Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why death penalty?

why do people want a death penalty?  what is so great about loosin xp?  it just makes you play the game longer which makes you pay more.  why do people like this?  i dont understand this. whats wrong with no death penalty? why cant we just enjoy a game with no negative outcome? even if you loose its ok just get back in there and try harder. what is wrong with this? the best death penalty if you consider it one is the wow ghost walk.  i think that was pretty cool. i didnt think the fixin armor thing was necessary.  findin your body was punishment enough. sometimes it takes like 5 minutes to find it. then you have to wait till the enemies were gone to res. i like that its unique and original. plus its not too serious like loosin xp. whats wrong with this?

Comments

• retrospecticretrospectic Member UncommonPosts: 1,466
    Originally posted by ASmith84

why do people want a death penalty?  what is so great about loosin xp?  it just makes you play the game longer which makes you pay more.  why do people like this?  i dont understand this. whats wrong with no death penalty? why cant we just enjoy a game with no negative outcome? even if you loose its ok just get back in there and try harder. what is wrong with this? the best death penalty if you consider it one is the wow ghost walk.  i think that was pretty cool. i didnt think the fixin armor thing was necessary.  findin your body was punishment enough. sometimes it takes like 5 minutes to find it. then you have to wait till the enemies were gone to res. i like that its unique and original. plus its not too serious like loosin xp. whats wrong with this?
    The answer is in red.
  • cobrammcobramm Member Posts: 10
    One thing nice about having an xp death penalty is it keeps noobs that never bother learning how to play their char from getting higher level so they are motivated to learn how to not die.
  • GhostleaderGhostleader Member Posts: 71

It is very simple.

Because it feels pointless if it doesn't have a penelty

I don't know about most people but I like death penelty because of the feeling that if I lose I'll actually lose which makes me play better and actually gives me a bit of a rush when pvp as apposed to other games were I lose nothing so theirs no reason for me to feel like I need to stay alive Hope thats clear

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    For many folks the thrill in the game comes from the risk of loss....the great the loss, the more fun they have....

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167
    It makes the person who pked get a reward by getting all/some of the enemies hard work. ITs only fair.

?

• JoliustJoliust Member Posts: 1,329

It is the thrill you get as you get close to death and you just barely make it out alive. It makes fighting more exciting expecially when you are getting real close.

Sent me an email if you want me to mail you some pizza rolls.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

why do people want a death penalty?  what is so great about loosin xp?  it just makes you play the game longer which makes you pay more. 
    Bingo

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• vingvegavingvega Member Posts: 577
    Death penalty is ok as long as it doesn't make you de-level.  EQ2 is pretty good with death penalty.
  • SoraellionSoraellion Member UncommonPosts: 558
    If there's nothing to lose, what's the point in winning?
  • Riho06Riho06 Member Posts: 431
    Here's a tip for those who complain about death penalties........DON'T DIE NOOB

I am all for harsh death penalties in every MMORPG, it really does help removing the horrible players. You continue to level while they continue to search for their body, after awhile you're 3-4 levels ahead of that guy and don't have to worry about grouping with him again. A good portion of people who play MMOs like a challenge and enjoy the 'danger' of doing difficult dungeons with the risk of maybe dying in a very unfriendly place.

Unfortunately nowadays with the damn invention of WoW and all the console gamers coming over these days are nearly gone. Now its the 'hand me epics' crowd that dominates the MMO market.
  • SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

I'm a strange, atypical sort because I don't need a negative incentive to avoid getting killed in an MMO.

But, apparently, there are many who, unless the game delivers 50,000 volts to their keyboard and mouse don't think they're being penalized enough for dying in cyberspace.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• seabass2003seabass2003 Member Posts: 4,144
    No risk = No reward

In America I have bad teeth. If I lived in England my teeth would be perfect.

• cheshyrecatcheshyrecat Member Posts: 137

Death penalty should be in place.  think about it, whether it's losing a little time as you run back to your body/location or losing a bit of xp, a death penalty adds risk to the situation.

whats the point of playing the game if the comp (PvE) or enemy (PvP) can't kill you?  Answer: no point, no fun.

Whats the point of playing if the only threat is ....well the loss of a few seconds while your character stands back up?  it's crap like that that made me quit WoW. 

How many times have you played a game were a low level guy (too low for the area) just kept dying again and again?  spamming party requests, training mobs to you, and over all irritating everyone.

With a death penalty in place your forced to weigh risk vs gain.  is the risk of death worth the poential gain.  Do you stay in an "safe" area and gain more xp or do you go into more dangerous area that has greater xp gain?

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

• blackdogblackdog Member UncommonPosts: 33
    I must admit I prefer a death penalty, I played AC (Asheron's Call) and  that  had  a  fair (IMHO) death penalty, rezzing at a lifestone, running back to your corpse to recover items that dropped on your corpse (not every item dropped and they explained the item drop rules), and last but not least a 5% hit on your stats and skills, that could be removed 1% point at a time by doing what we do in MMOs, killing stuff.  The exp you gained during this time of skill reduction still went toward your overall exp as well as removing the penalty.  Also there was a 40% skill reduction cap, so only the seriously stupid or unlucky where the ones that got that far.  And it really did not take all that long to remove those penalties but it did wake you up a bit.

in WoW I have managed to complete quests naked to prevent durability hits, so I died a few extra times, but what did it matter, with no penalty you will do quests you have no real business doing since there is no penalty (except the few minutes it takes to zip back to your corpse), also how many people do you think have abused the ghost walk to explore dungeons and areas ahead of time.  Maybe not an instance but there are enough areas that this can be abused.

Be honest with yourself and decide, is it better to be a high level character that  anyone can create and achieve (even the stupid and inept) or high level in a system where it takes strategy, planning and skill to get there. 

Satisfaction is directly proportional to the penalties involved.

No death penalty is like playing a Monty Haul type of RPG campaign.

• poopypoowupoopypoowu Member Posts: 73

You answered your own rhetoric question. And the post after tthat gave you the answer.

Death penalty not only motivates players to not die, it encourages them to be in a "danger" zone that makes them feel that if they die any minute it would all be over. It gives player this "high" about the game either bad or good. imo

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087
    Losing exp is no fun... neither is losing all your gear you busted your ass to get.   Though I dont mind losing exp as long as its not a retarded amount.   Losing gear?  I can't get down with that.  Any other death penalty is fine, though I dunno what else they can do.  Running back to my corpse isnt really much of a penalty.  Neither is paying for armor repairs, even though it could get expensive after many deaths.
  • stickmstickm Member Posts: 219

I dont like playing games with no item lose.

Why would i play a competative game when there is no competition? if i kill someone they shouldn't be able to come back over and over. Its like being in the playoffs and loosing but u never actually get kicked out of the playoffs. When you loose it should mean something.

Personally i would like item lose and some other kind of "status" penalty.... like beside my name I would become Stickman VI if i died 6 times. So people wouldn't want to lose their status of never dying.

• shezombshezomb Member Posts: 65

Back in old beta days of ryzom there was no death penalty, to make the testing more smooth and easy, the good thing about it was you suddenly had a free and easy way to transport, we called it the ragus express :) If there is no penalty for dieing, alot of the challenge feeling of it all goes away...

the good stuff is only good when put in contrast of something bad, alot of the time ^^

my two grains of sand anyway :)

*hugs from lil me*

*Brain down for upgrade, don't try to understand my logic, I don't...*

• Originally posted by Soraellion

How do you Win any MMO.

personally, i'd like a death penalty of xp.  not alot of xp mind you, something equal to say a couple standard kills.  so your out of a tiny sliver of xp.  something you can easily make up in a minute or 2, but will REALLY hurt if your stupid and keep getting killed again and again and again.

"Thats lame! do you know how many times you get killed in PvP?"

Yup! and if you keep going back into the PvP zone and getting smoked...guess what?  YOU SHOULDN'T BE THERE!

Either you/ or your team is too low of a level or your team doesn't understand the term "team work".  simple as that.  I suppose the other team may just be better than you.  in which case you should admit defeat after losing several times.    You walk away with your bruises and plan a better strategy for the next event.

Originally posted by shezomb

Back in old beta days of ryzom there was no death penalty, to make the testing more smooth and easy, the good thing about it was you suddenly had a free and easy way to transport, we called it the ragus express :) If there is no penalty for dieing, alot of the challenge feeling of it all goes away...

LOL i forgot about that.  just a tip.  If players view death as a means of rapid transport you need to apply stiffer penalties.

Originally posted by itzit

Originally posted by Soraellion

How do you Win any MMO.

you beat the big boss and complete the quest.  congrats you "won" (pick most any mmo)

You loot and pillage your opponents capital city.  congrats you "won" (WAR)

You capture x number of your opponents flags.  congrats you "won" (WoW)

deafeat your opponents in open combat.  congrats you "won" (Daoc, guildwars...ect)

does the game stop because you "won" a victory?  Nope.  or at least it doesn't have to.

• RoyspiRoyspi Member Posts: 202
    It keeps people from being complete idiots in groups. "Whoops lol sorry my bad for the wipe. Everyone walk back" Thats lame... I miss UO style death. Frantically messaging my guild to open the runebook in my house for treasure location xyz "my corpse has been bones for 8 minutes! hurry!" Hehe. And sometimes you dont get it back and you lose whatever you had on you. so what? This kind of risk encourages better gameplay i think.
  • SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524
    I don't need a death penalty to motivate me to better learn my character or feel a thrill and challenge.  Most death penalties are relatively nominal in MMOs and I don't mind them, either.   I don't like corpse runs, however.  In my opinion, they don't add anything to a game except annoyance and tedium.
  • SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111

Without a death penalty, people don't respect the environment, they don't approach combat with dread and fear as should be the case. Combat requires planning and probing in order to be successful. It's not realistic to rush in and attack anything without caution, but that is what you get when there are no consequences for your actions.

Ever heard the term zerging? This is when you throw waves of people against  foes knowing full well you will die over and over again but eventually sheer numbers will overcome the obstacle. It's considered by many to be a cheap way of winning. It requires no skill, no probing or planning, no execution of teamwork. This is what WoW's PvP is all about since there are no consequences for losing.

Since you mention WoW's lack of a significant death penalty I will use it for another example. When I played WoW I would often allow myself to be killed so I could port across a zone to save time. Others did the same. I prefer realistic travel and a significant death penalty but when the conditions of a game's environment allow a player to cheapen the experience, I unfortunately also find myself participating. What this leads to is my overall dissatisfaction with the game and my early exodus. I want developers to place boundaries and conditions in a game world that effect all players equally and foster immersion. Lack of a death penalty kills immersion.

Now having said that, I am willing to try a new approach, being open minded somewhat. Chronicles of Spellborn is approaching the scenario from the opposite view. They don't like death penalties but will be rewarding players who do not die with added experience and other rewards. This may accomplish the same goal, we shall see.

Either method will also allow gamers who play smart, to advance faster and reap rewards quicker than those who do not, which is a secondary desired result of a death penalty or non death reward system. MMOGs are competitive in nature and gamers who play well want to distinguish themselves among the masses who do not.  Death penalties give talented gamers the opportunity to do so.