Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pirates of the Burning Sea: GDC Hands-On Preview

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

At the Game Developers Conference, Jon Wood had the opportunity to sit down and play Pirates of the Burning Sea, the nautical MMORPG being made by Flying Lab Software.

At the Game Developer's Conference, I had the opportunity to sit down and take a quick look at Flying Lab's Pirates of the Burning Sea. Now, fortunately for us, this was our second look at this game in the last month, Staff Writer Hasani Davis having been to the Flying Lab booth at the recent New York Comic Con, but I thought that it was worth giving a second opinion.

If you're tired of the same old cookie-cutter MMOs hitting the market, Pirates of the Burning Sea has probably been on your personal watch-list. Not only are some of the game mechanics new, interesting and innovative, but the entire setting is about as far away from the fictional game worlds of the classic fantasy WoW or edgy sci-fi EVE Online. No, this game is what might be called a historically-based fiction. PotBS is set right here on good old planet earth. No choosing between Elf, Dwarf or Orc here, instead, your choices are more terrestrial, Spanish, English, French, or of course, Pirate.

You can read the whole article here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• logicbomb82logicbomb82 Member UncommonPosts: 228
    nice write up Jon, been following this game since 04 and I had the pleasure of playing it at GenCon 06 which was the only reason I wanted to go. Let me just say this it was worth the $30 admission and the drive just to meet the Flying Labs guys and play this amazing game. I can't wait for it to realease in June, it will be the sleeper MMO of 07.
    I run the Mature Minded Gamers. We do video and board gaming videos and reviews. We also have a big Dungeons and Dragons community with multiple games active each week.
    Join us at: https://www.maturemindedgamers.com

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I think this game COULD beat all current MMORPGs on the market.

One suspects the devil's in the detail though - hope it doesn't go the same way as SWG.

• TymoraTymora Member UncommonPosts: 1,295
    My feelings about PotBS have been up and down since 2004 when I started to follow its development.  I've take a step or two back and moved onto other mmos to follow, but PotBS is creeping up on us now and I am interested to see how it'll be.  Development has taken some turns that initially turned me off to the game, but the overall package is want counts.  This is one mmo that I wish I had Beta privilages for, but it won't stop me from buying it on release day to see how it is.  Flying Labs has had a good track record so far.
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    I will probably play it, but first I'll wait for reputable reviewers to sum it up first.
  • BunglermooseBunglermoose Member Posts: 63
    I'll probably play it. I'm all about games with excellent character customization, and the non-traditional setting (i.e. not fantasy) definitely appeals to me.
  • KoolaiderKoolaider Member Posts: 450
    So hawt...
  • flakesflakes Member Posts: 575
    Allmost there....just a few more months..need..to....get ready....YARRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • velocityvelocity Member Posts: 102
    the game is p2p right, or f2p, i hope the realese it in stores with a pre paid game card if its gona be p2p, i would buy it and play it my whole life :D (as a pirate ofcourse, aahhh why the didnt put in The Netherlands where i live, we where good at ship building etc.. like The VOC) 
    Originally posted by velocity

the game is p2p right, or f2p, i hope the realese it in stores with a pre paid game card if its gona be p2p, i would buy it and play it my whole life :D (as a pirate ofcourse, aahhh why the didnt put in The Netherlands where i live, we where good at ship building etc.. like The VOC) 

I am dutch too...near breda to be precise.Anyway more people , also non-dutch, asked the same question why the dutch did not get their own nation since in that time the dutch still had one of the toughest fleets in the world and traded their ass of.The reply they got was that in the region they use for pirates of the burning sea the dutch only had a few islands as colony and mostly where occupied with colonizing indonesia at that time.Also the fact that the dutch mostly where in that region to trade slaves..wich offcourse is not implemented in the game.But no worries ... go pirate like most of us to revenge this decision .I for one am gonna play a "piet hein" on the spanish navy .

Small edit: i read that there are a few dutch guilds allready formed up.You can find em easily on google or on the POTBS website if you are interested.And yes it is p2p.

• SUMB44SUMB44 Member Posts: 182
    Because the Dutch are weak...  (read: Seinfeld allusion)
    Originally posted by SUMB44

And seinfeld is a genie?Mmmmm then i'd say read bassie en adriaan...

...at least the dutch where a nation back then , had some cities up there..mmm  something called new amsterdam ...

• korvasskorvass Member Posts: 616
    The Dutch are weak? At a certain point in history they had one of the most powerful fleets in the world, and immense influence. Check some historical navy battles. Not that I'm Dutch, but it continues to boggle me that games based in this time period (computer games and otherwise) forget to put in the Dutch... Anyone know that little constructable ships game with the little boats? That game has about 7-8 series, several hundred ships, and barely a handful of Dutch vessels... They aren't just famous for their strange laws on prostitution and soft drugs you know :)
  • LaserwolfLaserwolf Member Posts: 2,383
    80% of "Big Money" and "Big Name" MMORPGs end up being terrible. However 100% of Indie MMORPGs have thus far been terrible. I'd like to have hope but the writing is already on the wall.

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378
    Originally posted by SUMB44

No, that's the Ukraine. Ukraine is game to you??

This game looks really different, and these days that might be enough. The graphics look really good, can't wait to have a look at it myself.

• FlummoxedFlummoxed Member Posts: 591
    maybe the Dutch could be an EXPANSION    !!!
  • Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    Originally posted by Jack_Target

I think this game COULD beat all current MMORPGs on the market.
    One suspects the devil's in the detail though - hope it doesn't go the same way as SWG.

One of the concerns of mine about this game is the fact that they have not given any real level of detail. They could have a great game... or a total dog, there is no way to tell based on the information that they give out.

It will not be until this game goes into open beta, or maybe even until release that people will know how the game actually plays.. and whether it will be fun. Sadly, this will be too late to fix any issues that are not as good as they can be, and it will be too late for any real player feedback to change the game.

• smartkidzsmartkidz Member Posts: 252
    Yes!!! Only a couple more months to go. This game has been on my list for a while. I think it's time i found a Mimzy (Ugh. Even i cant believe i just said that) or a Time Machine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    =The best bash.org quote ever=
    Curt teh Juggler: our graduation ceremony was today, and right when some gamer nerd got his diploma, someone in the audience played the zelda "get item" music and he did the zelda spin-hold-out-item stance
    Curt teh Juggler: it was quite possibly the most amazing thing ever.

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

I am VERY glad to hear that PotBS will have supernatural elements in it.

Early on it sounded like the Devs were trying to make a 'historically accurate' game.  Forget that!  Who wants 'historical accuracy' when that would mean single wound to your leg would have a good chance of getting infected and killing your character?  

Plus for the people at the time, the supernatural was REAL.  They truly believed sea monsters and ghosts existed.   We might laugh at that now but how do you capture that fear and dread of sailing out on a moonless night and hearing some unearthly sound echoing across the waves?

By introducing real ghosts and sea monsters of course :)  Well done Flying Labs! 

• RehmesRehmes Member Posts: 600
    I for one cant wait to try this game......i wish i could get into beta DAMN YOU FLYING LABS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203
    Originally posted by Alienovrlord

Plus for the people at the time, the supernatural was REAL.  They truly believed sea monsters and ghosts existed.   We might laugh at that now but how do you capture that fear and dread of sailing out on a moonless night and hearing some unearthly sound echoing across the waves?
    By introducing real ghosts and sea monsters of course :)  Well done Flying Labs! 
    That is a very good point, in my opinion. Staying true to the feel of the colonial adventure genre is a smarter move than trying to be realistic in terms of atmosphere.
  • thallishthallish Member Posts: 20
    Why is it that every one who previews this game chose the dirty fighting? I need to hear more about the other two styles. Sure dirty sounds interesting, but if the other styles can not cope with that one everyone will be fighting dirty ... maybe they are not quite ready to show them to the public, or maybe it is because I have not read some older previews. Anybody heard of how the Florentine and rapier fencing styles are like?
  • logicbomb82logicbomb82 Member UncommonPosts: 228
    Because everyone at heart is a Pirate! Arrggg
    I run the Mature Minded Gamers. We do video and board gaming videos and reviews. We also have a big Dungeons and Dragons community with multiple games active each week.
    Join us at: https://www.maturemindedgamers.com

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203
    May seem odd but when I try to think of a pirate avatar, I always imagine him holding two rapiers...

So, shall it be Florentine for me then?
  • DikamekDikamek Member Posts: 12
    prediction: Half the pirates will have a peg leg (and a hook for a hand if possible).

Dikamek

• SupersonicSupersonic Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Looking forward to this game. Hopefully it will be releases on the date they promised.....................