Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes: Server Merger

SzarkSzark News ManagerMember Posts: 4,420

Details of the upcoming Vanguard server merger have been released, with information on how many servers there will be, rules for character names and property, and much more.

Hey Everyone,

Here are the details on the server merge. We don't have a firm date as we are still getting all the back-end details worked out. The intent is to have them done within the next three weeks. We will announce a date as soon as we have it.

Please feel free to comment as I know you will. I will try and clear up questions as they arise. I realize that not everyone will be happy with all of the decisions, but I'm open to suggestions if someone presents a better idea and it's something that is feasible for us to implement in time.

Read the full merger notes here.

Comments

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

4 servers + RP whatever they do.

Good move for the community, suck to have to do it, but eh, 4 servers is still something.

I dunno if we could do that since it is Sigil and SoE and it may be propaganda but...here...4 servers X 10-15k players, you have between 40k and 60k players...yet, as I said, it may be propaganda.

My only recommendation is to have a casual-safeguard so players know how many levels of characters they have on each server.  Can remove this data in 2 months, but at the server selection menu, might help them figure where they have toons.  Since the names are subjects to pools and all...

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• JPR1985JPR1985 Member Posts: 212
    Damn it, now i wont be able to have a team pvp server anymore. Well, i know for a fact I want pvp, but not ffa, as its a little hectic for me at this point. Bleh, this really sucks, i think i might cancel until they have a possible team pvp server again, then use my merge to there.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Gosh. Brad said they sold 200,000 copies, very few people had quit, and they had a healthy retention and growth rate. Lol.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433
    Originally posted by JPR1985

Damn it, now i wont be able to have a team pvp server anymore. Well, i know for a fact I want pvp, but not ffa, as its a little hectic for me at this point. Bleh, this really sucks, i think i might cancel until they have a possible team pvp server again, then use my merge to there.

Maybe you can talk them into having a:

TEAM-PvP zone.

Yeah, it is a FFA server, but in that specific zone, it is team-PvP.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• Ironman2000Ironman2000 Member UncommonPosts: 310
    Sorry, just had to chime in. I find this whole thing very funny.  VG went from be being called a WOW killer to being dropped down to 4 servers LOL.  Well hopefully the merges are a good thing for you.  I know when they merged EQ II, and people lost names and guild names, etc.  a lot of people got frustrated and quit playing.  I hope it doesn't go that way with you all, though i'm sure you will see a drop in server population again as people realize the things they were used to, IE: names, house locations, etc are all gone now.
  • SinkaelSinkael Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Thriving VG community!
  • HexxeityHexxeity Member Posts: 848
    I told you so.

I told you so.  I told you so.  I told you so.  I told you so.  I told you so.

This was a terrible game, and the people who defended it were either tasteless or lying.

Whew.  That felt good.
  • nakumanakuma Member UncommonPosts: 1,310

bawaahahhhhahahahaha!!!!      its finally happening.  oh welllllll lmao! shat happens! aww man this keeps getting better.

<grabs a seat and a box of popcorn waiting for hell to unfold>

3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.

• MontaronxMontaronx Member UncommonPosts: 273
    all  u VG haters.... get a life... and no "second life" doesnt count....

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    Originally posted by Montaronx

it's wrong to dislike something that is bad and/or crapstastic?

wasn't there a prophecy about in the end of days that idiots and fools would arise which would call bad good, good bad, and they'd do bizarre things with farm animals?

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• vickykolvickykol Member UncommonPosts: 106

Merging servers is going to be absolutely essential to maintain the player population.  Too many people have trouble grouping, and so they don't play, and so there are less people online, so it is even harder to group, etc. into a negative feedback loop.

EQ2 did fine after the server merges.  Yes, some people left, but it doesn't seem empty to me.

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

Originally posted by damian7
    Originally posted by Montaronx
    it's wrong to dislike something that is bad and/or crapstastic?

It's okay to dislike it, but trolling is another thing.

Personally, I'm not going to be renewing my subscription, but it has nothing to do with this merger. The game isn't bad, but you have to have a persistant group of friends to enjoy it because of its group oriented design. It has WoW-style quests, but unlike WoW the majority of these require groups, and unlike EQ, where groups were also necessary, you need not only be of similar level to group with someone, but you should be on the same quest, too.

All that makes Vanguard a really hard pick-up-and-play game, which, when coupled with the less-than-ideal state it launched in, results in a fairly unpopular game.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• KariTRKariTR Member Posts: 375

I'd say that those of us playing currently were pretty gob-smacked at the amount of servers to be culled. I guess we expected double ups but 3/4 servers melled into one was rather a surprise.

I think doing away with Team PvP is a mistake - lets face it, if FFA was that popular it would have been able to support a single server without the need for merging the same way RP has. Perhaps the FFA ruleset is an easier one for the dev's to work with and while I will certainly give it a chance, for the first time I can see the demise of VG for me personally.

Not to mention that everytime they patch in code optimisation the game gets more sluggish for me.

• boingedboinged Member UncommonPosts: 161
    I'm looking forward to merging with the other Euro server as it can be a bit quiet at times. What's happening to the RP server though? I joined an EU one instead of it but am missing this aspect of the game, maybe this will be the perfect opportunity to switch.
  • EndemondiaEndemondia Member Posts: 231

Dungeons and Dragons online did a similar thing a while back - it went very smoothly and was essential to the game-play - I went back for a while after and the culling of servers was a vast improvement.

however Vanguard doing it only a few months after launch is not a healthy sign and as much as I wish them well they should take a good long hard look at how LOTRonline (WOW clone with panache) launched to discover the secret of success.