Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sword of the New World: Jon-Enee Merriex Dev Journal

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Jon-Enee Merriex, a Game Master for K2 Network's Sword of the New World, stops by to give us this developer journal highlighting the game's "Multi-Character Control" feature.

MCC allows a player to take control of three different characters at once. The player becomes responsible for leveling all three characters, including upgrading their skills, stances and equipment. MCC also delivers amazing gameplay variety. If you want to be a healer, you can do that. If you want to be a tank, you can do just that. If you want to become a damage dealer, you can do that, too. If you want to be more balanced with a little bit of everything, you have that opportunity as well.

The best part of MCC though has to be that no matter what, you are never really locked into any specific job or function. And, you don't have to spend tons of time or gold heading back to a class trainer to change your build. Instead. you can just head back to your family's quarters and change your characters. In internal testing, if there is a group of us and we're all playing on our solo builds, it usually takes less than a minute to determine what classes to bring and completely regroup for squad play.

Read the whole Developer Journal here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• godpuppetgodpuppet Member Posts: 1,416
    Interesting system, I can really see the pro's and fortunately the cons are few and far between. The only thing stopping me from wanting to play this game is the 'point n click' movement system, something I absolutely hate. My only querie would be, do you get the same loot if your with your MCC as you do if you were with 2 other players?

Wish I could say I would go and buy this game, nice ideas, hate the graphics style and pnc isnt for me. However im sure there are people here who will love these concepts.

---

• RehmesRehmes Member Posts: 600
    I beta tested it and its a very good game imo. If you particularly dislike point and click you have to realize that in this game WASD would be almost impossible. I heard that there is a trial though so you may at least want to check that out and then decide if youd like to go further. After all the monthly fee is only 8.99.
  • GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by godpuppet

Interesting system, I can really see the pro's and fortunately the cons are few and far between. The only thing stopping me from wanting to play this game is the 'point n click' movement system, something I absolutely hate. My only querie would be, do you get the same loot if your with your MCC as you do if you were with 2 other players?

Wish I could say I would go and buy this game, nice ideas, hate the graphics style and pnc isnt for me. However im sure there are people here who will love these concepts.
    Even though you don't like P&C, I still recommend you give the game a try (it has been confirmed there will be a free trial at launch). I know many P&C haters who now fully support P&C movement in SotNW:GE after playing the singapore closed beta. You play it like an RTS. it makes sense once you log in.
  • GalupaGalupa Member Posts: 203
    i'll try the free trial for sure, but i'd rather not pay a monthly fee for a game that people will just solo through. but who knows, it could turn out to be great. All hail free trials!

"The new age is upon us, yet the past refuses to rest in its shallow grave."

• boommer99boommer99 Member UncommonPosts: 309

Originally posted by Galupa

i'll try the free trial for sure, but i'd rather not pay a monthly fee for a game that people will just solo through. but who knows, it could turn out to be great. All hail free trials!
    Having played the SG beta, the idea that people just 'solo' through the game is quite faulty.  Monster's difficultly levels just like in Final Fantasy XI.  At about level 40 you will want to start partying with others to advance. 

To the poster who asked about squad loot.  Looting works pretty much the same way as WoW.  There are different loot modes and you can obtain loot in many different ways.

---
    Bartle Test Breakdown: Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 86.67%, Killer 26.67%, Socializer 66.67%

So, after reading this again I noticed that the first questions first paragraph is repeated twice...

---
    Bartle Test Breakdown: Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 86.67%, Killer 26.67%, Socializer 66.67%

• CiredricCiredric Member Posts: 723

Ah people, it is still K2, the most dispised gaming company of the face of the globe.

If you want to play this game, check out the Singapore version, you will rue giving K2 any credit card info.

Originally posted by Ciredric

Ah people, it is still K2, the most dispised gaming company of the face of the globe.
    If you want to play this game, check out the Singapore version, you will rue giving K2 any credit card info.

I keep hearing it and keep having to prove people wrong.

1. SOE is the most dispised mmo company and EA is the most dispised gaming company.

2. K2N has NEVER had an issue like Horizons had with payments.  Your statement insinuate that they have had a CC Fraud issue and that is untrue (even the BBB agrees on that).

3. I have played GMO for over 2 years now and have not had one issue that K2 was not running all over themselves to help me with.

4. Check their website: www.swordofthenewworld.com  The team on this game has really impressed me beyond what I previously thought of the game.

5. Play the SG version.  Enjoy your lagged PvP.  Ill play on the servers on my soil thank you very much.

---

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704
    I really hate the animish graphics but this game sounds so unique I'm going to have to give it a shot anyways.

And I dont buy into that 'youll hate the game just because its made by K2' crap.  Certain companies do have certain trends in their games but they continue to make games which indicates that at least somebody is enjoying their games, and although some people may feel alienated by the trends of a certain company doesnt mean I will.  For instance, everyone is always insulting SoEs customer support, but I've played plenty of SoE mmorpgs and I've never had troubles with it (although it always amused me how little english the CSRs knew).  People say that CCP is evil for what happened with EVE, but I thought they handled it great.  People say that EA games make cheap simplistic games, but I think they are fun and accomplish what the devs set out to do (even if I wouldnt pay for one).

The decisions that are made that typically make me angry at a mmo usually arent the sort of decisions that can be applied directly to the producer and expected to be repeated IMO.  Usually the choices presented to a games developer are very unique and ultimately the choice is made by different individuals from game to game or from year to year, so applying a choice a big company has made for another game in another year to a game they are making today is just too much I think.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

Originally posted by wormywyrm

The decisions that are made that typically make me angry at a mmo usually arent the sort of decisions that can be applied directly to the producer and expected to be repeated IMO.  Usually the choices presented to a games developer are very unique and ultimately the choice is made by different individuals from game to game or from year to year, so applying a choice a big company has made for another game in another year to a game they are making today is just too much I think.

Hmm... this is very true...

I hate to admit it, but after playing SWG, I swore I would never play another SOE game again.  The CS was the worst I had ever seen.  Then... EQ2 came out and just for my own geekdom I had to play.  Again their CS wasn't very helpful, but at least they were able to link me to where I could find anwsers and they were polite (which they had not been during the SWG situation). 

I just closed my Vanguard account, and while I don't like the game (Sigil's fault), I can definately say that their CS was MUCH improved.  One of their agents worked with me for an hour just trying to get the game to play right.  I had not anticipated that.  I recongize that as a LARGE amount of time.  And to be honest I appreciated it, because in the end... I just wanted to play the game.  I still canceled, but I can say their CS was much improved.

So, companies can and do change over time.

---

• rolsonrolson Member Posts: 36
    Sword of the New World is the Free Verison GE Is  The pay one,Just trying to get the conffusion out of the way also,GE Well be Ver.2 i think and Sword of the New World will be the v.1 (Correct me if im wrong here)
  • GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by wormywyrm

I really hate the animish graphics but this game sounds so unique I'm going to have to give it a shot anyways.

And I dont buy into that 'youll hate the game just because its made by K2' crap.  Certain companies do have certain trends in their games but they continue to make games which indicates that at least somebody is enjoying their games, and although some people may feel alienated by the trends of a certain company doesnt mean I will.  For instance, everyone is always insulting SoEs customer support, but I've played plenty of SoE mmorpgs and I've never had troubles with it (although it always amused me how little english the CSRs knew).  People say that CCP is evil for what happened with EVE, but I thought they handled it great.  People say that EA games make cheap simplistic games, but I think they are fun and accomplish what the devs set out to do (even if I wouldnt pay for one).

uhh..Anime? Those aren't anime graphics.

Anime:

Sword of the New World:Granado Espada

This is what anime graphics look like:

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704
    Glad to hear you agree boommer   I was really upset with the CU and NGE in SWG as well (er if that is the reason you swore SoE off ) and I'll never forget about what happened to SWG   

Gameloading, I'm sure theres lots of finer distinctions between modern Japanese cartooning but the graphics in Sword of the New World certainly remind me of all things anime. 

Maybe it would be good for me to enjoy this game, as anime has become so popular these days I really should accept and find a way to enjoy it.

The second screenshot looked more like chibi art doesnt it?  Thats a sort of sub type of anime I think; actually I think chibis are cute I've seen some funny comics drawn with chibis.

I think the thing that makes me relate sword of the new world to anime is the characters hair, nose and maybe the coloring/gradient/use of bloom on characters.  I have to admit though the more screenshots I look at the less anime-ish the games graphics seem to be

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

Originally posted by rolson

Sword of the New World is the Free Verison GE Is  The pay one,Just trying to get the conffusion out of the way also,GE Well be Ver.2 i think and Sword of the New World will be the v.1 (Correct me if im wrong here)
    NO K2 Network has been very clear, Sword will have the 2.0 client at launch.  It will also be updated with stuff that the SG version will not have (what that is we don't really know).

---

• GheariGheari Member Posts: 2
    Okay here I am, the new guy, and I must say that you people don't know the difference between anime and CGI, 2D vs 3D. These two animation styles are in different worlds, one is physical and the other is computer generated. IT ISN'T ANIME!!! Anime usually, while not always has several unrealistic characteristics. Pointy noses, spindly bodies and HUGE FRICKIN EYES happen to be common traits.

I really have to say that SoTNW has some of the best graphics i've ever seen in an MMO. K2 may be hated, but maybe they actually made a game that will redeem them, huh, huh? Give things a chance before you FLAME IT!!!! I know i yell.... I think you all want to.
  • GuNbUnNy3GuNbUnNy3 Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by rolson

*COUGH*COUGH*

SotNW IS P2P!!!!

sgGE is still debating wether it should go f2p or p2p!!!!
  • blueking13blueking13 Member Posts: 17
    This game look very cool. I'm very excited to wait for a game like this for a really long time. Very intressting Battle System... and very funny graphic and i think it rocks...
  • mf_ravenmf_raven Member Posts: 48

hmm, game alone looks interesting, but im curious... is this the same K2 network, that hosts Knight Online ?