Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Opinions on Kingdom Reborn

Comments

• JoplJopl Member Posts: 22

I tried Kingdom Reborn today, and I must say, I'm deeply disappointed. Not one single thing is working correctly (almost). Everything is wrong, bugged... yeah, I know it's still beta, but... man, even beta can't be this  f****d up. I tried to buy a horse. All I got was a red line, going from one part of my screen to other. And when I tried to mount my "horse" I got a nasty error. So that character is now un-playable (everytime I try to log in, I get the same error, but nevermind, I got a new one already. :) ). I created another one - I said: "let's try crafting a bit.". And my god, how big was that hammer that I mistakely dropped on the floor. It was bigger than me. And when I tried to equip it - boom - another error. And it went on and on like this till I took a long break. And not to mention that my character doesn't look like it belongs to the world he's walking on. I don't know, it looks... strange. Maybe that's just me. Well, this list could go on and on... (belive me), but let's finish for now.

Like I said, I'm really disappointed, as I thought that this will be a nice improvement to the game and that I will maybe return to check the new world a bit. But I won't.

Knock the world right off its feet and straight onto its head.

• uoplayer123uoplayer123 Member Posts: 225

There has been qute a few new patches , in the last week or 2 and alot of bugs and art issue have been fixed..My only complaint beside paperdolls looking silly is the slowness of movemnet..

If marketed right this revamp may just bring UO up from the dead , the real kicker will be how they make Stygian Abyss , and all it's new features.

• tomariktomarik Member Posts: 28

I am so excited for this new Upgrade. I can't wait to start playing again. I am a vet from the 90's It was like heroine after i took some I just wanted more. It got to a point were i was literally addicted and now I am quiting UOAA. I quit playing UO in the early 2000's becuase I saw better options like DAOC or guild wars and WoW (WOW was some retarded) Hopefully they can rekindle my deep thirst for UO. People who like the old graphics it's cool I enjoy old school to be this is gonna give the game flare and hopefully a bigger player base. lol lest the graphics aren't so hardcore i don't have to upgrade my vid card (sweet!).

• xcryonicxxcryonicx Member Posts: 82
    I downloaded the beta, made an account, and just logged in.

I am sorry, but there is no way this "upgrade" is going to attract any modern MMO gamers who never played UO. The water doesn't even shimmer for crying out loud! Not to mention nothing in the world was interacting with me that was supposed to, and the client kept on crashing me. I don't know, I understand UO was once a great MMO and all, but for me this doesn't cut it. Glad I got to try it for free.
  • RayveRayve Member Posts: 46

Not tried it...but tempted to just because UO seems to be regarded as a class.

One thing I dont understand, on the Ultima Online site, forgetting this beta for a moment, it says when you play the 14 day trial you can choose between 2D and 3D...if it does 3D already why they adding 2D again?

here is the link:

http://www.uo.com/newplayer/newplayer01.html

Under "first time logging in" it says you can play in 3D.

• WarsongLSWarsongLS Member Posts: 37

Glad you have read up on UO from the actual site.

But like many other things in this game, the link you provided has not been revised since the changes made to the client recently.  Although if you read that link you can get a good grasp of the basic gameplay.

When it says you can choose but  2D and 3D clients,  this is totally wrong.  The 3D client (actually introduced in the UO:Third Dawn expansion)  has been discontinued to make room for the new Kingdom Reborn client.

If you play either the 2D "legacy client" or the new Kingdom Reborn client,  they are both from the same prespective,  ie 3/4 isometric view.  Think of Diablo which used the same view prespective, and/or other similar type games.

• RayveRayve Member Posts: 46
    Ahh right - excellent. Thank you for the reply, very clear and helpfull :) I think I should grab this beta then, always wondered what the "daddy of all" was like :)

No problem glad to help.

Personally I would just use the old 2D client to get a "feel" for the game.  The beta is very very buggy right now, they released it way, way to early as usual for EAMythic.

If you enjoy the game in the legacy client then you should be okay with the upgrade although the new client changes all the macros around!

• johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663
    Ok, so, i played KR for 10 minutes...i love the graphics engine and think i might enjoy this game but...it did have some lag problems (i played on Oceania) and at times my toon would stop and run in place for up to 10 secs at a time...also, my bro decided to give it a shot and in the tutorial, the part right after you get resurrected by the healer, it froze up and we had to ctrl-alt-del it...anyways, i'm not giving up on UO:KR but it does need work and chances are that i'll get the 9th Anniversary Edition and play that for a while...

ALSO, one question since i noticed it during the billing process...do you have to pay seperately for KR and 9th Ann Edt or is it together or is there like a $5 a month addition? just wondering

all in all, i think it's a great game and would love to see improvement on the issues...(i also read the issues list and for beta, it's fairly long) hope to see you all in game...and i really hope that EA Mythic doesn't do this to WAR, because this beta was released WAAAAYYY too early
    Same price no matter which client you use,  although it is cheaper if you pay in either 3 or 6 month blocks, instead of month to month.
    Originally posted by WarsongLS

Same price no matter which client you use,  although it is cheaper if you pay in either 3 or 6 month blocks, instead of month to month.
    aight, this makes sense...just askin cuz during the subscription process it said stuff like "Kingdom Reborn 1 Month Subscription" and such....by the way, is the KR client going to be free at full release or anothr $20-$30?

If you have a current active paying account, then when the KR client is finished it will be free to download.

I guess if you have gotten just the new KR beta and created a new paid account with it you be ok (although in the past UO betatesters have beeen required to get the completed version but this has not been confirmed/denied)(and no 2d client) you would have to wait for the release of the Stygian Abyss the next scheduled expansion.  Which should have both clients on the disk.  The new expansion is gonna retail for $29.99. Which you are going to want to get if you like the game cause it has new lands to go to, new monsters etc etc.  There has been no official release date.

aight, well, until it's known, i'm going to hang around in UO using the KR client (i really don't like the constant lagging, freezing or crashing but, i'll survive...)
    hmm...i also just realized this but i seem completely inable to be an elf (despite the fact that i can be any of the professions)...hmmm...oh well, i'm really just waiting for the gargoyles

ahhh,

Well you can either start a new character and choose to be an elf from the start,  or if you have a character thats pretty far along you can do a quest to change from human to elf.  I believe to start this quest you have to go to the city of moonglow to the northwest, outside of town itself there is a very big building (lyaceum) inside is a elf that will give you the quest.  he is wandering around near the back of the building and as you approach him he will start rambling on about your destiny blah blah blah.

elfs can carry less wieght than humans but the get nightsite and +20 free mana. 

• retrospecticretrospectic Member UncommonPosts: 1,466
    I have not played Kingdom Reborn, but I'm pretty sure the change is going to go in the same direction as UO:3D.  The problems with UO are not graphical.  For years players have been begging for change to the rule set or the release of shards with a "classic" rule set.  Instead of trying to improve the game itself EA continually releases expansions that give players more and more junk to collect.

Imo rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.
  • RoleroRolero Member UncommonPosts: 24
    I'm trying the beta KR. i was expecting something much better , but the last update on Friday, June 22 fix many issues , i wish KR comes out the way we are expecting.

more or less theres still some bugs around,hope they carry on with the fixes..as it's suppose to be....

Cheers
  • niko084niko084 Member Posts: 2

Although I greatly appreciate the idea of creating a new gui for this game to bring back its life. I mean its a 10 year old game, and I have friends who tell me they would try it out, but the graphics suck....

Honestly I'm not happy with their work on this at all... It looks really bad, it currently makes pvp near impossible, you cannot see anything, try to target a ninja in rat form under a tree.... Parts were done nicely, but in the majority, I honestly think Diablo2 looks better. After seeing this I'm almost considering making my own graphics for uo... I don't mind the dated 2d client or graphics for it. I love the gui, and for us seasoned players we have grown accustomed to it. I understand the need to do something new, but seriously if they are going to do something do it RIGHT. Nobody this day and age plays a game seriously on a P3 1ghz machine anymore, we don't need this complete lack of graphics work.

I think the worst part of all of it is the minor graphics in between, icons for items in bags and such, the layout of how the backpacks work....

If they are going to remake the gui, I think they had a much better start with the original 3d client, with a few buffs here and there I personally and many people I know would much prefer.

I have only said this one other time... But here it is again, if this is what they do to my beloved game, I will sell my current 6 accounts. The only other time I said this was that disgusting excuse for the game balance they called proficiencies.

• HappyFunBallHappyFunBall Member UncommonPosts: 221

Man, why can't this website/forum have autologin like every other forum/site on the planet?

Anyway, I was disgusted with the KR beta.  I just tried it yesterday and the day before.  All I did was crash to desktop over and over again.  No matter what I tried to do, no matter where I went - CRASH.  Before that, I read their list of open bugs, including the crash bugs.  Well, the one at the bottom of the list, something along the lines of people who crash can't log back in - was marked as fixed.  I'm here to say NOPE, it's NOT.

Kinda upset as this veteran player was trying to give me some nice loot, and that's just one of the times I crashed.  Then, of course, I tried and tried, but could not log back in without immediately crashing(I tried 10 times in a row to get back in).  Beta-my-ass... this KR client is PRE-alpha at best.  I found flaws everywhere, and I've been beta-testing MMO's and other games for over 10 years.  I actually found it more bug and crash-ridden that the ORIGINAL UO beta-test I was in, like I said, 10 years ago.  Talk about baby-steps.  It took them 10 years to come up with this garbage?  I won't even get into what I thought of the client graphics-wise... I'd be ranting on for another 2 pages, at least.

Bleh.. I was expecting so much more.

What really got to me is having to actually SIGN UP for the game to beta test their client.  Don't people get paid to test?  All my old coworkers in SQA did, and they got paid A LOT (I'm an SE).  I could write more stable code in my sleep.

Freaking pathetic.  10 years, and this is the best they could do? 

• Jerek_Jerek_ Member Posts: 409

I tried UO:KR this week, have been looking forward to it since they released the screenshots last year-  like most others here, I found it to be a huge letdown.  I had been hoping to bring some friends from other games to play UO on side...  many where willing to give it a shot after looking at those screenshots, but after logging into the game, that's never gonna happen.  IMO the 3D client they removed looked far better than KR. 

Aside from the ugliness of it, they managed to take away the one thing UO has always had going for it-  no matter what computer I played it on, it was always very stable and playable, no crashing, no random disconnects, etc.  With the KR client I'm constantly having to restart my machine due to what seems to be incompatiblity with my dual core processor.  Also, after playing for about 30 minutes, it managed to overheat my video card, which not even Vanguard did.  Basically it only runs some-what stable on my oldest computer, absolutely hates my high end system.

• HappyFunBallHappyFunBall Member UncommonPosts: 221

Originally posted by Jerek_

I tried UO:KR this week, have been looking forward to it since they released the screenshots last year-  like most others here, I found it to be a huge letdown.  I had been hoping to bring some friends from other games to play UO on side...  many where willing to give it a shot after looking at those screenshots, but after logging into the game, that's never gonna happen.  IMO the 3D client they removed looked far better than KR. 
    Aside from the ugliness of it, they managed to take away the one thing UO has always had going for it-  no matter what computer I played it on, it was always very stable and playable, no crashing, no random disconnects, etc.  With the KR client I'm constantly having to restart my machine due to what seems to be incompatiblity with my dual core processor.  Also, after playing for about 30 minutes, it managed to overheat my video card, which not even Vanguard did.  Basically it only runs some-what stable on my oldest computer, absolutely hates my high end system.

I agree 100%.  I think the graphics are horrible.  Did you notice the differences in scale of items you drop on the ground?  Some like 10x too big (well, most do), and other don't even look like what they are supposed to be.  Pathetic.  Did a 4th grader crayon these up??

Sadly, my machine is 1.5 years old, no Vista, nothing that new, but still I crash left and right.  I already gave up playing and cancelled after my last post.  I still won't give them a DIME to beta test in general, let alone this garbage client.  I was thinking to myself, in a week, I'm going to start paying them so I can crash to desktop every 5 minutes.  YEAH, RIGHT.  I don't think so.

Bah, I hope I get into the God's and Hero's beta, Warhammer Online or something soon new soon.  I'm disgusted with the current state of MMO's.  I don't know how/why, but I think they've been going downhill for years - especially those robotic Asian grinder clones.  Good for teenie-boppers at best, and hardly anyone else.

• JoplJopl Member Posts: 22

I must say that the things are getting better. Though, there is still much, much work left to be done.  If they really care about this expansion (unlike the last few of 'em), they can make it playable and attract some new players to the game. I gave it another try and I must say, I'm quite enjoying it now (I had a horrible beta experiance a month ago). We'll see what will become of this.

Knock the world right off its feet and straight onto its head.

• ladyattisladyattis Member Posts: 1,273

Originally posted by retrospectic
    I have not played Kingdom Reborn, but I'm pretty sure the change is going to go in the same direction as UO:3D.  The problems with UO are not graphical.  For years players have been begging for change to the rule set or the release of shards with a "classic" rule set.  Instead of trying to improve the game itself EA continually releases expansions that give players more and more junk to collect.Imo rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

I have to agree, they released UO:KR too early, and it has some pretty annoying bugs.

Here are two I've bumped into so far:

1) The invisi-cursor bug. This one comes up after extended play, for whatever reason the transparencies make the rest of the cursor invisible in game (along with its icons on the desktop, oddly).

2) The "null" quest text window. This one is persistent on my character, and I've sent the bug report with a screenshot on it, because it also correlates to my "dead (timed-out)" debuffs on my character status (they never ever refresh off!).

Beyond that, I still like UO, it's a fun game, I just wish EA would put someone worthy in charge of the TLC project this game really needs, mostly in gameplay imho because it seems more loot driven than most other MMOs (more so than old AC1, which is baffling to me...).

-- Brede

• azgarthazgarth Member UncommonPosts: 188

All I can say about KR is i think it's a major improvement compared to the old 3D client. However, I always played it in 2D, and if I have to compare both I think i'll stick to the 2D. I like the way there are now more light effects, on magic, portals, monster look, the window can now be set to become bigger on a 17" screen, the zoom out option helps me make it look a bit like how i play on 2D. I don't like the way furniture now takes more tiles. I have a music box right next to a mill, and on KR the mill covers it. I also don't like how my paperdoll looks, nor the way small items like necklace or a bracer are out of scale. It seems to me with that size the bracer would at least fit my character head. The combat also need some time to get used to, but I recon after some time those interested will be ok. The water sure looks better on fountains and on house tiles, but some previously designed houses have those out of place, with the water falling not from where it was suposed to, on the customised houses. I also still see the flames on my candles a bit all over the floors, and not only on the floor they are. Needs a bit more work, it seems. Unfortunatly, even with all that, i still prefer 2D over it.

BTW, you can rescale the ui and that would help the chat window not to cover part of the screen. The default sure isn't adequate.

• ladyattisladyattis Member Posts: 1,273

The problem I have right now with the client is the slow tile redraw. I mean, even if I'm in a dungeon alone, it sometimes won't draw the ground or item tiles fast enough to keep up with my movement on the map. I've particularly noticed this while running past large player houses. Granted some players really deck out their houses, but still the developers need to really look at code optimization for tile spawning. o.o

-- Brede