32ronan32 Member Posts: 1,418

MMORPGs life story right there, and the reason why 98% of them are shit. age of conan fanboy..take a look at what that glorious community has to offer....., all aoc fans do is bash war because they know war will be a better game....how sad is this person to come on the war forums and say the game is crap without ever playing it .....i wont play aoc because the community is horrible.
  • RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674
    Had great fun reading the article and I will be going by the booth at Origins while I am there for the Pokemon Nationals
  • mo0rbidmo0rbid Member Posts: 363

DO WANT

• dalevi1dalevi1 Member Posts: 829

I am afraid I don't understand the hype behind this one at the moment. Everything he just described is currently in WoW. PvP is instanced and voluntary, there are PvP grounds with a range of group numbers, and even the PvP occupy scenario is a part of WoW. This may look better, but if the exclamation point is any sign....

Note, I am not bashing this game, I just can't help but think that some are going to be surprised with the similarities. If this "about WAR" than obviously is seems safe to say that WoW is about WAR as well.

Played (more than a month): SWG, Second Life, Tabula Rasa, Lineage 2, Everquest 2, EvE, MxO, Ryzom.

Tried: WoW, Shadowbane, Anarchy Online, Everquest, WWII Online, Planetside

Beta: Lotro, Tabula Rasa, WAR.

• havocthefirshavocthefirs Member Posts: 229

After reading the article, paying particular interest in the PVP section, I noticed how items were dropped from the other players when they were defeated. I also noticed how the items dropped were  NOT opposing player property. So what we have here is just another game with a 0 risk factor, which adds up to a 0 excitement factor. No thx, I'll pass.

• CelestianCelestian Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Originally posted by dalevi1
    I am afraid I don't understand the hype behind this one at the moment. Everything he just described is currently in WoW. PvP is instanced and voluntary, there are PvP grounds with a range of group numbers, and even the PvP occupy scenario is a part of WoW. This may look better, but if the exclamation point is any sign....
    Note, I am not bashing this game, I just can't help but think that some are going to be surprised with the similarities. If this "about WAR" than obviously is seems safe to say that WoW is about WAR as well.

If you want to be that "generic" everything he just described is currently in DAoC, so why play WoW.

I think you might see the inconstancy there.

WAR is a PVP oriented game, WoW is a PVE oriented game. Don't fool yourself.

• skotfarkisskotfarkis Member Posts: 15
    Originally posted by havocthefirs

After reading the article, paying particular interest in the PVP section, I noticed how items were dropped from the other players when they were defeated. I also noticed how the items dropped were  NOT opposing player property. So what we have here is just another game with a 0 risk factor, which adds up to a 0 excitement factor. No thx, I'll pass.

This statement doesn't make sense to me. I'd rather get stuff and be satisfied then lose stuff and be frustrated. Risk doesn't equal excitement, I played DAoC for years and they had no risk in PVP yet it was extremely exciting, heck, sitting at a wall for 2 hours fighting albions on the other side is probably some of the most fun I've ever had in a MMO. Certinaly not losing exp or anything else.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Before watching some vids I totally ignored WAR thinking it would be another WOW no more. Now, the more I read the more I thin "wow, they REALLY think about how to make a game fun". Experience for PVP, loot from players but not theirs, I mean, wow, this is what I was waiting for so long. I am really in awe. I was always torn between good PVE games and good PVP games and never had it all in one game.  Sounds all quite cool. 

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert