Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cyberpunk, where's the love?

jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I really want to see a good cyberpunk MMO but I don't know if anyone has the balls to make one right with all the questionable content that should be included. There's not really alot of good cyberpunk games period. What's up with that? Is it a genre that I have for some reason fallen in love with and isn't too popular? So if you're reading this and have the contacts and resources to make a wicked rad bad cyberpunk game show some love won't you? Whoever's with me clap your hands.

Comments

• girsnoopygirsnoopy Member Posts: 65
    Neocron is like the best Cyber Punk MMO there is but the problem is it sucks.

It was fun for awhile, music is nice and feel of the game is nice but so many bugs and poor management makes the game go down the @#(#tter. I wish someone else would make a cyber punk game, I really miss them.
  • RedmowRedmow Member Posts: 196

Cyberpunk would be really cool. Pen and paper RP'd that a few times.

But, I think I would prefer Shadowrun. If someone ever had the balls to do it right. I'm so sick of the same ole crap.

• LandogarnerLandogarner Member Posts: 57
    I'd like to see a mmo based on Neal Stephenson's cyber punk novel Snow Crash. I want to be a futuristic samurai.   
  • LV426LV426 Member Posts: 883
    HELL NO! Forget Shadowrun, Cyberpunk would SERIOUSLY rule if done right.

Admittedly, to do it right, you might need to risk the M rating or worse, but the world, the toys, EVERYTHING screams this could kick so much ass it's not even funny!
  • KryogenicKryogenic Member Posts: 663
    Originally posted by LV426

Admittedly, to do it right, you might need to risk the M rating or worse, but the world, the toys, EVERYTHING screams this could kick so much ass it's not even funny!

Ummmm... Shadowrun IS Cyberpunk.

• gillvane1gillvane1 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,503
    Shadowrun Online was recently canceled.

But that was an FPS. Maybe they'll make an MMORPG, who knows? There are a lot of people that would like to take a break from dwarves adn elves.

MMORPG Maker
  • jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    Originally posted by girsnoopy

Neocron is like the best Cyber Punk MMO there is but the problem is it sucks.

It was fun for awhile, music is nice and feel of the game is nice but so many bugs and poor management makes the game go down the @#(#tter. I wish someone else would make a cyber punk game, I really miss them.
    Yeah, I tried it but the graphics and lag are too attrocious to be worthwhile. I think suits for major developers are too afraid to make a M rated MMO save for funcom maybe? They made Anarchy Online which is heading in the right direction towards what I want to see but now quite it.
  • XantaxXantax Member Posts: 89
    All ideas are open.. i myself would like to see what that is all about.

• Originally posted by gillvane1

But that was an FPS. Maybe they'll make an MMORPG, who knows? There are a lot of people that would like to take a break from dwarves adn elves.

MMORPG Maker
    I'm really glad that Microsoft shut them down...it's significant because it could mean that Microsoft, or another more capable studio, will be doing a Shadowrun MMOG in the near future.

BTW...Shadowrun has dwarves and elves too.
  • solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203
    I agree cyberpunk is a good sub-genre for an MMO. And it actually has a broad range: You could do Deus Ex cyberpunk and then you could do Bloodnet cyberpunk (well, with or without the vampires).

More importantly, let's see some futuristic techno-noir cityscapes already! Massive populations and looming high-rises. Let's see some Blade Runner, some Ghost in the Shell... Some Max Headroom, even.

Of course, the rock star of cyberpunk, namely Gibson's The Sprawl trilogy would make a sleek setting for a cyberpunk MMO, too.
  • PhantomGunPhantomGun Member Posts: 18
    I pen and papered that game about 5 years ago I think. It was fun because we had a good GM. I think it would be awesome if they turned it into a MMORPG. Then again it would have to be done right. Bioware could probably pull off a good story, but we will see how their current MMO project turns out.

-------------------------
    Currently Playing: VCO
    Waiting for: Florensia, Age of Conan, Aion, & Guild Wars 2.

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,319

As long they stick with 2nd edition. 3rd edition was just horrible. What does it say about a game when kneeling and staying still makes you harder to hit than moving around trying to dodge?
  • FinbarFinbar Member UncommonPosts: 187
    I would play one but only if it was based on the R. Talasorian franchise of the Cyber Punk genre called specifically Cyberpunk 2020. Most others (the ones from White Wolf especially) are just campy and childish.

FINBAR
    -------------------------------------------

Originally posted by gillvane1

MMORPG Maker

You're wrong. The Shadowrun FPS is being release at the end of the month on 360. It has not been canceled and there's even an ad for it in the Halo 3 multiplayer beta.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the release date is May 29th.

• gpettgpett Member Posts: 1,105
    Originally posted by Landogarner

I'd like to see a mmo based on Neal Stephenson's cyber punk novel Snow Crash. I want to be a futuristic samurai.   
    One of my favorate books of all time. 

One reason I liked a lot of the cyberpunk style books and the Cyberpunk game better than Shadowrun (dont ge me wrong I loved shadowrun) is that I do not like the mutants, different races, and magic.  I would want a cyberpunk/shadowrun style game without magic, elves, dwarves, and trolls.
  • jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    I'm actually trying to make a cyberpunk game right now on my own. I don't know if it'll be mmo but I'm gonna have some sort of multiplayer in it. I just started.. All I have right now is some code for the GUI. I don't know if I'll ever finish, I'm not really the best programmer. I'd say I'm somewhere around intermediate but I am a pretty good artist. Hopefully I can at least get it to a point where I can get some sort of playability and some screenshots and maybe then I can get some help with it. I'm standing pretty much where gpett is with the magic and elves crap. Don't think it should be mixed with cyberpunk. I think the diversity of humans would do just fine for a game.
  • ghost047ghost047 Member UncommonPosts: 597
    Originally posted by Kryogenic

Originally posted by gillvane1

MMORPG Maker

You're wrong. The Shadowrun FPS is being release at the end of the month on 360. It has not been canceled and there's even an ad for it in the Halo 3 multiplayer beta.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the release date is May 29th.

Here

You are not wrong Kryo, but gill should get is facts straight before making any statement.

Get a life you freaking Gamer.....no no, you don't understand, I'm a Gamer, I have many lives!!

• LV426LV426 Member Posts: 883

No Shadowrun is of the Ganre Cyberpunk. There is a tabletop game of that title. I should know. I have the source book. (Version 2)

No Shadowrun is of the Ganre Cyberpunk. There is a tabletop game of that title. I should know. I have the source book. (Version 2)

Naming a game Cyberpunk is like naming a table top game Mystery. Seems kinda generic to me. So generic in fact that I had no idea that you were refering to an actual game and not the genre itself.

I've done alot of tabletop gaming and video gaming, and I love to read good sci fi and fantasy books, but I've never even heard of Cyberpunk the game.

I think I'll make a new tabletop game called Sci Fi. LOL

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348
    Funcom's recently announced The World Online has some serious modern day cyberpunk overtones to it. We don't know much about it right now, but it certainly seems to have some inspiration from the cyberpunk world.

And yea, we need a good cyberpunk game. If anyone could do that, it'd be Funcom. :)

Also we've got the recently announced CCP/White Wolf World of Darkness MMOG. While based around dark horrors, mysteries, vampires, mages and werewolves. There is definately some cyberpunk appeal to it. Though admittedly the new world of darkness that the MMOG is based on is a lot less 'cyberpunk' and a lot more 'personal horror.' But we'll see how it goes. :)

• LilianeLiliane Member Posts: 591
    I would also like to see good Cyperpunk mmog.

MMORPG.COM has worst forum editor ever exists

Sorry Funcom's upcoming MMOG isn't 'The World Online' it's now 'The Secret World.'

And how exactly is White Wolf's WoD 'chidlish and campy'? Have you read any of their work since the original stuff in 92? It's freaking GREAT these days. Though theres a lot less cyberpunk to it then there used to be.

• Originally posted by Fion

Funcom's recently announced The World Online has some serious modern day cyberpunk overtones to it. We don't know much about it right now, but it certainly seems to have some inspiration from the cyberpunk world.

And yea, we need a good cyberpunk game. If anyone could do that, it'd be Funcom. :)

Also we've got the recently announced CCP/White Wolf World of Darkness MMOG. While based around dark horrors, mysteries, vampires, mages and werewolves. There is definately some cyberpunk appeal to it. Though admittedly the new world of darkness that the MMOG is based on is a lot less 'cyberpunk' and a lot more 'personal horror.' But we'll see how it goes. :)
    "...Taking place on our earth, in our times, ‘The Secret World’ is inspired by history and mythology, modern conspiracy theories and ancient mysteries."

I interpret that to mean: The Secret World = Tomb Raider Online!

No matter, 'The Secret World' is still many years away from launch if it launches at all.
  • vajurasvajuras Member Posts: 2,860

well there is a shadowrun cyberpunk FPS coming out for consoles and PC. its an FPS though, grrrrr. ill wait til the demo hits xbox live before I comment

was Tron 2.0 considered cyberpunk? was thinking of reinstalling it

Lmao this is Funcom. I guarantee you that it won't be anything like Tombraider lol. It'll most likely be very deep, complex, with a strong focus on story and variety.

I mean the viral campaign that introduced it was so complex, it took those of us who worked on it days before we really figured much of anything out. It was fantastic. :) Hope game the game has a modicum of the complexity and depth the viral campaign had. Knowing Funcom, it absolutely will. :)