Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMs: Not so great?

I opened a ticket the other day stating that a trinket I wanted to use wasn't working.  A GM "comes down from a fury of thunderclouds" and tells me to delete my interface folder, my wtf folder, and my cache folder. Ok, deleted.  Restart game.  Trinket still isn't working. Know what the GM says?  "I apologize I could not help you, is there anything else I can help you with today?"    ........... wth?  

Huzzah for mediocre customer support! 

Comments

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007
    what trinket r u trying to use?

• AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362
    Originally posted by marie2264

I opened a ticket the other day stating that a trinket I wanted to use wasn't working.  A GM "comes down from a fury of thunderclouds" and tells me to delete my interface folder, my wtf folder, and my cache folder. Ok, deleted.  Restart game.  Trinket still isn't working. Know what the GM says?  "I apologize I could not help you, is there anything else I can help you with today?"    ........... wth?  
      Huzzah for mediocre customer support! 
    Yep - that's a standard response from GMs. I was even told to reinstall WoW when deleting stuff didn't work. It basically sums up the general attitude of WoW GMs, which is basically as follows:

Our time is far more valuable than yours. If we can make you spend several hours running around deleting and reinstalling stuff with a 10% chance that this will fix your problem, then that's much better than us spending 20 minutes taking you through everything step-by-step with a 50% chance of solving the problem.

Of course, the preliminary stage of deleting add-ons may be a lot more acceptable if, after that had been done and the client UI was in a known state, they would then take the time to help you and investigate your problem, but they don't. They just go: "Sorry - couldn't help you. Good luck."
  • sgtweppssgtwepps Member Posts: 207
    gm's in wow are corrupt, they spawn/give items to their player chars.
  • RebornDragonRebornDragon Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Originally posted by sgtwepps

That's the biggest pile of crap I've ever heard. That's only true for EvE gm's.

WoW GM's are probably some of the best there is.

Me? I don't believe your story one bit, or there is more to it. What trinket were you having problems with? I've never had a problem with any of my trinkets. It is possible that it was a UI problem with an add-on you were using. Did you repetition and explain that you have turned off all addons on the character select screen and it's still not working?
  • Matty545Matty545 Member Posts: 21
    zaroborough is the worst gm ever, he is such an jerk, my friend was Quad botting 4 accounts, and he waited till they all hit 70, and he wispered my friend on each account and was like, One! /banned, Two! /banned, Three! /banned, last but not least, Four! /banned

• tallredtallred Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Originally posted by Matty545

zaroborough is the worst gm ever, he is such an jerk, my friend was Quad botting 4 accounts, and he waited till they all hit 70, and he wispered my friend on each account and was like, One! /banned, Two! /banned, Three! /banned, last but not least, Four! /banned
    lol, I like that GM. Good to see they are banning people who are botting.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by tallred

lol, I like that GM. Good to see they are banning people who are botting. I agree...this guy deserved an award for style on that action.....

But back to OP, I have found WOW telephone support to be helpful when the ingame support fails.  Also, not all in game GM's are created equal, try opening another petition, on a different day/time zone than you first tried.  (some of the daytime/weekday gm's seem better to me)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

zaroborough is the worst gm ever, he is such an jerk, my friend was Quad botting 4 accounts, and he waited till they all hit 70, and he wispered my friend on each account and was like, One! /banned, Two! /banned, Three! /banned, last but not least, Four! /banned image

hahaha! that GM is my hero!

• Thunder_HeadThunder_Head Member Posts: 304
    My WoW GM experience was quite pleasant. The guy was courteous, polite, and fun to talk to. Solved my problem quickly, chatted with him for a few more minutes. Done deal.
  • L33t187L33t187 Member Posts: 45
    Originally posted by RebornDragon

Originally posted by sgtwepps

That's the biggest pile of crap I've ever heard. That's only true for EvE gm's.

WoW GM's are probably some of the best there is.

Me? I don't believe your story one bit, or there is more to it. What trinket were you having problems with? I've never had a problem with any of my trinkets. It is possible that it was a UI problem with an add-on you were using. Did you repetition and explain that you have turned off all addons on the character select screen and it's still not working?

WoW gms are the best there is??? ROFL there probly the worst.... When BWL first came out are raid ID didn't reset and they didn't do shit about it... all they said is that they were really sry and that we would lose a week of raiding because they fucked up and didn't want to fix it.

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

The GMs moderating the forums are pretty poor but I had an ok experience of them ingame especially when I got stuck.(as a gnome mage how embarassing)

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741
    I got you all beat for bad GMs!  Back before the raid calendar thing was initiated, my guild had a problem with another guild stealing our molten core instance ID.   When we zoned into MC a huge commotion broke out between our 2 guilds.   The other guild was using our raid ID to cascade instances and circumvent the raid lockout timer.    

Naturally I petitioned a GM.  I was told that since I play on a PvP server, it is up to me to solve the problem since we can PvP.  Like WTF am I supposed to do?  PvP a guild on my own team inside of a PvE raid instance?!  To this day it remains to be the most outrageous GM response to problem I have ever witnessed.
  • WoWownsallWoWownsall Member Posts: 17
    Man oh man do i have a bad GM story. Today, i logged in, and made my way to the desolace (i am a level 30 tauren druid), and i get a PM from my friend saying there is a 25 gnome lock ganking him in ashenvale. He is only level 20 , and being camped by a friggin gnome is not very fun, so I go over to throw him a beating. I got there, and saw a level 39 human paladin killing my friend who is also being killed by the gnome. Naturally I bring in some of my higher level guildmates, and pretty soon we have a war going on. There are almost fifty people a side, and I was focusing on the gnome. Almost two hours later, because blizzard response team sucks, a GM is telling me that Ganking somebody is not a kind thing to do, and that he could have my account banned for it. I replied "WTF it's a pvp server, and the gnome was ganking my friend!". Then he filled my chat menu with a bunch of role-playing crap, then tells me to turn off all my interface addons and reinstall WoW. Bullshit. I have a GM buddy, I told him this, and he tore a strip off this guy. Haven't had another GM problem. Crooked GMs are fun when they are on your side.
  • VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Originally posted by WoWownsall

Man oh man do i have a bad GM story.

Today, i logged in, and made my way to the desolace (i am a level 30 tauren druid), and i get a PM from my friend saying there is a 25 gnome lock ganking him in ashenvale. He is only level 20 , and being camped by a friggin gnome is not very fun, so I go over to throw him a beating.

I got there, and saw a level 39 human paladin killing my friend who is also being killed by the gnome. Naturally I bring in some of my higher level guildmates, and pretty soon we have a war going on. There are almost fifty people a side, and I was focusing on the gnome.

Almost two hours later, because blizzard response team sucks, a GM is telling me that Ganking somebody is not a kind thing to do, and that he could have my account banned for it. I replied "WTF it's a pvp server, and the gnome was ganking my friend!".

Then he filled my chat menu with a bunch of role-playing crap, then tells me to turn off all my interface addons and reinstall WoW. Bullshit. I have a GM buddy, I told him this, and he tore a strip off this guy. Haven't had another GM problem. Crooked GMs are fun when they are on your side.

ok. that is better.

Please, try to make an at least credible story next time ok?

thank you.

Have a nice day.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

Man oh man do i have a bad GM story. Today, i logged in, and made my way to the desolace (i am a level 30 tauren druid), and i get a PM from my friend saying there is a 25 gnome lock ganking him in ashenvale. He is only level 20 , and being camped by a friggin gnome is not very fun, so I go over to throw him a beating. I got there, and saw a level 39 human paladin killing my friend who is also being killed by the gnome. Naturally I bring in some of my higher level guildmates, and pretty soon we have a war going on. There are almost fifty people a side, and I was focusing on the gnome. Almost two hours later, because blizzard response team sucks, a GM is telling me that Ganking somebody is not a kind thing to do, and that he could have my account banned for it. I replied "WTF it's a pvp server, and the gnome was ganking my friend!". Then he filled my chat menu with a bunch of role-playing crap, then tells me to turn off all my interface addons and reinstall WoW. Bullshit. I have a GM buddy, I told him this, and he tore a strip off this guy. Haven't had another GM problem. Crooked GMs are fun when they are on your side.
    Oh yea, well....well...one time, at like 3 in the morning, i woke up to sounds in my living room. when i turned on the lights, it was a GM from WoW taking a dump in my CD-ROM drive, saying over and over "reinstall that, biatch"...yea beat that, yea....

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by spankybus
    Oh yea, well....well...one time, at like 3 in the morning, i woke up to sounds in my living room. when i turned on the lights, it was a GM from WoW taking a dump in my CD-ROM drive, saying over and over "reinstall that, biatch"...yea beat that, yea....image

LMFAO! best reply to an idiotic post i have seen in some time /cheer

• RadiationStormRadiationStorm Member Posts: 120
    I've met both sides of the coin/GM. Back when I was playing (pre-TBC) I wasn't really happy with my first char (a druid) so I started playing a warlock. At around lvl 45 I got bored of this one too so I began a mage, which then became my main char and first to hit 60. But because I really thought I'd play the wl for a long time I gave him the better name, but then ofc wanted to swap his with that of the mage. I contacted a GM, he was nice, polite and without any hassle changed it within five minutes. Great! Another time I think it was Scholomance, there was an optional quest reward, a ring and something else, I'm not sure if I messed up, had the wrong idea of the item or because some other issue but I picked the wrong item and asked a GM to remedy the reward if possible. He too was nice, spawned in, told me to drop the item thus destroy it and gave me the alternative. Once again nicely sorted.

A few weeks later I had a new char on another server where I pretty much ran into the same problem as before with the names (this time I discovered my hots for rogues). So I once again contacted a GM and he told me that technically it wasn't possible. Riiight. Naturally I told him that this had been done for me before on another server so it can't really be that much of a problem. But instead of just complying he hinted that I probably had a name which violated TOS, I clarified, then he told me that this was illegal and they weren't allowed to do that but merely on names violating the EULA. Sure. So if I had given my char an offensive name I would have had the possibility to rename him to my liking, whereas as a normal customer not violating any TOS I wasn't. Clearly I was getting no where with the guy and pulled out after a few minutes of debate. The fact that he left me with something along the lines  of '...and lots of fun in Azeroth' was almost cynical. Asshole. I probably wouldn't be complaining if he had immediately stated that normally they aren't allowed to do so, but he didn't, he actually lied saying that it wasn't possible due to technical issues. I don't know if it is or isn't violating any EULA but I doubt Blizzard would have fired him because of it and further more the fact that he lied but then resorted to some apparent rule violation gives me the impression he just didn't want to do it.

I had two more contacts with the GMs ('selling gold mail' and the MC bug which flagged people as having entered it before even if they hadn't and thus refused them access) but nothing noteworthy and both got sorted. Overall I guess my experience with the GMs was positive but that one guy does leave a taint on this impression, especially since I don't believe I was asking too much of him.
  • stabemzstabemz Member Posts: 132
    THE GMS FUCKING SUCK IN WOW... SERIOUSLY THERE IS NO POINT OF TALKING TO A GM!! THEY ENEVR HELPO YOU THEY ALL SUCK AND SHOULD GET FIRED!!!!!!!!!
  • PrumbaPrumba Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Contrary to popular belief, caps lock is most certainly not cruise control for awesome.
  • PyritePyrite Member Posts: 309
    My two worst GM experiences...

1)  The day BC went live there was some confusion as to whether the Dark Portal would open at midnight EST or midnight server time.  About 12:15am EST I got hold of a GM and asked if the portal on my server had been opened.  His response was "I have no idea".  Now, this was the single largest event in the game since the retail launch and the GM has no clue if it had happened yet?!  What's worse is his apparent apathy and unwillingness to look for the answer.  Maybe the guy in the cubicle next to him had better info if he had bothered to turn his head and ask.

2)  I got a gold selling/power leveling spam mail one day.  Following Blizzard's suggestion I filed a ticket and went on about my business.  When the GM contacted me he gave me the usual spiel about investigating and not being able to discuss it.  During the conversation he asked me if the player who sent me the offending mail is on my server.    I haven't been that floored by a stupid question since the day the gal working the BK drive thru window asked me if my order was to stay or go.

The most important part of reading is reading between the lines.

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Originally posted by sposocke

I've met both sides of the coin/GM. Back when I was playing (pre-TBC) I wasn't really happy with my first char (a druid) so I started playing a warlock.

At around lvl 45 I got bored of this one too so I began a mage, which then became my main char and first to hit 60. But because I really thought I'd play the wl for a long time I gave him the better name, but then ofc wanted to swap his with that of the mage.

I contacted a GM, he was nice, polite and without any hassle changed it within five minutes. Great! Another time I think it was Scholomance, there was an optional quest reward, a ring and something else, I'm not sure if I messed up, had the wrong idea of the item or because some other issue but I picked the wrong item and asked a GM to remedy the reward if possible. He too was nice, spawned in, told me to drop the item thus destroy it and gave me the alternative. Once again nicely sorted.

A few weeks later I had a new char on another server where I pretty much ran into the same problem as before with the names (this time I discovered my hots for rogues). So I once again contacted a GM and he told me that technically it wasn't possible. Riiight. Naturally I told him that this had been done for me before on another server so it can't really be that much of a problem.
    But instead of just complying he hinted that I probably had a name which violated TOS, I clarified, then he told me that this was illegal and they weren't allowed to do that but merely on names violating the EULA. Sure. So if I had given my char an offensive name I would have had the possibility to rename him to my liking, whereas as a normal customer not violating any TOS I wasn't.
    Clearly I was getting no where with the guy and pulled out after a few minutes of debate. The fact that he left me with something along the lines  of '...and lots of fun in Azeroth' was almost cynical. Asshole. I probably wouldn't be complaining if he had immediately stated that normally they aren't allowed to do so, but he didn't, he actually lied saying that it wasn't possible due to technical issues. I don't know if it is or isn't violating any EULA but I doubt Blizzard would have fired him because of it and further more the fact that he lied but then resorted to some apparent rule violation gives me the impression he just didn't want to do it.

I had two more contacts with the GMs ('selling gold mail' and the MC bug which flagged people as having entered it before even if they hadn't and thus refused them access) but nothing noteworthy and both got sorted. Overall I guess my experience with the GMs was positive but that one guy does leave a taint on this impression, especially since I don't believe I was asking too much of him.

first OT note: what it is this week? the worldwide week of Walls of Text? did they gave freedom to this annoying animal? People get them as pet or something?

Second: This is a very typical thing that happens when customers interact with customer service, they forget the GMs are actually human beings and think they are all robots.

All of them are connected, infact, to a giant central network and whatever one says, everybody else also says, you know? Hive mind and all?

It never came to your mind that gm number 2 actually had no idea that such a thing could be possible (yes, he should have thought better as renaming is allowed if against the eula, so it is surely technically possible) but then he wasn't prolly thinking a lot about it.

Then again, I'm pretty sure GM 1 was not supposed to change your name like that, because the rule IS to change a name only if it violates the EULA, not when anybody damn pleases.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

@Rhoklaw, I think there's some truth in that, but at Best Buy I can somewhat understand harsher policy since it's their money they're giving out if the customers request is unfounded. In WoW though it's really our satisfaction that counts and if we're happy and don't ask for anything out of line we provide them money. So I'd say it depends on the job one is in how forthcoming one should be.

And well Volkmar, I got 70 posts to my name you got what 1700? I don't think you should be the one complaining about walls of text here. Anyhow, he deliberately lied and then gave me some bs about how it was against the rules. My request had nothing to do with random 'how I please', in fact the first change -apart from the reason I gave before- was also out of convenience for others, since both chars basically had the same name but one was using a normal e and the mage ê or something, people had trouble contacting me. But that aside I do indeed believe since it's a game and it's our/my experience which counts the GMs should be as forthcoming as possible. The GMs can also look into how much changes you request. When I asked for that quest reward swap I used up my resurrection or whatever they call it slot, it was no big deal. And the name thing was not even five minutes of work. I think as  a paying customer for a year with just 5 tickets to my name (2 of those bugs/reports), as long as it doesn't happen every week, there was simply nothing wrong with my request. GM#1 had no problem with it and I've had it changed for me in a forum before, likewise no hassle, so why give me all that bs? Not to mention inclining that I had an offensive name and thus it was changed, even though I made clear to him that I had voluntarily requested it. The guy simply was no help and he didn't want to be. Like I said before I wouldn't have minded nearly as much had he said from the onset no due to EULA, or once he had realised it is possible simply complied, but fact is he just wanted to brush me off as fast he could and simply couldn't admit his first answer was bull. Finally let me ask you this, do you honestly believe that this GM#2 would go out of his way to sort things out for other people with serious problems? I doubt it. He's exactly the type which will give you some phony advice which takes up your time, while he doesn't have to bother with sorting it out.
    PS: "... lots of fun in Azeroth!"

He was being a dick.
  • WoWownsallWoWownsall Member Posts: 17
    In WoW, i can see where GMs are annoyed with players. A guildmate of mine opens such stupid tickets just to be annoying " Is there a bank in Orgrimmar?" "Is this a PVP server" "what server is this". They are people too, but we are paying customers, and when we ask sincere questions, like "The buttons on my interface are disapearing/blinking, what should i do?" and you get some retarded roleplaying macros like "There is a beam of light in front of you" or "BY THE LIGHT OF THE MOON *POOF*" it pisses you off. Gms in WoW are better than most games, but they certainly aren't the best. I can see where they want to play too, but make an alternate character for just playing.  Talking to a GM, my face goes from to and finally .

That was just an excuse to use smileys.
  • RaizeRaize Member Posts: 35
    My g/f and I recently had both of our accounts hacked, my fault from not paying attention when looking for add-ons, anyway she sent in petitions for both of us. I had most of my stuff restored in just a few days, she is still trying just to get a response from a gm. Some gm's are very professional and curteous and others just seem not to give a crap. It all depends on how lucky you are whenever you experiance a problem.