Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Awesome game.

ParapsychoParapsycho Member UncommonPosts: 108

I wish the people leaving negative hype had actually played the game before doing so, and that the MMORPG.com staff deleted those without comments remotely related to the game. At least the person who said "It looks like crap" bothered to take a look at the screenshots.

This game is really good. Much better than AutoAssault. Seriously. Everyone complaining about AA's lack of depth and originality should try this game. The game's turn-based gameplay will definately turn some people off, I won't lie about that, but if you can get past that, the game is really fun. If you cant get past that, then please just let the game be and stop flaming it.

This game is being developed by a single person. One person, doing everything. That is simply amazing, and I think it needs to be recognized. It's ironic that indy developers are taking more risks with game design, but get the worst flames when what they do isnt perfect. Very sad...

----------------------------
Currently Playing:
DarkWind: War on Wheels

Games Played/Beta Tested

Matrix Online
Auto Assault
Anarchy Online
Everquest 1 & 2
EVE

Comments

• metamorphosemetamorphose Member Posts: 2

Darkrwind has an original game play content, making it something much more different than a hack-n-slash game like most of the mmorpgs. Being a turn-based car fighting game is not making it boring, it just makes it a strategy game, a good one.

It is true that game graphics are not super-duper, but the developer (notice that I say [THE] developer, not developer[S]!) is focused on the originality of the content and trying to make it a strategy game rather than an action game.

A considerable amount of people were waiting for a good
    implementation of car-wars-like tabletop games, and Darkwind seems to
    be it.

-----------------------------
    war, war never changes..
    -----------------------------

• ParapsychoParapsycho Member UncommonPosts: 108

Originally posted by metamorphose 
    Being a turn-based car fighting game is not making it boring, it just makes it a strategy game, a good one.

Well said. That's what I meant to say. It is an excelent strategy game, but since people are so used to action and 'sandwich' gameplay, it will take some people alot of time and patience to get used to. Unfortunately, the MMO genre hasnt done much to lengthen people's attention spans. I think this game will do well despite that, though.

Currently Playing:

Games Played/Beta Tested

Matrix Online
    Auto Assault
    Anarchy Online
    Everquest 1 & 2
    EVE

• KalleriKalleri Member Posts: 10

This graf little..pure.

• GepardenKGepardenK Member Posts: 5
    Made by just one person? thats pretty good.

Exsplain to me, how does this game really work. With the turned based system and all.....
  • surfing.stefsurfing.stef Member Posts: 30
    @GepardenK:

Well a good solution would be to have a look at the game.

It is currently free, so you won't be fooled.

In races, you define movement of your car with the help of a "ghost" car, showing your trajectory for the next move (1 game second, or one game turn). You setup your speed, eventual targets (in the case of deathraces) and validate your turn.

Once every players have validated their moves, server sends back relevant informations: moves are processed, firing phase preformes and damages resolved.  A new turn is then processed and so on.

You have 30 seconds to validate your actions, and 1 minute if you have 2 cars to manage.In general, with experienced players moves are performed every 10/15 seconds.

One of the advantages of a TBG (turned-based game) like this, is that if your connection is dropped for some reason, you can still rejoin the game within 300 seconds and continue playing at the point you left it. This is something, no other game can provide you.

Everything else, is managed through the web browser and a java client for the lobby.

Hope it helps.

viKKing

--------------------------------
    Contributor,
    Darkwind: War on Wheels

Psychic Software cannot be liable for my posts.
    Concerns expressed are only mine.

• PrinnySquadPrinnySquad Member Posts: 90

I love turn-based. That already had me sold.

I'm always keeping my eyes open for more turn-based games coming out, and this one is pretty cool so far.

• jeansbergjeansberg Member Posts: 1
    Turn-based sounded a bit strange to me at first, but it really works in the game. It really shifts the focus from reflexes to tactics.
  • NajtroNajtro Member Posts: 54
    Gonna try it later, ty

Breakdown: Achiever 40.00%, Explorer 46.67%, Killer 66.67%, Socializer 46.67%

KSEA players often seek out PVP in a game, but they are looking to socialize with and form alliances with other players who are interested in doing the same. They often seek out guilds or clans that organize formal PVP events, or work on group strategies and tactics.

• teamgeneteamgene Member Posts: 5

Awesome game!   Very addicting, start off racing and learn the ropes, then get with others and go on wilderness adventures. 

Thats one of my favorite things about DW. The community is amazing.

The players are mature, supportive, and helpful.

I can honestly say that I have never seen anyone act mean-spirited towards another player. Even when you are competing against other players, everyone seems to behave in the spirit of good gamership. When someone beats me at a race, I congratulate them, and vice versa. To be honest, there isnt alot of PVP in the game. Although that option is certainly there, people seem to play more cooperatively. Even our "evil" (via roleplay) player is really nice, and usually attacks NPC traders and bounty-hunters instead of players.

Helping new players is really fun! DarkWind is a complex game, but we try to help out new players as much as possible.

I really wish more games had a community like DarkWind's.

Currently Playing:

Games Played/Beta Tested

Matrix Online
    Auto Assault
    Anarchy Online
    Everquest 1 & 2
    EVE

• mike480mike480 Member Posts: 75

It's always good to play a game that has a great community- is it freee to play?

• surfing.stefsurfing.stef Member Posts: 30

Mike480: yes, the game is free to play for regular events (races, deathraces, arena combats), you can also participate in socuting with a borrowed vehicle (see Roundup 2044 thread).

For such things but the latest, you don't need to own a car, hence you can't until you subscribe.

The free part is a lot of fun already.

--------------------------------
    Contributor,
    Darkwind: War on Wheels

Psychic Software cannot be liable for my posts.
    Concerns expressed are only mine.

• DedthomDedthom Member Posts: 541

If you have ever played Car Wars or Dark Future or even Axle Tribes then you should give this game a try. I was a bit worried about the game being slow like the above mentioned board and miniature games but when you play the turns go by very fast. Once you get the hang of the game then you can input your orders in just a few seconds, even with shooting.

This game is niche but I know of no other MMO that fills the car combat need so well with out just being a copy of other twitch combat games.

Also, what could be done with this game is wide open. The devs could do so much as far as content.

We often bitch and moan that all MMOs are just clones of something else but here is an original idea and it amazes me that people are so down on DW, I would say most rag on it based solely on the screen shots.

""But Coyote, you could learn! You only prefer keyboard and mouse because that's all you've ever known!" You might say right before you hug a rainforest and walk in sandals to your drum circle where you're trying to raise group consciousness of ladybugs or whatever it is you dirty goddamn hippies do when you're not busy smoking pot and smelling bad."
    Coyote's Howling: Death of the Computer

• ArganoshArganosh Member Posts: 2

I found this game by someone else mentioning it in a different game forum. I downloaded it and played for free for a few days. When I found it's very inexpensive to subscribe I plunked down my cash because this game rocks.

The game play is easy to pick up, the combat is fast and furious. I have had more fun with this game than any other in a long while.

It's Free, so why not download and give it a try.

• DevonnnnDevonnnn Member Posts: 6

ill give it a try, tks....

Everybody wants to be a cat. 'Cuz a cat's the only cat, who knows where it's at!

Currently Playing

• blackangrusblackangrus Member Posts: 1

This game is absolutely incredible, its actually captured my attention long enough to create an account on mmorpg.com and leave this positive review. Definitely worth trying. The concept is strange at first, but IT WILL GROW ON YOU. There is enough action to keep the turn based flowing nicely and enough turn base to allow for strategic planning of said action....TRY THIS GAME!!!

• wolfmannwolfmann Member Posts: 1,159

I just signed up for a year of this.

something about the game that really clicks with me. That and it ain't a WoW wannabe, it aint run by SOE, or some greedy fuc*tards that NGE's the game.. Instead the devs talk with us and tells us their plans and ask for input....

and it works, game just keeps getting better and better!

Altho, I have to get back to the game, I just totalled in a league race, and have to check if my driver will be racing again this month...or year heeh

imageThe last of the Trackers

• DARTHSPANKYDARTHSPANKY Member Posts: 1

i dissagree its not awsome.

a game of carebears, who are afraid of pvp, and only want to grind to get their precious gangers leveled or get rares, and when you try to pvp other players they complain and ban you even when you dont grief players.  read old forum posts and decide for yourself.

i was banned for sending private messages to the developer expressing how the game nerfs certain playstlyes, that and a few colorful words :), while some moderators openly use foul language in open chat or in forums without any reprocussions alienating those who dont play the carebear playstlye.

a good game if you want to play like everyone else does and are a carebear, but if you pvp you will be severly harrassed.

this will prolly be petitioned to be removed, they dont like hearing the truth.

Well, I for one dont mind PVP. I even PVP'd with you outside elmsfield a few times Darth. That was a ton of fun. 

Sorry to see you go. :(

Currently Playing:

Games Played/Beta Tested

Matrix Online
    Auto Assault
    Anarchy Online
    Everquest 1 & 2
    EVE

• TimmyTimmy Member Posts: 68

I will try this when I can. I will be honest, it doesn't look good. But I will try and give a review of it. I don't bash off the bat, I hope it hooks me like it did all of you!

• MmorpgeriusMmorpgerius Member UncommonPosts: 56

What the OP said. Throw away your prejudice and give it a go!

Complex and challenging game for the people who like their games that way. You're not going to find hand-holding in the deserts of Evan...