Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pirates of the Burning Sea: Producer’s Blog: Mission Tuning & Fixing

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Pirates of the Burning Sea Producer, John Scott Tynes, delivers yet another new Developer Journal to MMORPG.com. This time, John gives us a look at a Producer's Blog entry that was previously only available to players in the game's beta, now made public for everyone!

Pirates of the Burning Sea has been in beta since December of 2005. Our testers have seen a lot of changes and a lot of new features and content in that time. To keep them up to date on what's going on, we sometimes write dev logs that only our beta testers see. These appear in the beta forums and they enable us to discuss our work in detail for an audience that sees everything we produce.

I thought it would be fun to take one of those beta dev logs and put it up here on MMORPG.com. Some of it may be a little confusing, since it refers to some nitty-gritty gameplay stuff only beta testers know a lot about, but I bet you'll get a kick out of seeing how we communicate with our beta testers behind closed doors.

I also thought I'd give you something not even our beta testers have seen: some actual screenshots of our new boarding combat feature. This isn't in the beta yet because we're iterating the feature on a daily basis until it's ready for the beta, so enjoy these glimpses of a furious sword fight at sea!

Read the whole article here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• BountytakerBountytaker Member Posts: 323

The screenshots are nice...and I appreciate their attention to detail.  A mission difficulty slider is a great add-on...it worked wonders for CoH.

I have to wonder, though, how long ago this devlog was posted in the beta forums.  It certainly describes A LOT of work that needs to be done still.  I can't help but wonder if this is contributing to the possible delay of release (to after June).

• BelinikBelinik Member Posts: 6
    tbh it sounds like this devlog is ages old i could be wrong , but i got a weird feeling i read that devlog before , was going thru the devlogs at potbs but couldent see anything, lets just prey its old news otherwise it seems the whole said release in june is slipping badly
  • KoolaiderKoolaider Member Posts: 450
    Crack that whip!
  • noxisnoxis Member Posts: 7
    I am pretty sure its over a month old because another dev log from the main man Rusty "FLS Big Kahuna" here:

http://www.flyinglab.com/pirates/logs.php?log_select=9

Shows him saying how they are now in the polishing stage and between the lines basically says its good to go its just the distribution that *may* hold things up.
  • 0over00over0 Member UncommonPosts: 488

I love the inclusion of a difficulty slider, and that they are going back (or have gone back) over the missions to clean them up and get them working properly.

On the one hand, I'm very much looking forward to this game and, given the current state of MMOs for me, can't wait to play.

On the other hand, given the current state of MMOs for me, I want the game to be finished when it's launched with the team turning immediately toward new content and features--not still trying to fix a buggy release.

Apply lemon juice and candle flame here to reveal secret message.

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

All very nice changes.  Mission sliders are a good addition.

The ship-board screenshots are very nice too.  Looks like boarding actions could be a lot of fun.

• smartkidzsmartkidz Member Posts: 252
    WoW Flying Labs is an awesome group. Just compare all the work they are putting into this game to get it released nice and clean. And they listen to their customers. Then look at other companies. If SOE was the same Vanguard would be a greater game and SWG would be flourishing. Just my opinion anyway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    =The best bash.org quote ever=
    Curt teh Juggler: our graduation ceremony was today, and right when some gamer nerd got his diploma, someone in the audience played the zelda "get item" music and he did the zelda spin-hold-out-item stance
    Curt teh Juggler: it was quite possibly the most amazing thing ever.

• tkobotkobo Member Posts: 465
    All im going to say at this time is "Sometimes this dev team gives me positive reasons to smile"
  • bl1ndbl1nd Member Posts: 102

GOD LORD u ppl have to bring up the whole SOE/Star Wars thing in EVERY THREAD?

U even go to the off topic forum and even there guy talking about i dont know food and some guy finds a way to bring up the whole SOE thing

/Rant off

I really want this game to be all they promise it is going to be, im really in doubt that it is going to be that good as they wanna make us think but who knows

I just wish it is that good because it really is something different for the genre some fresh air...

• sololocosololoco Member Posts: 542
    All games should have a mission difficulty slider.  This would stop the boredom and time wasting task of finding a group and solo play would be there in case a group isn't.
  • flakesflakes Member Posts: 575

"polishing" really is their key word every time.I am kinda expecting now that halfway july we'll get the message that the "polishing" will take till december.But no stress they'll add something else ..they allways do when they "polish"  ....

• DrSmaShDrSmaSh Member UncommonPosts: 454
    Originally posted by bl1nd

GOD LORD u ppl have to bring up the whole SOE/Star Wars thing in EVERY THREAD?
    Yes.

Every time I read your post, I die a little inside...
  • pipetpipet Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by Bountytaker

can't help but wonder if this is contributing to the possible delay of release (to after June).

no this wasn't the delay it was that when they should have released it it just was ship vs ship combat but they new the this was i problem and they wanted to build it up a little bit so they camed up with the idea to have avatar combat so you could attack others on the dryland to and just don't on the ship.

tha hole delay is because they wanted avatar combar, simulation i have read this somewhere but i have forgotten the webadress