Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supplimental Information for Force of Arms

Hamilton-NEOHamilton-NEO Member Posts: 75
Overview and Features:

Force of Arms is a story you truly write with your own actions, and with

the actions of your friends. By being a hero, an oppressor, a survivor,

or an adventurer in a Sci-Fi universe where the story is constantly

unfolding before you, you can help to dictate the outcome of corporate

land battles fought by Mechanized Armor. In the distant future you are

immersed in, governments have fallen to the financial dominance of the

Corporates, massive institutions that control the destiny of people

through manipulation of unimaginable power and wealth. Inexplicably,

the ability to achieve faster than light travel has ceased to function,

and you must find out why.

Since the death of governmentalism and the loss of FTL travel, humanity

has been beaten down by endless corporate clashes and human greed. The

will to survive and dominate ran deep, and as a result, civilization

now lies in ruins, spread amongst the depleted planets of known space.

Masses of humanity, clinging to the last shred of hope, searching

desperately for Genesis: the rebirth of the ability to travel the

stars. At the darkest moment of the final hour, a discovery will be

made that will forever change the course of human history and return

humanity, once thought lost forever, to the stars.

Thus begins this feudal saga as man and machine arise to rebuild

civilization in your image. Your actions will dictate the reemergence

of civilization through the Genesis files. Do you have what it takes?

Choose a corporate ally to further your existence and join their Mech

Fighting Forces to defend your corporate flag, or explore the universe

harvesting resources! You are in control of your future, writing not

only your own story, but affecting the story of others. Be careful, for

while the universe is vast, your existence is limited. As you may write

entire chapters of lore with your valiant efforts, you can most

certainly be destroyed. But fear not, and always live large! Everyone

is watching, waiting, hoping. If you make a significant contribution to

the destiny of all mankind, you will surely be rewarded with

immortality.

Be a mercenary, a hero, a crusader, or a dog. This is your story and

your life. Use the time wisely.

Features

- Mech based game system

- One huge 3,998km squared game world at 1:1 scale, which will change

over time due to terra-forming efforts, as our initial world offering.

- Dynamic political boundaries

- Cinematic realism

- Extremely long range targeting and engagement

- Sophisticated game play

- 3D tactical combat

- Various levels of technology

- Customizable and player created Mechs

- Creative User Interface

- Using a complex construction system for fighting units.

- Solo play is possible

- Heavy reliance on tactics and strategy

- Using the HERO System for the role-playing aspect and for the combat

system.

- Open Skill Based system with no professions or class limitations.

- Characters start out as capable adults rather than of being an adult

with the skills of an infant.

- Dynamic Story Arc that the actions of players have impact, with

weekly to monthly episodes.

- Space travel and discovery is featured

- Group and guild organization and ranking built in

- Built-in squad command tools and features

- Player rankings by reputation, fame and fortune.

- Impressive rewards for impressive performance

- Quarterly epic battles.

- A game system that will be evolving during its life-span.

- One server cluster

- Part of The Multiverse Network

Sign off,
Hamilton

Comments

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Thats a very comprehensive list you have there BUT I still have questions.

You have a great deal of info on the mech/warfare but is the game similar to EVE in the sense that you play strictly a vehicle or are there going to be avatars?

You mention the hero engion for rp aspects....like what sort of rp aspects? Again, will this tie into an avatar? 

Also you mention space travel and discovery. How so??? I am guessing that there will eventually be more then one planet? How about other races?  

• airborne519airborne519 Member Posts: 542
    Interesting... I will be watching this one closely.. I don't want to get excited too quickly... but damn, I can't help it.  So far, nicely planned out.

• Hamilton-NEOHamilton-NEO Member Posts: 75

Thanks for the interests!

"Thats a very comprehensive list you have there BUT I still have questions."

Thanks!

"You have a great deal of info on the mech/warfare but is the game similar to EVE in the sense that you play strictly a vehicle or are there going to be avatars?"

Only in the initial stages will Force of Arms be strictly of Mechs and vehicles.  We will roll in human avatars and then at that point and onward, the game camera will be at the character's eyes.  Thus when inside of a Mech, the view will be what the character sees, cockpit obstructions, controls, etc.

The reasons for this, is that there is only so much that can be done by a small team in a given time frame.  Additionally, in stead of waiting three to five years of development and then going live with all these bugs; we're going by a phased approached.  Releasing in stages so that we can concertrate on particular items, to keep the bugs down and keep the players interested.  The pricing will be reflected by what is available.  Doesn't make sense to charge $15/month when all the game is a Mech vs Mech tactical game.  Also players do get annoyed at when prices do go up and there is little rewards for customer loyalty.  So to help promote customer loyalty, whatever the rate was during the account creation, is what the rate will be fixed that account.

"You mention the hero engion for rp aspects....like what sort of rp aspects? Again, will this tie into an avatar? "

Yes, the Role-Playing element will be tied in with avatars.  The HERO System is not an engine, but a RPG system that has been around for more than 20 years.  It is sophesticated, flexible and a proven design.  More can be found at www.herogames.com.

"Also you mention space travel and discovery. How so??? I am guessing that there will eventually be more then one planet? How about other races? "

Future plans do include implementing many star systems and planets with multiple alien races.  When that happens depends on when the players rediscover FTL.

Sign off,
    Hamilton

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Originally posted by Hamilton-WDS

"Also you mention space travel and discovery. How so??? I am guessing that there will eventually be more then one planet? How about other races? "
    Future plans do include implementing many star systems and planets with multiple alien races.  When that happens depends on when the players rediscover FTL.

Just discovering it now, thanks for the information, looks to be a refreshing approach to playing in this genre.

Sign off,
    Hamilton

• TCoopsTCoops Member Posts: 6

Wait wait wait wait... a couple of vital aspects aren't fully explained. I am getting the impression that this game is NOT a grind fest, level based, click and watch to attack. It also looks more like a simulator than a turn based table top strategy game.

Could you please explain this further? I mean the actual core gameplay? The meat and potatoes.

Yes I have been reading about this game but I am still in disbelief. It has been many a year since a REAL game was produced. Where people rely on their own skills and wit, instead of paper and dice statistics at the core (which people are growing tired). Infact I've rarely seen a game which combines simulator/action elements with a persistent universe/role play setting. A couple come close (and im sure some forum members will remind me) but they are still annoyingly RPG'ish; IE- contain ways of 'levelling up' your character or ship so that time in game is rewarded, not innovation or skill. For the military strategist or pilot at heart, we live for games like this.

So can I get some more info on what the gameplay will be like? I am trying to avoid using "mechwarrior" comparisons but I cant help it. Will be be treated like adults and have to pilot the 'mech right down to the aiming recticle? With modelled gunfire/leading/trajectory ect? Or treated like mainstream kiddies and have a 'click enemy to attack' system or a basic aim and click system (like Neocron for example), and basically have the winner determined by your avatar's statistics?

If it's the former, holy f****ng ch**st. About time. Sign me up in the first wave of alpha. I'm paying!

Correct you are, no grind fest*, no levels, no click and watch or click to move here/there.  Yes, more towards the simulation and old school method of RPG.  The link below is a character sheet from the HERO System and hopefully will provide the idea of what to expect.  If you don't know the terms or it looks complicated, don't worry, it will either be explained (player guides, the community, tutorials) or in some cases transparent to the user.

Link (pdf file, best to right click and save):

www.herogames.com/get/H5E-3-column.pdf

Also, if you get  a chance or have time, take a look at the site, of Hero Games.

Mech Combat is going to be sophisticated, it is to be a thinking game, not an arcade one.  By thinking, I mean to actually know how to use your Mech to its full capabilities, use weapon ranges correctly (kilometers), and use tactics (firing arcs and terrain).  The link below is a Mech Specification Data Sheet and it may be confusing.  Due to not providing explaining the details (it is just a technical sheet).  Again don't worry, it is just to show the level of detail to expect.

Link of the Big Foot (pdf file, best to right click and save):

www.forceofarms.com/foa_v1/images/pdfs/big_foot_mbm.pdf

We're not looking at the mass market with Force of Arms, and do understand that not everyone will like this game due to its complexity (as compared to other MMO's on the market).

I hope that this is to your liking.

* Well unfortunately there is always some kind of grind in place, for example, grinding missions to get more money for a better Mech, or grinding one's reputation.  Even daily real life has the grind of work...  But the goal is to minimize the routine numbness of experience grinding.

Sign off,
    Hamilton