Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Chronicles of Spellborn: Part Four: Races and Classes

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Today, we publish the fourth in our series of features on The Chronicles of Spellborn. This time around, Jon Wood looks at the facts around the races and classes that will be available in the game.

In the last few articles that I've written about The Chronicles of Spellborn, I've talked a lot about things like sound and art style. Both of these subjects are important, and any first-class game needs to be on the ball in terms of these departments, but still, in terms of excitement, nothing compares to talking gameplay.

In this article, you can expect to hear a little something about what you can expect in making and progressing your character. We're talking about races and classes this time around, and, as is the case with most things in The Chronicles of Spellborn, it isn't all what you'd necessarily expect from a fantast MMO.

Races

In many fantasy-based MMORPGs, players are faced with a broad selection of character races. At the very least, you usually get the basics: Human, Elf, Dwarf and some kind of Halfling-type race.

The Chronicles of Spellborn offers only two races. Both of these races were once servitors and slaves to the "Eight Demons" (the bad guys who ruled over the world before it broke into small shards). Now that they Eight Demons aren't such a direct threat, each race is coming to their own.

Read the whole article here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• methulahmethulah Member Posts: 236
    Looking forward to it!
  • AngelBurstAngelBurst Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Great info, I think this is going to be the MMO for me. Im tired of the same old concepts. I think the industry can do without another cookie-cutter midevil fantasy MMO. We have plenty companies trying to reinvent the wheel (WOW) to no avail. It's time to move on to new concepts and stories. I welcome TCOS's bold move forward. Great job guys!
  • frea-mmofrea-mmo Member UncommonPosts: 6
    stealth classes?  buehg.. lame ,  stealth is for cowards
  • anoma7yanoma7y Member Posts: 27

Can't wait. Bring it!! Definitely looking forward to something fresh and TCOS is looking like it.

• PietoroPietoro Member Posts: 162
    Originally posted by AngelBurst

Great info, I think this is going to be the MMO for me. Im tired of the same old concepts. I think the industry can do without another cookie-cutter midevil fantasy MMO. We have plenty companies trying to reinvent the wheel (WOW) to no avail. It's time to move on to new concepts and stories. I welcome TCOS's bold move forward. Great job guys!
    Those are the exact same reasons why I'm looking forward to this game. =)
  • AphexAphex Member Posts: 194
    Originally posted by frea-mmo

stealth classes?  buehg.. lame ,  stealth is for cowards

There's not classic stealth though. The skinshifter's 'stealth' is purely done by taking over the shapes of creatures from the world, not by becoming invisible. I really wonder how this is going to work out.
  • YanenYanen Member Posts: 72
    I love how its considered "turning the fantasy genre on its ear" when you add animal parts to a humanoid form and drop some non-human races, lol give me a fucking break
  • Xix13Xix13 Member Posts: 259
    Wait...no healers?    Yikes!

-- Xix
    "I know what you're thinking: 'Why, oh WHY, didn't I take the BLUE pill?'"

• ghost047ghost047 Member UncommonPosts: 597
    Originally posted by Xix13

It is done for me, if there is no healer I will not play. That is the class I like to play.

And for the class you choose later on, I will pass too, I did not like that in EQ2. Waiting until you are level 20 to see if you like you template is a waste of time for me.

Get a life you freaking Gamer.....no no, you don't understand, I'm a Gamer, I have many lives!!

• Ironman2000Ironman2000 Member UncommonPosts: 310
    Only two races? Whats that all about?  That doesn't sound like it will give much opportunity for making your characters look unique....
  • poopypoowupoopypoowu Member Posts: 73

I think having multiple races and a  variety of classes ( around 8-10, like most MMORPGs) give  the game its own "oomph"

Having played many mmorpgs, classes with more than just 3 boring starting archetype, then QUESTING to see if you like it not is just plain boring.

EQ was alright when they did this, so this concept is not new.

There is no uniqueness to this game, even the classes are soo related to eachother, they offer no "specialty" to use.

take FFXI for example, they did a good job with their job system, having you reach a certain level to unlock new classes, and you can change anytime!

This job and race system just plain out bores me to death.

A game like this is going to fail, just like vanguard. my 2 cents.

• goingwyldegoingwylde Member Posts: 141
    Agreed.  Same old crap, different day.  Im still waiting to see some gameplay mechanics before I totally remove it from the "most anticipated" list, but it definitely just moved a step down.  Still waiting for AoC, and WaR.

same, still waiting for AoC, WAR, and willing to give that new sci-fi game a try.

• CroseCrose Member Posts: 209
    Originally posted by poopypoowu

Vanguard was fantastic conceptually.  It failed because it wasn't finished.  You should just put "Vanguard is bad" in your signature, then you won't have to reference it for no apparent reason in your posts.

Races were never that big a deal to me.  It's purely a cosmetic thing, and as long as I have other ways to make my character unique, I won't miss it at all.  The thing I'm worried about is no healing class.  Even if they come up with interesting group battle mechanics that don't involve the classic Tank Heal DPS set up, some of us LIKE being heal bots.  I find a DPS role to be incredibly boring.
  • AngelBurstAngelBurst Member UncommonPosts: 24

There is plenty of info on their website, and loads ov videos floating around about the game. You just have to be interested enough to actually take the time to read/find/view them. They are introducing the classes one by one. You havent seen all the classes yet, no one has, as explained on their website. Also the game design is much different then the norm, not just  new races. The combat system in particular is something that will set it apart from most MMOs, it actually takes skill. Not to mention the costume/armor-class freedom. There is much to look forward to here.

Originally posted by Crose

Vanguard was fantastic conceptually.  It failed because it wasn't finished.  You should just put "Vanguard is bad" in your signature, then you won't have to reference it for no apparent reason in your posts.

Races were never that big a deal to me.  It's purely a cosmetic thing, and as long as I have other ways to make my character unique, I won't miss it at all.  The thing I'm worried about is no healing class.  Even if they come up with interesting group battle mechanics that don't involve the classic Tank Heal DPS set up, some of us LIKE being heal bots.  I find a DPS role to be incredibly boring.

I think races creates who you are, it creates a bond with your character. And even though vanguard wasn't finished, it is still a bad game. I think it's a game designed for those with good computers, and people who like "good visuals". I've played the game, for the first 2-3 days, it was boring, it was laggy, it was ugly, it was digusting to see such a wonderful that HAD potential go to waste. If they worked on it a bit more, maybe it wouldn't be as bad as it is already. Anyways, Vanguard is bad, doesn't matter what you, unfinished or not, it is a bad game. It has no more potential when it first launched. Why? All these better MMORPGs out and upcomming.

I also find healing class exciting, i do too find dps boring. When i heal, it's like whack a mole with their HP bars :P.

Having a no healing class just made my opinion of the game go 2 scores down out of 10. current score is 5/10 :P

• DubazDubaz Member Posts: 112

This article is laughable. The information presented is not new, nor gamebreaking, and lacks alot of additional info to the more sceptic public here.

First of all, when you create an article about classes and races, why don't you go a tad bit more indepth? For example, copying the raw descriptions from their website can hardly be called making an article, it looks more like stealing for your school essays.

When you talk about only two classes, even emphasysing it by adding the strange keyword to it ( giving the impression you yourself wanted the article to end negatively ) you should perhaps also give them some screenshots, video's or any other information about the countless of forms your character can take.

I can tell you, that if the movies I've seen still count after the Beta, you can make characters looking like the big tubby baker from next door, or looking like the skinny, almost skeleton like underfed son.

Instead of the general click-and-select skins, you can use a colorpalet thats almost equal to photoshop. Your looks are equal to whatever you fancy, you can preselect gear to match your taste, the ultimate roleplayers dream.

About the "human combined with beast lololol"

First of all, apparently some people can't take original skinning and modeling. That's fine.
    However, some of you pretend it to be stupid, weird, foolish etc etc. I personally am very happy with this kind of setup. Playing something else than an elf on steroids is very refreshing sometimes.

I get the feeling, but this is purely based on ingame screens, that there is a sort of Soulreaver feeling to the game ( Personally I loved Soulreaver 1 )Twisted buildings, worlds and even your own character looks twisted.

and an oversized pic, link(jpg)

The people that responded so far, seem to base their opinions purely on the above article. You do not ask questions, you don't question the lack of information, you downgrade a game by 2 points on this abomination of an article. That's rather sad to be hounest.

Be more informed, when you still don't like it, at least you have your reasons straight.

• KremlikKremlik Member UncommonPosts: 716

Don't mistake the lack of a 'pure' healer class as the lack of 'healers', they are there just that the artical is that vague it shows the wrong picture..

Plus bit of advice read the main site, play the beta, THEN see if you like the game, don't judge it via scraps of information

Bring on the WARRRRGGHH!

• TunangoTunango Member Posts: 79
    Originally posted by Kremlik

Don't mistake the lack of a 'pure' healer class as the lack of 'healers', they are there just that the artical is that vague it shows the wrong picture..

Plus bit of advice read the main site, play the beta, THEN see if you like the game, don't judge it via scraps of information

Healers are for wimps.
  • RayanaRayana Member UncommonPosts: 525
    Originally posted by Kremlik

Sorry, but the main site doesn't have THAT much info and most of it is heavily outdated anyway. Playing the beta? How exactly? He has to be damn lucky to get in at all.

------------------------------------------------

Playing: Final Fantasy Online: ARR, Destiny
    Most memorable games for me: UO, GW1, LoTRO

• logangregorlogangregor Member Posts: 1,524

I think having multiple races and a  variety of classes ( around 8-10, like most MMORPGs) give  the game its own "oomph"
    Having played many mmorpgs, classes with more than just 3 boring starting archetype, then QUESTING to see if you like it not is just plain boring.
    EQ was alright when they did this, so this concept is not new.
    There is no uniqueness to this game, even the classes are soo related to eachother, they offer no "specialty" to use.
    take FFXI for example, they did a good job with their job system, having you reach a certain level to unlock new classes, and you can change anytime!
    This job and race system just plain out bores me to death.

You dont have a crystal ball and you like Final Fantasy.

You fail at opinions.

• XersuesXersues Member Posts: 40
    This game really isn't "the same old crap different day" looking at these bad class descriptions I'd agree with you, but go on their website and look at the lists of skills for the casters and warriors. You'll notice a ton of effects and statuses a character can be in. When you use a shield slam for instance, it leaves you vulnerable, but stuns the enemy you were hitting, but if anything else is wacking you, you'll get hit harder, its a lot of give and take in the skills, want to get in a fury? Hit harder when fighting, lose it a little when healed. You have to make decisions, and Its things like that which make me excited for this game. It takes strategy and some brainmatter. Let's not forget a rotating skill deck and fps type gameplay with no autotargeting and that sweetens the deal for me. This article really does a terrible job of repsyching the mind, but if you look into the game, watch the videos you can see some great things coming from this MMO.

And about not looking unique? If you actually LOOK into their character creation its a lot like City of Heroes/Villains. You can wear ANY armor piece or weapon, they don't have stats, stats are done differently. They also use sliders for color and sizes of parts. So instead of using a ton of presets (which there are, one of the interviews specifically talks about not want to feel limited with two races) but you can also use sliders to adjust it.
  • Sp00shSp00sh Member Posts: 48
    So badass! Sooooo Badass!  Lol, I love everything about this game so far! 
  • JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075
    I like it. Classes/archetypes sound pretty simular to age of conan. Except they get to have no healers, not fair!

My blog: image

• DaikazeDaikaze Member Posts: 3
    Who said there are no healers? There is no specified healer class because they are listed as a part of casters. All of the casters have some sort of heal available to them. IIRC one of the healers has a few more heals than the other 2. Of course, it doesn't appear that any player will be able to healbot.

Anyway the information is out there and there are plenty of gameplay videos as well.