Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I just picked up guild wars, about 7 hours ago. Extremely Dissapointed.

ExavusExavus Member Posts: 200
I put the cd in and started installing. Then it began to download a patch. This patch was roughly 40-60mb and it was downloading at 4kb/sec. I rebooted and tried again. Same speed. I checked my firewall/router and made sure it wasn't being blocked. Still 4kb/sec. I waited hours for it to finish and it finally did.

I made my cool Necromancer chick and then hit enter and now i'm trying to enter Ascalon City. But no.. I need to download a patch for that city as well. This ones much bigger and its going at 4kb/sec again. I minimized and started playing C&C 3 and it locked up my pc so I had to start the download all over again. I'm on high end DSL and this is insanely stupid..

I want to enjoy this game but i'm about to give it away because I don't have the patience to download at dial up speeds. Does anyone know of ANY website that has ALL available game patches on filefront or some kind of server that isn't on the moon giving me terrible speed?

/end frustrating rant. >.<

Current MMO: WoW/GW2

Comments

• jak_ojak_o Member Posts: 19
    First of all, it sounds like you either have a very bad connection (from the sounds of your post it sounds like that is not the problem), or were very unlucky with the time you connected. Usually it is not a problem getting 100 kb/s for me.

One solution to skipping the download each time you enter a new area if takes a long time, is start the game with /image added to the command line. This will make sure you dowload every available file before the game starts, thus you can do that overnight or something.
  • XantaxXantax Member Posts: 89
    Firstly, please be aware that people from all over the world connect to the net.

USA 6am to 1am i think when this was posted on the board. so not many people from the states or even brazil are on, so where else? try far east, Japan, China and Korea etc... now this can all be a problem if everyone wants the same file.

Also remember that you connect to the internet through a local connection which means your neighbours use the same connection you do or the server side is soo busy that hardly anything can get through.

Do not let a terrible connection get you down, wait a while and try again -- or a different site.

• tylerwicktylerwick Member Posts: 446
    Hmm, I usually Download patches at the minimum of around 200kb a sec.  Thats on a day where everyones patching.
  • JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075
    I dunno why its so slow, I'm no techie. But PvP is one of the funnest games ever, if your good. Some people have hate for it since they can't get better than everybody else via grinding/armour and have no talent for a skill based game, I pity them. Goodluck.

My blog: image

i enjoy the ocassional bit of pvp. unfortunatly, that is all i can enjoy.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory crashed on my pc when ever i load into a multiplayer game. the same with BF2. so that is unfortunate. Anyway.

Try all the different servers, i'm sure there is a server capable of high speed connections.

• FaurFaur Member Posts: 330
    Originally posted by Consensus

I dunno why its so slow, I'm no techie. But PvP is one of the funnest games ever, if your good. Some people have hate for it since they can't get better than everybody else via grinding/armour and have no talent for a skill based game, I pity them. Goodluck.
    Christ, what's up with this kind of attitude. Not all of us enjoy consentual arena based pvp. One more of these "your mmo takes no skill" posts and I'm gonna have to write up a rant.
  • grimbojgrimboj Member Posts: 2,102
    OP: Yah the guild wars speeds have dropped a bit recently. Try at offpeak times. Give it a chance as its an amazing game the first time you play it and the original game world are still packed with people able to assist you as a newbie.

--
    Note: PlayNC will refuse to allow you access to your account if you forget your password and can't provide a scanned image of the product key for the first product you purchased..... LOL

• cyanncyann Member Posts: 73
    ;s Just leave it m8. GW sux.   PvE is dumb, PvP  dunno, i disliked pvpin in wow but in gw its even worst. Maybe just need praktice but

:P     deleted game x months ago. Wasted money. gogo AoC
  • QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    That's strange..  a few days ago I was instaling GW using the client from the website (didn't have cds) and I could  play it within an hour...
  • brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092
    Don't even bother trying to play. It really is not fun, at all. I played for about 2 hours, and just couldn't take the monotony.
  • DrafellDrafell Member Posts: 588

If /image doesn't work, then use -image on the command path instead.

It will depend on time of day as to download speed, but usually it should be much faster.

Hope this helps.

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803
    like some one else said run the game with /image and leave it overnight

and you should try it GW is an amazing game, but do not expect to grind or a social economy. its more of a Diablo 2 style game where outside of towns is instanced... but thats for PvE...

the game was designed for PvP.. the stuff in there is incredible...

there isnt a mass PVP yet but its on the way with GW2

but there are so many ways you can pvp   1v1 4v4random 4v4team GvG 8v8, tournaments ,ladder, hero, battles, aliance battles, faciton battles... challenges...

give it a try. but you will only get better if you unlock skills which you can do while you pvp or pve. and there are soo many. also any combination (in your case necromancer with anything else is never a bad combo...

and its not an equipment makes you god game either... its your skills at 100% and your team skills as well

when you have the whole game patched up you will have 2 second load screens (at least in my case) and the new patches that come in after you have all of it will download as you play (thats the key for GW)

• leipurileipuri Member Posts: 559

Originally posted by Faur
    Originally posted by Consensus
    I dunno why its so slow, I'm no techie. But PvP is one of the funnest games ever, if your good. Some people have hate for it since they can't get better than everybody else via grinding/armour and have no talent for a skill based game, I pity them. Goodluck.
    Christ, what's up with this kind of attitude. Not all of us enjoy consentual arena based pvp. One more of these "your mmo takes no skill" posts and I'm gonna have to write up a rant.

He was talking about skill it takes to pvp, not if its consentual or not. GW pvp is top on my list, because it requires skill like Consensus said. Most mmorpgs on market that have pvp require grind more than actual player skill.
    He is arguing that GW's pvp takes skill because everyone starts on a level playing field in a symmetrical arena, and nobody fights if they aren't ready. I'm not disagreeing with that. I played and enjoyed GW.

I argue that a game involving long term wars between player-run alliances where battles can occur at any time anywhere in the game also take skill, but in the form of politics, planning, strategy, and tactics.

I'm just sick and tired of these arguments towards open pvp games taking "no skills" because the side with the better plan is more likely to win, and the defeated side can't see past the "you only won because [xyz]" aspect. It's especially irritating when you throw in lines like "you just don't like it because you have no talent".
  • CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440
    Are you on a wireless connection connecting to a router in your home?

Originally posted by Faur

He is arguing that GW's pvp takes skill because everyone starts on a level playing field in a symmetrical arena, and nobody fights if they aren't ready. I'm not disagreeing with that. I played and enjoyed GW.

I argue that a game involving long term wars between player-run alliances where battles can occur at any time anywhere in the game also take skill, but in the form of politics, planning, strategy, and tactics.

I'm just sick and tired of these arguments towards open pvp games taking "no skills" because the side with the better plan is more likely to win, and the defeated side can't see past the "you only won because [xyz]" aspect. It's especially irritating when you throw in lines like "you just don't like it because you have no talent".
    could you please name a few games that have that?

i know SWG pre-Cu had that (i was deep in SWG rebel v imperial politics and war against the rebels) but now thats useless since CU and NGE. so i am really interested to know what games have that

and if you are about to say WoW, dont bother, there is not politics in WoW since you cant even communicate with the opposing factions.

i would like to be able to sit with the leaders of oposite faction guilds for some politics and term agreement on teritory and wars with the risk of those discussions going bad and an all scale war erupts in the meeting chambers and heads start to roll... (ahh the good SWG -precu days....)

Eve, Lineage2, and Shadowbane are the first that come into mind. You can win wars in all of those not by yourself, but by organization.

Here's a map over Eve, which sorta illustrates how some of the player-corporations fit together.

www.eve-files.com/media/corp/CRII/Latest.jpg
  • MuffinStumpMuffinStump Member UncommonPosts: 474

Wow, sorry you are having that much trouble with the game. I have never had any problems with the patch speed but there are a million different computer configurations and networks. Good luck.

I am a little surprised at the amount of venom directed towards one of the best reviewed titles out there however. The GW world/expansions are rock solid. This group tends to condemn sunlight, ice cream and puppies.

Of course I'm not sure this is the place for GW technical support either. :)

Ah well. I hope you have better luck at another date.

Originally posted by Xstortion

Originally posted by Hohbein

Enjoy the patching, it's probably the most exciting part of the game. Seriously, if I were you I'd probably just give up now, it's one of the worst MMO's ever created. Actually not one of the, it's -the- worst. Yes, worse than E&B.
    Agree with you, Worst game ever created in history, Hell I'll give my account away because thats just how GAY it is. why dont you give some reasoning for your claims? (both of you)

when i say something i give the reasons of statement and if possible some proof of it

i can very easely say i hate WoW/. but that will just make me an idiot who just says that because others say that without backing up his statements. instead ill give out reasons like: infinte grind and only objective at endgame is raids. nothing else to do. i wont really get in details of that ive written other articles on why i do not enjoy x game and why i like better other games...

every one is entitled to their own opinion. so for the love of god and anything that is holly explain or give reasons/proof of your statements.

right now the only response i can give to your " its the worst game ever created in history" claim is "WHY?"

if you have an answer then lets hear it if not then shut up and go away.

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458
    It has never gone that slow while downloading for me. the game usually only takes around a minute to download any one map for me if i haven't played it in a while but it will load almost instantly if i have played recently. guild wars downloads the needed files for a map as you're going there so it takes up less space with the installation. anyways, it's a fun game unless you play video games 6+ hours a day since the max level is only 20. after you get level 20 you can pvp and have well.. guild wars if thats your thing. guild wars is aimed more towards the casual player than the person with lots of time to spend on video games alone.

good luck fixing that connection problem !

• DrafellDrafell Member Posts: 588

Originally posted by MuffinStump
    This group tends to condemn sunlight, ice cream and puppies.

The sunlight, it burns my skin, it hurts my eyes, and it's HOT!
    The ice-cream, it freezes my mouth, it numbs my tongue and it's COLD!
    The puppies, they mess everywhere, they bite my ankles, they shred my furniture, the slime my slippers, and they are FURRY!

Originally posted by Squal'Zell

Enjoy the patching, it's probably the most exciting part of the game. Seriously, if I were you I'd probably just give up now, it's one of the worst MMO's ever created. Actually not one of the, it's -the- worst. Yes, worse than E&B.
    Agree with you, Worst game ever created in history, Hell I'll give my account away because thats just how GAY it is.
    why dont you give some reasoning for your claims? (both of you)
    when i say something i give the reasons of statement and if possible some proof of it

i can very easely say i hate WoW/. but that will just make me an idiot who just says that because others say that without backing up his statements. instead ill give out reasons like: infinte grind and only objective at endgame is raids. nothing else to do. i wont really get in details of that ive written other articles on why i do not enjoy x game and why i like better other games...

every one is entitled to their own opinion. so for the love of god and anything that is holly explain or give reasons/proof of your statements.

right now the only response i can give to your " its the worst game ever created in history" claim is "WHY?"
    if you have an answer then lets hear it if not then shut up and go away.

<Mod edit>
    in both your cases, wheather you like it or not, did you recognise each other at all on these forums???
    All i see is cussing and if reported by both sides, there could be a potential problem.
    Squal'zell: if everyone is entitled to their own opinion then you should let them express their opinion not to flame it otherwise your controlling their opinion.
    Xstoration: you should of kept your mouth shut IMO, with that you could end up in serious trouble on these forums.
    There is a common curtasy you both accepted to without seeing it; being here is a priviledge not a right. you probably already know this, but causing choas like this tells me that you just thrown that away. The admins are the ones who have the right to if you stay or leave, not some other guy who does not like what he/she hears/sees.

Enough of that. I just played Guildwars, a pvp cookie cutter... how disappointing. all i can say is good luck on your connection.

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

I moved the thread to the GW forums. Good luck with resolving your issues!

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• AkaraxleAkaraxle Member UncommonPosts: 471

Wow, so many terribad people dissing GW PvP. You must've been spanked real good by the Zaishen I guess... oh btw, the Zaishen are not real people. XD

• Man1acMan1ac Member Posts: 1,428

1. For the millionth god damn frikkin time it's not an MMO. It's a Corpg.

2. All game reviews back the game as "brilliant."

3. It's ranked third on MMORPG.COM

So you're basically saying 1000+ members of MMOPRG.COM have no taste. I think mabye you were using a 2kb connection to play the game if you thought it was that bad.

We're all Geniuses. Most of us just don't know it.