Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: SOE Gamer Day Overview

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

On May 9th, Joe Iuliani attended the SOE Gamer Day in New York. Today, he writes this report on what he saw and heard at the event.

It was my pleasure to attend the SOE Gamer Day 2007 in New York. Sony started off the presentation with a trailer from the upcoming film, "Surf's Up" (animated penguins surfing. Sure the West Coast gets Spiderman, I get penguins. How's that for being born under a bad sign.), another animated feature with enough hidden laughs for all to enjoy. The animation in the trailer was outstanding, something that carried over into the gaming portion of the presentation.

A montage of animated game scenes, as well as game play sizzle videos, followed the trailer and really captured the crowd's attention. The level of detail in the animation of "Surf's Up", "SpiderMan3" and the gameplay footage really showed Sony's attention to detail. This type commitment falls in line with Sony's upcoming gaming theory.

Read Joe's full account of Gamer Day here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• BaronJuJuBaronJuJu Member UncommonPosts: 1,832

"For those fans already loyal to an SOE game or two, there is a ton of new content coming out for all your favorite existing SOE products: Everquest, Everquest II, Star Wars Galaxies, and Vanguard Saga of Heroes have all got something on the horizon. "

Did they say exactly what the new content would be for those games, or was that the extent of the statement?

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

• terrorantulaterrorantula Member Posts: 174

No point reading this because it's just the same old.........

4/5 lackluster mmorpgs out with content noone could care less if it came out or not and 1 upcoming mmorpg which looks good but i'm sure it'll be ruined at some point.

• ArcheusCrossArcheusCross Member Posts: 793
    just smoke and mirrors.... smoke and mirrors....

"Do not fret! Your captain is about to enter Valhalla!" - General Beatrix of Alexandria

"The acquisition of knowledge is of use to the intellect, for nothing can be loved or hated without first being known." - Leo da Vinci

• NGESUCKSNGESUCKS Member Posts: 153
    I find it funny they dont mention star wars galaxies the game they killed and tryed to turn into WOW lol. How SOE is still in business is seriously byond me.Theyve been given unbelievable opportunities with 2 franchises and have done nothing but destroy them.

*Games on our site will be treated just as we treat people. Unsubstantiated comments about specific or general games will be penalized in nearly the same way attacks against people will. The exception is that you can say mean things about games provided you back it up with reasons.
    Example: "Game X sucks." is not a legitimate comment. "Game X sucks, because..." is acceptable.

Thank you,

The Staff
    MMORPG.COM

• heimdallrheimdallr Member Posts: 61
    Well, good graphics are not everything for a game, especially when it is SOE MMO that we are talking about.

_________________________________________________________________________________________
    imageMMOs played-> UO: AoS, L2, GW, GW: F, HO, SoF, ToP

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    I remember when SOE was so popular each title had its own fan faire.  Sad indeed.
  • AbraxosAbraxos Member Posts: 412

Compare this with Smed's interview and SOE doesn't seem to want to talk much about MMORPGs.  Each title got about as much mention as SnoopDogg's cell phone games....

• EQ2 - offering a bright spot with the Kunark expansion but that isn't untill November.
    • VG - Who knows? Looks like they will make us wait another 2 weeks for any substantal news.
    • DC Online- Could be good. Last I heard , Jim Lee was onboard but they certainly are keeping hush hush. Let's hope Brad and Smed both stay way far away from this one.

I still say take EQII, EQI and VG and pull it's brightest talent. Use the funds from those people still playing those games and finance EQIII and make dang sure that when it goes into open beta that it is polished and awesome and they could redeem themselves.

• jaixjaix Member Posts: 99
    <sarcasm>WHAT ABOUT MATRIX ONLINE!? </sarcasm>
  • CiredricCiredric Member Posts: 723

As long as Smedley is there, SOE will be an also ran.  Worst executive in gaming corp, bar none.  Nothing worse than a clueless suit who thinks he knows it all.

• Joshua69Joshua69 Member UncommonPosts: 953
    Originally posted by NGESUCKS

I find it funny they dont mention star wars galaxies the game they killed and tryed to turn into WOW lol. How SOE is still in business is seriously byond me.Theyve been given unbelievable opportunities with 2 franchises and have done nothing but destroy them.
    along with what you said, and what sony said in the article...

Sony: Sony hopes to make gaming what gaming should be, not what many MMOs have become, which is a second job. Easier learning curves, quick-play games and the upcoming Sony Launcher are all geared toward fostering a more interactive gaming community.

wow...yea...sure...ummm...ok....and what about SWG which had one of the greatest community's...ever(i have personally never played it back in the day but know how awsome it was).

O and what about the PS3 which sucks balls and has no good games....o, but it has good graphix...and...umm..well....o yea! Home...w00 friggen h000. I want to spend RL money to buy furniture for my Virtual life. way to care more about  bringing people together than taking there money....
  • Xix13Xix13 Member Posts: 259

On a major website for very knowledgeable and experienced MMORPG gamers, they've got the gall to even waste the space to post this swill of an editorial/article?  Yikes!  Wonder how much went into the coffers at mmorpg.com to get that $OE logo posted so prominently on the front page?  I was afraid to login tonite seeing that thing!

I know.  Equal time for all MMO publishers.  Fine.  Just don't expect many folks on THIS site to buy into $OE's brave new world of watered down, simplistic gaming.

-- Xix
    "I know what you're thinking: 'Why, oh WHY, didn't I take the BLUE pill?'"

• ShadowFeintShadowFeint Member Posts: 64
    Originally posted by Joshua69

Sony: Sony hopes to make gaming what gaming should be, not what many MMOs have become, which is a second job. Easier learning curves, quick-play games and the upcoming Sony Launcher are all geared toward fostering a more interactive gaming community.

wow...yea...sure...ummm...ok....and what about SWG which had one of the greatest community's...ever(i have personally never played it back in the day but know how awsome it was).

O and what about the PS3 which sucks balls and has no good games....o, but it has good graphix...and...umm..well....o yea! Home...w00 friggen h000. I want to spend RL money to buy furniture for my Virtual life. way to care more about  bringing people together than taking there money....
    Easy learning curves and quick play games eh? Honestly this sounds more like the games I'd buy for a console not ones that id pay 15 a month to play

also on that Gods & Heroes game-

"There is currently a 6 person squad cap. This means that each player can train and control up to five of their own NPCs. This type of         gameplay allows for more effective gaming, you can roll a healer, have 2 ranged DPS and 2 melee types, and voila, instant group. It's a     great change of pace from waiting around looking for a healer or tank before tackling a mob."

well... yeah

Fun Factor is what makes or breaks a game, if its not fun just play something else.

• MahakaliMahakali Member Posts: 25

Edit: Had my morning coffee and decided to be nice. 

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642
    Dam , So close to Albany!  If RL was not more important, I would have rained on that Parade.

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• JustFinchJustFinch Member Posts: 113

Sony has only helped destroy this genre. Hell, remember EQ pre-Luclin? Yep. No Nexus meant bigger world. Then Plane of Knowledge? Go figure. Their making their games for 'everybody', but 'everybody' can be different. Think of it this way - you shoot for the moon, you'll land among stars, right? Think again. Stars are farther away - therefore you'll just fall into the infinite. That's what SOE is doing - trying to please everyone and failing to please anyone all at the same time. I LOVED this genre, it was an escape from morons and jerks who reminded me of how cruel people can be. Now those same morons and jerks are being invited to join an online sensation that I have literally been a part of since the first generation of MMO's. Oh well. John Smedley has done to MMO's what Todd Howard did to RPG's...

I hope Big Bethy and SOE team-up, then they'll make a first-person roleplaying action sports musclehead car theft game. LIKE zOMG /CR3AM*

*The star symbolizes my utter hatred for all things related to dumbing down games to make them less complex and easier for even the biggest of stuckup newbs to learn...

• Pjay2kPjay2k Member CommonPosts: 260

a company who destroyed one of the greatest games in the world, pre-cu star wars galaxies is claiming that they know what the players want and how games should be...

I'm lost of words, to be honest...

Sony, you destroyed your brand I won't even buy a sony battery in a shop, not to mention a mmorpg with the SOE brand on it..

SOE and NGE-Star Wars Galalaxies:
    Raph Koster: "It's like dumping the girlfriend who has always been patient and loving to chase after the supermodel who probably won't love you back."

• Pjay2kPjay2k Member CommonPosts: 260

but what keeps me smiling inside is:

SOE tried to compete with World of Warcraft by copying it and releasing the NGE.

now imagine how the managers (John Smedley) must feel after they lost 95 % of the community, although the plan was to maximize the 250.000 they had..

I would have loved to see they're faces after they realised what a mess they had done and that nowhere they reached the goal they actually had :)

SOE and NGE-Star Wars Galalaxies:
    Raph Koster: "It's like dumping the girlfriend who has always been patient and loving to chase after the supermodel who probably won't love you back."

• JustFinchJustFinch Member Posts: 113
    Originally posted by Pjay2k

but what keeps me smiling inside is:
    SOE tried to compete with World of Warcraft by copying it and releasing the NGE.
    now imagine how the managers (John Smedley) must feel after they lost 95 % of the community, although the plan was to maximize the 250.000 they had..
    I would have loved to see they're faces after they realised what a mess they had done and that nowhere they reached the goal they actually had :)

Your officially awesome. They were probably like, "zOMFG Blizzard HAX REAL LIF3!"

• MordacaiMordacai Member Posts: 309
    Marvel>DC anyways, as for the rest....meh SOE BS!
  • T3hpwnT3hpwn Member Posts: 94

SOE is evil.

Thank you, that is all.

• vizaviza Member Posts: 204
    Originally posted by terrorantula

No point reading this because it's just the same old.........

4/5 lackluster mmorpgs out with content noone could care less if it came out or not and 1 upcoming mmorpg which looks good but i'm sure it'll be ruined at some point.

QFT. They all run on the same crappy 5 year old engine. They need to update that thing. You ever jump with a character in a sony game? It's ridiculous. Wooden movement, unrealistic creature movement, wooden combat. They should make an engine like Turbine's, only with the wide open spaces of swg.

I am back to playing swg but only because my son loves star wars. I tried EQII and Vanguard and they are both swg with different costumes, weapons and less technology. I was like "I may as well play SOE in star wars land".

Since I started playing the spring after release, I had a lot of cool stuff waiting for me to claim and it's kind of fun since I'm playing with my son, but man that engine sucks the big one. That's what they really need to fix if they want to keep subscribers.

They need to scrap it, learn from Funcom and Turbine, and build SWG II.

Until Conan comes out it's the only game that can hold my interest. I got accused of being an item seller in DDO and they permabanned me without even checking the logs. Til that happened DDO was it... I'm not playing LOTRO because it's the same company and they'll never see another cent of mine.

-Viz

• joker1231978joker1231978 Member Posts: 30
    Hey Viza

My offer still stands.  I'll chip in $5.00 towards the development! 

SmilesLikeJoker
  • RaduerielRadueriel Member Posts: 57
    I Liked the brief trial of SWG but it was the reviews and general news of how bad things have gotten that made me decide to venture elsewhere. I'm not a big fan of SoE (The Borg), and I do what I can to not support them. But being a hypocrite here I did subscribe to Eq2 only because there was nothing else good to play.....Well I suppose I could have played WoW, but those kiddy graphics just was'nt for me.

The only way SoE will ever listen is if people stop supporting them.  Aswell I think that perhaps all these "why we hate sony threads"  should be sent to SoE hq. Perhaps it maybe a good eye opener for the company. Well in theory anyway.  Personally for me, once a good developer comes around and releases a game with little bugs and being at least 95% complete will I ever purchase / invest in that game. Wishful thinking huh?  Granted Lotr was such a game but for me it was literally a WoW clone and very much a disappointment.

Another company that I just can't stand is Funcom. They ruined my gaming experience on AnarchyOnline. I'll never invest in these SoE puppets ever again!

After reading this report, I can only think to myself, is that really there is nothing new. SoE wants to combine consul and pc gaming.. yay. When will SoE and its minions begin to listen to its old fanbase? No news of that...   My only hope is that Blizzard will bring out a slightly more mature mmorph and save us all.
  • TniceTnice Member Posts: 563
    EQ2 is the sugar daddy for all the other trash that SOE has out there at the moment.  They could get rid of every other MMO they offer including the up and coming Gods and Heroes and only lose a very small percentage of their business.
  • KraeneeKraenee Member Posts: 166
    It would sure be nice for a gaming site to come out and do a REAL interview with SOEand ask the real questions we all want to know. I'm sure the next big site will someday. Utill then we have to put up with powder puff peices.