Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning: GDC Interview with Games Workshop

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

News Editor Garrett Fuller caught up with Erik Mogensen and Jon Gillard from Games Workshop to talk about EA Mythic's Warhammer Online as well as the newly announced Warhammer 40K MMORPG.

At GDC this week MMORPG.com was able to spend some time talking with Erik Mogensen and Jon Gillard from Games Workshop. For those who do not know, Games Workshop has been around since the early 1980s. They have developed both RPG and table-top war games over the last twenty five years and remain one of the top companies in gaming. Both Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 (40k) have become very popular games on the table top platform and continue to make their way into the video game market. EA Mythic is currently working on the Warhammer Fantasy MMORPG and just last week, THQ had extended their contract with Games Workshop to include a Warhammer 40K MMO as well. With both of these licenses coming to the MMO market, Erik and Jon definitely have a busy schedule ahead of them. As Jon and Erik have pointed out, Games Workshop certainly has the fan expectations in mind as these games are developed.

When talking about the Warhammer 40K MMO that is being developed. Erik said the first thing that GW wants for players is "a really good MMO at the end of the day." THQ has had success with its Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War series and seem to be working very well with the IP. Vigil Games is the development studio with the task of building the game itself. GW plans to work closely with Vigil to oversee all aspects of the game. In the end GW will have full approval rights over Warhammer 40K. Erik said they do have a veto power, but he never looks at it that way. When working on a game he said that it usually never gets to that point. The developers work closely with GW throughout the process to present the Warhammer worlds in the best way for both teams. Erik mentioned that the development process is almost always a very positive atmosphere.

Read the whole article here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• Nimr0d23Nimr0d23 Member Posts: 58
    Warhammer 40k as MMO, finaly.

Probably somewhere around 2010, but I can wait.
  • UlrikUlrik Member Posts: 49
    I love the warhammer and the warhammer 40k table top games and novels.. will be very interesting how THQ do the WAR 40k MMO cant wait :) and cant wait to see the end product of W.A.R by mythic :D
  • lloydflylloydfly Member Posts: 1
    Sweet with the fantasy mearket being overwelmed it's great to see a Sci-Fi game from a great developer. Plus 40k has a great world to begin with
  • VillynVillyn Member Posts: 75
    umm this shouldnt be listed as a WAR topic... its Warhammer 40k....
  • AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

They talk a little about WAR, but most of the emphasis is on the new Warhammer 40K MMO.  Maybe they just put it under WAR since there's no category for the 40K game.

I'm wondering with it will be an FPS, RPG or maybe even a MMO strat game.   I think any one has potential to be a cool game.

• CiredricCiredric Member Posts: 723

Yeah a great developer that has zero experience building a MMO, I can see that working well.  There is a huge difference between RTS games and MMO games as THQ will find out.

Remember they had to boot the prior dev before Mythic because they were in over their heads.

We will have to wait and see how THQ does. 

• nickaanickaa Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by Ciredric

Yeah a great developer that has zero experience building a MMO, I can see that working well.  There is a huge difference between RTS games and MMO games as THQ will find out.
    Remember they had to boot the prior dev before Mythic because they were in over their heads.

Yeah, but take Blizzard's 1st MMO World of Warcraft. Its the best selling MMO ever!

One problem with 2 Warhammer games will be that they are competeing against each other, each company will lose sales and pretty shortly after one, or both, games may be cancelled. Just my prediction. (and it's probably the worst that can happen)

• tapeworm00tapeworm00 Member Posts: 549
    Originally posted by nickaa

Yeah, but take Blizzard's 1st MMO World of Warcraft. Its the best selling MMO ever!

One problem with 2 Warhammer games will be that they are competeing against each other, each company will lose sales and pretty shortly after one, or both, games may be cancelled. Just my prediction. (and it's probably the worst that can happen)

Well I think they can venture safely enough into both games since they attract different audiences, so they'll only be competing against each other indirectly. WAR will compete with/against WoW, Vanguard, Age of Conan and so on, while the WH40k game will compete against, I don't know, Planetside, Anarchy Online, and whatnot.

This isn't absolute, of course... probably some people who like Fantasy settings will go play 40k and viceversa.
  • BigxBigx Member Posts: 148

Well the other thing you have to consider is that it doesnt take many subscribers to keep the game alive.  AO and daoc been around with alot less people playing then wow but they are still alive.  One reason why wow is such a big hit is that it has a rich history already.  Warhammer been around longer then warcraft by far.  Wich one has a bigger fan base?  My prediction is that both can survive very very easy.  Who knows maybe alot of people might play both.
  • JustFinchJustFinch Member Posts: 113
    MMO - the only thing capable of destroying an entire genre and/or franchise.
  • KenageruKenageru Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by JustFinch

MMO - the only thing capable of destroying an entire genre and/or franchise.

While this is true for most games and/or franchises it is not possible in the case of Warhammer Fantasy Battles and Warhammer 40.000. Why? Because they were not pc games to begin with. They've only been on the pc medium for half a decade or so... The games have a huge fan-base that doesn't play the pc games. They play the tabletop games. The fan-base isn't consisting of  a horde of children who jump from game to game as soon as they've experienced a single dull moment in their candy-based lifes. The majority of the fans are adults.

Okay I might have gone too far to demonstrate my point, but I don't see any of the franchises in mention destroyed by a MMO

• jenbujenbu Member Posts: 4

will be nice to see how they pull off the balance aspect and what races there would be in it,

could turn out ot be a one sided battle or a very interesting mix

• FlummoxedFlummoxed Member Posts: 591
    Originally posted by Villyn

umm this shouldnt be listed as a WAR topic... its Warhammer 40k....

eek.  Already there's confusion with the name / brand. 

Imagine how befuddled the mass-market press / stores / customers will be

• DarwynFOURDarwynFOUR Member Posts: 55
    Meh

This interview reveals absolutely nothing.
  • Trick5terTrick5ter Member Posts: 22
    Touche Darwyn.

I've got mixed feelings about a 40K MMO. First off, whoever has played the actual table-top game can understand this.  This is NOT the universe for anything but a FPS. From Space Marines to Tau, and Dark Eldar to Chaos, it's usually all about the shooting. Now obviously you can argue for certain races(Nids, etc), but over all, this game would not work as a rpg. On that note, I'll be really anxious to hear what genre it'll be. Would love to play a Haemonculus, ripping puny Space Marines to shreds.
  • wilcoxonwilcoxon Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Originally posted by Kenageru
    While this is true for most games and/or franchises it is not possible in the case of Warhammer Fantasy Battles and Warhammer 40.000. Why? Because they were not pc games to begin with. They've only been on the pc medium for half a decade or so... The games have a huge fan-base that doesn't play the pc games. They play the tabletop games. The fan-base isn't consisting of  a horde of children who jump from game to game as soon as they've experienced a single dull moment in their candy-based lifes. The majority of the fans are adults.
    Okay I might have gone too far to demonstrate my point, but I don't see any of the franchises in mention destroyed by a MMO
    Actually, 40k pc games have been around since about 1990 (first I played was Space Hulk in 1991 or 1992).

I agree that a (or even two) failed MMOs will not significantly effect the Warhammer Fantasy or 40k franchises but it would be nice to see a pair of good MMOs.

I enjoy both Warhammer tabletop games (40k moreso).  However, I don't own any as I massively dislike GW's official rules for events (and most people at most game stores seem to insist on using them) - you must have the correct mini (which is priced based on usefulness and not on cost to manufacture), you must have it painted (and in one of the official paint schemes), etc.  Add to that that they fairly frequently intentionally obsolete books/minis and you are on a constant spiral of buying overpriced minis (and painting them).

Active: D&D Online (alpha,beta,&unlimited)

Retired: Anarchy Online, Archlord (beta), Auto Assault (beta), CoH/CoV, Dark Age of Camelot, Dungeon Runners, Elder Scrolls Online, Everquest, EVE, Guild Wars, Lord of the Rings Online (beta,live), Pathfinder Online (beta), Rift (beta,live), Secret World (beta,live), Star Wars Old Republic, Vanguard (beta), Warhammer (beta,live), World of Warcraft

• wilcoxonwilcoxon Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Originally posted by Trick5ter

Touche Darwyn.

I've got mixed feelings about a 40K MMO. First off, whoever has played the actual table-top game can understand this.  This is NOT the universe for anything but a FPS. From Space Marines to Tau, and Dark Eldar to Chaos, it's usually all about the shooting. Now obviously you can argue for certain races(Nids, etc), but over all, this game would not work as a rpg. On that note, I'll be really anxious to hear what genre it'll be. Would love to play a Haemonculus, ripping puny Space Marines to shreds.
    There have been a few fun non-FPS non-RTS 40k pc games (my favorite being Space Hulk from back around 1990) so it could work.

I would love to play a 40k MMO.  However, I hate FPS games so if they go the MMO-FPS route (instead of MMO-RPG), I will not be playing.

Here's hoping they come up with a good MMO-RPG.

Active: D&D Online (alpha,beta,&unlimited)

Retired: Anarchy Online, Archlord (beta), Auto Assault (beta), CoH/CoV, Dark Age of Camelot, Dungeon Runners, Elder Scrolls Online, Everquest, EVE, Guild Wars, Lord of the Rings Online (beta,live), Pathfinder Online (beta), Rift (beta,live), Secret World (beta,live), Star Wars Old Republic, Vanguard (beta), Warhammer (beta,live), World of Warcraft

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

im really glad they are doing 40K    and i think it will top the other sci fi games    

still i reallyed wanted a Star Craft MMO but i guess it wont be happening  (i would only pretty much want Mythic to do it cause it would need great PVP)

but again im looking forward to WAR but i will get 40K      (hope it turns out well)

• DajminDajmin Member Posts: 54

THQ have done a really good job with the IP when it comes to Dawn of War. I have never played a finer RTS title, and the multiplayer is fantastic. I hope they can recreate the intensity of an 8v8 battle with hundreds of troops per player.
    Every expansion has been a work of art, and although sometimes their stories are a little lacking, the gameplay and especially the all-important multiplayer have been great. Unless you count relying on GameSpy for their hosting.

Only time will tell what they do with the franchise as a MMORPG. Good luck to them.

• kmilnerkmilner Member Posts: 35
    Well, for one they really won't be competing. They've JUST announced the 40k game, figuring MMO lifecycle development, that means it might be out around '12 (good god thats closer than it used to be. Thats close to the year "Back to the future part II" was set in, but I digress).
    Meanwhile, I believe WAR is supposed to be out later this year (so expect it summer '08)
    Thats a four year window. Lots of time for both games.
    Now if we can just get someone to make a Bloodbowl MMO, that would be totally sweet. My undead football team would kick your asses. (unless you play warewolves, then its "gimme my leg bone back!")
  • DragoFireDragoFire Member Posts: 8

I can see WH40k being an good MMORPG,taking the orginal WH40k RougeTrader RPG and adding all the newer races (races atm; human {spacemarines, imperialguard, witchhunters, etc...}, Elder, Orcs, Chaos, Genstealers, Dark-Elder, Tau, Necrons and some more from RougeTrader{halflings,Gnom,es, Ogres, Dwarfs,etc...}), equipment and newer combat rules(combat balancing for over 20years). There is great possiblities here.

I'd be interest if there be Titans(epic) and even spacebattles(gothic) added to the mix?

DragoFire

• TungonTungon Member Posts: 3
    I think Warhammer Online will be the best PvP MMORPG.

BTW: Nice Interview
  • mechwarriormechwarrior Member Posts: 241
    So wait he said NEXT summer of warhammer online. Does that mean 2008? I thought 2007.
  • AcelifAcelif Member Posts: 12

Except, it isn't ;)
  • AsmodaiiAsmodaii Member Posts: 1

Wow a 40k onliner, thats gonna be a hard one to pull off, so i hope they dont make a mess of it.

Me personally i reckon it will have to be a fps/3p view combo, maybe fp for the ranged combat then it will switch views to probably somthing similar to wow, with a target lock on system. Dunno will be a massive task. Cant wait for some more concrete news on it, meanwhile WAR looks like its gonna be good as well.

Dark Angels ftw!!