Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scions of Fate (Yulgang): Review

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Adele Caelia pens this critical review of Netgame USA's Scions of Fate.

Scions of Fate, the game formerly known as Yulgang: Balance of Power is one of the most played games in Asia. It has won many awards and was recognized as the best MMORPG of the year in Korea. Hoping to reach a broader audience and the same success Netgame recently released a U.S. version.

As I browsed through screenshots while waiting for the game to download I felt the little girl in me squeal with glee. The graphics weren't revolutionary but they were cute and the characters could even be called adorable. The graphics have the cartoony anime look of most Asian games, and there are tons of color options for hair and also some really cute outfits. I was a bit disappointed to see that many of the character creation options are not yet available, but that looks like it will soon change. The only options at this point are the four classes of swordsman, spearman, bowmen, and healer. The graphics are decent enough for a game that is free to play and free to download.

Read the whole review here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• allaryinallaryin Member Posts: 2
    Your review makes it sound like you're not very familiar with the whole Korean click-to-move + micropayment sub-genre. They're all like that.

Scions of Fate is no better or worse than most. I rate it a 5 - below games like 9 Dragons and Hero Online... but above garbage like Deicide Online, RAN, and Conquer Online.

It's mostly just a case of how much actual content and writing the designers put into the game to supplement their flavour of grindfest. SoF looks just like any other Ragnarok Online clone with all of the content removed and a fresh (but low-budget) coat of paint slapped on.
  • GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    "This is where the company makes it's money, and while people spend money on some pretty strange items, I have a hard time seeing Americans handing over this kind of cash for these items, especially when they can play another mmo for $15.00 a month and get these items for free."

Come on, think for a moment. more and more companies start using this payment model, ofcourse they are profitable. if the 15$ a month tag would be more profitable, then companies would use that. this is simply the new norm among asian mmorpg's.

This review is better then Adele's last review in some points, and worse in some other points.

The good points are that she doesn't slam other games this time.

She doesn't make comments like "This is the best mmorpg out there" either. Although she obviously had a bad experience with the game, I'm glad she didn't make a "this is the worst mmorpg out there" comment.

Now for the bad points.

I read the review, and after reading it I still know close to nothing of the game at all (if it wasn't for the fact I played it).

For example, you mention there are very few quests, thats all fine and all, but what are those quests like? do they have a story involved in it? Do the quest show me the world?

And what about combat? Is there content for grouping? Is the game solo friendly? does it make use of instanced technology? Is there PVP? How about customization of characters, such as stats and skills? (other then the looks)

I have played the game myself, so I know the answers to this, but I can imagine someone who didn't play the game isn't going to find this review helpful.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Gameloading

I have played the game myself, so I know the answers to this, but I can imagine someone who didn't play the game isn't going to find this review helpful.
    So how about it? Fill in some of the holes you mentioned.  Truthfully, regardless of the answers there were enough negatives regarding the community and what not to make me not try the game.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674

I agree about reading about the community. I am so glad I have not tried this and I will not. I am going to stay away from this game.

• eburneburn Member Posts: 740
    What's bad about Scions? Well it is a Korean grind point to click uber cute MMO with some oddness.

What's good about it? It's free and if you got a couple of pals you like to just smash and chat with, totally worth being free. LoL

This review has one error in it. You cannot tab to target anything in the game, which I hope they change. But once you click on something a mob or loot or an NPC for that matter. A middle mouse click will attack, pick up, or talk to the person. Double clicking right on the center is false and makes it sound worse than it really is.

Would I suggest this game for the masses? Not at all. But if you're playing a game that's down a lot or waiting on a MMO (like Age of Conan? HMM?) Got some pals doing the same, give it a go.

Also on World 2 I've ran into some of the community issues, but I have also seen the complete opposite. Like all MMOs, it's filled with kids, ****faces, and inconsiderate fools. It's pretty easy to look over, just go to your local Wal-Mart. Same deal.

I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.

• FireburstFireburst Member UncommonPosts: 200
    I think Adele has got this game pretty much nailed. I gave it a try for a couple of days and got fed up with it's community pretty fast.
  • AckbarAckbar Member UncommonPosts: 927
    Garrett Fuller take notes from this review. Its actually good. Could the person who reviewed Scions of Fate (I missed your name) please get Garretts Dreamlords account and do a real review of that game?

Thanks.

----ITS A TRAP!!!----

• MidavegMidaveg Member Posts: 296
    Free to Play MMO, Scions of Fate is AAA to that but compare to general MMO industry, its crap and for casual fun. The community is extremely polluted with LOL spammers and emotes spammers too. 100% agreed on some points in the review.

All canceled. Waiting on Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning.

• CitronCitron Member Posts: 41

I downloaded and tried this game myself. It sucked as bad as all other Asian mmorpg's. I just don't understand what those people are thinking over there... wait... "MUST FARM GOLD".

• infrared1infrared1 Member UncommonPosts: 440
    I agree with the review. Scions of fate is not a game for the light-hearted. 0 community and its just a grind-fest. I have tried a few of these Korean MMO's.  The only one i've found to have a community is Flyff. Mayby you could do a review on Flyff. I'd be interested to see what you think.
  • GoddyfatherGoddyfather Member Posts: 239
    Tryed this and i must agree heavily on that review, dont touch this game.
  • abistarabistar Member UncommonPosts: 92
    I agree too, garbage.
  • ColdmeatColdmeat Member UncommonPosts: 3,407

While I agree, it's crap, even for a F2P ported Asian game, there were two things from the review that I disagreed with.

1) Targeting. I never had any issues with double clicking the mobs. Sometimes, if the mob was moving, I'd just follow it, without attacking, until it stopped moving, but never had to click the exact center of the mob.

2) When I played as a Spear user, I was stuck with a male character, and when I tried a Bow user, I was stuck with a female character. Or at least I believe it was female. Hard to tell sometimes, but it didn't have the spike male hair the Spear and Swords users did.

• DathmarDathmar Member Posts: 11
    I personally agree with the targeting issue.

Also the mobs have no "Con" window as far as I can see - so you don't know if you have selected the correct mob or not.

Also the issue of players crowding the NPCs is something I noticed.

I have tried a few free to play games and I find it amazing the extremes some players go to trick other players out of in-game cash. ...and as its F2P - I assume there isn't too much GM support to stop them.
  • DathmarDathmar Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by Ackbar

Garrett Fuller take notes from this review. Its actually good. Could the person who reviewed Scions of Fate (I missed your name) please get Garretts Dreamlords account and do a real review of that game?

Thanks.
    Lol - I just read that Dreamlords review - I have to agree
  • DienekesDienekes Member Posts: 484
    Originally posted by infrared1

I agree with the review. Scions of fate is not a game for the light-hearted. 0 community and its just a grind-fest. I have tried a few of these Korean MMO's.  The only one i've found to have a community is Flyff. Mayby you could do a review on Flyff. I'd be interested to see what you think.
    I agree with what he said above, Flyff is the only free to play Korean MMO that is actually fun to play and has a community.  I'd definitely be insterested in a Flyff review.
  • AriocArioc Member Posts: 299

At what point did it become the hotness to review the review and it's reviewer? I've been seeing alot of that on this site and almost never on other sites. (Or maybe I just don't look hard enough). Is this a common thing now?

Arioc Murkwood
    Environment Artist
    Sad but true.

• LearyLeary Member Posts: 49
    She was spot on about a ton of things!

First being the community: worst damn community ever! No one hardly says a word, and when they do, it is usually in another language. Even when it is in English, it is usually just some rude comments akin to all free-to-play MMO's. Also, everyone crowding the NPC's that you need to talk to to do the FEW quests that you do have access to, is VERY annoying! As a matter of fact, as soon as you login, if you logged out in the city areas, you'll have to wait for a bit for the ridiculous amounts of people to load so you can find a small hole to click in to move. Doers anyone actually go out and play the game, or just stand around selling their crap?

The combat is annoying, too. You have to be pretty close to the mob to click on it to initiate the fight. This is, however, a minor quibble, and I can overlook it. As the reviewer said, however, people standing on top of your dropped gems is commonplace, and of the uttermost annoyance! Also, kill-stealing is the name of the game in this one. Good luck with that, though!

Moreover, enjoy the few combat skills you have, because it is going to be a looooooooooooooong grind until you get more skills open to you!

I disagree with her on the music issue, however. While repetitive, I did enjoy the different style of music in the game--it has smooth ambient overtones, akin to ambient techno which I so enjoy listening to.

The graphics are cartoony and anime-esque and get the job done. They are pleasant to look at and pretty good overall--especially if you turn up the contrast. I have no problems with the graphics in this game--so long as you aren't expecting something taxing on your card.

I play this game off and on when I just want a change of pace. Hell, it's free, so why not?! But as for a free Korean MMO that has it all in spades--and even rivals and surpasses many pay-to-play MMOs--look no further than Rappelz.
  • CiredricCiredric Member Posts: 723

I have to agree with the reviewer, it is extremely typical of the korean MMO's. 

the 2nd time they piled on my loot when something nice dropped I left the game, lol.  What nonsense.  From now on any click and move will be completely avoided by me.

The game reminds me alot of Last Chaos, except at least Last Chaos has somewhat of a community and has better customer service. 

I echo the thought that Garret needs to take a review lesson from you.

Gameloading if you want all those details, why not add them yourself instead of whining about it!

• NewbKingNewbKing Member Posts: 45
    And I was about to try this game. Now once I read this review, I'm not even going to touch this game anymore. Thanks for saving me some time.
  • SuplyndmndSuplyndmnd Member Posts: 553
    I agree with the review as a whole in that this game is utter garbage but I never had too much problems with the targeting issue.  Also, there is a keyboard shortcut that will make you move to, and pick up any item near you which would be your drop.  Therefore, no need to click.  Also, there is a keyboard shortcut for attacking.

Still, you nail everything else as far as the community is concerned and frankly, that's what makes MMORPG's.  Or in this case, breaks them.  The game was fun for about 5 hours and then I got rid of it.  If you like nothing but grind, get this game.  If you actually require a storyline or quests or skills or a community, pass.

EVE - Sharvala
    FFXI - Shazamalicious
    Guild Wars - Xavier Lucifer & Charlize the Necro
    "Ranged...stuck...tree...15 random words... suck... noob fanboy... I MAKE GUIDE!"

Originally posted by Arioc

At what point did it become the hotness to review the review and it's reviewer? I've been seeing alot of that on this site and almost never on other sites. (Or maybe I just don't look hard enough). Is this a common thing now?
    I think its important for all with experience on certain game to chime in. It helps people who may be considering to play a game, a chance to see what the review says and how the community reacts to it. I personally use this site and appreciate everyones input. It helps me decide whether to try it or not. One persons POV does not make it true or correct for that matter. I don't believe anyone here is reviewing the reviewer. Just their agreement or disagreement with the review itself. Some people may like the game and want to chime in with their POV. So let it go. The info here may save your life someday. lol. Try the game and give us your feedback. WE would appreciate it.
    Originally posted by NewbKing

And I was about to try this game. Now once I rad this review, I'm not even going to touch this game anymore. Thanks for saving me some time.
    SEE!!!!!
  • GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by Ciredric

I have to agree with the reviewer, it is extremely typical of the korean MMO's. 
    the 2nd time they piled on my loot when something nice dropped I left the game, lol.  What nonsense.  From now on any click and move will be completely avoided by me.
    The game reminds me alot of Last Chaos, except at least Last Chaos has somewhat of a community and has better customer service. 
    I echo the thought that Garret needs to take a review lesson from you.
    Gameloading if you want all those details, why not add them yourself instead of whining about it!
    Sure, Pay me the salary of the reviewer and I'll add them. I mean, really, who is the reviewer here? Me or Adele? Why should I have to make up for the reviewers lack of information?

But seriously, if you insist, I can write a SoF review. I'm currently working on a review of 9Dragons. If you want, I'll write a SoF review after that.
  • LittleImpLittleImp Member Posts: 10

I have no idea how asian people can play this game longer than 30mins without dying of pure dumbness.

This game is really bad.

Don't play it!