Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gods and Heroes: Art Style Dev Journal

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Mike Hines, the Art Director for Perpetual Entertainment's upcoming MMORPG, Gods & Heroes: Rome Rising, joins us today to write this developer journal about the choice of Environment Art style for the game.

Rome is a word that encompasses an unending sea of images, ideas and feelings. It has been an active part of most cultures in the world since it rose to prominence. American culture, in particular, has placed Rome and Roman ideals at the center of many aspects of our education, government, entertainment and art. We see the Romans as one of the first cultures to develop city-life that parallels our own, and as the originators of many of the things we experience on a daily basis.

Rome and Roman portrayals in entertainment have been numerous, and we worked hard to develop a art style that incorporates many of those familiar portrayals while adding in the historical and mythological aspects that have been modified or glazed over by previous movies and games. Additionally, I had to make the game feel playable, fun and exciting, while supporting the fiction and game design.

Read the whole article here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Beautiful screenshots.

I've been following the game for awhile and there are quite a few things about it that intrique me, not the least of which being the graphics.  Judging from the screenshots I've seen, they have an excellent art department.

I really can't wait to play.

• sorezsorez Member Posts: 39
    Game has always looked amazing, just can't wait to try out the gameplay... nice to see something different from the norm
  • PunkMonkPunkMonk Member Posts: 483
    Man,  I hope my POS computer can handle this game on minimum settings!

• MaselocMaseloc Member Posts: 175
    Can't wait for this game. Looks great.
  • JimLadJimLad Member CommonPosts: 187
    They have Manny from Ice Age!
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by JimLad

They have Manny from Ice Age!

LÖL! Thats what I thought too, heh. ^^

Looks beautiful, but VG did too. I hope they dont make the world too "cold" and animate it with life and make it feel with "soul".

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• FarquaniaFarquania Member Posts: 120
    How is the pricing going to work?

I mean like buy the game ( in store) and pay per month,

download the game and pay per month,

download the game for free and pay per month,

download for free and play for free,

or download (or buy) and pay no monthly fee.

I can't spend a lot because I am already paying for LotRO which I am about to end.

• CiredricCiredric Member Posts: 723

Ah don't forget people this game is from SOE.  When is the last time an SOE game was released that was playable at release....ah yes never.

Not to say this developer can't change that, but it is a rather significant factor.  No matter what the hype I will never buy another SOE product until it has been out at least a few months and has good reviews.

I feel sorry for Perpetual Entertainment actually because there are a lot of people out there that feel the same way.  

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695
    Originally posted by Ciredric

Ah don't forget people this game is from SOE.  When is the last time an SOE game was released that was playable at release....ah yes never.
    Not to say this developer can't change that, but it is a rather significant factor.  No matter what the hype I will never buy another SOE product until it has been out at least a few months and has good reviews.
    I feel sorry for Perpetual Entertainment actually because there are a lot of people out there that feel the same way.  
    Although I agree with you in many ways, two games in which I had my most mmorpg fun were EQ and SWG.  I also enjoyed EQ2 and Planetside for quite some time.  All that said, SOE did seem to ruin all but EQ2 quite rapidly.
  • CiredricCiredric Member Posts: 723

Well I guess you forget that SWG was worse than Vanguard at release, took them almost a year to get it to a decent playable state.

EQ I agree was more polished at release, but it had some pretty horrible design flaws especially with downtime and death.  You spent more time sitting than fighting and corpse retrieval was an adventure in itself.

Again, I hope that this new game breaks the mold. 

• BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821
    Originally posted by Elikal

Looks beautiful, but VG did too. I hope they dont make the world too "cold" and animate it with life and make it feel with "soul".

+1
  • borisdogborisdog Member Posts: 9
    When is it coming out and how much and by what payment method is it going to cost   PLZ
  • methulahmethulah Member Posts: 236
    Good to see at least one team knows that artistic style doesn't mean ultra-cartoon.
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Umm, are you guys incapable of reading? SOE is in charge of marketing and distribution. Nothing else. Perpetual is the one dealing with creating the game itself.