Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic MMORPG?

XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
Has anyone else heard anything about this? Any information or links to more information would be appreciated.

Comments

• BattleshipBattleship Member Posts: 62

SW KOTOR is an excellent desktop game, not a mmorpg. 
  • XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    They are making a KotOR MMORPG. Just looking for more information on it.

Ahhh, well that would be great if its true. I just hope SOE doesn't have anything to do with it!
  • GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Its not true, they are not making a SW:KOTOR MMORPG. its just a silly rumor.
  • KayekiKayeki Member Posts: 1

The only thing I've heard is that Bioware recently revealed their MMORPG studio and currently have an MMORPG in development.

The title of the MMORPG has to my knowledge not yet been revealed although some people speculate it's Kotor or some other successful Bioware game.

Doesn't SOE own all rights to create Star Wars MMORPGs?

• KoolaiderKoolaider Member Posts: 450
    It would be nice to have a fresh Star Wars MMO. I would be happy just to have KOTOR 3 for the x-box.
  • DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

This rumour is about... 2 years old? It started because BioWare [Makers of KotOR] started an Austin Texas group who have been at work on a 'top secret' mmorpg for several years now but VERY LITTLE has been released about it.  Now, that alone didn't spark the rumor.  What DID, was that BioWare also bought Pandemic, a company that made several action star wars games.  THEN, several employee's of SOE left the Star Wars Galaxies team, and joined up with the Austing BioWare team. 

All of this is mighty suspicious and I would really love it if a truly next generation MMORPG was being crafted by the capable people of BioWare - but ... it's all speculation for now.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Originally posted by Kayeki

Doesn't SOE own all rights to create Star Wars MMORPGs?

Hmmm no Lucas Arts owns all rights to Star Wars. I think they only liscensed SOE the rights to produce SWGalaxies mmorpg. If I remember correctly, in the beginning LA was also a part of SWG, but later pulled out. Correct me if I'm wrong about this because my memory is a little fuzzy.
    To be honest I'm not sure Battleship but I've heard a lot about this being the last year for SOE's SWG contract or something.  Apparently it's renewed every so often.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

• desnowdesnow Member Posts: 390
    Originally posted by DeaconX

To be honest I'm not sure Battleship but I've heard a lot about this being the last year for SOE's SWG contract or something.  Apparently it's renewed every so often.
    The contract, no matter if it was just licensing or more, most likely includes some clause that LucasArts can't allow another company to create a product f direct competition until the contract is over. So as long as SWG is still around do expect another Star Wars MMO. Now that I think about it that may be why SOE isn't killing it off. They bought Vangaurd to cover their bet and may be keeping SWG alive to prevent direct competition for as long as they can.
    Originally posted by desnow

The contract, no matter if it was just licensing or more, most likely includes some clause that LucasArts can't allow another company to create a product f direct competition until the contract is over. So as long as SWG is still around do expect another Star Wars MMO. Now that I think about it that may be why SOE isn't killing it off. They bought Vangaurd to cover their bet and may be keeping SWG alive to prevent direct competition for as long as they can.Sounds a bit like avoiding the enevitable, doesn't it?

Sounds a bit like avoiding the enevitable, doesn't it?

Buying time to renegotiate or create demo products to keep a contract is not necessarily a bad idea at times. SOE has done some really stupid things with their products, but they are really good at raking in a profit. If they think they can get the next Star Wars MMO if they have enough time then buying themselves as long as possible would be the smart thing to do financially.
  • CerionCerion Member Posts: 1,005

My understanding as well is that SOE's license had recently come up for renewal.  It is not improbable that any exclusivity clause SOE might have held would be renegotiated.

*best Darth Vader voice* "Pray I do not alter [the plan] further."

SWG is clearly under-performing for the license.  Not to mention, the Star Wars universe is probably broad enough to support two concurrent MMOs.  If I were CEO of Lucas Arts, I'd see no reason to limit the licensing to just SOE (once any contractual agreements were met, of course).

As for BioWare developing KotOR as an MMO -- That is guaranteed bank.  I cannot fathom why they would turn away from a sure money making endeavor (unless LA is just that unbearable to work with).

Games I'm watching: Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Force of Arms.

Find the Truth: http://www.factcheck.org/

Well Said.  Anyone remember when LA was highly respected and we'd all wait salivatingly for our next dose of games from them? *sigh* I miss those good ol days and I'm not even old : - still, I don't know if it will be KotOR MMORPG and honestly if it isn't I won't mind... so long as it's Star Wars cuz I'm dayin for a quality option.  Though, using the KotOR branding it would greatly increase awareness and hype due to the established fanbase, but hey, know of a fanbase bigger than 'Star Wars' itself? Religions don't count....

Originally posted by Cerion
    SWG is clearly under-performing for the license.  Not to mention, the Star Wars universe is probably broad enough to support two concurrent MMOs.  If I were CEO of Lucas Arts, I'd see no reason to limit the licensing to just SOE (once any contractual agreements were met, of course).
    As for BioWare developing KotOR as an MMO -- That is guaranteed bank.  I cannot fathom why they would turn away from a sure money making endeavor (unless LA is just that unbearable to work with).

SWG is not doing well at all, but realize when it was under production SOE was the flat out king of the western MMO market. A company leadingthe market would not enter into a contract which allowed competition using a licensed IP. That would just be stupid. You make money by being the exclusive with an IP. LA might be regretting that whole situation now, but you don't plan on a project failing and giving room for competition to flurish.

As far as KOTOR as an MMO, well KOTOR 1 was great but two not so much. I'd prefer a new original IP personally. I put $30 down on Mass Effect today and very excited about it, but I don't want to see that as an MMO either. Offline games rarely translate well online directly. FFXI worked because each FF games is completely separate from the last (not counting X-2 and the FF7 spin offs) so there is no direct storyline. PSO only worked because it was a good game. Long time players of the master system games often complained about the storyline, but most of the players were new to the series so it was rarely heard.

• skiziskizi Member Posts: 120
    Also don't forget that Bioware was not the company that made KOTOR 2. They stated somewhere on their site that they will never work with LA ever again, but I honestly don't believe them.

KOTOR online would be amazing, especially if it's done by Bioware, but like other posters stated, it's not happening until LA rips up their contract with SOE. Until then I'll continue to support the company(can't say the name on these forums) that is made by players, and one day enjoy pre-CU again.

Waiting for:
    AoC // WAR // Darkfall