Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallen Earth: Interview with Lee Hammock

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Lee Hammock, the Lead Game Designer on the upcoming post-apocalyptic MMORPG Fallen Earth, sits down to answer Garrett Fuller's questions.

MMORPG.com:

With all the fantasy MMOs that are out, you have a unique genre on your hands. Give us some insight into the world of Fallen Earth.

Lee Hammock:

Fallen Earth is set in 2156, one hundred years after the world is brought low by a plague known as Shiva that killed 99% of the population. The game takes place in and around the Grand Canyon, one of the few habitable places left on Earth, which makes it a place many are willing to kill to control. Our world is one where mankind teeters on the edge of extinction, clinging to the bones of the old world while trying to recover their lost secrets. It's a world of scavengers and desperation. The players are those who choose to rise above the hardships of this new world and work towards a better world, or decide the old world was corrupt and all signs of it must be erased completely.

You can read the whole article here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615
    Sounds hot.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• UgottawantitUgottawantit Member Posts: 146
    Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

Sounds hot.

Looks Not!

I hate to be one of the nay sayers, but I just couldn't resist on this one. Ugh! Looks like Mel Gibson mated with a teenage mutant nija turtle game.

• SarumaSaruma Member Posts: 8
    Sounds interesting.  Though I wonder if they had an agreement not to mention Fallout or Wasteland in the interview.  Because it is going to be hard to avoid comparisons to those games (well, Fallout at least as I bet most people don't even know about Wasteland, the best game of the 1980s).
  • korvasskorvass Member Posts: 616
    Graphics wise, it looks plenty hot to me. From the videos, the animation looks decent enough as well.

I hope (in vain) that people won't continue the vein of comparing FE to Fallout as this game comes closer to release. It ain't like Fallout was the first post-apocalyptic game ever; they didn't invent it. Let's perhaps instead let this game stand on it's own merits.

I for one am looking forward to it.
  • UrsalUrsal Member Posts: 4
    I think It could be good. I like to see developers go this route for game setting. I hope they can pull it off. I would like to see something based more towards gamma world.
  • MordacaiMordacai Member Posts: 309
    The graphics may not even be fully completed either, they are still in testing. They also may be going the wow route of lesser quality characters in favor of the fps mode to allow for more on screen drawing of environment and other characters. Still alot to see yet from this team and this game, I look forward to it ever since 1st hearing about it over a year or so ago. They've come along way since the 1st newsletter.
  • Devildog1Devildog1 Member Posts: 494
    From the clips I've seen this game looks pretty cool and something different! I for one can't wait till it comes out!
  • Arson1cArson1c Member Posts: 21
    I love how MMORPG.com is putting out some great info on this website for those of us who dying to get our hands on a new MMOFPS, I'm really excited about this game and I can't wait to hear more news about it.  You guys have to give them a chance, you never know, this game could become a hit.
  • cupertinocupertino Member Posts: 1,094
    Nothing but Vaporware.

• KazzerKazzer Member Posts: 648
    Im abit confused about this game, looks like a 1 player game... but in some ways it looks like exacly what im looking for, hope it release soon
  • daadamodaadamo Member UncommonPosts: 135

Just take a look at the developer  vids on YouTube   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG1N2xeZxTU

The game looks great.  I think they are way too far along to be considered vaporware. I like the setting, I like the idea of it incorporating FPS as well. The characterization looks very good. I will definately keep an eye on it's developement.

• mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367

I was thinking about Fallout and how cool this would be until "You are using a FPS system..."

Sorry, no interest.

• wilcoxonwilcoxon Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Interesting setting.  I still have high hopes for the game even though I generally hate FPS.  Hopefully it's not a pure FPS system as player twitch skills do not a fun MMO make.

Active: D&D Online (alpha,beta,&unlimited)

Retired: Anarchy Online, Archlord (beta), Auto Assault (beta), CoH/CoV, Dark Age of Camelot, Dungeon Runners, Elder Scrolls Online, Everquest, EVE, Guild Wars, Lord of the Rings Online (beta,live), Pathfinder Online (beta), Rift (beta,live), Secret World (beta,live), Star Wars Old Republic, Vanguard (beta), Warhammer (beta,live), World of Warcraft

• z80paranoiaz80paranoia Member Posts: 410
    Originally posted by daadamo

Just take a look at the developer  vids on YouTube   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG1N2xeZxTU
    The game looks great.  I think they are way too far along to be considered vaporware. I like the setting, I like the idea of it incorporating FPS as well. The characterization looks very good. I will definately keep an eye on it's developement.
    that link was extremely informative

Guild Wars 2 is my religion

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    I'm all for games that try something different... but this is not my cup of tea... If you're going to do a post apacoylpse... use Phatom Dust... that'd be cool...

• 0over00over0 Member UncommonPosts: 488

Will be interesting to see how this develops. I'm all for any game that's not swords and sorcery and tries even a little to move away from pure levels (that is, levels with skill points is fine with me).

I'm much more interested in playing in a niche game with a strong community than a behemoth with no community.

Apply lemon juice and candle flame here to reveal secret message.

• Darkz0rDarkz0r Member Posts: 78
    Wow, didn't know about this game till today.

It does look interesting...will put it on the list. =D
  • smartkidzsmartkidz Member Posts: 252
    From the interview itself~~~

"External testing has become a tricky business in recent years and ended up being more of a marketing gimmick than an actual process. People, including media, tend to prematurely judge your product based on your testing states. We are about results more than hype."

They speak the truth with those lines. That is exactly what it has become.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    =The best bash.org quote ever=
    Curt teh Juggler: our graduation ceremony was today, and right when some gamer nerd got his diploma, someone in the audience played the zelda "get item" music and he did the zelda spin-hold-out-item stance
    Curt teh Juggler: it was quite possibly the most amazing thing ever.

• JPatteriJPatteri Member Posts: 12

http://forums.fallenearth.com/fallenearth/forumdisplay.php?f=18

Questions answered about the various aspects of the game

• RattrapRattrap Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,599
    If this game pans out - like it should have (vids allready look awsome) - it will be top MMO for sure.

Even right now it is way more 3rd gen than any other MMO existing or in development!

Go go! Fallen Earth!

"Before this battle is over all the world will know that few...stood against many." - King Leonidas

• GrauhaarGrauhaar Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by Saruma

Sounds interesting.  Though I wonder if they had an agreement not to mention Fallout or Wasteland in the interview.  Because it is going to be hard to avoid comparisons to those games (well, Fallout at least as I bet most people don't even know about Wasteland, the best game of the 1980s).
    Yeah. Also a comparison to Neocron would shed some more light on that FPS system of Fallen Earth. If it's better than that of Neocron, the game must be awful. And if there are no more class restrictions, it's definitely a game for me ( and also of course because I don't have to deal with Orcs and Elfs ).
  • Greek_MattGreek_Matt Member Posts: 354
    Originally posted by cupertino

Nothing but Vaporware.

Y'know, there's no prizes for bein' the first to cry "vape"... especially when you don't actually know anything about the game. There's been some real promising coverage at both AGC in Austin last September and then at the San Fran GDC last month. This game's not going to have anything solid to show for a long time yet, it's still in fairly early development, but it's certainly worth keeping an eye on.

See, you can have an MMO without Elves and Wizards...

• IainatorIainator Member Posts: 55

Hmm, interesting. I had no idea about this game before I read this article. Needless to say, it looks interesting enough... Post Apoc MMO? Why not. I wonder how much the Grand Canyon in game will look like the one in real life (well, considering the game is set 150 years or so into the future...). This'll be one to watch closer to launch date.

Oh, btw, small boo boo in the article.

Originally posted by the article 

MMORPG.com:

You are using a FPS system, how is this incorporated into the game? What made you choose this type of game play for Fallen Earth?

Lee Hammock:

You are using a FPS system, how is this incorporated into the game? What made you choose this type of game play for Fallen Earth? On a basic level the FPS system means your target has to be in your cross hairs in order to hit them. Players have weapon and defensive skills that affect damage, but the ability to hit a target is completely dependent on your ability to line them up in the cross hairs.
    We chose this in order to provide a more active game play style than most MMORPGs. Also with the genre we're working in, a more immersive, visceral play style seems to fit the setting very well.

Playing - --
    Played - AO, CoH/CoV, DDO, Eve, Guildwars, LOTRO, WoW.
    Waiting - For WAR, Fury.

• Spartan06Spartan06 Member Posts: 22
    Man I hope this game works out and picks up the ball where the dying, diseased corpse of Twilight War has left it.
  • HocheteHochete Member CommonPosts: 1,210
    Sounds promising. I do hope it'll feel like the Fallout series.

Not so sure about the 1st person approach though, will have to see how that works before making a judgement.

All in all I'm rather excited, certainly beats the over-used fantasy genre the industry is being poisoned with of late.